Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sometimes ryokans that see a lot of foreign visitors will have larger yukatas, but a larger size in Japan is still pretty small if you're a big ol goon. It's fine if you don't wear it. They may want you to wear slippers instead of going around in socks, though from personal experience if the biggest slippers they have are still hilariously tiny for your feet they will let you get away with socks. No bare feet, and no shoes of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I mean I lost a ton of weight this year but still not enough to not have to seek "special sizes" where I live so I wouldn't expect anything different in east Asia. Good to know it's fine not to wear it, but I'm seriously considering buying one since it would be a neat keepsake. Maybe I dunno, like lots of things for this trip I haven't decided much yet :confused:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's good to wear something under the yukata, believe me, when you're sitting cross legged on tatami there will be impossibilities of fabric and specific lines of sight

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

peanut posted:

It's good to wear something under the yukata, believe me, when you're sitting cross legged on tatami there will be impossibilities of fabric and specific lines of sight

Seiza or go home.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
If I seiza I’ll need to find a knee replacement the next day

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I know that in Kinosaki the place that rents and sells yukata carried lots of different sizes, as mentioned though they probably encounter enough foreign tourists that they decided it was good to carry larger ones.

Perhaps if there is a rental/seller shop in the place you are going they also do the same?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I got on an ANA domestic flight from Haneda to Fukuoka and holy poo poo those econ seats are small. I'm a big goon, and regular economy seats are normally fine but those had me squished for 2 hours jesus.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Revitalized posted:

I got on an ANA domestic flight from Haneda to Fukuoka and holy poo poo those econ seats are small. I'm a big goon, and regular economy seats are normally fine but those had me squished for 2 hours jesus.

Enjoy FUK!

I don’t think I have any real recs to share that’d appeal to a tourist, although there’s a strip of p decent recycle shops across the street from Costco. Getting out there by public transport is basically impossible though IIRC. A friend and I walked from the nearest train station one time and it was… an adventure.

There also is/was a sixth grade classroom izakaya somewhere but we never got around to going. One of my biggest regrets from living 3 years in Kyushu!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

What about weather in june? I am hoping to go near the start of June, haven't booked yet, but is it usually before the big heat?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Depending on what you're used to, the "big heat" could be between May and October.

Also it's gonna raaaain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

roomtone posted:

What about weather in june? I am hoping to go near the start of June, haven't booked yet, but is it usually before the big heat?

Usually that is the rainy season and it's hot but not the super brutal legendary Japan hot that happens afterward, but it will be raining literally the entire time so, humid even by Japan standards.

I think there have been a couple recent years where rainy season didn't happen though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

so june maybe not a good time

i have to fit it around college semesters otherwise i'd just aim for the obvious april or october time. maybe i can do that anyway.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
There was a p cool write up on Reddit recently of a guy who told a taxi driver “omakase” in a not-touristy area and got a great tour/experience. I kinda wanna try it next time.

roomtone posted:

so june maybe not a good time

i have to fit it around college semesters otherwise i'd just aim for the obvious april or october time. maybe i can do that anyway.

Spring break? I only had MW classes so skipped one of each and made it a two week holiday my first year.

I guess it depends how much stuff you wanna do in June is outdoors. It is rainy, but it’s not like the whole country is shut down.

I am aiming for June/July personally, bring on the rain and heat baby.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're stuck with summer I would take June over July or August. The rainy season rain isn't like typhoons all day long, it's more that there's a drizzle going on 24/7 and occasionally it gets stronger.

Though if you have a decent chunk off off in December/January I would go then instead for sure. Fewer tourists, pleasant weather. It's only cold/snowy a fair bit north of Tokyo, or if you head over to the Sea of Japan side of the central mountains. If you're on the Pacific side it's 5-10C, sunny, and dry most of the time.

