Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Tomn posted:

That is exactly what happened, yes. The game does model i.e. juntas and presidential dictatorships which may be theoretically democratic and has a system of elections but in practice is essentially rule by one man or a few. I guess Mazzini proved to be your Cincinnatus!

I mean, OK, but that's very unintuitive - I set up an agitator to enact a presidential republic, faced a revolution to stop this, I defeated that revolution and put the landowners back in their place (as a landowner-run autocratic government... I think that's where the biggest disconnect happens, when you don't want to actually enable your party in charge or want to tear it down in practice but necessarily all your actions are "filtered" through them so to speak since that's the government you start with), they utterly lost and conceded everything, the law passed - so I would expect to enact a presidential republic like the game "promised" me to, not that the game would still leave the old guard in charge as a dictatorship, especially since they utterly lost their chance at stopping this on the field of battle. I would've expected that defeating the rebellion and passing the law would put Mazzini in charge as president of the new republic :shrug: I think it should be clearer that enacting a republic will not, in fact, enact a republic, and that's pretty bad - especially since presidential republic doesn't hard-lock autocracy out, it's parliamentary republic that does that, or so it looks like. I think there is too much of a disconnect between the current government "you" represent as the spirit of the nation, when you actually do want to change your government and laws.

Also, I didn't WANT census suffrage because my pops are very ignorant and vote en masse for the church and rural folks parties :argh: I'd have been perfectly fine with landed voting or wealth voting, I did all this to empower the intelligentsia not the dirt farmers :argh: but there was absolutely no other option to change voting system, because the main party in government was still the landowners (again, after badly losing a civil war because they didn't want a republic to be enacted) and they didn't want the status quo to change obviously! I could either stay a totally regressive autocracy or try and go census suffrage thanks to Mazzini being there, no middle way. And also no chance to change any other law, I was stuck either trying for that census suffrage, or keeping the same laws until a new movement/agitator popped up randomly.

Should I have just reformed the "military dictatorship" government after they lost the civil war and before the law to enact presidential republic passed, in order to put the intelligentsia in charge? I "tried" doing that but it estimated a legitimacy of 2/100 for that government reform plus a few hundred k new radicals, and that didn't sound great...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
From the new patch:

Game 1 as France, went Bonapartist and reached the natural borders. All was going fine until Prussia started making german unification plays. It defaults you to 'cut down to size' wargoal which means you need to occupy their capitol to get ticking warscore and there's no reasonable way to push all the way through Prussia just to make that happen, so I just fought defensively and white peaced out.

Instantly Prussia launched another unification play, truce be damned. It did this 3-4 times in a row locking our nations into an eternal hellwar. I think this is because they're activating the unification play through a button rather than the normal wardec mechanics.

Game 2 as Greece. Did an Imperialism over Ethiopia because they were weak and orthodox. Went well for a while, integrated into the Russian market, was doing fine.

But then the rural folk with 6.4% clout kept a 60% civil war brewing for literally 30 years. Their political movement to establish homesteading never went away until I finally suppressed them into marginalization. Subsequently, I got a big movement to separate church and state and the Intelligensia were in power so I got that through despite a small catholic church civil war. Afterwards I tried to switch from religious to public schools.

The catholics, now at 3% clout and marginalized influence, launched a 100-radicalism civil war. During the civil war, the ultra-marginalized catholic church at 0.9% clout STARTED ANOTHER MOVEMENT to oppose the godless public schools. I wrapped up the first civil war and the church immediately launched a second one. They were easy wins, 1-2 states flipped each time, but there's something fucky happening with factions able to launch and sustain high-radicalism civil wars despite less than 1% clout.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This patch is massively slower than the 1.5.5 beta was, it's not just me, right?

Also maybe I've just been unlucky but I have had a lot less success getting powerful intelligensia in the early game now, I guess this is probably related to some of the changes regarding farmers and the PB driving more middle class pops towards different IGs

toasterwarrior posted:

Question regarding missing qualifications warning:

1) Does a building need each tier of employables for a building need to be completely filled before it starts filling up another tier? ie. A logging camp needs 500 machinists, 4000 laborers, and 100 capitalists to run. If upgraded to a level 2 logging camp, can you employ 8k laborers right from the getgo or do you need 500 machinists and 100 capitalists in place before they start hiring the second set of 4k laborers?

