Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the Alaska island thing is dumb and reminds me of a clip of some dude that kinda thought islands floated on water.

people are just stupid as gently caress. also they probably just dont have the personality/ mentality to take the info they learn from school and apply it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
funny thing, a post about the Bin Laden TikTok stuff just popped up on my tumblr dash

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
"look at what people are saying on TikTok" has to be the least interesting topic of discussion possible. Insipid beyond all recognition.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Avocado toast but now millennials are allowed to participate

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Perhaps the youths on tiktok would enjoy the works of Dr. Noam Chomsky.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPolls2022/status/1724940242744954967

Is Fox still using a high quality normie pollster or did they jettison them after 2020? Assuming high quality and not a rigged poll, this I think would give more credence to "the polling is fucky" as these don't comport with the election outcomes we've been seeing over the last 2 years. "Democrats are popular but Biden isn't" was one argument against that, but this poll shows that all democrats are performing equally as poor as Biden.

Just look at the actual poll itself.

While it doesn't directly say how many Republicans were polled vs how many Democrats, one of the questions it asks is whether the respondent will vote in the Dem primary or the GOP primary, which is probably a pretty good proxy for respondents' party ID. And on that question, the GOP led by 6 points, so it's fair to say there were more Republicans than Democrats in that poll. With that in mind, it's not very surprising that Trump led Biden by 6 points in the poll.

As for the other matchups, the poll actually pulled a trick that the tweet doesn't tell us about. It didn't actually ask about "Donald Trump" vs "Kamala Harris", it asked about "Republican Donald Trump" vs "Democrat Kamala Harris". Same for the rest - it put their party ID right next to their names, ensuring that in the case of candidates with less name recognition, people would fall back to their standard partisan positions instead of answering "Don't Know" or "Don't Care".

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
The tricky thing with interpreting polls is you have to scrutinize not just the top line numbers like sample size and margin of error, but you also really have to think about the implications of methodology.

Looking at the top line numbers in the Fox News poll, we get a margin of error of 3.0 for the total sample. Not too bad. But the MOE for sub groups is always going to be larger. For example, the MOE for. Black respondents (any age any gender, and any party affiliation) is 9.0. so we know those estimates are probably going to be farther off from the true value than the full sample.

But you also have to remember that all these numbers rely on assumptions based on the idea that your sample is truly random. The farther off the sample is from a true random sample the more skepticism we have to give all these numbers.

This is where methodology comes into play. if your sample of Black people is not representative of the actual black population, you can increase the sample size to 10,000 and you still will have an estimate and a margin of error that is off in ways that you won't be able to predict. You can use weighting to compensate if your sample over represents certain racial groups, but it's harder to compensate for bias from variables that are not known. In other words, it's easier to correct the problem if you oversample white voters than it is if your sampling methodology gives you a non-random sample of black voters.

Those sources of bias are harder to quantify and typically unknown so they don't get adjusted for. So if you're doing a cell phone survey and 95% of people hang up on you that remaining 5% is unlikely to be representative. So we should be skeptical of the already-unimpressive 9.0 margin of error for black voters in this poll unless Fox has done some truly outstanding polling that nobody else has figured out.

Now take 100 polls using that same methodology and analyze the results together. The results will tell you that the margin of error is much smaller, giving you a better confidence in your overall estimate. But its an unfounded confidence, because if those hundred polls are all taken using that same methodology that is unrepresentative, that estimated margin of error still isn't the true margin of error. It, along with your estimate will be off in ways you can't predict.

If you knew all the ways that your sample was different from the true population, you could theoretically compensate, but the critical information you would need to do that is held by the 95% of people that hung up on you.

That's not to say that this poll is necessarily off by a huge amount, or that pulling methodology as a whole is fatally flawed. But I think the fact that we're frequently surprised by the discrepancy between poll results and election results indicates that the polling methodology is frequently yielding unrepresentative samples even in so-called gold standard polls. I think this still isn't a solved problem in the field. If it was 538 would be making a lot more correct calls than they actually do.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

koolkal posted:

Avocado toast but now millennials are allowed to participate

“It’s anti-Semitic to read Osama Bin Laden’s letter!” Meanwhile the leadership of the Democratic party of the United States is hanging out at a pro-apartheid rally with noted far-right bigot and anti-Semite John Hagee which said much worse things about Jews far more recently and is still, you know, alive.

