Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Stop giving your phone applications access to your microphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That's just the start, soon you'll realise that Big Technology is making digital clocks read 22:22 far too often.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

mossyfisk posted:

That's just the start, soon you'll realise that Big Technology is making digital clocks read 22:22 far too often.

I thought 11:34 was coming up more often than it should
:thunk:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's the funniest thing for me to Google on my phone at work and gently caress up my coworkers' ads?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

how to block ads on phone

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
how to unionize

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
How to seduce boss

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
butthole enlargement surgery

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

somethingawful forums subscription

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
bulk discount abortions

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Saraiguma posted:

bulk discount abortions

i got a ten pack prepaid at costco. now i can just go down to my local planned parenthood and get it done easy, no muss no fuss

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
automatic firearms license apply retroactively?
age of consent laws by state
lawyers near me

Edit on-topic: this computer doesn't have a mic and my phone isn't smart so the worst I get is something like clips for Star Trek Voyager showing up in YouTube recommended after I go on a nostalgia spree on some streaming pirate site

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Nov 17, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Coolness Averted posted:

I do think they use the tech you described, but I turn my wifi and gps off if not using them, and I've had far too many cases of "The thing someone not linked to your device or social media just mentioned in conversation came up as a social media ad, the next time you open it."

im pretty sure those on or off doesn't matter on the "spying on you" part

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Palladium posted:

If they give you an option to turn it off and spy on you anyway maybe that matters in court like ten years from now

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

poemdexter posted:

Stop giving your phone applications access to your microphone.

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Islamic Shock posted:

If they give you an option to turn it off and spy on you anyway maybe that matters in court like ten years from now

Narrator: It won't

poo poo if anything it'll probably be taken as a mens rea

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah, permissions don't seem to matter much when it comes to apps accessing my microphone.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mushika posted:

Yeah, permissions don't seem to matter much when it comes to apps accessing my microphone.

false sense of security, IN my backdoored to the brim device?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

lol, some millionaire commissioned a super capitalist desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkgpZYu6rZE

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Palladium posted:

Right, the pinme model can get an idea of where someone's been even with a phone fully off.
I don't think that's being used to serve ads though, and if it is I don't really get someone's point in saying "no silly, your phone's microphone isn't being used to collect data on you without your permission. Literally every sensor (including the mic, but just not for keywords) is being used to collect data without your permission."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

spacetoaster posted:

If I was a captain of industry I'd have like a show office with desks like this and big chairs and a fireplace and taxidermied animals and stuff but then also an actual getting things done office that's just a windowless gray room with florescent lights and stained carpet and a pressboard work area

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If I was a captain of industry I'd have like a show office with desks like this and big chairs and a fireplace and taxidermied animals and stuff but then also an actual getting things done office that's just a windowless gray room with florescent lights and stained carpet and a pressboard work area

If you're a captain of industry, you don't have things to get done.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

spacetoaster posted:

The inscription in Russian says, 'The time is not forever, what we can do has no limit'. Makes zero loving sense.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Islamic Shock posted:

automatic firearms license apply retroactively?
age of consent laws by state
lawyers near me

I don't think the ad budget for these is that high. Best you can do is anime body pillow, that gets you some grossed out co-workers. Maybe sex toys too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

spacetoaster posted:

super embarrassing.

them, not you.

Maybe

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

amazon sent me a 16 page book on how they totally don't make their wage slaves pee in bottles

phoneposting, apologies if huge

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

amazon sent me a 16 page book on how they totally don't make their wage slaves pee in bottles

phoneposting, apologies if huge

I got that, too. It was all about how they have totally saved the environment and ended poverty.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Why don't I get corporate propaganda :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tokin opposition posted:

Why don't I get corporate propaganda :(

oh, sweetheart, you do!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
they don't send it to me because propaganda doesn't work on me

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
im immune

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
That's what the first hand meat mouth said right before he worked himself to death to secure a slightly larger bonus for the overlords.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BigHead posted:

That's what the first hand meat mouth said right before he worked himself to death to secure a slightly larger bonus for the overlords.

In his defence, the alternatives were starving to death or being worked to death as a prison slave.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ham Equity posted:

I got that, too. It was all about how they have totally saved the environment and ended poverty.

I got a one sheet from them telling me how much they help with education

bitch my kid is in a 3rd/4th split class because schools don't have enough funding to pay staff. gently caress off.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I did "multiage" like that for 2/3 and 4/5th grade but it wasn't because the school was out of money, it was a novel teaching idea where the older kids buddy up with the younger kids and it was all very modern and progressive and new and 90's

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

one of my daughters has been the upper half of a split for the past 4 years and it’s not my favourite

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the teacher we got is also newer and clearly overwhelmed as heck. all I can do is just volunteer as much as possible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

I did "multiage" like that for 2/3 and 4/5th grade but it wasn't because the school was out of money, it was a novel teaching idea where the older kids buddy up with the younger kids and it was all very modern and progressive and new and 90's

Montessori is like 100 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My grade school had combined grades 1/2 3/4 5/6 and 7/8 but that's because, including kindergarten, there was 70 students total (about 12% of the towns population)