2) If the warning says I don't have enough qualifications to employ capitalists or whatever, does that mean I'm actually fine with building the industry because logically the employed people will be able to rank up towards capitalists from their newfound wealth as workers?

You need the correct ratio of workers at all times, so if you have a shortage of even 10 capitalists it will prevent you from hiring up a load of labourers. The "you don't have enough qualifications" warning isn't always correct but you should definitely avoid building non-critical industries if you're getting it.

Thanqol posted:

But then the rural folk with 6.4% clout kept a 60% civil war brewing for literally 30 years. Their political movement to establish homesteading never went away until I finally suppressed them into marginalization. Subsequently, I got a big movement to separate church and state and the Intelligensia were in power so I got that through despite a small catholic church civil war. Afterwards I tried to switch from religious to public schools.

The catholics, now at 3% clout and marginalized influence, launched a 100-radicalism civil war. During the civil war, the ultra-marginalized catholic church at 0.9% clout STARTED ANOTHER MOVEMENT to oppose the godless public schools. I wrapped up the first civil war and the church immediately launched a second one. They were easy wins, 1-2 states flipped each time, but there's something fucky happening with factions able to launch and sustain high-radicalism civil wars despite less than 1% clout.

This sounds extremely weird, is it possible that this is some special France thing making them more likely to have civil wars?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

You need the correct ratio of workers at all times, so if you have a shortage of even 10 capitalists it will prevent you from hiring up a load of labourers. The "you don't have enough qualifications" warning isn't always correct but you should definitely avoid building non-critical industries if you're getting it.

Cheers, thank you for this. I hope the qualifications boosting decree is enough to get qualifications rolling then, because a recurring issue I've had is finding states with like 5k peasants ready for employment but not qualified enough to fill a building out. Logically this would mean I would need at least 10k peasants in place to guarantee full employment, one half to staff a university, the other to work the building and eventually promote to fill all positions.

I recognize this is probably an inaccurate and exceedingly micro-heavy read, but well, I enjoy the micro :v

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Early game you should almost always have promote social mobility on your chosen "build up a ton of industry here" state. Later on you have universities and education to pick up the slack.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

RabidWeasel posted:

Also maybe I've just been unlucky but I have had a lot less success getting powerful intelligensia in the early game now, I guess this is probably related to some of the changes regarding farmers and the PB driving more middle class pops towards different IGs

This is probably also related to this change

quote:

Limited pops that can join Intelligentsia to Academics, Aristocrats, Bureaucrats, Capitalists, Clergymen, Clerks, and Engineers

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RabidWeasel posted:

Early game you should almost always have promote social mobility on your chosen "build up a ton of industry here" state. Later on you have universities and education to pick up the slack.

I'm not sure if you should have a specific "build up a ton of industry here" state any more. Do local prices mean you're better off doing stuff like putting tool factories next to things that use them, like construction industries and mines?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also I've been meaning to ask, but is it possible to actually concentrate industry in places you want them in as a small nation? I've always felt like, even with migration decrees, it was near impossibly or glacially slow to get people to migrate to where you want them to work, and so it was better to split up industries and take the efficiency hit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gort posted:

I'm not sure if you should have a specific "build up a ton of industry here" state any more. Do local prices mean you're better off doing stuff like putting tool factories next to things that use them, like construction industries and mines?

You probably only have 1 or 2 states, if any, that have a decent amount of coal, iron and wood all in the same place. These will be your industrial heartlands as you need all 3 of these together to make stuff like tools and steel and motors, so you're going to have a limited number of states which can generate goods (and construction output) in the most efficient way.

Even better if the province has sulphur (and/or lead) as well but that's rarer still.

When it comes to spreading out development that's primarily in respect to stuff like furniture and clothing factories; demand for these is generated by pops, wheras demand for industrial inputs is generated by the industry itself, especially construction.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 17, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah like putting your tooling factories and big construction centers in an iron province seems to be a no brainer, especially if it has coal. Kind of interested in how this affects where you put your arms industries and barracks now

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah like putting your tooling factories and big construction centers in an iron province seems to be a no brainer, especially if it has coal. Kind of interested in how this affects where you put your arms industries and barracks now

I half expect the gamey considerations surrounding building barracks in your capital will still reign supreme over some slight economic gains.

