Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Yinlock posted:

they're definitely making enough money but otoh it's just a voice thing who gives a poo poo

if it was an ID or something i'd be mad but as is it's just whale bait

e: course again i'm biased because i never use those voice things

I'm going to agree that it's not that important for the sole reason that it is just some voiceline. It doesn't even affect the gameplay other than player satisfaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
maybe it's just not being level 40 yet but god drat these new thread luxcavations are tough

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Numbus26 posted:

maybe it's just not being level 40 yet but god drat these new thread luxcavations are tough

Yeah, I was gonna come in to post this. Bull and Tour are both just vicious. Now, granted, I remember when the XP luxcavation N-corp dudes were scary, or MD2H runs were actual gambles -- so maybe power creep will stabilize things, but

holy poo poo

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
In my experience I just auto them and they fold like paper, might be because I'm level 40 though.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
+5 attack difference between 35 and 40 is a minimum of +1 on all coin clashes and also atk/def going up helps with the actual numbers dealt.

It's decently significant.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Getting the observation level up also helps. 15% damage shouldn't be discounted.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJhsuvvltk
[000] The Middle Little Sister Don Quixote
[00] The Middle Little Brother Meursault

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/7423682540479434712

News update, with a roadmap from now to chapter 6.

We've got a Christmas event and a Blade Lineage event between now and chapter 6!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Next two identities announced. Little Brother Meursault and Little Sister Don. The Middle are Yakuza as hell (and extremely Jojo).

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Next two identities announced. Little Brother Meursault and Little Sister Don. The Middle are Yakuza as hell (and extremely Jojo).

They look like a combination of the Stray Dogs and the Rusted Chains, which makes me think both of those organizations were either imitating them or actual subsidary groups like the Twinhook Pirates are. Also they've got their own Book of Grudges like Warhammer Fantasy dwarves.

Also you can get a look at the Big Brother in Don's artwork, looks like he's got eyes that actually glow with power. That wasn't just a dramatic effect because he was shrouded in darkness. He also looks a bit like Shanks from One Piece. (I'm surprised he's not Vergil in the mirror world, honestly)

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 17, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Most of the small syndicates seem supported by a larger syndicate to some extent. Presumably because it helps the Larger Syndicates manage more area. I imagine it's generally based on what sort of organisation/vibe your own Syndicate has matching well with the bigger syndicate.

So the Twinhook Pirates whose captain is all about that vengeance and are a merry family of buccaneers are supported by the Middle.

It's likely all 3 of the Syndicates from Canto 2 are ring Subsidiaries as another example. Each of them have an "artistic" pursuit.

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
Middle don, is making me go awooga

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

GilliamYaeger posted:

[000] The Middle Little Sister Don Quixote
[00] The Middle Little Brother Meursault

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/7423682540479434712

News update, with a roadmap from now to chapter 6.

We've got a Christmas event and a Blade Lineage event between now and chapter 6!
Blade Lineage baby!!!

GilliamYaeger posted:

They look like a combination of the Stray Dogs and the Rusted Chains, which makes me think both of those organizations were either imitating them or actual subsidary groups like the Twinhook Pirates are. Also they've got their own Book of Grudges like Warhammer Fantasy dwarves.

Also you can get a look at the Big Brother in Don's artwork, looks like he's got eyes that actually glow with power. That wasn't just a dramatic effect because he was shrouded in darkness. He also looks a bit like Shanks from One Piece. (I'm surprised he's not Vergil in the mirror world, honestly)

The Stray Dogs were working for the thumb though, hiring and killing a Middle subsidiary or just aping a different finger sounds like a big mess. It's also a bit interesting that Don and Meursault are answering to the Big Brother, while Pirate Greg is under the protection of a Big Sister.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I love Don's :3: face in the base art, but I'm not a big fan of how her breasts are accentuated in the upgraded art. Limbus has been pretty good thus far but some artworks definitely feel more sexualized than they have ever been in the previous games.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

microfolk posted:

I love Don's :3: face in the base art, but I'm not a big fan of how her breasts are accentuated in the upgraded art. Limbus has been pretty good thus far but some artworks definitely feel more sexualized than they have ever been in the previous games.