The whole OBL letter will have a much greater impact on people that love to talk poo poo about “kids these days” than the zoomers themselves, just like everything else.

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 17, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BUUNNI posted:

“It’s anti-Semitic to read Osama Bin Laden’s letter!” Meanwhile the president of the United States is hanging out at a pro-apartheid rally with noted far-right bigot and anti-Semite John Hagee which said much worse things about Jews far more recently and is still, you know, alive.

The whole OBL letter will have a much greater impact on people that love to talk poo poo about “kids these days” than the zoomers themselves, just like everything else.

Ok millenial

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BUUNNI posted:

“It’s anti-Semitic to read Osama Bin Laden’s letter!”

I think I found where the anger is coming from, you seem to be upset at something that no one here actually said.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I think I found where the anger is coming from, you seem to be upset at something that no one here actually said.

When I posted about Russian payments to TikTok influencers they brought up the Biden campaign as a complete non sequitur/whataboutism argument I didn't bother engaging with. Got Diamond Joe on the mind.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

BUUNNI posted:

“It’s anti-Semitic to read Osama Bin Laden’s letter!” Meanwhile the president of the United States is hanging out at a pro-apartheid rally with noted far-right bigot and anti-Semite John Hagee which said much worse things about Jews far more recently and is still, you know, alive.

Do you still truly believe there's no difference between reading the letter and reading the letter out loud on tiktok, saying that he actually had a good point?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bwee posted:

Do you still truly believe there's no difference between reading the letter and reading the letter out loud on tiktok, saying that he actually had a good point?

He had a lot of points, some of which were good, and some of which were bad. Osama bin Laden contained multitudes, like all of us. He certainly wasn’t a stupid person, and it’s definitely worth reading his letter from a historical perspective.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Bwee posted:

Again, the impact that this trend will have on old people that are afraid of the US losing hegemonic status and say poo poo about “kids these days” is much higher than the impact on young people themselves.

Tiny Timbs posted:

When I posted about Russian payments to TikTok influencers they brought up the Biden campaign as a complete non sequitur/whataboutism argument I didn't bother engaging with. Got Diamond Joe on the mind.

Ah yes, if you’re disillusioned by the US you just consumed Russian propaganda.

But we definitely shouldn’t have any issues with Dem leaders and pastor John Hagee at the march for Israel Rally.

E: Edited due to a factual error

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 17, 2023

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Whose re-reg are you?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BUUNNI posted:

Again, the impact that this trend will have on old people that are afraid of the US losing hegemonic status and say poo poo about “kids these days” is much higher than the impact on young people themselves.

Ah yes, if you’re disillusioned by the US you just consumed Russian propaganda.

But we definitely shouldn’t have any issues with Diamond Joe and pastor John Hagee at the march for Israel Rally.

Biden wasn't even in the country when the march for Israel rally happened. Not sure how he shared a stage with John Hagee.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

He had a lot of points, some of which were good, and some of which were bad. Osama bin Laden contained multitudes, like all of us. He certainly wasn’t a stupid person, and it’s definitely worth reading his letter from a historical perspective.

In conclusion, Bin Laden is a man of contrasts.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden wasn't even in the country when the march for Israel rally happened. Not sure how he shared a stage with John Hagee.

Clearly my media literacy has failed me and I wrongly assumed Dem leadership would include Biden. I was wrong. It’s Sen. Schumer, Rep. Jeffreys, and others, Diamond Joe was not at the pro-apartheid rally.

Mea culpa.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

selec posted:

Why praise the points of a heinous person when you can gather the same points from other people? Especially when the others don't have a lot of other horrendous views and don't plan/carry out atrocious acts?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 17, 2023

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Also when the good points (America is a colonialist empire) are underscored by "because America is run by the Jews"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://x.com/HeerJeet/status/1725392874492035517?s=20

Whole thing was bullshit astroturf guys

Just exploiting "dumb zoomer" bias

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalit posted:

Why praise the points of a heinous person when you can gather the same points from other people who don't plan/carry out atrocious acts?