At least earlier game when you may use some rebellious shenanigans to push through necessary law changes. With higher tech when things start to get expensive I can certainly see building up the MIC to support your tank armies in the same province as their barracks.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I"m on like 1883 and barely industrialized with Persia then watched a video about efficient industrialization in the early game. Apparently you shouldn't just spam level 1 buildings all over the map, huh?

Should probably restart then. Not sure which country to try out next.

edit: Also I built a ton of agriculture without knowing the Ownership mechanics and have spent like the past 20 years wishing I could suppress the 51% Clout Landowner faction in my country to no avail. Learned that little tidbit in this video as well.

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 17, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It seems the mobilization option (the part where you can issue extra goods to your army) is quite impactful. I was playing my Persia game and got into a fight with Russia over Afghanistan. The Russian army outnumbered me two to one (not sure why, but they only send some of their army over instead of everything), but my forces were able to hold them off like a wall until my other army captured my war goal and peace them out eventually.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Thanqol posted:

From the new patch:

Instantly Prussia launched another unification play, truce be damned. It did this 3-4 times in a row locking our nations into an eternal hellwar. I think this is because they're activating the unification play through a button rather than the normal wardec mechanics.

I’ve noticed the same thing in my game where communist Germany and capitalist France are the two leading industrial powers and eternally stalemated over the Saarland. It has also resulted in AI Germany getting almost 100 infamy from instantly repeating the unification plays every time they white peace.

Probably should just prevent unification plays if you have a truce with anyone who owns a relevant state.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

TorakFade posted:

I mean, OK, but that's very unintuitive - I set up an agitator to enact a presidential republic, faced a revolution to stop this, I defeated that revolution and put the landowners back in their place (as a landowner-run autocratic government... I think that's where the biggest disconnect happens, when you don't want to actually enable your party in charge or want to tear it down in practice but necessarily all your actions are "filtered" through them so to speak since that's the government you start with), they utterly lost and conceded everything, the law passed - so I would expect to enact a presidential republic like the game "promised" me to, not that the game would still leave the old guard in charge as a dictatorship, especially since they utterly lost their chance at stopping this on the field of battle. I would've expected that defeating the rebellion and passing the law would put Mazzini in charge as president of the new republic :shrug: I think it should be clearer that enacting a republic will not, in fact, enact a republic, and that's pretty bad - especially since presidential republic doesn't hard-lock autocracy out, it's parliamentary republic that does that, or so it looks like. I think there is too much of a disconnect between the current government "you" represent as the spirit of the nation, when you actually do want to change your government and laws.

Also, I didn't WANT census suffrage because my pops are very ignorant and vote en masse for the church and rural folks parties :argh: I'd have been perfectly fine with landed voting or wealth voting, I did all this to empower the intelligentsia not the dirt farmers :argh: but there was absolutely no other option to change voting system, because the main party in government was still the landowners (again, after badly losing a civil war because they didn't want a republic to be enacted) and they didn't want the status quo to change obviously! I could either stay a totally regressive autocracy or try and go census suffrage thanks to Mazzini being there, no middle way. And also no chance to change any other law, I was stuck either trying for that census suffrage, or keeping the same laws until a new movement/agitator popped up randomly.

Should I have just reformed the "military dictatorship" government after they lost the civil war and before the law to enact presidential republic passed, in order to put the intelligentsia in charge? I "tried" doing that but it estimated a legitimacy of 2/100 for that government reform plus a few hundred k new radicals, and that didn't sound great...

Couldn't you just have reformed the government after the civil war? The parties on the losing end of a civil war get a -100% modifier to clout, which slowly ticks back to 0% over the next few years, giving you an opportunity to suppress them and pass a couple of laws they hate.

Legitimacy is still going to suck, because the other parties aren't going to get a clout bonus, but that's just the price you pay for violently seizing power in a revolution. You do need at least 25 Legitimacy to pass any laws at all, though, and it sounds like the Intelligentsia weren't quite ready to be put in charge. Put the biggest IG or two on the winning side in control and do everything you can to weaken the IGs you don't like before their clout can recover.

Yeah, that'll probably be the church and rural folks, but it sounds like the Intelligentsia are still pretty small in your game. The church and rural IGs should let you pass plenty of laws to weaken the Landowners. Once you've cleared out all the Landowners' beloved regressive laws and can start really cranking up the education and industrialization, the church and rural folks should naturally weaken over time, allowing you to pass power over to the Intelligentsia.