Personally I think the art is weirder because the style makes it look like they pasted her head on somebody else's body. Real Ruina vibes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The lack of visible neck is the issue. But honestly it's no worse looking to me than the Kurokumo skins. Don specifically just hasn't gotten a skin like this before.

But really take a look at KK Rodion, or Ryoshu, or Hong Lu.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

microfolk posted:

Yeah, but not as much if you factor in the fact that the art has never been this detailed. Angela's boobs and Gebura's thighs in Lobotomy are pretty darn sexual, and Sayu and Meow are real character designs that exist. There's a shot of Meow facing the camera and exulting in the pianists music that would be about as sexual as Middle Don if the art style was more like the ID art's than it was.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Finished the first part. Overall, I think it was significant improvement over the first part of Canto IV and overall might be my favorite Canto introduction. To be fair, writing a story around Ishmael's manic obsession is probably far easier than around Yi Sang's depressive passivity, but even so, I feel like they listened and improved over basically every complaint I had about Canto IV.

Spoilers

Ishmael's teetering on a brink of mental breakdown the whole time, while committing what is basically a murder spree and being simultaneously insubordinate and hyper-competent was a sight to behold. The VA performance was also rock solid and you could hear Ishmael losing it just from the breathing. I was basically tense and uncomfortable whenever Ishmael was on screen.
I also really like how we are finally having pretty visible changes of our characters based on the event of past Cantos. The most obvious is Yi Sang coming out of his shell and trying to socialize in his own lovable weirdo way, but we also have stuff like Sinclair being guilty about death of Effie and Saude (heh), or Dante becoming significantly more aware that non-Sinner people around him tend to drop like flies and actively trying to prevent it. I really didn't expect that Shmee would survive, for example. I felt that Cantos were a bit too insular until now, so I really appreciate that the previous developments and consequences are finally beginning to spill over. Saude being alive is also a nice surprise. Hope we meet her and she isn't too hosed up.
Great Lake is also a great setting, I love how it's suitably alien and oppressive, but you also have things like literal pirates and rave clubs. I also can't help but to notice that the whole "changing zones" thing with laws and waves and no going back, would make for a pretty solid variation of a Mirror Dungeon.... :v:

Also people are talking about Don's dons, but it's shameful how no one mentions Meursault's beefcake almost literally bursting out of his tank-top. :colbert:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
chestwraps are cool as hell actually

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

i had to double-take when i saw that don was the 000 of the two considering their narrative hierarchy in the preview

i'm surprised that Ishmael didn't get an 000 like Yi Sang but then again she already has 3 good ones while he only had pre-ut4 blade so

e: also ch. 6 is definitely Heathcliff's.

and is that fuckin bamboo kim. has our son returned from the war

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 17, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They are actually both "little" brother and little sister. Despite appearance-wise Meursalt being textbook big brother and Don textbook little sister. :v:

Also it seems that "Sister" is above "Brother" as far as ranks go in Middle. Both with Don being 000 compared to Meursalt's 00 and because Shmee brought up Big Sister after she threatened Sinners with Big Brother as if Big Sister was a far bigger deal.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yinlock posted:

i had to double-take when i saw that don was the 000 of the two considering their narrative hierarchy in the preview

i'm surprised that Ishmael didn't get an 000 like Yi Sang but then again she already has 3 good ones while he only had pre-ut4 blade so

Chapter 5: Smee says that she's protected by the Middle, a Big Brother, or even a Big Sister would come for the group if they killed her. Which makes it sounds like sisters ranks higher on the hierarchy

Yinlock posted:

e: also ch. 6 is definitely Heathcliff's.

Yup, follows the sinner introduction so far. Also, appears to be in T like people assumed? The banner itself is monochromic and the 5.5 Christmas event is in District 20, which is T right?

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 17, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Marluxia posted:

Chapter 5: Smee says that she's protected by the Middle, a Big Brother, or even a Big Sister would come for the group if they killed her. Which makes it sounds like sisters ranks higher on the hierarchy

I meant more that Don was hollering about how anyone who annoys Big Brother must die which is a textbook underling thing but Meursault is the 00, but they're also both apparently Little _____ so it's moot

e:

Marluxia posted:

Yup, follows the sinner introduction so far. Also, appears to be in T like people assumed? The banner itself is monochromic and the 5.5 Christmas event is in District 20, which is T right?

there's a lil bit of red in the grass so it's hard to say, it's definitely blandly colored but doesn't seem quite sepiatone. that might be a sign of a family falling on hard times though and getting their color reposessed by the district t repo squad

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 17, 2023

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

YES bread posted:

chestwraps are cool as hell actually

100% agree, I just could do without the male-gazey artwork.

