Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Play posted:

People need to make money. Most likely it's that simple

The next year or two? That's really not how the car industry works. EVs are only as affordable as they are, and they aren't affordable, because of subsidies.

There are more EVs in the road every year, yes. But they are still vastly outnumbered by ICE. Even in terms of respective sales figures which would favor EVs a lot more since they are coming on recently, they only made up three percent of cars in 2021. Here in the bay area they are very popular but still maybe 5 percent of all cars on the road at most.

You have no clue about the car industry. And you also have no clue about the economic situation of the average person, although that's kind of your gimmick.

And I say all this as someone who has owned an EV.

And yet all the mainstream "luxury" car brands seem do be doing extremely well selling high deprecation new cars and certified pre-owner cars that are loving everywhere and have all invested heavily into EVs.

Apple wouldn't exist if this was a major market problem.

edit: I am imagining you existing in a world screaming at someone with a brand new Lexus "Don't you know that that is just a overpriced Toyota, you stupid loving moron!"

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Three Olives posted:

And yet all the mainstream "luxury" car brands seem do be doing extremely well selling high deprecation new cars and certified pre-owner cars that are loving everywhere and have all invested heavily into EVs.

Apple wouldn't exist if this was a major market problem.

edit: I am imagining you existing in a world screaming at someone with a brand new Lexus "Don't you know that that is just a overpriced Toyota, you stupid loving moron!"

Three Olives

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Price difference aside, I can't help but think ICE vehicles seem very primitive now that I've seen what a high end EV can do.

In 100 years, the kids will look back in disbelief that our primary mode of transport was powered by tiny, well-timed explosions driven by refined fossil fuels that put out little puffs of toxic smoke as we puttered around the city.

It's just such a brute force way to get from A to B in my head, and I own two ICE vehicles. Meanwhile we have EVs coming in the scene that required substantially less upkeep, they're smoother, better torque, quieter and clean. They're demonstrably better in every way except the battery tech, and our infrastructure is build for ICE, rather than EV.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Krispy Wafer posted:

And if Tesla was priced like Toyota, Musk's $240b fortune would become a $24b fortune. That's a worst case scenario, because if it happens he's actually got a $0 fortune because of Twitter.

The smartest possible thing he could do would be to immediately, as in fist available time slot publicly announce something along the lines of "I am selling my entire personal stake in Tesla because I have big, secret plans for the next stage of humanity, but I need to completely privately and personally fund it because it is top secret" then take the whatever money he can get during the crash and run, which means it will never happen

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Vampire Panties posted:

gasoline-burning ICE won't be meaningfully banned in North America in our lifetimes, if ever. They'll build fusion reactors to distill gas from sea water.

its far more likely that cars will be banned in major metro areas & various parts of the US will kludge together something like the meld between NJ Transit and the NYC Subway - lovely electric rails from tiny stations with huge parking lots that feed into main transfer stations. Rural and suburbs will still drive for most stuff, but they'll take the train into the city instead of commuting, and bitch about how its :airquote: longer :airquote: i.e. exactly the same amount of time, without risking your life.

BEVs aren't really a solution for the US at large until there's a miracle in battery tech.

They might not be banned outright but enough jurisdictions are phasing them out that the car makers will switch most, if not all of their assembly lines over to making EVs because it won't be cost effective to run EV and ICE assembly lines simultaneously.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Three Olives posted:

I always love the argument "Well, an EV wouldn't work for me! And you must be totally detached from reality if it works for you!".

Look, it's a semi-luxury good, which basically any new car is, no one is disputing that, also in any major city you can't throw a rock without hitting a new BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus/Etc. And you wouldn't have to be that unlucky to hit an even more expensive car or a high trim level.

There is a huge addressable market for new EVs and a much, much larger one in a few years for used ones as they depreciate.

Also, regarding chargers, I have driven an EV for 5 years charging on a standard 120v outlet with zero problems, I installed a level 2 charger for the first time less than two weeks ago, it was like $1,000. For everything, installation, wiring, EVSE. People act like installing a charger is some like major multi-thousand. It can be, but it's also not representative of the kind of work people need to have done in their homes than can afford $40,000 new cars. Which, again, is the cost of a Ford Escape.

:yikes:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Its kinda interesting thinking through all the large differences between a regular ICE vehicle and a ground up designed for electric car.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

agreed, but it’s intrusion countermeasures electronics

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
like a bug zapper strapped to my arse?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Three Olives posted:

The most popular "car" in the US vs the most popular in the UK:

We are all afraid of dying in a car accident with one of these monstrosities.