Absum
May 28, 2013

TorakFade posted:

I think it should be clearer that enacting a republic will not, in fact, enact a republic
Most of the world defines republic as a country of which the head of state is not a monarch, so yes if the only law you changed was monarchy -> presidential republic I would just expect this to rename the king (and probably change who becomes the next president to some other method than inheritance, at least officially). Being a republic has nothing to do with elections, even if republics will frequently also be democracies. What Americans call a republic is what most people call a representative democracy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In my experience as Brazil you can put the liberals and the intelligentsia in power from the start as long as you cut taxes a little. The first election is gonna be dicey depending on what RNG you get but you can suck up having the landowners in charge for one cycle

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Okay, don't even bother trying to successfully complete Magnanious Monarch as Brazil. There are very few, fixed one-time ways to raise the bar...and a whole lot more ways, including repeatable things, that can lower it. I thought I'd managed to thread the needle, but then it turns out you lose another even more progress when Pedro gets close to/dies. So basically impossible to complete, though I'm sure there's some cheese strat.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

This patch is massively slower than the 1.5.5 beta was, it's not just me, right?

Quoting myself to say they hotfixed a new performance bug today (by disabling AI convoy raiding temporarily) which has hopefully fixed this, so if you were getting extremely bad performance, try again

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Zeron posted:

Okay, don't even bother trying to successfully complete Magnanious Monarch as Brazil. There are very few, fixed one-time ways to raise the bar...and a whole lot more ways, including repeatable things, that can lower it. I thought I'd managed to thread the needle, but then it turns out you lose another even more progress when Pedro gets close to/dies. So basically impossible to complete, though I'm sure there's some cheese strat.

My first attempt failed after losing progress unnecessarily twice by letting a revolution get over 50% and having the landowners get back up to powerful after I had gotten them down to influential, which felt unfair since I was doing everything possible to keep them down. Did you avoid those losses and finish all the relevant JEs? If you did and still didn't make it that really does seem impossible.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Magissima posted:

My first attempt failed after losing progress unnecessarily twice by letting a revolution get over 50% and having the landowners get back up to powerful after I had gotten them down to influential, which felt unfair since I was doing everything possible to keep them down. Did you avoid those losses and finish all the relevant JEs? If you did and still didn't make it that really does seem impossible.

Pedro only unlocks the ability to die of natural causes like 50-60 years into the game. And he can still live a long time afterwards too! So to actually win it for almost all of the game you need no revolutions even getting to 50%, have to make sure landowners/armed forces are suppressed, can't ban slavery, can't get rid of tenant farmers, and can't default or go into bankruptcy. And then you have to do all the positive modifiers perfectly. They made a journal entry for it that requires you to have the world's best navy for 40 years and it only gives 10%! I don't know why they did it this way.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I only got hit with one of the revolution penalty dings, if I'm reading the requirements right, you only need to have the bar halfway full when Pedro dies to successfully complete it? Not there yet but sitting at half and still have the coffee and navy entries to help increase it if I can actually manage to complete them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I got close but yeah, the navy entry requiring 40 years is a real loving bummer since it's not particularly easy to keep (or really worth it other than for that specific JE)

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I only got hit with one of the revolution penalty dings, if I'm reading the requirements right, you only need to have the bar halfway full when Pedro dies to successfully complete it? Not there yet but sitting at half and still have the coffee and navy entries to help increase it if I can actually manage to complete them.

Half isn't good enough, you need 60% iirc. I suspect even one unnecessary setback will doom you or at best reduce the margin for error to zero.

I think I'm just going to give up on Pedro for now and try to get the landowner republic asap and hope the populist JE shows up quickly. Feels bad to let the goddamn landowners win even temporarily but I guess it's more or less the historical route.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Magissima posted:

Half isn't good enough, you need 60% iirc. I suspect even one unnecessary setback will doom you or at best reduce the margin for error to zero.

I think I'm just going to give up on Pedro for now and try to get the landowner republic asap and hope the populist JE shows up quickly. Feels bad to let the goddamn landowners win even temporarily but I guess it's more or less the historical route.

Its this, or at least its two iirc. Basically if you do /every/ positive you can abolish slavery and make one whoopsy. I don't think you even have any margin if you cant marginalize the landowners+armed forces in time

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well poo poo, I feel like it's part of the design but I'm running up against the issue of peasants being more satisfied than laborers, and have no idea how to shift them to the jobs I need them to be in. Laborers and peasants are both lower-class so they use the same goods, tax level changes hit everyone so I can't be precise. What's the play here, the only path I see forward is flooding the market with cheap basic goods since they're technically products that subsistence farms make, and therefore basically depriving them of their already meager rear end income. Does that check out?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

toasterwarrior posted:

Well poo poo, I feel like it's part of the design but I'm running up against the issue of peasants being more satisfied than laborers, and have no idea how to shift them to the jobs I need them to be in. Laborers and peasants are both lower-class so they use the same goods, tax level changes hit everyone so I can't be precise. What's the play here, the only path I see forward is flooding the market with cheap basic goods since they're technically products that subsistence farms make, and therefore basically depriving them of their already meager rear end income. Does that check out?

That or you can use up all the arable land, which I think forces them out of subsistence farms. (I haven't had this issue so I don't have a real answer)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
You can complete MM by forming a presidential republic with Pedro as first president. I managed it after crushing the aristocrats and banning slavery around 1860. Having Isabella as heir gives 3 points which should put you in the green.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
River of Coffee is rough, there doesn't seem to be enough demand in the world to satisfy the requirements of it if you're playing "normally" until you get much later in the game with high SOL. It feels basically impossible to complete within the time limit for integrating the Paulistas without either cheesing it by sabotaging your coffee industry before the JE pops up or getting lucky with the British Raj collapsing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Pakled posted:

River of Coffee is rough, there doesn't seem to be enough demand in the world to satisfy the requirements of it if you're playing "normally" until you get much later in the game with high SOL. It feels basically impossible to complete within the time limit for integrating the Paulistas without either cheesing it by sabotaging your coffee industry before the JE pops up or getting lucky with the British Raj collapsing.

my biggest success has been with taking a Qing treaty port and using them. they’re not rich perse but there’s enough aristos

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

been reading some code as I theorycraft how im going to form pakistan, and I found something funny

code:
        change_tag = BGL
        hidden_effect = {
            remove_primary_culture = cu:british
            add_primary_culture = cu:bengali
            set_state_religion = rel:sunni
            every_scope_character = {
                limit = {
                    OR = {
                        culture = cu:british
                        culture = cu:scottish
                    }
                }
                kill_character = yes
            }
        }

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

That or you can use up all the arable land, which I think forces them out of subsistence farms. (I haven't had this issue so I don't have a real answer)

Aristocrats should use all their IP to do enclosure imo xD

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Pakled posted:

I managed to fill the bar 10 years before I needed to, the real struggle was getting 125 total plantations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Playing as sardinia-piedmont, I got all the independent north Italian states on my side, though I spent a good 7 years trying to pass landed voting because the industrialists decided to get a strongman leader which killed what is normally a super easy reform.

Also, had the ottomans declare on me for... complete annexation. Thankfully I got France to join in exchange for nice but drat, that's a bit of some aggressive AI.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The AI's still a liiiittle bit too happy to hand out subject transfers, I just got Canada off the UK in exchange for backup with their Liberal Western Australia Revolt (regiments: 2).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

Playing as sardinia-piedmont, I got all the independent north Italian states on my side, though I spent a good 7 years trying to pass landed voting because the industrialists decided to get a strongman leader which killed what is normally a super easy reform.

Also, had the ottomans declare on me for... complete annexation. Thankfully I got France to join in exchange for nice but drat, that's a bit of some aggressive AI.

When it comes to most cursed early game IG leaders my last game had a protectionist Industrialist so I couldn't pass LF :shepicide:

toasterwarrior posted:

They produce mostly grain so absolutely flooring the price of grain works, also if you educate them enough they will become dissatisfied with their jobs because they want to be working a middle class position which means they'll start working elsewhere

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

They produce mostly grain so absolutely flooring the price of grain works, also if you educate them enough they will become dissatisfied with their jobs because they want to be working a middle class position which means they'll start working elsewhere

Yeah, I'll be doing this, especially since cheap rear end grain makes laborers happy too so it's a win-win.

Man, economics is *hard* but drat if it isn't interesting.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I know deadly shoe responded, but i cannot parse their post so:

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I just had the UK force me to add an IG to my government. Never seen that before, was it added with 1.5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Does anyone know how tough a Paraguyan campaign would be? I want to check out the new content, but I've not played with the new military mechanics yet, so its unclear how much of an uphill battle it would be.