E: Hokkaido isn't too bad in summer, that's another option. Unless you're just sticking around Sapporo you'd want to seriously look into renting a car though, not a lot of train service.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 18, 2023

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

June is when it starts to suck mega rear end, and December is firmly into "grey dry depressing winter" season

I would probably only ever advise someone to visit in March or November. That's it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My trip was the first half of February and when we went to the Eastern Imperial Palace gardens, there were plenty of things in bloom. Outside of that there were also things blossoming so it wasn't exactly dull and gray. The weather was chilly especially when it got windy, yeah, but that's February in most places I've lived. It actually snowed in Tokyo the day we left for Kyoto, though. That and a particularly gross cold/rainy day in Kyoto were the worst.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Go at the end of July and come to Fuji Rock.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ll be flying in December 2nd and leaving two weeks later. I’ll be doing Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo. I’m expecting cold, but not freezing. Gray skies, but very little rain. Is this about right?

I would’ve done November, but that’s basically impossible work wise for both my wife and I. And last time I went in October in 2019, it was great until Tokyo got hit with the worst typhoon in 50 years, cutting out trip short.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
We've got our hotels set for Japan next summer so now it's down to just figuring out what we wanna do/when we wanna do it~

Flying in on July 9th to Haneda, landing the 10th. Then we'll stay in Kamata til the 16th before heading to Numazu for 2 days. Then back to Kamata on the 18th before returning on the 22nd. Then we're stuck in Chicago for a night but that'll give us time to decompress a bit and get used to US timezone again.

I think we might try to hit up Enoshima on the way back from Numazu since it's kind of a side jaunt but we can hop back up to Kamata from there.

Are there any interesting spots related to youkai that y'all know of in the Tokyo era that aren't crazy out of the way? I know there's the Kappa-dera one..

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 19, 2023

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Beer at the Hobgoblin in Roppongi is hilariously expensive — ¥1000 lol.

Went to Nakano Broadway earlier… so much Mandarake. And yet not one place selling models of a ST205 Celica or JZZ30 Soarer, but was a neat wander.

But, it’s showing the race so can’t complain too much. Any other Tokyo goons watching?

E: I should go look at the LAN thread (if one), oops.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's the same people in both threads, this one is more active.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Does anyone have experience staying at a high end ryokan like a Takefue?

We’re considering. I’m balking a little at the price. My starting point was “outdoor mixed gender onsen” so a ryokan where you can reserve time at a private one seems like a good bet for that?

We’ve done onsen (small local ones and Spa World) and we’ve stayed at a (nice but not as $$$) ryokan and the experiences were amazing - other than we can’t enjoy public onsen together. So I think we would love this. The cost, though. :ohdear: Is it worth it? Am I missing a better option?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

movax posted:

Beer at the Hobgoblin in Roppongi is hilariously expensive — ¥1000 lol.

It is both Hobgoblin and in Roppongi, that’s just the cost of doing business in that part of town. And I’m watching from home.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

kaom posted:

Does anyone have experience staying at a high end ryokan like a Takefue?

We’re considering. I’m balking a little at the price. My starting point was “outdoor mixed gender onsen” so a ryokan where you can reserve time at a private one seems like a good bet for that?

We’ve done onsen (small local ones and Spa World) and we’ve stayed at a (nice but not as $$$) ryokan and the experiences were amazing - other than we can’t enjoy public onsen together. So I think we would love this. The cost, though. :ohdear: Is it worth it? Am I missing a better option?

Not stayed here, but at this price point it would be pretty weird for any room to NOT have a private onsen attached, usable for the entire duration of your stay.

The phrase to look for is 露天風呂付 instead of 家族風呂...
The latter is as you say private time booked in a common smaller bath.

For outdoor mixed gender public onsen that's called 混浴露天風呂 and it often requires everyone to wear "manner towels" for obvious reasons. Very different experience from private time with your partner.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We did a $$$ one in Kyoto (definitely focused towards Westerners) at $700 total and a more modest one in Matsushima run by a very sweet couple, which we caught on a super discount at $100 for both of us.. TBH I preferred the smaller, family run one, and we still had our own private bath. I just don't think it's worth it after a certain price point. Also the family run one had way more comfortable futons.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 19, 2023

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Stay in the ones that have modern beds. "Oh no it's not authentic." Stop pretending you're comfortable and just be comfortable!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Unironically that

Not sure why some tourists are desperate to be intentionally uncomfortable in the pursuit of some half-baked historical roleplay or something

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’m sorry I’m actually a weirdo who likes sleeping as low to the ground as possible. (I’ll still probably book a modern bed for my partner’s sake, given the choice.)

