Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

The_Doctor posted:

We just gonna memory hole that he was in Dr Strange?

Movie sucked, so I'm all for that.

Arist posted:

Krasinski was so goddamn boring as Reed

One of the worst casting decisions in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Just finished Loki today. It was one of the best story endings in the MCU. The second season got a little lost for a bit, but the ending was great and tied up the character wonderfully.

I like to imagine that Loki healing the dying branches was him doing something with his own variants in those branches (which is why they turn green), potentially even putting those variants into the Loki role to begin with. That would tie into why the variants for Loki are so extreme - Loki always exists, even if he's an alligator.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh I completely forgot about Forge. What was his mutant power? He could... make anything? Which, I never quite understood that.

Cyclops: I need to be able to do [insert crazy task]
Forge: Oh, uh (five minutes later) - here, take this.
Cyclops: What is this?
Forge: Push the button on this device, and it'll do that thing you need to do.
Cyclops: (pushes button, thing is done) Huh. It did the thing. That's it?
Forge: That's it.
Cyclops: How does it work, exactly?
Forge: ... I have no idea.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That's an aspect of Forge that gets extrapolated into Mitchell Hundred for Ex Machina. Yes, he can build you a ray gun that looks like a prop from The Day the Earth Stood Still and it will function exactly how you think it should. No, he doesn't know exactly what laws of physics he broke to build it but it works so please leave.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So Forge is an Orc from Warhammer?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Arist posted:

He was, but Anson Mount's story in Reign of Marvel Studios makes that entire scene sound like a complete nightmare for everyone involved, like it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was told that Krasinski never met any of the other actors and had no real context for what he was saying and doing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Arist posted:

So you're saying he nailed the character perfectly?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm a broken record on it but I think Reed Richards should be the most frustratingly nice man in the universe. Just a really nice, friendly, happy guy who is incredibly supportive of people but has no comprehension of the fact that 99.9999% of people - including certified geniuses - are completely incapable of keeping up with what he thinks of as the most basic and rudimentary principles of science.

Wanna see him patting Tony Stark on the back and saying,"Great job, champ!" when he sees the most modern Iron Man armor but asking in friendly confusion why he didn't build the armor into his own DNA. Happily asking Rocket Raccoon if he'd like to join his class of 8-year-olds in the Future Foundation because,"I'm sure you'll get caught up in no time". Asking Hank Pym why his shrinking tech can ONLY go down as far as the Quantum Realm.

Also he releases all his patents for globe-changing tech into the public domain and can't figure out why even after simplifying them as much as possible, all the world's top scientists still can't figure out how the gently caress any of it works.

Plus of course the one person who CAN understand any of it is Doom, and Reed is just thrilled and pleased as punch to shoot the poo poo with a fellow scientist while Doom is utterly infuriated that somebody else is in the same league as him.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Feige just needs to find the strength to do the right thing and cast Glenn Howerton.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Glenn as Doom, Charlie as Reed but specifically from that one episode where the stupid science bitches fail to make him smart.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Dave posted:

Feige just needs to find the strength to do the right thing and cast Glenn Howerton.

Just cast all of the Always Sunny people. Devito can be the thing and Charlie can be Mole Man.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

dingo with a joint posted:

One of the worst casting decisions in the MCU.

Just say it was doom and he got his face scars from Dormamu. His name in Strange was an alias to hide he was the ruler of a country.

Comics have used worse origins.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Jerusalem posted:

Glenn as Doom, Charlie as Reed but specifically from that one episode where the stupid science bitches fail to make him smart.

I now have Charlie Day delivering "check out Doctor Doom over here" rattling around my head, which is cheering me up

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Red posted:

They're finally figuring out that endlessly rolling out poo poo regardless of quality harms the brand.

Wish they'd figured this out before making Secret Invasion.

Now they can go tell the Star Wars people about their amazing discovery.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Cast Jesse Bradford as Dr. Doom. He finally settled on a handle.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

badjohny posted:

Just say it was doom and he got his face scars from Dormamu. His name in Strange was an alias to hide he was the ruler of a country.

Comics have used worse origins.

I'd hate it because I really, really want Doom to have the systematic oppression of the Roma people included in his backstory.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A.o.D. posted:

I'd hate it because I really, really want Doom to have the systematic oppression of the Roma people included in his backstory.

Then they'd have to China-tise the movie when it gets released in Europe.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now they can go tell the Star Wars people about their amazing discovery.

Too late, they already have poop on their hands from Obi Wan

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I had fun with Loki but I don't get how it fits in with the rest of the multiverse nonsense at all. Are alternate universes and alternate timelines different concepts, meaning you can have infinite different universes within one timeline? Or are alternate universes just alternate timelines that split earlier and are widely different?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Elman posted:

I had fun with Loki but I don't get how it fits in with the rest of the multiverse nonsense at all. Are alternate universes and alternate timelines different concepts, meaning you can have infinite different universes within one timeline? Or are alternate universes just alternate timelines that split earlier and are widely different?

It's literally just "TVA exists outside of time and has different rules."

Alternate universes are just alternate timelines that split off.

Loki just has special time travel rules in the TVA so they can head off the questions about how time travel is supposed to work in the MCU.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Elman posted:

On the one hand,

On the other hand, it's open to interpretation so they haven't closed the door on it, but it seems like multiverse and timelines are probably the same thing yeah

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's literally just "TVA exists outside of time and has different rules."

