Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Mr. Trampoline posted:

My main personal problem with Cobalt Core is that the card complexity is very low, when I'm currently on a Touhou Lost Branch of Legend kick where I feel like the card complexity is in a nice sweet spot - roughly the same or one step higher than Slay the Spire.

I do like the narrative aspects of it though

Which game do you have in mind when you think of high card complexity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Loddfafnir posted:

I think it was Across the Obelisk? Can't remember exactly. It was maybe that game where I was like "cards in this game do too much and there's too many status effects to keep track of" and I refunded after a couple hours of play

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

Blade Assault is 80% off for a bit right now, putting it at $3.59. decent if simple platformer.

I really enjoyed this one, fun broken build generator

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I think it was Across the Obelisk? Can't remember exactly. It was maybe that game where I was like "cards in this game do too much and there's too many status effects to keep track of" and I refunded after a couple hours of play

AtO is weird. At first I bounced off it for the same reasons but eventually it becomes manageable since every status effect is usually linked to a build for that character. The problem is when you start getting disparate sources of tiny status effects that amount to nothing yet clutter the UI. I finished the game a bunch of times, unlocked everything and not sure I'll ever feel the need to revisit it

Also the fact that you're just going to lose runs over and over until your characters get skill points and better versions of their starting stuff suuuucks

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Loddfafnir posted:

Erranoth

Hope you remember that Greed does damage based on how many cards are left in your hand! Hell if I can remember what Pride does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i love the amount of really specific dialogue CC characters have based on how your run's going. i got the weak cockpit artifact from the previous fight, and

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ciaphas posted:

i love the amount of really specific dialogue CC characters have based on how your run's going. i got the weak cockpit artifact from the previous fight, and

lol

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone know of any deckbuilding roguelikes that play more like Legends of Runeterra / Magic: The Gathering / etc in terms of more of a field of monsters instead of abilities of your hero?

I've got Wildfrost but didn't like it very much, and Monster Train sort of kind of is similar? Buuuuut it didn't really do it for me. Edit: I mean Monster Train is fine and all and I liked it, but I didn't find the game to scratch the itch I'm looking for. I've been playing a lot of Runeterra's Path of Champions mode recently, and that's great, but it has all the downsides of any F2P live service game, in that it's grindy as gently caress and there's a ton of cosmetics/etc I'll never play with because I'm not going to spent 20 loving dollars on a skin for a card.

More edits:
I am aware of Forge, and I've played around with it and wrote up a whole doc speccing out a roguelike mode for it, but I couldn't wrap my mind around the enormous java codebase to contribute anything; not to mention it's a whole massive amount of work anyway. I don't like the current Adventure mode implementation either, because it's just too sandboxy.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2023

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
This is a bit unhelpful, but Cross Blitz is out in a little less than two weeks and has a demo. It seems like someone played Dungeon Run from Hearthstone and wanted to assemble a game around it that wasn't hobbled by Dungeon Run having to exist in the Hearthstone ecosystem.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Perhaps Nowhere Prophet? Full disclosure, I haven't actually played it, but it seems to be what you're looking for and its got good reviews.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Azran posted:

How's Skul btw? I've heard complaints about unavoidable damage

The complaints people raised are real, but it's still one of the best action roguelikes imo. There are so many skulls and they generally do play differently and have builds that they synergize with in ways that others don't, plus they're just fun to use. Don't skip it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Could have been Erannorth? I like the idea of that one, but it has a million sligthly different status effects and is not well designed at all.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Perhaps Nowhere Prophet? Full disclosure, I haven't actually played it, but it seems to be what you're looking for and its got good reviews.

That game is basically hearthstone with a tactical grid combat map, incredible vibes and music

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RoboCicero posted:

This is a bit unhelpful, but Cross Blitz is out in a little less than two weeks and has a demo. It seems like someone played Dungeon Run from Hearthstone and wanted to assemble a game around it that wasn't hobbled by Dungeon Run having to exist in the Hearthstone ecosystem.

this demo has potential. am i an idiot though or are there no speed up options because jeez it can feel a bit glacial. hopefully the full game has something if i didn't miss anything.

grate deceiver posted:

Could have been Erannorth? I like the idea of that one, but it has a million sligthly different status effects and is not well designed at all.

i think its ok for some games to be maximalist messes

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 17, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Erannorth is definitely overcomplicated but it's also really unique and cool.
It's also one of the few actual TCG roguelites, rather than a Dominion-like, like most of them.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I do appreciate that Erannorth exists, I did a 35 hrs playthrough to the end and some had fun collecting the 10 billion cards.

I think the biggest obstacle to fun is it's terrible user experience. Combat interface is downright working against the player understanding what's going on. Sure, it has tooltips and an event log but it doesnt, idk, feel good to navigate. Which in a game about so many things going on kinda funnels you to just play whatever is easier to handle.

It could be a truly great game if they kept the mechanics but completely redid UX and interface.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

man this year has no chill even for indies

was diving into Roboquest, then Astral Ascent dropped, now Skul has dlc coming out in a few hours

Some of the action roguelikes which have a very positive rating on Steam and released on 2023:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347970/Patch_Quest/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1740720/Have_a_Nice_Death/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1608640/OTXO/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1214670/Mr_Suns_Hatbox/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1498040/Bio_Prototype/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1304680/Voidigo/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175360/Doomsday_Hunters/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1524550/Madshot/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135230/Ember_Knights/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1676130/Deadlink/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1074620/Adore/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1942280/Brotato/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029210/30XX/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815230/Summum_Aeterna/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150530/Wizard_with_a_Gun/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/692890/Roboquest/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1337520/Risk_of_Rain_Returns/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280930/Astral_Ascent/

So yeah, lots of stuff.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Olesh posted:

I played it only when it initially was released into EA, so this advice may be outdated since I played.

This is a basic tip, but the game does kind of a crap job of teaching you - learning how to swing fast (and thus hit hard) and hitting with the sweet spot for your weapon is extremely critical. Even if you can only get a single maneuver from a single direction working reliably, there is a tremendous difference in damage between the random flailing you'll do in the beginning vs a solid clean hit with your whole body involved. Doing this properly includes turning your hips to get more rotation speed, and you can't use the lock-on camera for best results - you want your character's body turning with the swing!

The #1 most important piece of equipment is your weapon. Combined with the previous tip, killing the enemy quickly before they have a chance to attack you is the easiest and safest way to avoid dying and avoiding damage taken means avoiding the need for expensive healing between fights, letting your money go towards training and upgrades. A high-damage, large, two-handed weapon is ideal - I had an heirloom axe that carried me through many runs - although there are one-handed weapons that are also fine. Thrusting/stabbing weapons were always way more dangerous in the AI's hands, as it's hard to generate a lot of speed with them and they tend to suffer from hitting the enemy's weapon and being blocked a lot. Looking at it, top-tier (Godly and Masterwork) items can't be passed down anymore, but a solid starter weapon is still huge. I don't recommend actually taking any 1vMany fights, but if you do, being able to quickly 1 or 2 shot enemies is key to victory; otherwise you'll get overwhelmed.

Train stamina and movement!

For the match traits, spoils to the victor is usually crap but early on can be a way to get a decent free sword while your gear is poo poo. Otherwise, avoid Luck of the draw - it tends to screw you over, and especially once you have a decent kit it's not worth the potential of getting a fight where the enemy is tossed a good weapon while you're stuck with a bunch of lovely sticks and planks. Prestigious and Insurance are more or less meaningless; Insurance won't return a weapon that breaks mid-fight (unless that's changed), and Prestigious is less gold now, where it'll help you win the run, and a pittance to your next character, who might be the wrong background (and you lose it if you reroll looking for the background you want).
Shrouded is a huge loving trap meant to trick you into taking on unwinnable fights.
Entourage fights are there to give you slightly easier combats late-game once you can afford the 12k gold (and 8k fame) upgrade - the free fighters are generally crappy with poo poo gear, but they can distract an enemy long enough for you to get a good cheap shot in and one or two good hits from behind should be all you need to kill anyone with a good weapon.

The best armor is hellaciously expensive, but protectiveness outweighs all other concerns. You can get fame easily by winning fights; losing a fight ends your run. High-tier armor rarely has fame penalties anyways, but it's not worth worrying about fame penalties - protection is best. The stamina penalties from armor are offset by training to have more stamina.

Training - you should be aggressively training stamina early on, as much as you can afford - surviving the first few battles with large penalties is worth gaining the ability to continue training aggressively in the future without noticing the drawbacks. Secondary training is also extremely cost effective, typically only requiring an additional set of training gear for about 50% training efficacy on a second stat. Your priorities should be stamina first, then movement, then dashing/dodges. Afterwards, train whatever weapon type you're using and/or shields if you are using one and consider reducing the intensity of training as the fights get harder. Don't use being trained in a particular weapon type as an excuse to turn down a good weapon as a reward, though - single-digit skill with a fantastic weapon is always better than high skill with a crap weapon.

Awesome, all great advice. Thank you! :hist101:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Arzaac posted:

Nowhere Prophet is competently made but never really grabbed me. Having your "cards" take permanent damage and die if they fall in battle also felt kinda bad. And I never felt like you could make an interesting synergistic build, it was just grabbing random goodstuff, but I only beat it once so maybe I missed something.
The art, setting and music alone makes it worth playing though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Turin Turambar posted:

Some of the action roguelikes which have a very positive rating on Steam and released on 2023:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150530/Wizard_with_a_Gun/
...huh, Wizard with a Gun came out? I heard buzz about it the instant it was previewed (Devolver published + lol game name) but literally nothing since. Can anyone confirm whether it's actually good, and if so why? I liked Immortal Redneck until the lack of variety caught up to it, for context.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

The complaints people raised are real, but it's still one of the best action roguelikes imo. There are so many skulls and they generally do play differently and have builds that they synergize with in ways that others don't, plus they're just fun to use. Don't skip it

Alright, will do!

Arzaac posted:

:stare: Man that looks very cool

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I finished all of the legacy goals in WWAATD. It's a fun game, but once you get a feel for how it works it's simple to break the game in half. Nevertheless, I hope the devs never change the wonky physics. It never gets old whacking someone in the head and their body goes flying out of the colosseum. :allears:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Razakai posted:

Nowhere Prophet is competently made but never really grabbed me. Having your "cards" take permanent damage and die if they fall in battle also felt kinda bad. And I never felt like you could make an interesting synergistic build, it was just grabbing random goodstuff, but I only beat it once so maybe I missed something.
The art, setting and music alone makes it worth playing though.

Yeah this covers my problem with it - Runeterra really shows that a roguelike mode for an MTG style game can work, but I also want all the fun parts of MTG; sacrificing units, complex strategies/etc. Nowhere Prophet added hex grids and a whole metacampaign about keeping your units alive/etc that frankly wasn't very fun to me; the difficulty seemed tuned pretty high.

It's just very odd, because Hearthstone and Runeterra both have had roguelike modes that were pretty enjoyable and well-received, if imperfect. I think StS just really changed the landscape of the genre. And don't get me wrong - I love Slay the Spire, it'd just be nice to scratch the MTG itch more without the trappings of f2p.

Well, it's my indie game idea if I ever get around to it on godot.

Edit: I guess while I'm here Legends of Runeterra's Path of Champions mode remains one of the best examples of what I'm talking about in the genre. It is f2p and everything that entails, but the core game is very fun and reasonably well designed in my view - and PoC doesn't shy away from letting you have insanely overpowered builds sometimes if you get lucky, which is great. There's no energy mechanics or anything of that nature - the only closest thing is the monthly challenge limits you to using each hero 3x a month, but that's a separate new part of it and not tied to the main campaign stuff.

