Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Since the latest patch my beats fit pros have occasionally been playing audio on only one side until I take them both out of my ears and reseat them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Apple is finally adding RCS for those who give a poo poo lol

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/11/16/apple-to-adopt-rcs-messaging-standard/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm glad that government pressure is forcing them to change some of their practices.

I still think the App Store and that whole ecosystem should be closed but there's definitely conversation to be had about the cuts that Apple takes for things like subscriptions and in-app purchases.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Skeezy posted:

That's nice actually, it works over wifi, can share location, better photo resolution and group texts, reactions, encryption. Android users will still show up green I bet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Skeezy posted:

"[Sic] the standard as currently published by the GSM Association"
Lmao, it's the RCS ISO standard and it's going to be bad and people will be upset because RCS is a shitshow.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Getting postage-stamp sized videos in a group chat with 1 android user is really loving annoying, so this is actually a good change. Shame it won't be til "later next year." I'm guessing that means iOS 18.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Is it RCS the ISO standard or RCS the "Everything goes through Google servers" standard?

I think Google does their stuff through Signal? I honestly don’t know. I’ll let someone who knows more give you a better answer.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

That's nice actually, it works over wifi, can share location, better photo resolution and group texts, reactions, encryption. Android users will still show up green I bet.

I’m going to assume that Apple just does whatever bare minimum they have to do to support RCS. Green bubbles won’t go anywhere.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Skeezy posted:

This is great, and long overdue. It will make the various group chats that happen in the US so much easier, because most people in the US don't use Whatsapp for that poo poo.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Skeezy posted:

I think Google does their stuff through Signal? I honestly don’t know. I’ll let someone who knows more give you a better answer.

No??

RCS UP is pretty standard and carriers can either implement their own hub, or use the Google Jibe hub

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Apple implements their own RCS hub rather than relying on carriers

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Raymond T. Racing posted:

No??

RCS UP is pretty standard and carriers can either implement their own hub, or use the Google Jibe hub

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Apple implements their own RCS hub rather than relying on carriers

That’s why I rather have someone who knows this stuff answer lol. Thanks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There’s no way Apple’s implementation includes Google’s tacked-on e2e encryption portion.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Whatsapp is owned by facebook so I shan’t use is

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I still think the App Store and that whole ecosystem should be closed but there's definitely conversation to be had about the cuts that Apple takes for things like subscriptions and in-app purchases.

Headlines started appearing a week or so ago that Apple is about to allow sideloading so even that is gonna change. Lots of rumors with no details but I feel like there's some credence to the chatter.

Turns out government regulation works! It's gonna be terrible, malicious apps are gonna be an everyday hazard, but it's what the people want!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

hatty posted:

WhatsApp uses Signal's tech so it's not a terrible choice, I just wouldn't expect Facebook not to collect as much metadata as possible with who you're communicating with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I’m going to assume that Apple just does whatever bare minimum they have to do to support RCS. Green bubbles won’t go anywhere.

They absolutely won't give RCS blue but maybe we'll get a new bubble color.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Pink to make it even more obnoxious.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’ll be a nice teal

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

black on black for dark mode users, white on white for everyone else

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FCKGW posted:

The Verge just posted an article an hour ago about lots of people complaining they lost charging ability in their GM vehicles after the last update

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/16/23963780/iphone-15-wireless-charging-gm-chevy-buick-cadillac

Well dang- that makes sense.

Anyway I'm off to pick up my 15 pro from the Apple Store- they've replaced the back glass completely.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

Headlines started appearing a week or so ago that Apple is about to allow sideloading so even that is gonna change. Lots of rumors with no details but I feel like there's some credence to the chatter.

Turns out government regulation works! It's gonna be terrible, malicious apps are gonna be an everyday hazard, but it's what the people want!

I saw that too and I really loving hope it doesn’t happen.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hatty posted:

I'd be in the same camp but I have around 25 people I message regularly in Europe and Australia and WhatsApp is the only way to easily do so.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone else having an issue where if you go to a photo album and Play Memory Video, no matter what song you try to pick for the video it’ll just go back to playing the same bland acoustic guitar thing?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Staying green https://9to5mac.com/2023/11/16/apple-confirms-rcs-messages-will-have-green-bubbles/

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Jose Oquendo posted:

I saw that too and I really loving hope it doesn’t happen.

What would the downside be? You never have to sideload anything if you don't want to.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lmao best outcome.

Anyway I had a really weird thing today where all my island stuff was appearing on the right side of the screen instead of at the top. Rebooting fixed it but it was still an odd thing to see.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

njsykora posted:

Lmao best outcome.

Anyway I had a really weird thing today where all my island stuff was appearing on the right side of the screen instead of at the top. Rebooting fixed it but it was still an odd thing to see.

This is normal when you’re in landscape mode

Were you stuck in landscape mode?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

This is normal when you’re in landscape mode

Were you stuck in landscape mode?

Possibly? But I'm only ever in landscape when I'm watching videos. I wasn't stuck in it that I could tell, everything still looked and worked normally outside the island.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

It should have been a puke yellow color.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s that time of year (Black Friday) when there sometimes are discounts on iTunes gift cards, although I think I’ve been seeing them less and less.

Anyone know of any discounts next week for iTunes gift cards?

Ever since they became general Apple gift cards and can be used on hardware purchases there have not been any discounts on the cards themselves anymore. The best you can get is getting an extra gift card for the store you bought it from.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s that time of year (Black Friday) when there sometimes are discounts on iTunes gift cards, although I think I’ve been seeing them less and less.

Anyone know of any discounts next week for iTunes gift cards?

Target will have a $15 Target gift card with $100 Apple gift card purchase.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Original_Z posted:

Ever since they became general Apple gift cards and can be used on hardware purchases there have not been any discounts on the cards themselves anymore. The best you can get is getting an extra gift card for the store you bought it from.

You can use the Amazon prime CC to buy e-cards on Amazon and get 5% cash back. It’s not much, but it’s better than nothing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Magic Underwear posted:

What would the downside be? You never have to sideload anything if you don't want to.
Yeah, I don’t understand all that fighting to keep the walled garden closed down. Up until now, everyone’s just repeating Apple’s insincere rhetoric. Don’t sideload and that’s it.

Also, it’ll be very likely country/EU specific. Apple added a service to iOS for geo-locked functionality.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
The only argument I can see against sideloading would be that it could increase the risk that some exploit in an unrelated app could somehow result in other malware being installed via the sideloading feature.
But if they require you to first flip a switch to enable sideloading before being able to install an alternate App Store then that should hopefully keep things as is for the most part.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

beuges posted:

The only argument I can see against sideloading would be that it could increase the risk that some exploit in an unrelated app could somehow result in other malware being installed via the sideloading feature.
But if they require you to first flip a switch to enable sideloading before being able to install an alternate App Store then that should hopefully keep things as is for the most part.

The main threat I can see is if some apps only release on the sideload store, and then an entity requires users to install them. Examples could include work or school MDM [or tracking] apps.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Quackles posted:

The main threat I can see is if some apps only release on the sideload store, and then an entity requires users to install them. Examples could include work or school MDM [or tracking] apps.

They 100% will to get out of Apple's 30% cut.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

They 100% will to get out of Apple's 30% cut.

On one hand I fear this exact scenario but on the other I don't see it happen often in Android. Most likely because only 10% of Android users sideload. Most I have seen is the Samsung App store and people mostly use Good Lock from it (which is free) and that's it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

On one hand I fear this exact scenario but on the other I don't see it happen often in Android. Most likely because only 10% of Android users sideload. Most I have seen is the Samsung App store and people mostly use Good Lock from it (which is free) and that's it.

Only 10% sideload? Piracy is rampant on Android - for profit apps don’t make any money compared to iOS.

Of course there will be positives to allowing side loading, but if I primarily developed non-free apps on the iOS App Store, I’d be deeply concerned about sideloading being opened up, especially if I have backend server costs.

I’m also not looking forward to the inevitable call from my mom when some nefarious actor managed to install a bunch of fake versions of apps.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 17, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Target will have a $15 Target gift card with $100 Apple gift card purchase.

Yeah, this is what it has been for a while for sure. I’m fine with it and would buy a $100 card for a $15 gift card for target , Amazon, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sideloading will likely be an option that has to be explicitly turned on in settings and never will be on by default, protecting the overwhelming majority of users. This is how it was on Android a few years back and I assume still is. Everything else will continue to go through the store where there shouldn't be any changes to the security of those apps.

So if you turn it on, then you are responsible for what happens. Apple will likely do something like they do on Mac where for EACH new sideloaded app you have to explicitly authorize it also. So no secret behind the scenes code running, unless it comes later from the sideloaded app you allowed.