Alternate universes are just alternate timelines that split off.

Loki just has special time travel rules in the TVA so they can head off the questions about how time travel is supposed to work in the MCU.

Actually yeah in that last scene they seem to reference Quantumania so I guess it implies there's no different universes, just different timelines. So I don't get how Kang can ever be a threat.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
kang's toast, writer and director are off kang dynasty, moving on

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Different universes are different timelines.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nikumatic posted:

kang's toast, writer and director are off kang dynasty, moving on

It's the opposite. They moved the director of Kang off to focus entirely on Shang-Chi 2 (he was previously supposed to work on Shang-Chi 2, Wonderman, and Kang Dynasty at the same time) and because they wanted one single director for both Avengers movies and to be devoted to them full time.

They pulled in the Multiverse of Madness and Loki writer for the scripts and they are looking at Sam Raimi or Jon Favreau to direct both Avengers movies. They are moving their "tried and tested" directors and writers to Kang.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Finally finished Loki last night. I wasn't digging this season nearly as much as the last through the first four episodes. But eps 5 and 6, holy poo poo. That was some of the best MCU content there's been. You really got a sense that for once, a team took their time, figured out exactly what story they wanted to tell and got to actually tell it. Definitely the most satisfying MCU entry this side of GotG3 in Phase 5, and easily top-3 post-Endgame.

I hope that's it for Loki though. There really is nowhere to go but down (literally, I guess?) and what a hell of a character arc.

That said, even though nothing has been determined for sure with the Kang story irl, the ending really gave a strong "Kang died on the way to his home planet" vibe in case Marvel pivots. But I really don't know what else there is to do with Kang. He already seized control of all time and lost it, and it's the umpteenth time we've seen him defeated on screen. I guess we'll once the Jonathan Majors case begins trial in a week or two.

The only gripe I kind of had was the Sylvie was under-utilized, but I guess she served her purpose of helping prime-Loki determine what type of god he wanted to be.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 17, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bentacos posted:

Make Chris Evans Johnny Storm again.

He did say he'd rather come back as Johnny Storm than Cap, if he came back at all.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
What areas other than the tva exist outside the multiverse

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What areas other than the tva exist outside the multiverse

The Watcher's nest thingy, and that bar he made in What If?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Presumably wherever Death etc hang out.

Valhalla maybe?

It seems like maybe the microverse quantum realm is shared between universes somehow?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The quantum realm is described as "616 adjacent" in Loki season 2, so it seems like other timelines would have their own quantum rralms

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:allears:

https://twitter.com/spideysbrie/status/1725259728798835069

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Raimi getting the Avengers movies would be awesome if they keep the producer meddling to the minimum

MoM had a couple of problems but Raimi’s direction was perfect for the screenplay

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's the opposite. They moved the director of Kang off to focus entirely on Shang-Chi 2 (he was previously supposed to work on Shang-Chi 2, Wonderman, and Kang Dynasty at the same time) and because they wanted one single director for both Avengers movies and to be devoted to them full time.

They pulled in the Multiverse of Madness and Loki writer for the scripts and they are looking at Sam Raimi or Jon Favreau to direct both Avengers movies. They are moving their "tried and tested" directors and writers to Kang.

Sam Raimi as the director would loving rock!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I want a David Cronenberg directed Secret Wars.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elman posted:

I was under the impression that all the multiverse stuff in the other stories is a product of the end of Loki, but since the TVA exists outside of time things have always been part of a multiverse from the perspective of anyone actually in any of those timelines/universes.

The coherency of the whole concept is not helped by the nonsense inherent in the concept of alternate universes. Branching timelines- sure, that makes sense. But clearly there wasn't just one thing that went different for there to be an alligator Loki. Particularly multiverse stuff with all the Spiders Men played by different characters or what have you. That is supposing that the concept of a spider man is some sort of elemental concept that manifests differently in different universes. It's not a coherent material concept, it's supposing that the fundamental nature of the universe is narrative.

And that's fine. They're rolling with it, and it's fun. But you can't really apply any sort of causal logic to explain the multiverse. It's an inherently narrative concept.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Protect Iman Vellani at all costs.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Saw the Marvels last night, only group in the theater but frankly it was a solid as hell movie. Short, funny, moved itself along and didn't try and do too much but still built some on the characters.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So thinking about Loki more…

They explicitly drew a distinction between science and fiction. They explicitly identified Loki with fiction. And the story was resolved with Loki becoming the God of Time (and Stories).

Earlier in the season they were framing within the series to be about the problems we face now in society. That’s always what any good science fiction as a genre is about. Good sci-fi is about now.

The show is asserting the solutions to the problems of now, are found in myth, in story.

I think it’s correct

Edit: and that the content of that myth is being-for-others

Eiba posted:

it's supposing that the fundamental nature of the universe is narrative.

I vibe with all this

Elendil004 posted:

Saw the Marvels last night, only group in the theater but frankly it was a solid as hell movie. Short, funny, moved itself along and didn't try and do too much but still built some on the characters.

this too

dingo with a joint posted:

not this though, first Dr. Strange is great, what the hell :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Dang just finished Loki and really enjoyed it. Finale was on point

Elendil004 posted:

I'll go see it this weekend I think