Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

A Plea To Car Haters: Stop Hating Cars
How vehicle-dependence makes the country fairer and more efficient

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Did big oil or big auto get that trash authored.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Did big oil or big auto get that trash authored.

¿Por Qué No Los Dos?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

No.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Even as someone who loves cars I recognize the infrastructure for them is totally overgrown and unfairly underwritten by citizens rather than the heavy trucking companies who put the majority of the wear on the roads

Cities should look more like Manhattan where there's the absolute bare minimum of roads to get around but dense enough to walk and with a serviceable public transit option vs say Los Angeles which is a nightmare and fully unlivable if you don't have access to a vehicle

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"Mr. Conwell" lmao

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Microplastics posted:

"roughly comparable" doing a lot of heavy lifting i'm willing to wager.

quote:

If using public transport, the average is 34 square kilometres in America versus 63 square kilometres in Europe.

roughly comparable may as well mean they are both numbers

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

few things are as reassuring to my worldviews as an economist op-ed decrying them

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oh God, having a conversation with a buddy and his girlfriend and they're both like, sure the population will decrease but plenty of human's will survive in the next couple hundred years.

Rolls eyes.

Feedback loops are hard to understand, aren't they?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Oh God, having a conversation with a buddy and his girlfriend and they're both like, sure the population will decrease but plenty of human's will survive in the next couple hundred years.

Rolls eyes.

Feedback loops are hard to understand, aren't they?

250 million total world population left is still plenty

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

starkebn posted:

I'm not convinced that the feedback loops/panicked nukes won't just help finish us off, but again, I guess that's a doomer take. Very unpopular and I have to remember to keep my mouth shut around people who in their 40's still want to have kids lol.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

no thats a trivializing & catastrophizing dramatic narrative

true doom is knowing it'll probably only be a few hundred millions dead, a few billion immiserated, and drag on for a century

there will be no closure, only suffering

far worse than ww2 on both a total and relative basis, but none of the rich will see an iota of justice

thinking that collapse will actually bring a kind of closure/justice is simply an escape fantasy. organic systems are fantastic at long slow decay. the future is death but on a timescale that to us means... gotta go to work tomorrow.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Nov 17, 2023

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
it's not bad until we start converting subway tunnels into housing

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Microplastics posted:

In 1990 roughly 20% of suburbanites were non-white.

weird disparity there... almost like there was something preventing non-whites from moving to suburbs for a long time

nevertheless, let's champion this diversity win!

bl1ndsight
Jun 29, 2023

by VideoGames

MightyBigMinus posted:

no thats a trivializing & catastrophizing dramatic narrative

true doom is knowing it'll probably only be a few hundred millions dead, a few billion immiserated, and drag on for a century

there will be no closure, only suffering

far worse than ww2 on both a total and relative basis, but none of the rich will see an iota of justice

thinking that collapse will actually bring a kind of closure/justice is simply an escape fantasy. organic systems are fantastic at long slow decay. the future is death but on a timescale that to us means... gotta go to work tomorrow.

why is it that in the doom thread of all places we've got people who can't roll with the quantity/quality dialectic, or think outside of human timescales. i prescribe cauldwell's crisis in physics, one of the few decent books by a human.

there is absolutely no reason at all that this poo poo couldn't instacollapse all the way to zero, tomorrow. complex systems only need one load bearing condition to drop out from underneath them and they evaporate. our system is global and all of its enabling conditions are dropping out from underneath it at an accelerating pace.

true doom isn't something in the future. true doom is past tense.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

bl1ndsight posted:

one of the few decent books by a human.

see i fuckin warned you about moon ananaki

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

starkebn posted:

Minimal viable population for most tetrapods is between 500 and 5000 it's fine

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if 1000 humans is enough for a wow server its enough for genetic diversity

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

blatman posted:

if 1000 humans is enough for a wow server its enough for genetic diversity

We're already dead

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

when the americas were de-populated approximately 90M of the 450M humans on earth (about 20%) died in under a century, mostly in a generation or two, and we didn't even know that until centuries later doing radar scans made it clear.

when the entire world (but mostly europe) went to war in the 1940s about the same number of people died (~80M), but it was out of 2.3B so only ~3% this time.

heat waves, droughts, failed harvests, failed states, even up to multiple concurrent breadbasket failures can lead to 500M people starving to death while 1B fight to death and another 2B simply live shorter lives of violent poverty...

and that still leaves ~6 billion people to work as wage slaves so that the rich can buy off ~500M 'middle class' people with tv shows and treats.