I’m learning there’s wide variety in ryokan services - the small family-run one I’ve stayed at only had shared bathing facilities. The more expensive one had a private bath in our room and shared (gender-separated) facilities outside, although the women’s were covered with a fake cave roof which sucked because one of us missed out on “onsen in full winter storm” action this way. I get that it’s to prevent voyeurism. :sigh:

zmcnulty posted:

Not stayed here, but at this price point it would be pretty weird for any room to NOT have a private onsen attached, usable for the entire duration of your stay.

The phrase to look for is 露天風呂付 instead of 家族風呂...
The latter is as you say private time booked in a common smaller bath.

For outdoor mixed gender public onsen that's called 混浴露天風呂 and it often requires everyone to wear "manner towels" for obvious reasons. Very different experience from private time with your partner.

Thank you for the search terms! I’m not really opposed to public as long as it’s not crowded or noisy but I can check out reviews for that. :)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Gonna disagree about futons solely because it will probably limit the choices too much. Searching jalan real quick for ryokan in Hida Takayama gives 37 results, but if you add a filter for ones with any Western or hybrid room type, it drops you down to 18.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Futons are not inherently bad. I strongly prefer firm mattresses and get back pain from ultra soft hotel beds, but a good quality futon on a proper tatami floor is just about ideal for me. On the other hand, yes, a poo poo futon or on a hard floor is is pain.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The futons at nice ryokan are super thick and fluffy, not the ancient flat ones you get at your inlaws’ house or whatever.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We had the super thick and fluffy at the cheaper ryokan and it was the best. I hate hard mattresses to the point I travel with my own blow up camping pad to hedge against bad beds and didn’t have to use it that night.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The pillows across Japan I would also put at universally bad, no matter the price point.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

LyonsLions posted:

The futons at nice ryokan are super thick and fluffy, not the ancient flat ones you get at your inlaws’ house or whatever.

The ones you get for hard/Japanese sleeper class on the overnight ferries are little better than beach towels.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
To be fair, the bunk beds on the ferry are just as hard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The ferry bed I had was basically a slab of concrete, couldn't sleep at all. Don't think I'll be doing that again.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

go_banana posted:

I am visiting Japan for my third time, and my soon to be wife’s second time (honeymoon). Very rough outline is below, happy to hear constructive criticism :)

We fly into HND at 8pm on 28/11, and depart HND 8am on 14/12.

Things we have: 14-day rail pass

Things we don’t have: everything else.

On our previous trip we stayed in Kyoto 5 nights, with a side trip to Hirsohima, Takayama for 2 nights, Kanazawa for 3 nights, Nagano for 1 night and Tokyo for the remaining 4 – 5 nights.

Things we want to see:
Super Nintendo World & Studio Ghibli – we haven’t been to Osaka so I am thinking basing ourselves here for these two venues plus a day or two in Osaka itself?
Mt Koya (overnight if needed otherwise day trip from Osaka)
Nakasendo Trail - Magome and Tsumago
Yokohama & Kamakura (probably day trips from Tokyo)

What we enjoy:
We have already seen lots of temples. We really enjoy the outdoors and shorter hikes / nature walks.
Cool lesser visited places of Tokyo, Shimokitazawa was fun last time and we’ll definitely have a day of thrift shopping. Any suggestions for similar in Osaka?
Onsens, private however as my wife has extensive tattoos