Because ultimately learning history isn’t the anodyne pursuit of personal virtue and avoidance of samizdat. In fact, the samizdat is where a lot of the interesting detail lurks.

I think people find the bin Laden letter interesting because it’s much more nuanced than the discussion and rhetoric around 9/11 was from our own alleged thought leaders. It offers a much more compelling narrative than “they hate us for our freedoms”. This doesn’t mean you gotta agree with every last point, but it does tend to complicate the understanding people have about the US and our history as the hegemon. It makes more sense, and offers more meaningful detail and explicative value than a lot of people got in school or just from what floats around our cultural aether.

If people discovering this source and finding it enlightening pisses people off, don’t blame OBL or TikTok, blame a propaganda narrative that gets fed to the nation that is so thin and easily cast away the moment a contemporary primary source arrives that is from a different perspective than the one being offered up gets a little renewed interest.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
N/m

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BUUNNI posted:

“It’s anti-Semitic to read Osama Bin Laden’s letter!” ...

Nobody said this.

Edit: beaten

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

selec posted:

Because ultimately learning history isn’t the anodyne pursuit of personal virtue and avoidance of samizdat. In fact, the samizdat is where a lot of the interesting detail lurks.

I think people find the bin Laden letter interesting because it’s much more nuanced than the discussion and rhetoric around 9/11 was from our own alleged thought leaders. It offers a much more compelling narrative than “they hate us for our freedoms”. This doesn’t mean you gotta agree with every last point, but it does tend to complicate the understanding people have about the US and our history as the hegemon. It makes more sense, and offers more meaningful detail and explicative value than a lot of people got in school or just from what floats around our cultural aether.

If people discovering this source and finding it enlightening pisses people off, don’t blame OBL or TikTok, blame a propaganda narrative that gets fed to the nation that is so thin and easily cast away the moment a contemporary primary source arrives that is from a different perspective than the one being offered up gets a little renewed interest.

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm talking about how people are spreading the word about American imperialism/Middle Eastern policies/etc by praising things stated by Bin Laden. I was not saying "don't read and learn from Bin Laden's letter".

For an easy analogy, I would never say something like "well, I was reading the bible and it was talking about how we shouldn't murder each other, and that's a really good point". Even though I've read the bible and wouldn't argue that it shouldn't be read, I also think it's filled with a lot of atrocious poo poo and don't want to promote it as something that has good, moral stances. I would instead make that point without relying on something I find abhorrent.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://x.com/HeerJeet/status/1725392874492035517?s=20

Whole thing was bullshit astroturf guys

Just exploiting "dumb zoomer" bias

:laffo:

The whole article on this is great:

Washington Post posted:

How Osama bin Laden’s ‘Letter to America’ reached millions online
Videos citing the document had been viewed far less than many TikTok posts. Then a journalist made a compilation and posted it to X, causing attention to the manifesto to explode.

On Monday, a TikTok user with 371 followers, using the screen name “_monix2,” posted a video where she read parts of Osama bin Laden’s “Letter to America,” in which the late terrorist leader said his killings of nearly 3,000 Americans in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks had been justified by the United States’ support of Israel’s “occupation” of Palestine.

By Wednesday night, the letter had become a point of discussion among left-wing creators on the wildly popular video app, with some saying its critiques of American foreign policy had opened their eyes to a history they’d never learned.

But the letter didn’t rank among TikTok’s top trends. Videos with the #lettertoamerica hashtag had been seen about 2 million times — a relatively low count on a wildly popular app with 150 million accounts in the United States alone.

Then that evening, the journalist Yashar Ali shared a compilation he’d made of the TikTok videos in a post on X, formerly Twitter. That post has been viewed more than 28 million times. By Thursday afternoon, when TikTok announced it had banned the hashtag and dozens of similar variations, TikTok videos tagged #lettertoamerica had gained more than 15 million views.

The letter’s spread sparked a deluge of commentary, with some worrying that TikTok’s users were being radicalized by a terrorist manifesto, and TikTok’s critics arguing it was evidence that the app, owned by the Chinese tech giant ByteDance, had been secretly boosting propaganda to a captive audience of American youth.

But the letter’s spread also reflected the bedeviling realities of modern social media, where young people — many of whom were born after 9/11 — share and receive information on fast-paced smartphone apps designed to make videos go viral, regardless of their content.

It also showed how efforts to suppress such information can backfire. Many of the videos on TikTok were posted after the British newspaper the Guardian, which had hosted a copy of bin Laden’s letter, removed it. Some TikTokers said the removal was proof of the letter’s wisdom and importance, leading them to further amplify it as a result.

“Don’t turn the long-public ravings of a terrorist into forbidden knowledge, something people feel excited to go rediscover,” Renee DiResta, a research manager at the Stanford internet Observatory who has advised Congress on online disinformation, wrote Thursday in a post on Threads. “Let people read the murderer’s demands — this is the man some TikTok fools chose to glorify. Add more context.”

TikTok spokesman Alex Haurek said Thursday that the company was “proactively and aggressively” removing videos promoting the letter for violating the company’s rules on “supporting any form of terrorism” and said it was “investigating” how the videos got onto its platform.

Haurek said that the #lettertoamerica hashtag had been attached to 274 videos that had garnered 1.8 million views on Tuesday and Wednesday, before “the tweets and media coverage drove people to the hashtag.” Other hashtags, for comparison, dwarfed discussion of the letter on the platform: During a recent 24-hour period, #travel videos had 137 million views, #skincare videos had 252 million views and #anime videos had 611 million views, Haurek said.

Ali said he made the compilation video Wednesday after seeing “thousands” of the videos and intentionally left out the “most incendiary examples” because he didn’t want the compilation to be removed from Instagram, where he also posted it.

He agreed the hashtag had never trended on TikTok but disputed the idea that the number of videos posted there had been “small,” saying, “Sure, in the context of a global platform. But not small enough to be minuscule or not important.”

Most of the videos have since been removed by TikTok, making it difficult to get a full tally. But a search for the letter Thursday morning by a Washington Post reporter revealed around 700 TikTok videos, only a few of which got more than 1 million views.

Such high view counts are common on TikTok, where videos are served up in rapid fashion and the average U.S. user watches for more than an hour a day. One viral video last month, in which a young woman discussed the pain of a 9-to-5 job, has more than 3 million views and 280,000 likes.

The videos featured many people saying they’d known little about bin Laden and were questioning what they’d been taught about American involvement around the world. Some said they were “trying to go back to life as normal” after reading it; in one video, a user scrolled through the full letter and said, “We’ve been lied to our entire lives.”

But while many pointed to bin Laden’s comments on Palestine, few highlighted the letter’s more extreme criticism of Western “immorality and debauchery,” including “acts of fornication, homosexuality, intoxicants, gambling and trading with interest.”

Many commenters also criticized giving the letter attention or worked to remind people that bin Laden had preached an antisemitic, sexist ideology that led to thousands of deaths. On the “_monix2” video, one commenter said, “You guys Bin Laden wrote this. Do y’all know what he did. What is wrong with y’all [oh my God. I guess] we’re supporting terrorism these days.” (Attempts to reach the @_monix2 account were unsuccessful.)

Charlie Winter, a specialist in Islamist militant affairs and director of research at the intelligence platform ExTrac, said in an interview Thursday that he was “frankly really quite surprised at the response” to the letter, which he described as “a kind of core doctrinal text” for both al-Qaeda and the Islamic State terrorist group.

In addition to long-standing grievances, the letter contains “blatant language that is clearly calling for acts of genocide … [and] for killing noncombatants in any nation that is democratic and is fighting against a Muslim-majority state,” he said.
“It’s not the letter that is going viral. It’s a selective reading of parts of the letter that’s going viral,” he said. “And I don’t know whether it’s because people aren’t actually reading it or, when they’re reading it, they’re reading the bits that they want to see.”

The letter’s spread online was celebrated Thursday by users on al-Qaeda forums, according to SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks online extremism. One user Thursday wrote that Islamist militants should capitalize on the opportunity, saying, “I hope you all are seeing ongoing storm on Social Media. … We should post more and more content.”

Some of the TikTok creators who shared the letter posted follow-up videos saying they did not support terrorism or violence. One of the first TikTok creators to share it, and who spoke to The Post on the condition that her name not be included in the story, said she had encouraged people to read it for “educational purposes.”

She said she did not “condone nor justify” bin Laden’s actions and was “distancing [herself] from this entire situation.” “It’s a sad world if we cannot even read a public document, simply to educate ourselves, without being smeared online,” she said.

TikTok has faced criticism and calls for a nationwide ban due to the popularity of pro-Palestinian videos on the app compared with pro-Israel content, even though Facebook and Instagram show a similar gap. In a video call organized by TikTok on Wednesday, first reported by the New York Times, some Hollywood actors and TikTok creators pushed company executives to do more to crack down on antisemitic content.

But the idea that the “Letter to America” discussion solely began on TikTok is challenged by Google data, which show that search interest in the “bin Laden letter” began gathering last week, days before it became a topic of TikTok conversation.
And TikTok is far from the only place where the letter has been discussed. Though Instagram blocked searches for some hashtags, some videos related to the letter — including those critical of it — remained publicly viewable Thursday on the Meta-owned app.

On Thursday afternoon, searches for “letter to America” on Instagram were still being given a “Popular” tag. One post, a series of screenshots of the letter, had more than 10,000 likes as of Thursday afternoon.

On Thursday, the letter and bin Laden’s name were also “trending topics” on X, the social network owned by Elon Musk. One tweet there from Wednesday — in which the writer said reading the letter was like feeling a “glass wall shatter,” and asks, “Is this what ex cult members feel like when they become self aware” — remained online Thursday, with nearly 3 million views.

The letter — a nearly 4,000-word translation of the al-Qaeda leader’s comments — had been originally posted in Arabic on a Saudi Arabian website used to disseminate al-Qaeda messages. The Guardian originally published an English translation in 2002 alongside a news article that offered more detail on how it had begun circulating among “British Islamic extremists.”

Though the Guardian removed the letter on Wednesday, its replacement, a page called “Removed: document,” had by Thursday become one of the most-viewed stories on the newspaper’s website. Some TikTokers voiced anger at the newspaper for, in the words of one, “actively censoring” information.

A spokesperson for the Guardian said in a statement that the letter had been removed after it was “widely shared on social media without the full context.”

The editors of the Guardian faced a “no-win scenario” once interest in bin Laden’s letter began to grow, Marco Bastos, a senior lecturer in media and communication at City, University of London, said in a phone interview.

“If they don’t take down the content, the content will be leveraged and it will be discussed, potentially shared and is going to go viral — if not out of context, then certainly outside of the scope of the original piece,” Bastos said. “If they take it down, they’re going to be accused, as they are right now, of censorship.”

At the time of publication, the editors “expected that this letter would be read critically, you know, adversarially … that you would process this within the view — or the bias, if you prefer — of the Western side of the events,” Bastos added. “And now it’s being consumed, distributed and shared to push an agenda that’s precisely the opposite of the one that it was originally intended for.”

Winter, the Islamist militant affairs specialist, said he found it “kind of ironic” that the letter was being shared uncritically around the web.

“People who consider themselves to be critical consumers of mainstream media are consuming this very uncritically and not thinking about the context around it,” he said. “Not thinking about everything that happened just over a year before it was published as well, in any meaningful way.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/2023/11/16/guardian-osama-bin-laden-letter-to-america/

The people who pearl clutched about this and the editors at The Guardian are dumb as dogshit.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
It’s basically guaranteed that whenever the US legislature gets mad enough to try to ban TikTok they’re going to use that as evidence as to why kids need to be protected from that evil app.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Reading through the ethics report on Santos and I am trying to figure out what he spent ~$4,600 on at Hermes.

It looks like it is mostly women's handbags in that range, but he didn't give it as a gift to anyone and obviously doesn't wear one in public.

Maybe it was one single purchase of a whole lot of $280 ties with pictures of horses on them.

It's also kind of hilarious how low he was willing to go to steal. Literally stealing $4.99 once to make an Onlyfans purchase.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reading through the ethics report on Santos and I am trying to figure out what he spent ~$4,600 on at Hermes.

It looks like it is mostly women's handbags in that range, but he didn't give it as a gift to anyone and obviously doesn't wear one in public.

Maybe it was one single purchase of a whole lot of $280 ties with pictures of horses on them.

It's also kind of hilarious how low he was willing to go to steal. Literally stealing $4.99 once to make an Onlyfans purchase.

He bought a handbag for himself, or at least for Kitara Ravache.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalit posted:

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm talking about how people are spreading the word about American imperialism/Middle Eastern policies/etc by praising things stated by Bin Laden. I was not saying "don't read and learn from Bin Laden's letter".

For an easy analogy, I would never say something like "well, I was reading the bible and it was talking about how we shouldn't murder each other, and that's a really good point". Even though I've read the bible and think it's useful for learning from history, I also think the bible is filled with a lot of atrocious poo poo and don't want to promote it as something that has good, moral stances. I would instead make that point without relying on something I find abhorrent.

Ultimately the primary source has value because it’s tied to a historical actor who made an outsize impact based on the rhetoric that is explained in the text.

A personal sense of abhorrence is fine, but that’s not really useful in evaluating a source for its meaningful explicative value. It’s like getting pissed that the Communist Manifesto is popular because “hey: I own a factory! Are you calling me an exploiter?!” There’s a whole lot of historical context and the rhetorical content matters, because it explains how the larger forces at play are influenced by the rhetoric the document contains.

Going to look for a more palatable alternative source is just silly, IMO. It just coddles the reader, and any student of history who was taking a serious look at the run-up and aftermath of 9/11, or just the larger history of the US in the region, would spend plenty of time with this document. OBL captures a lot of widely-held sentiment in the document, it’s not like he was a lone weirdo with anachronistic or marginal views, within the context he lived in. And it’s certainly not like our rhetorical figures of note were in any way psychologically or even functionally capable of offering up a succinct, honest interpretation of this letter that Americans would get the same understanding of if they’d read those people interpreting the letter for their audiences. Tom Friedman, Jon Chait, Matt Yglesias, Dick Cheney, or Maureen Dowd were never going to and just as importantly did not have the ability to be honest interlocutors for a worldview like this. Who did? People like Chris Hedges maybe, but nobody wanted to listen to him then or now, but even so-called intellectual titans line Hitchens were turned into drooling morons by their inability to get out of their jingo foxholes after 9/11. The horse’s mouth is a far better source than people who cannot, and even if they could (which I assert they constitutionally were unfit to) explain a letter like this in a way that dealt honestly with the context from which it emerged.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Republican chairman of the House Ethics committee has filed a resolution to expel George Santos from congress. It was just filed a few minutes ago and officially sets up another vote to expel him.

Most of the Democrats who voted "present" on the previous expulsion bill because they were waiting on the ethics committee report say they will now vote to expel him. That makes it very likely that he will be the first person to be expelled from congress who did not join the confederacy or commit treason/accept bribes from a foreign power.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1725530590856790137

quote:

House Ethics chairman files resolution to expel Rep. George Santos from Congress

The resolution comes a day after the committee released a scathing report that concluded there is “substantial evidence” Santos “violated federal criminal laws."

WASHINGTON — House Ethics Committee Chairman Michael Guest, R-Miss., filed a resolution on Friday morning to expel Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y., from Congress.

The resolution comes a day after the committee released a scathing report that concluded there is “substantial evidence” Santos “violated federal criminal laws,” including using campaign funds for personal purposes and filing false campaign reports.

“The evidence uncovered in the Ethics Committee’s Investigative Subcommittee investigation is more than sufficient to warrant punishment and the most appropriate punishment, is expulsion,” Guest said in a statement on Friday. “So, separate from the Committee process and my role as Chairman, I have filed an expulsion resolution.”

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

selec posted:

Ultimately the primary source has value because it’s tied to a historical actor who made an outsize impact based on the rhetoric that is explained in the text.

A personal sense of abhorrence is fine, but that’s not really useful in evaluating a source for its meaningful explicative value. It’s like getting pissed that the Communist Manifesto is popular because “hey: I own a factory! Are you calling me an exploiter?!” There’s a whole lot of historical context and the rhetorical content matters, because it explains how the larger forces at play are influenced by the rhetoric the document contains.

Going to look for a more palatable alternative source is just silly, IMO. It just coddles the reader, and any student of history who was taking a serious look at the run-up and aftermath of 9/11, or just the larger history of the US in the region, would spend plenty of time with this document. OBL captures a lot of widely-held sentiment in the document, it’s not like he was a lone weirdo with anachronistic or marginal views, within the context he lived in. And it’s certainly not like our rhetorical figures of note were in any way psychologically or even functionally capable of offering up a succinct, honest interpretation of this letter that Americans would get the same understanding of if they’d read those people interpreting the letter for their audiences. Tom Friedman, Jon Chait, Matt Yglesias, Dick Cheney, or Maureen Dowd were never going to and just as importantly did not have the ability to be honest interlocutors for a worldview like this. Who did? People like Chris Hedges maybe, but nobody wanted to listen to him then or now, but even so-called intellectual titans line Hitchens were turned into drooling morons by their inability to get out of their jingo foxholes after 9/11. The horse’s mouth is a far better source than people who cannot, and even if they could (which I assert they constitutionally were unfit to) explain a letter like this in a way that dealt honestly with the context from which it emerged.

Once again nobody has said there is issues with just reading what he wrote. Nobody has denied primary sources are a good thing. Why people keep arguing against that point I have no idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion might have historical value, properly contextualized in a class about the holocaust or how european politics evolved between the 19th and 20th centuries. YOu wouldn't hand it to an 18 year old and say "Hey kid, here's the book they don't want you to read". It's insane to suggest that that document is a valuable historical perspective outside of the context of islamist movements of the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

The truth in it is intended to launder the lies, and I don't like that people in the online campist left are suddenly handing it to ISIS because it owns western aligned interests.

socialsecurity posted:

Once again nobody has said there is issues with just reading what he wrote. Nobody has denied primary sources are a good thing. Why people keep arguing against that point I have no idea.

Motte-and-bailey. "People should read OBLs letter to get an accurate perspective on the history of the middle east" is indefensible, so you retreat to, "it's a document with historical value (that its historical value is orthagonal to its intent and message well...)

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The longest straight line created by nature is the east coast of Alaska.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

The Guardian does seem to have issues with people just reading what he wrote because they decided to pull the content down in response to people doing that, and then talking about what they read. Maybe nobody here has that issue, but it’s difficult to say that the idea that people can read this didn’t upset anyone, because Guardian decided to take it down after more than a decade in response to people reading it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

selec posted:

The Guardian does seem to have issues with people just reading what he wrote because they decided to pull the content down in response to people doing that, and then talking about what they read. Maybe nobody here has that issue, but it’s difficult to say that the idea that people can read this didn’t upset anyone, because Guardian decided to take it down after more than a decade in response to people reading it.

Sure nobody here is The Guardian, when you quote a person saying something entirely different then argue something the Guardian did without even mentioning the Guardian sure feels like you are just strawmanning them.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

selec posted:

Okay, now I'm a little confused on what you mean by "primary source". By primary, do you mean that as an originating source for an ideal/point? If so, you can easily look at lots of historical figures before Bin Laden's letter was written (or even his rise to power) that would make the same points about the US.

If you mean something else by "primary", feel free to clarify what you mean by that and by "alternative source"

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

selec posted:

I don't especially agree with what the Guardian did here - I think they were assigning themselves more culpability for the meme than they actually had, and overreacted out of a PR impulse.

That said I don't think their problem is with people reading the letter, it's with people using their website as a source to view the letter and then using it in political advocacy. You can dispute whether that's their call to make, but that's the call they're making, not "people shouldn't read this;" if they believed that they probably wouldn't have kept the letter up on their website for 21 years.

The competing definitions of "read" to mean "study the contents of and interpret" versus "recite aloud for an audience" are causing confusion here, although the distinction is so simple and obvious I don't really understand how.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 17, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Sure nobody here is The Guardian, when you quote a person saying something entirely different then argue something the Guardian did without even mentioning the Guardian sure feels like you are just strawmanning them.

Wasn’t my intent, but I do think conflating this letter with the Protocols of the Elders of Zion like some folks have done here is a rhetorical feint towards that idea. This document is not like the Protocols, and holds a different kind of historical value. Comparing it to the Protocols feels like an attempt to push it into a tiny box with other documents that people feel safe avoiding.

The Protocols had a long history as a forgery, and was constructed specifically to prop up a lie; the OBL letter includes lies, but is constructed specifically to explain an action. The Protocols were designed as a transmission within a cultural understanding of antisemetism—the intended audience is other antisemites, and thus contains and creates a worldview that is reified by the document itself being read by other antisemites.

This OBL letter is of an entirely different nature: it is intended to be cross-cultural explanation, pointed at an audience of people who the writer knows does not agree with him, who have been targeted specifically by him for violence. The Protocols are also presenting a historical narrative that no historian even begins to approach as being meaningfully tied to actual events, whereas a lot of the historical context in the letter isn’t really disputed that way. One is also of dubious authorship which sought to conceal its origins, whereas the other is a letter intended to be viewed as the creation of the author who wished to be known as the author.

They’re just very different kinds of writing and I think it’s intellectually facile to compare them, whatever the rhetorical comparison is, and I think attempts to put them in the same rhetorical space occludes more than it reveals any similarity about them.

Edit:
I think the guardian hosed up a traffic-generation opportunity. They should’ve kept the letter up and built up analysis around it, maybe had several reaction pieces to it, or done some good journalism and created a version that allows you to hover over each section and display the historical context for any given claim. I don’t think it’s politically possible to do this in a Western nation right now because of the extremely high torque level of rhetoric around this stuff right now, but intellectually that would’ve been a much more interesting approach, and more honest. That we don’t have an intellectual culture capable of tolerating that (because of the cultural power of certain political tendencies) says a lot more about us than it does the letter itself.

selec fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's been months, but Budweiser is firing their head of marketing after their American sales plummeted following a promotion with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney that sparked a conservative boycott.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1725358098729083143

quote:

Anheuser-Busch exec steps down after Bud Light sales slump following Dylan Mulvaney controversy

Anheuser-Busch InBev's U.S. chief marketing officer is leaving the beverage giant following public backlash over a promotion that led to a sharp drop in sales of Bud light, one of the company's most important products.

Benoit Garbe, who joined Anheuser-Busch in 2021, will resign at the end of the year "in order to embark on a new chapter in his career," the company said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch. The company's US chief commercial officer, Kyle Norrington, will oversee the brewery's marketing initiatives following Garbe's departure.

"These senior leadership changes will accelerate our return to growth as we continue to focus on what we do best — brewing great beer for everyone and earning our place in moments that matter," Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth said in the statement.

The move comes only months after some consumers boycotted Bud Light over its partnership with transgender TikToker Dylan Mulvaney in April, hurting sales of the popular beer. The boycott was amplified by several conservative celebrities who publicly denounced the brand for its decision to team with Mulvaney on the promotion.

In one viral video, musician Kid Rock shot up several cases of the brew with a rifle to signal his disapproval of the brand. In an interview this week with Fox News, the rapper said he no longer wanted to be seen as supporting the boycott because of its impact on Anheuser-Busch workers.

"As a conservative — more importantly a patriot — I don't want to be in the party of cancel cultures and boycotts that ultimately hurt working class people that have no dogs especially in this fight," he added.

Bud Light sales fell 28% for the week ending June 24 versus the same period last year, while competitors such as Yuengling Lager, Coors Light and Miller Lite notched double-digit gains during the same key summer month for beer sales, according to beer tracker Bump Williams Consulting.

AB InBev also recorded a 13.5% drop in its U.S. revenue per 100 liters, a key metric for measuring beer sales, during the third quarter of 2023, the company's financial statement shows.