I had a game where I had two 10/10 Poros ready to fight and murder God on turn 2 of what was otherwise looking like a very difficult game.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 17, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Derek Yu and the FTL team must answer for their sins.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Preach it, dude. I have been craving a game like this for ages.
I think it's a lot more difficult to create -- you need an AI which can play cards, manage creatures, etc. And it would need a lot of content since you'll be seeing those cards many times.

I'm toying with a game that addresses the cards from a different angle. Instead of drafting cards/building a deck of cards, you have "components". These are things like a creature's power/toughness ratio, effects, etc.

Then, every time you would draw a card, you instead randomly generate one based on the distribution of components in your supply.

Similarly, you have templates which influence how the components are put together. High cost templates have bigger numbers or more lines of effects than low cost templates.

I still find making games (graphics and UI in particular) quite difficult, despite over a decade of professional development experience.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

malnourish posted:

I think it's a lot more difficult to create -- you need an AI which can play cards, manage creatures, etc. And it would need a lot of content since you'll be seeing those cards many times.

I'm toying with a game that addresses the cards from a different angle. Instead of drafting cards/building a deck of cards, you have "components". These are things like a creature's power/toughness ratio, effects, etc.

Then, every time you would draw a card, you instead randomly generate one based on the distribution of components in your supply.

Similarly, you have templates which influence how the components are put together. High cost templates have bigger numbers or more lines of effects than low cost templates.

I still find making games (graphics and UI in particular) quite difficult, despite over a decade of professional development experience.

Yeah, all this 100%. It's why I was hoping to jump off from Forge to be able to reuse a lot of the underlying bits but uh...man. Learning both Java and UI at the exact same time on a massive community code base without anyone to walk me through it was frankly over my competence level.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Below The Stone is out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1170230/Below_the_Stone/

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

malnourish posted:

The gauntlet and forge modes in Eternal are pretty fun to me if you're looking for MtG-like run-based play, and the ai is pretty mean. Unfortunately since the game is dying they clearly ran out of dev time to teach it about new cards that break the rules in interesting ways, so it's getting easier and easier to exploit.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'd like to see a sts like where you get to construct a deck ahead of time and pivot against uncertain threats, instead of build as you go dealing with a set of known threats

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tried the demo of this and it seems pretty cool, but looking at the store page, it looks like it's still pretty early in Early Access. I might wait for it to bake a little more. Seems like there's still a lot of biomes they want to add. Combat feels a little too simple, too -- it could really use a dodge roll or something.

I like the general idea and feel of it quite a bit and the demo is definitely worth a look at least!

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 18, 2023

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Impermanent posted:

I'd like to see a sts like where you get to construct a deck ahead of time and pivot against uncertain threats, instead of build as you go dealing with a set of known threats

I believe that's possible with Vault of the Void and one of its Instability modifiers (modular difficulty settings). It's not full deck construction ahead of time, but it feels good.

Breach Wanderers is a bit more like what you're describing; despite that game ticking a lot of my favorite boxes it just lacks some je ne sais quoi.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

not that i can lose at this point but still, :negative:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Also card based roguelike devs: please play a few of the ffg lcg co ops (marvel, lotr, arkham.) They're great and they do the whole "constructed deck dealing with unknown problems as you go" much more elegantly than the 20th "it's a deck builder but you're moving guys on a hex grid".

Failing that, play netrunner and make a netrunner sts. Not every game in the universe needs to run off of the MTG or hearthstone (bad worse mtg) paradigm

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

ffg lcg co ops

gesundheit

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989685

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RoboCicero posted:

This is probably like exactly what the person looking for something close to Runeterra wanted. The demo only has the "roguelite" draft mode but it's my understanding the story mode in the full game involves building preconstructed decks. There's also apparently multiplayer in the full release but it seems like more of a side focus as opposed to the game being balanced around PVP. I was pretty impressed with the demo, love the detailed play log and all the stats available.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Played a bunch of Roboquest since it was free on Game Pass. It's.. okay? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just feel like I get weaker and weaker as a run goes on. I haven't put anything together that was particularly powerful, my best run was with extra damage to ignited enemies and then the marking shotgun that did fire damage on ... the rocket/shotgun class. Most runs end slightly before the second boss when I hit a gauntlet room that is small and fills up with enemies because my damage falls behind to a degree that I can't clear it fast enough. Then it's just attrition until I'm dead.