But anyways I just noticed how they announced that going forward we'll get two minichapters between cantos, that's really good! I'll miss the VA in those but it's a good tradeoff.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

microfolk posted:

100% agree, I just could do without the male-gazey artwork.

nah its fine. pirate gregs whole thing is way more sexualized than anything in don's trailer lmao

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

https://twitter.com/ProjMoonStudio/status/1725522645238850011
So a concert or something is happening.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

You know, mermaid perfume reads as a lot more horrifying once you learn what a mermaid really is.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
"Ex-human perfume! Get your ex-human perfume! Made out of 100% ex-humans! While you're here, why not get some ice cream made from some ex-humans? Tastes just like the real thing!"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wouldn't be surprised if "use U-Corp singularity to create whales > let whales roam the great lake and.... produce mermaids > harvest mermaids for their now valuable parts" is like the main production/economics cycle U-Corp has going on, like K-Corp with their tears.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also in 5-19 the 4-wave fight with a 10 turn EX was actually pretty fun.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if "use U-Corp singularity to create whales > let whales roam the great lake and.... produce mermaids > harvest mermaids for their now valuable parts" is like the main production/economics cycle U-Corp has going on, like K-Corp with their tears.

except mermaid products don't make much money as gets mentioned several times. thats why the twinhooks got into kidnapping and extortion. could see the whales serving some as yet unknown purpose or just being weird by-products themselves

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Years ago, we learned that the Middle logo would be like 'exactly what you think it is', and now it is confirmed to be a skull that's flipping you off. Very good :v:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

LostRook posted:

Peter Pan Hook means one of the Five Calamities is a ticking crocodile I bet.

https://twitter.com/RmenSSARI/status/1725348666784059635

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

YES bread posted:

except mermaid products don't make much money as gets mentioned several times. thats why the twinhooks got into kidnapping and extortion. could see the whales serving some as yet unknown purpose or just being weird by-products themselves

Twinhooks seem like small players, the only thing that makes them even close to dangerous is the personal connections their leaders have to Middle. It's entirely possible that they can only manage to get tiny scraps of the profit the real players are making. It's worth noting that basically every product mentioned so far in the Canto was derived from either mermaids or whales.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Twinhooks seem like small players, the only thing that makes them even close to dangerous is the personal connections their leaders have to Middle. It's entirely possible that they can only manage to get tiny scraps of the profit the real players are making. It's worth noting that basically every product mentioned so far in the Canto was derived from either mermaids or whales.

if mermaid products were such a big money maker for U corp then how would small players get a hold of them at all, and simultaneously not be able to make enough money from them to make ends meet. makes zero sense frankly.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Let's be real, the true use of U Corp's Singularity is going to be something that makes Mermaids look like charity work.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
on a related note the presentation for the final fights in this update were Cool as gently caress, very excited to see where things go

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

YES bread posted:

if mermaid products were such a big money maker for U corp then how would small players get a hold of them at all, and simultaneously not be able to make enough money from them to make ends meet. makes zero sense frankly.

???

It's outright stated that there are many types of whales and mermaids. Is it somehow ridiculous to assume that parts from different types of mermaids have different uses, that some are far more profitable than others and that the more lucrative whales/mermaids are either too dangerous for smaller syndicates, or that the bigger players restrict access to them? And that there are types of mermaids that bigger players consider trash not worth the effort, but small fries can eke livelihood out of?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
It's reasonable to assume that a pirate gang running Mermaid processing as a semi-legitimate side gig is probably not super representative of the financial viability of the field as a whole, yes. There are probably people that actually specialize in that to varying degrees of profitability, I'd assume running the gamut from impoverished backstreets fishermen to giant Mermaid trawlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
at most its just indicative that its not going to be U-corp's main thing since all the corps have very tight grips on their singularities and the revenue streams they generate. these are the mundane every-day horrors of the first act after all