I remember unlocking the Ford Raptor in Forza Horizon and then just using it to win every race by just bulldozing every other opponent off the track with it because it was a gigantic monster hell truck. I love that thing, but I am also terrified of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember unlocking the Ford Raptor in Forza Horizon and then just using it to win every race by just bulldozing every other opponent off the track with it because it was a gigantic monster hell truck. I love that thing, but I am also terrified of it.

Just saw a murdered out one parking in the historic downtown area here, it looks absolutely ridiculous

Good job parking too rear end in a top hat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

In Need for Speed poo poo if you bought a supercar with a wedge-shaped hood (like a Lamborghini or whatever, it's been like a decade so I don't remember exactly), you could win every race because you could drive under the other cars. PHYSICS!

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The
Eternally
Smouldering
Lithium
Accident

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Welp, according to the TÜV, Teslas aren't only worse than Fiats, they're the worst automobiles. Ranking at 111 out of 111.

e: The Model 3, specifically.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

This is so weird to see here. I know this guy, he's a really great dude. I didn't know he had these health concerns with his kid, that sucks.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Stop talking about electric vehicles and start making GBS threads on moosk again :pedophiles:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaylor Moon posted:

Stop talking about electric vehicles and start making GBS threads on moosk again :pedophiles:

NEWSLEAK: Elon Musk set to unveil new AI that only responds in Stonetoss comics, called Pogrok.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Gaylor Moon posted:

Everyone's talking about electric vehicles but I want to see Musk personally testing other electric devices, like electric tables or an electric chair

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Elon has rear end hair implanted on the top of his head.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Elon has rear end hair implanted on the top of his head.

Haha I wonder what it smells like haha.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725324776313614610?t=T79djf7gWb4yR8uyKir7jA&s=19

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725324906261585936?t=7uFH95wrkJYP0RhF7WWPbA&s=19

For a grown-rear end man who talks too much about other people NPCs.....

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Yeah

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yea... drat, beaten like a rug

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
This got lost in the shuffle yesterday.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725232118412808663?t=bAifvgLAqG81UMX1DL1ksg&s=19

Sure, X didn't come to the aid of people like that guy who was arrested and sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia not too long ago for his Tweets, but this is different. According to the Financial Times....

quote:

According to the letter, Campolargo ran an account on X sharing information about where open events were taking place on the university campus that had free food. However, following a complaint, the university charged him with violations of the university’s code of conduct for “inciting, aiding, or encouraging others to engage in a behavior which violates the Student Code”, and for theft, alleging that an event he had promoted, and later taken food from, was a private conference. 

Genuinely surprised that there is actual follow through on this promise, and also genuinely annoyed because this is definitely going to be a thing, as it's going to be arbitrarily as all hell and based primarily who's appealing more to Musk's personal sense of humor.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 17, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Wonder what he posted..

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's about a 100% chance that he thinks John Wick was a cool dude and is imitating the character.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

staberind posted:

Its kinda interesting thinking through all the large differences between a regular ICE vehicle and a ground up designed for electric car.

Looking at a friend’s Rivian, I made a joke about the windshield washer fluid cap (the only thing in the frunk that looked like an ICE vehicle) and he said that’s the only liquid in the truck.

It probably still has brake fluid and freon though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Looking at a friend’s Rivian, I made a joke about the windshield washer fluid cap (the only thing in the frunk that looked like an ICE vehicle) and he said that’s the only liquid in the truck.

Why would an electric vehicle need brake fluid? (Serious question.)

e: Or rather, what would it use it for?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Electric cars need brakes, too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For braking?

Evs have coolant too, though it might be sealed. Oil in the transmission/diffs as well.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Since EV's also have "normal" brakes that operate with brake fluid.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Someone combine a 'WITNESS ME' mouth spray from Max Max, with footage of it going 1cm up the slope per minute.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fish and chips and dip posted:

Huh, didn't know that. (The only electric vehicles I've driven are, of course, forklifts and pallet jacks. They don't have "normal" brakes.)

e: Actually, I guess forklifts do? No-one uses them anyway. Pallet jacks I'm pretty sure don't. At least, there's no way to engage them manually.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

fish and chips and dip posted:

Teslas actually utilise an advanced variation of lithobraking that requires no brake fluid to operate.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This will get advertisers to return

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is a valid question. It doesn't make sense now, but Elon plans for the Cybertruck to one day move.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who had a more thorough and rapid deterioration in public opinion? Elon Musk or Elon DeGeneres?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

Can guarantee it has gear oil in a diffirential somewhere as well

Not sure on the veracity of this, but its supposedly a teardown of a Rivian engine. There is a Rivian-branded oil filter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EVs have coolant reservoirs for the batteries as well as oil for the motors. They're just not user-serviceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

*sigh* Times are tough…