This leaves us some time to spare (maybe?). After some research it seems Kysuhu gets the nod over Hokkaido this time of year – Kysuhu will be warmer and Hokkaido will be cold but without the snow. We are open to suggestions for Hokkaido instead, or other places entirely (Niigata, Sendai and Aomori maybe? Or Shikoku Island and Kobe?). For Kyushu, Nagasaki is on the list, not really sure where else, maybe Kagoshima but it seems like a bit of a train ride for only 1 or 2 nights. A rough outline is as follows however I understand we are trying to cram in quite a bit and may have to cull options:
  • 28/11 > Fly into Tokyo @ 8pm. Question – will it be too late to jump on the Shinkansen to Osaka? There is a shinkansen for 9.30 but unsure how long it'll take to jump through customs and get to the departing station.
  • 28 or 29/11 > Osaka and explore
  • 30 > Super Nintendo World
  • 1/12 > Kyoto day trip (a final few places we haven’t been? Alternatively, happy to skip this step)
  • 2/12 > Studio Ghibli (this may have to be re-arranged depending on tickets)
  • 3/12 > Mt Koya
  • 4/12> Osaka to Nagasaki
  • 5/12 > Nagasaki
  • 6/12 > Kagoshima
  • 7 – 9 > unsure, Takayama was nice and we wouldn’t mind going back, quite a distance however. Can anyone suggest anything similar?
  • 10 – 14/12 > Tokyo, incl. day trips to Kamakura and Yokohama and maybe Nikko?

Thanks,

Made the above post earlier, got some helpful suggestions. So helpful that it sent me into frantic research into Kyushu vs Shikoku. Finally after a week of researching I decided its better to take it slow rather than try and see everything. There is 3 nights between post towns - Tokyo we could head back, but it might be easier to continue through the Kiso Valley. We've also been able to extend our stay for 3 nights, so now leave HND on 17/12.

28/11 - Stay near Shinagawa Station
29/11 - Shinagawa to Osaka
30/11 - Universal Studios Osaka
1/12 - Mt Koya, perhaps leave main luggage at Osaka station and stay there overnight?
2/12 - Mt Koya to Fukuoka
3/12 - Fukuoka
4/12 - Fukuoka to Nagasaki
5/12 Nagasaki
6/12 Nagasaki to Nagoya
7/12 - Studio Ghibli (one of the last remaining days, would have preferred earlier or later in the trip but ah well)
8/12 - Post Towns, Magome to Tsumago , maybe stay there or Nakatsugawa
9 /12
10/12
11/12
12/12 Tokyo
13/12 Tokyo
14/12 Tokyo
15/12 Tokyo
16/12 Tokyo
17/12 HND to SYD

We have 3 days between the post towns and Tokyo. I was really keen on Shikoku but I am unsure if it is worth doubling-back for 3 nights only. Otherwise, we are near the Kiso Valley - any suggestions for 3 nights? Outdoors, romantic, off the beaten track. Happy to travel anywhere else in the surrounding area too. We've been to Takayama before, and spent 1 night in Nagano to see the snow monkeys last time.

I'm also unsure whether its worth stopping at Osaka or changing the route entirely that we start at Nagasaki and get the 7 hour train ride out of the way up front and make our way back up, any advice?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

No soap is still pretty normal. I bring a little empty squeeze bottle and fill it up with some hotel room soap, keep that with me.

Just be sure the squeeze bottle is working properly before you accidentally blow it up all over yourself in a train station bathroom and have to rinse your clothes in the sink ten minutes before meeting Peanut for dinner.

Don't bother packing wet wipes, every conbini has packs of regular and alcohol ones.

Is there some specific term one should look for when it comes to buying alcohol wet wipes? I like to keep around some just in case and airlines tend to be rather negative about letting you bring potential flammables along.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bofast posted:

Is there some specific term one should look for when it comes to buying alcohol wet wipes? I like to keep around some just in case and airlines tend to be rather negative about letting you bring potential flammables along.

It will say alcohol on the package. IIRC the Family Mart ones have it in English or look for アルコール. Airlines also do not care if you bring alcohol wipes on the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaom posted:

Yeah fair, I wasn’t expecting psychic knowledge more “what does it look like right now?” We’re paying for the flights with points so we need to decide super early.

Just in case it helps, here's what it looked like for me around the first few days of November in 2022.
Somewhere between Tokyo and Sendai:

A bit northeast of Sapporo:

Kobe: