Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wasnt that an emoji at some point? idk, whatever, I'm glad you're gettin outta there jonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

holding assets on the books at face value is a fundamental prop of the whole property lending market; as soon as people start actually marking to market it all falls down because the asset can end up worth less than the debt it's securing, just like 2007

commercial real estate is a bit different though because it's not like a bank loaning you money to buy and flip a crack den, they'll have issued a bond that got bought by your pension fund as part of a REIT and now everyone is nervously pretending that the repayments will continue and that eventually the asset will appreciate back to the loan value

iirc this is why it is actually more desirable to keep a commercial property empty than accept a lower rent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress .. has some one told the banks??

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways fr, i'm gonna move next year, i've spent six happy hobbit years in this cozy little prison cottage, but it's time to move. My cars need some hail protection and also there are drivebys every month here and it's just becoming a really, really unsafe place to live.

you gonna throw us your new assassination coordinates when you move?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

that's the great thing, it's not their problem anymore because it all goes into pension funds!

I'm not full on "it's gonna be economic Armageddon" like Bob Dobbs, but I reckon a bunch of pension funds are gonna get hosed over at some point.

basically it's what's happening in China right now but on a less concentrated scale because it's not just those two companies that built literally everything

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im pretty sure china is handling it better than a lot of other places would in a similar situation

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

im pretty sure china is handling it better than a lot of other places would in a similar situation

they have put a lot of executives in jail so yes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

but I mean it's also in the governments interest to make 100% sure that country farm (or whoever it is I can't be bothered to Google it) does not implode because they sold so much of it to the population that if it does it will turbo gently caress the party

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

absolutely. I was quite young when I clicked onto the fact that’s there’s gently caress all to do in cities that doesn’t involve spending money. which is quite rude considering I don’t have enough of it

I was super duper poor on a PhD stipend when I moved to NYC. there are heinous amounts of free and cheap things to do and see in cities and NYC has the bonus of being able to get anywhere without a car.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

infernal machines posted:

that is generally not possible for plumbing and hvac reasons. they're not designed for residential habitation.

i've been making GBS threads at work daily for a year and there's a nap room and a shower. i could easily residentially inhabit the office.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
actually good things are not possible because uuhhh uhh there's too much AC

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

that house next door was sooo cute and clean five years ago and now it's literally falling down

lol this place looks like it comes with its own Chooper

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingexecutive posted:

I was super duper poor on a PhD stipend when I moved to NYC. there are heinous amounts of free and cheap things to do and see in cities and NYC has the bonus of being able to get anywhere without a car.

uh yeah I suspect nyc is different from my experience lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I would love to skate NYC because there's a completely insane guy that posts videos on YouTube (The Stuttering Skater) and it looks so incredibly smooth and flat but I know in my heart I would get run over

maybe central park though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the streets and sidewalks are pretty hosed but it's also hard for a lot of cars to get up to speed to hit you. NY drivers get a bad rap but have to be keyed up at all times to deal with the chaos and also you can't turn right on reds

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

you can't turn right on reds

this alone would improve so many places for non-drivers

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I don’t think i need anything to “do” in a city. i just want to people watch near some good food and maybe luck into some pleasant conversation

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

echinopsis posted:

don’t they lose significant money by not renting it at all?

There are probably other reasons but right off the top of my head: Taking what you can get puts downward pressure on market prices.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Jonny 290 posted:

SOMEBODY BUY THIS MAN A FUNCTIONING MONITOR FOR GOD'S SAKE

:boom:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Jonny 290 posted:

there are three red bricks in my back yard half buried in the dirt

one does nothing

one has a key under it, which you can use to get into the front porch

if you stick a bent coat hanger on the third hole from the far west one in the porch's ceiling you will get the key to open the inside

the combination to the gun safe is the frequency on the 75 meter ham band where all the insane weirdos hang out

and the third red brick has a tripwire alarm that immediately 911's with a pre-recorded message stating my address and that you have a gun, played off an aliexpress voice recorder circuit board

Choose Wisely

I too had Umbrella do my home security. As soon as people break in they go straight for the broken shotgun hanging over my fireplace. Big mistake buddy.

Jonny 290 posted:

you're all assuming the cops will respond to a call here

That whole semi-rural neighborhood is a gang infested no-go zone. Last time we sent a unit there it was caught up in a roadside trap set up by islamist illegal immigrants. The officer was trapped in his luxury SUV for hours until a AAA extraction team could rescue him.

His sense of masculinity was so damaged by the incident we had to give him an early retirement.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

rotor posted:

I'm glad you're gettin outta there jonny

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

I'm glad you're gettin outta there jonny

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

goblin week posted:

i've been making GBS threads at work daily for a year and there's a nap room and a shower. i could easily residentially inhabit the office.

why would you want to though

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jabor posted:

perhaps if a property is declared blighted, it shouldn't result in a big payday to the slumlord who let it degenerate that far

like, it should be seized and auctioned off for development, and the money from that auction should go to a general city fund to combat homelessness (and not a penny to the property owner)

yeah i definitely get this but it also sounds like an excellent engine for gentrification. like i'm sure there are tons of houses owned and inhabited by poor people who can't maintain them well enough due to no fault of their own. imo paying for upkeep/renovation/rebuilding and letting them be the inhabitants would be good.

what you really need is some way to not gently caress over the renters. like just turn the apartments into condos or something where the current residents are now magically the owners. something like that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
maybe if we write more rules on pieces of paper and more compilcated rules on pieces of paper then that will change power relationships somehow

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eeyo posted:

yeah i definitely get this but it also sounds like an excellent engine for gentrification. like i'm sure there are tons of houses owned and inhabited by poor people who can't maintain them well enough due to no fault of their own. imo paying for upkeep/renovation/rebuilding and letting them be the inhabitants would be good.

what you really need is some way to not gently caress over the renters. like just turn the apartments into condos or something where the current residents are now magically the owners. something like that.

if a property becomes blighted it automatically changes ownership to the people renting it and also the original owner has to pay them to fix it up

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

maybe if we write more rules on pieces of paper and more compilcated rules on pieces of paper then that will change power relationships somehow

hell yeah now we're talking.

just run sed on all the property deeds and replace any llc with a random citizen

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

the banks know. it’s basically a mexican standoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f2kGHcdJYU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Eeyo posted:

yeah but what if we just did that anyway?

GET EMINENT DOMAINED ON

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
sam altman just got fired from openai lol

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

sam altman just got fired from openai lol

i assume he did something lovely (metoo?) seeing as they have been on a tear commercially?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ai market collapse :pray:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

nah he absolutely did something insane to get kicked to the kerb like this in a friday news dump

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

im just gonna come out and say what we're all thinking: he was loving the AI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
from vice

quote:

the board discovered that he “was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities.” As a result, the board “no longer” had confidence in its CEO.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

refleks posted:

im just gonna come out and say what we're all thinking: he was loving the AI

"We were making love!! I love the AI and it loves me and we're going to run away to europe and get married and you cant stop me!!" [slams door, crying noises]

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

"We were making love!! I love the AI and it loves me and we're going to run away to europe and get married and you cant stop me!!" [slams door, crying noises]

neighbors like "ugh the altmans are at it again"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
he's been accused of some pretty heinous stuff by his sister (tw tw tw), unfortunately

lovely people still tend to get away with things, so i don't know what it took for the super rich and super connected ceo of one of the fastest growing companies in the world to get kicked out like this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is this the board thinking they don't want openAI to be one of those companies completely defined by and inseparable from their CEO's batshit public persona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

alright i’m thinking 80% odds he couldn’t keep it in his pants

95%