people underestimate how good capitalism is at death. you want there to be a breaking point where it stops, but thats hope not doom.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bl1ndsight posted:

why is it that in the doom thread of all places we've got people who can't roll with the quantity/quality dialectic, or think outside of human timescales. i prescribe cauldwell's crisis in physics, one of the few decent books by a human.

there is absolutely no reason at all that this poo poo couldn't instacollapse all the way to zero, tomorrow. complex systems only need one load bearing condition to drop out from underneath them and they evaporate. our system is global and all of its enabling conditions are dropping out from underneath it at an accelerating pace.

true doom isn't something in the future. true doom is past tense.
I had a longer post typed up but gave up. the one thing I will say is the future is very uncertain. there are two key facts:

1) there are still immense, utter fuckton, of fossil fuels left in the ground. much of that is in coal. Much of that directly in the imperial core.
2) the survival of most of humanity is entirely dependent on mega agriculture -- all powered by fossil fuels. As climate becomes more unreliable, most crop failures, less water (or too much water), we're going to need to expend even more energy than we do now to overproduce (brute force) through the calamities through continuing to expend humongous amounts of fossil fuels.

i see it as a bifurcation point: can we quickly build out as much coal and oil as possible while we still have the material and labor means to do and pump out thousands of coal plants quickly, or do we wait even too long to build out more fossil fuel generation that by the time fertilizers, easy water, cheap transportation, and immiserated labor runs out that it's too late to bring the gravy back?

i think things can continue the squeezing blood-from-stone grind of slow decline-collapse, if we can keep consuming immense amounts of energy and the infrastructure to extract and consume remains in place (and expands even). this means the imperial core will continue to exist longer solely because it owns significant energy required and keeps the periphery in check with force. But, if we fail to start consuming even more energy and planning around having to ramp it up, then it can go downwards very quickly.

with enough energy, you can brute force through disasters, it is a magic material, absolutely unparalleled. The amount of work a human can do in a day is around 600 watt-hr, but then here comes fossil fuels wherein a barrel has the energy potential of 700,000 watt-hours, or equivalent to a person working for 40 hours per week for over 4.5 years that requires no food, no healthcare, nothing, it's the perfect slave force-in-organic form. The average American person consumes 60 barrels a year, or the equivalent of having 70,000 slaves dedicated to their whims. the amount of "work" (in both the thermodynamic sense and the literal labor sense) you get out of fossil energy is unprecedented, with enough energy you can rebuild a flooded Miami many times over, you can raise it many times over, you can continue to building extravagant military industrial complexes to subjugate the colonies, and you can continue to keep producing insane amounts of burgers for the burgerpeople, hell you could build a loving dome over Phoenix and keep it air conditioned to 62 degrees during the 140f summer.

Capitalism is also a cybernetic system that optimizes to produce and consume as much as energy as possible. it's not going to give up energy. but it is capable of undermining itself: it will become fragile, redundancies taken out because it's not profitable, ignore and let the problems fall into dissarray and by the time it realizes it's too late, well..

we best start seeing more and more coal plants coming online writ large.... or else

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Nov 17, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

I had a longer post typed up but gave up. the one thing I will say is the future is very uncertain. there are two key facts:

1) there are still immense, utter fuckton, of fossil fuels left in the ground. much of that is in coal. Much of that directly in the imperial core.
2) the survival of most of humanity is entirely dependent on mega agriculture -- all powered by fossil fuels. As climate becomes more unreliable, most crop failures, less water (or too much water), we're going to need to expend even more energy than we do now to overproduce (brute force) through the calamities through continuing to expend humongous amounts of fossil fuels.

i see it as a birfucation point: can we quickly build out as much coal and oil as possible while we still have the material and labor means to do and pump out thousands of coal plants quickly, or do we wait even too long to build out more fossil fuel generation that by the time fertilizers, easy water, cheap transportation, and immiserated labor runs out that it's too late to bring the gravy back?

i think things can continue the squeezing blood-from-stone grind of slow decline-collapse, if we can keep consuming immense amounts of energy and the infrastructure to extract and consume remains in place (and expands even). this means the imperial core will continue to exist longer solely because it owns significant energy required and keeps the periphery in check with force. But, if we fail to start consuming even more energy and planning around having to ramp it up, then it can go downwards very quickly.

we best start seeing more and more coal plants coming online writ large

:unsmigghh:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Xaris posted:

i see it as a bifurcation point: can we quickly build out as much coal and oil as possible while we still have the material and labor means to do and pump out thousands of coal plants quickly, or do we wait even too long to build out more fossil fuel generation that by the time fertilizers, easy water, cheap transportation, and immiserated labor runs out that it's too late to bring the gravy back?