The movement and guns feel pretty good. Gun variety is okay, good between weapon classes but not super strong within a class. Area variety is poor, there's just not a whole lot there and the different tile sets aren't that different from one another. Enemy variety is very low, it's all just kinda the same four - the little ball robot, the walking robot, the flying robot and the turrets. There's some big ones, too, but I usually only run in to two or three of those in a (admittedly not full) run.

For me, I preferred Gunfire Reborn quite a bit. That one was kind of made-to-be-broken where you're expected to put together some busted combo and then annihilate the last quarter of the game. This one feels too... conservative? In the amount of power they give to the player. It's like a few conditional 10-15% boosts that can come together to be pretty good when you do The Thing but it's tough to do that consistently in most situations - like it relies a 6 second buff from an ability with a 10 second cooldown or something.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

This is probably like exactly what the person looking for something close to Runeterra wanted. The demo only has the "roguelite" draft mode but it's my understanding the story mode in the full game involves building preconstructed decks. There's also apparently multiplayer in the full release but it seems like more of a side focus as opposed to the game being balanced around PVP. I was pretty impressed with the demo, love the detailed play log and all the stats available.

I was specifically talking about the Path of Champions mode in Legends of Runterra which is a straight up single player deckbuilding roguelike; I actually...really don't like preconstructed deckbuilding in these games as a general rule. I don't think I've played more than 1-2 actual runs in Runeterra proper and I basically completely avoid multiplayer.

Which all makes me a little disappointed in Cross Blitz, but I'll probably still give it a try.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

MerrMan posted:

Played a bunch of Roboquest since it was free on Game Pass. It's.. okay? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just feel like I get weaker and weaker as a run goes on. I haven't put anything together that was particularly powerful, my best run was with extra damage to ignited enemies and then the marking shotgun that did fire damage on ... the rocket/shotgun class. Most runs end slightly before the second boss when I hit a gauntlet room that is small and fills up with enemies because my damage falls behind to a degree that I can't clear it fast enough. Then it's just attrition until I'm dead.

The movement and guns feel pretty good. Gun variety is okay, good between weapon classes but not super strong within a class. Area variety is poor, there's just not a whole lot there and the different tile sets aren't that different from one another. Enemy variety is very low, it's all just kinda the same four - the little ball robot, the walking robot, the flying robot and the turrets. There's some big ones, too, but I usually only run in to two or three of those in a (admittedly not full) run.

For me, I preferred Gunfire Reborn quite a bit. That one was kind of made-to-be-broken where you're expected to put together some busted combo and then annihilate the last quarter of the game. This one feels too... conservative? In the amount of power they give to the player. It's like a few conditional 10-15% boosts that can come together to be pretty good when you do The Thing but it's tough to do that consistently in most situations - like it relies a 6 second buff from an ability with a 10 second cooldown or something.

Something to keep in mind is that you should always be upgrading or replacing your gun as you move up levels. That said the game becomes considerably more accessible as you acquire gadgets and unlock metaprog-related features like weapons dropping at higher levels and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Falcon2001 posted:

I was specifically talking about the Path of Champions mode in Legends of Runterra which is a straight up single player deckbuilding roguelike; I actually...really don't like preconstructed deckbuilding in these games as a general rule. I don't think I've played more than 1-2 actual runs in Runeterra proper and I basically completely avoid multiplayer.

Which all makes me a little disappointed in Cross Blitz, but I'll probably still give it a try.

The mode featured in the demo is exactly what you're describing, I've played a ton of Path of Champions and it seems very directly inspired. There's a little too much metaprogression for my tastes where you just directly upgrade your dude by grinding out runs, but that's true of PoC too, so oh well.