with enough energy, you can brute force through disasters, it is a magic material, absolutely unparalleled. The amount of work a human can do in a day is around 600 watt-hr, but then here comes fossil fuels wherein a barrel has the energy potential of 700,000 watt-hours, or equivalent to a person working for 40 hours per week for over 4.5 years that requires no food, no healthcare, nothing, it's the perfect slave force-in-organic form. The average American person consumes 60 barrels a year, or the equivalent of having 70,000 slaves dedicated to their whims. the amount of "work" (in both the thermodynamic sense and the literal labor sense) you get out of fossil energy is unprecedented, with enough energy you can rebuild a flooded Miami many times over, you can raise it many times over, you can continue to building extravagant military industrial complexes to subjugate the colonies, and you can continue to keep producing insane amounts of burgers for the burgerpeople, hell you could build a loving dome over Phoenix and keep it air conditioned to 62 degrees during the 140f summer.

Capitalism is also a cybernetic system that optimizes to produce and consume as much as energy as possible. it's not going to give up energy. but it is capable of undermining itself: it will become fragile, redundancies taken out because it's not profitable, ignore and let the problems fall into dissarray and by the time it realizes it's too late, well..

we best start seeing more and more coal plants coming online writ large.... or else

syq

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

burn baby burn

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Talk to old people gardeners and they will tell you in no uncertain terms that things are hosed up. Even the old MAGA assholes who absolutely do not believe in climate change will tell you.

Hobby gardens (especially ones that don't go hard on pesticides or chemical fertilizers) are really uncontrolled environments and crazy susceptible to weather that big commercial operations with controlled growing conditions can shrug off. Anyone who shoves a few plants in their backyard knows that poo poo ain't right and that things like recommended planting/harvesting times have error bars that are like months long.

I live in loving CT and last year I could have easily grown greens all winter long.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
this is violence. please never post anything like this again in this thread

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

OIL PANIC posted:

this is violence. please never post anything like this again in this thread

Its called microposts

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I regret to inform everyone that the song 16 Tons has been updated to reference current inflation stats and incoming energy shortages.

You load 60 tons, what do you get?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

The Demilich posted:

I regret to inform everyone that the song 16 Tons has been updated to reference current inflation stats and incoming energy shortages.

Our EROI lower and deeper in debt. :smith:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris posted:

we're running this poo poo straight inton the ground

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Samuel Glompers posted:

It's crazy to think about what summer is gonna be like next year lol

Scarabrae posted:

Beautiful 70°C degree day gonna have dinner outside on the deck, this time next week gonna barely crack 30°C

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Demilich posted:

Did you remember to factor in productivity gains?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
The survival of humanity is dependent on phytoplankton continuing to produce oxygen. When you jam CO2 into the atmosphere it buffers into the surface ocean. Faster CO2 loading rates buffer more of it in the surface ocean before it has time to disperse and whoopsie you get more ocean acidification. The rates that we're doing this and causing acidification have no geological correlate in history. None. It's truly novel :)

Last I checked studies a while ago they were predicting we'd see consequences of this (regional undersaturation where carbonate or aragonite can't form) starting in the 2030s.

This planet has ways to annihilate every last mammal and we're toying around with finding out how.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The survival of humanity is dependent on phytoplankton continuing to produce oxygen. When you jam CO2 into the atmosphere it buffers into the surface ocean. Faster CO2 loading rates buffer more of it in the surface ocean before it has time to disperse and whoopsie you get more ocean acidification. The rates that we're doing this and causing acidification have no geological correlate in history. None. It's truly novel :)

Last I checked studies a while ago they were predicting we'd see consequences of this (regional undersaturation where carbonate or aragonite can't form) starting in the 2030s.

This planet has ways to annihilate every last mammal and we're toying around with finding out how.

Cats and dogs hosed up bad by throwing their lot in with humans, feel bad for them

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Cats and dogs helped us in our switch to agriculture so they are complicit enablers.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The terraforming project is finally becoming noticeable,. Good work everyone, keep it up.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Cats seem like they've known what would happen all along, and have just been waiting :catstare:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

my "death before 2040" prediction lookin good!!

nah we'll find a way to turn oil into oxygen

domes domes domes Domes Domes Domes DOMES DOMES DOMES DOMES DOMES DOMES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

starkebn posted:

The terraforming project is finally becoming noticeable,. Good work everyone, keep it up.

the lizard people who run the world are very happy