Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Or maybe we just stop driving cars altogether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The next great global humanitarian project to compete with the Marshall Plan should be to provide automatic cars to the rest of the world.

Sorry rest of the world, but technology has improved and there is no need for manual transmissions except for weird nostalgia purposes or boomer ideas about how something has to be more difficult to make it worth it.

nah just take everyone cars away and let them ride the bus/train/metro/bikes

cant have a argument about automatic vs manual when there are no cars

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:argh: bonhair

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BonHair posted:

Or maybe we just stop driving cars altogether?

What is Vin Diesel supposed to do for his livelihood? He has children.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Vin is Danish for wine, so...

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

But as shown in his documental film series, Vin Diesel, being the sensible/boomer-brained economical driver, uses manual transmission to engine brake efficiently. By forcing the world to move to automatic transmission, you are in effect threatening his livelihood. Might as well go all the way and remove cars from equation totally.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BonHair posted:

Vin is Danish for wine, so...
Diesel in the wine? That is a very serious crime.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Go back to running a video game company. Tigon put out some Vin Diesel movie tie-in games in the 2000s that were decent but still far ahead of other movie tie-in games (The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena was especially dope), and then a Fast & Furious game in 2020 that sucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigon_Studios

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You mean he has a family?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

burnishedfume posted:

Go back to running a video game company. Tigon put out some Vin Diesel movie tie-in games in the 2000s that were decent but still far ahead of other movie tie-in games (The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena was especially dope), and then a Fast & Furious game in 2020 that sucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigon_Studios

Is the strategy with their upcoming game Barca BC to confuse FC Barcelona fans into buying it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

steinrokkan posted:

Is the strategy with their upcoming game Barca BC to confuse FC Barcelona fans into buying it?

:actually: the city of Bareclona and Hannibal Barca's family name may have a similar origin according to some theories on where the city got its name. https://web.archive.org/web/20140409161819/http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Barcelona

quote:

city in Spain, said to have been named for Carthaginian general Hamlicar Barca, who is supposed to have founded it 3c. B.C.E.

Worth noting though that as impressive as Hamiclar's campaigns were in Iberia, I don't think he ever quite made it there. The idea that Barcelona gets its name from either Barca is extremely unlikely

Translation: "Carthaginian presence before the first Punic War"/"Carthaginian conquest under Hamiclar Barca"/"Carthaginian conquest under Hannibal Barca between 220 and 219 BC"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The next great global humanitarian project to compete with the Marshall Plan should be to provide automatic cars to the rest of the world.

Sorry rest of the world, but technology has improved and there is no need for manual transmissions except for weird nostalgia purposes or boomer ideas about how something has to be more difficult to make it worth it.

This is why Norway is majority automatics. I’m kind of surprised it is already the case, must have happened in the past year or two.

Also people are cheap and manuals are usually one or two grand cheaper than an automatic, or at least that was the case last I looked. I almost always rent manuals because they’re usually half or two-thirds the price of an automatic, sometimes even for the same vehicle class.

What what I found truly bizarre was when I rented a little lovely hybrid Fiat (Panda?) and it was a manual transmission, which they must have had to go out of their way to add, at additional cost and engineering trouble. Semi-automatic transmissions are also bizarre; only ever rented one in Cyprus accidentally and I forget exactly what the deal was - I think no clutch but I still had to switch every gear myself? Not sure what the actual name of that transmission is.

I’ve also met people who can drive manual but are "afraid to drive automatic because they don’t know how it works" which is like… what. One of my wife’s colleagues said that when their office got an EV to share, and this girl still won’t drive it. I now mentally think of her as an 85 year old woman who has lived her entire life on a farm in the middle of nowhere. She’s like 30.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Saladman posted:

This is why Norway is majority automatics. I’m kind of surprised it is already the case, must have happened in the past year or two.

Also people are cheap and manuals are usually one or two grand cheaper than an automatic, or at least that was the case last I looked. I almost always rent manuals because they’re usually half or two-thirds the price of an automatic, sometimes even for the same vehicle class.

What what I found truly bizarre was when I rented a little lovely hybrid Fiat (Panda?) and it was a manual transmission, which they must have had to go out of their way to add, at additional cost and engineering trouble. Semi-automatic transmissions are also bizarre; only ever rented one in Cyprus accidentally and I forget exactly what the deal was - I think no clutch but I still had to switch every gear myself? Not sure what the actual name of that transmission is.

I’ve also met people who can drive manual but are "afraid to drive automatic because they don’t know how it works" which is like… what. One of my wife’s colleagues said that when their office got an EV to share, and this girl still won’t drive it. I now mentally think of her as an 85 year old woman who has lived her entire life on a farm in the middle of nowhere. She’s like 30.

Just tell her it is the exact same as a manual, except you can just not shift all the time.

Knowing how to drive a stick shift, but being afraid to drive an automatic is the strangest set of conditions to combine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

You mean he has a family?
It's all about the family.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It does feel kind of nice/fun to drive a manual, even if it's way less work to rely on an automatic transmission.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Nobody let AI see this thread, we'll never heard the end of it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EasilyConfused posted:

Nobody let AI see this thread, we'll never heard the end of it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i hate these clay goblins so much but the pictures are very funny

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Never forgetting when my best friend sent me like a ten paragraph text bc she gave some male classmates a ride from Wernigerode back to Halle on some school break, and they just mocked her constantly for driving an automatic

Despite you know, wanting car rides but not having a car between them

Allowing the continued existence of the german nation-state, twice was a mistake.

Either that or people who still think manual is better than automatic for anything except feeling COOL CAR GO VROOM VROOOOM are big dumb dumbs. And if you feel the latter then you are a car guy and therefore bad, fewer cars please.

Edgar out

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I have been to Germany. The onl6 fun thing to do there is to drive on the Autobahn. If youre not a car guy there, then what do you do, watch My Little Pony?

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Do people think that manual drivers are petrol sniffing and champagne sipping car elitists looking down on automatic drivers instead of people who just buy a cheaper car, or that they are using manual as a performative act where they pretend to be rally drivers going VROOM VROOM instead of just using economical things like engine braking not really any more complicated than using blinkers or following the general rules of traffic?

But now that automatics are economical too, and cheaper, I'll probably get automatic to my next car along with things like cruise control and parking sensor that my previous poo poo boxes haven't had. But that doesn't mean that using manual transmission or using rear view mirrors to reverse are some black magic that people use to pretend to be rally drivers. They were just things you did no different from other ways you use to control car. I guess things are different if people learn to use automatic first and car culture doesn't really have manuals?

Will someday people watch in fascination people who still drive their cars instead of letting it drive itself? 'Whoah, you can do that?!' 'Pffft, he's just pretending to be rally driver, no sane person would ever do so unbelievably complicated thing willingly as driving a car'.

And to be honest the latter people would be half right, rather take a bus.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593057/

Sorry your car is objectively worse, guy.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sorry your car is objectively worse, guy.

Not as sorry as I am, but I'll be getting rid of that shitbox soon so you can rest easy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alright grandpa, let's get you to bed.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Glah posted:

Will someday people watch in fascination people who still drive their cars instead of letting it drive itself? 'Whoah, you can do that?!' 'Pffft, he's just pretending to be rally driver, no sane person would ever do so unbelievably complicated thing willingly as driving a car'.

If automated cars ever actually happen and work as well as the tech knob slobbers say they will, then yes, people will say that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fascinating, please do go on

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
only car i wanna hear about in the maps thread has a population of 5.5 million people and is in the midst of a decade-long complex and heartbreaking civil war

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Are you content to tell the average German, "Sorry, but your collective punishment must continue for a few more decades until we reach peak EV.
I don't understand the german numbers here, to be honest.
I drive a Volkswagen with automatic transmission. Before that, my Mercedes also had automatic transmission.
The last time I drove manual was a FIAT in Italy and my student cars (FIAT and Peugeot).

This whole "driving manual" must a be thing of the poor, foreigners and vaterlandsverräter.

I really should give Victoria 3 another try.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 17, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Victoria just got a patch that seems to be really well received.

Also, I have never even owned a car, and never will.

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I have been to Germany. The onl6 fun thing to do there is to drive on the Autobahn. If youre not a car guy there, then what do you do, watch My Little Pony?

Germany has an extremely dense rail network and I pay 17€ per month for a pass that is valid in all regional transport in the entire country, including ferries and buses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Germany has an extremely dense rail network and I pay 17€ per month for a pass that is valid in all regional transport in the entire country, including ferries and buses.

Is it valid on fast trains?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7Ue9K3zN4

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I have issues with this map. For one thing I figure as with guns per capita, the US should win. I don’t have any stats, just going off vibes

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 17, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

colour scheme should be the other way around imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

distortion park posted:

:hmmyes:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

distortion park posted:

I got you:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have issues with this map. For one thing I figure as with guns per capita, the US should win. I don’t have any stats, just going off vibes
There might be some cultural differences here. The colour scheme is "cars per people" without defining neither "cars" nor "people". Some cultures might just not count carless adults as "people", thereby skewing their numbers.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 17, 2023

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

SUVs are not passenger cars map checks out

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

chadbear posted:

SUVs are not passenger cars map checks out

This was my thought, too.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You also have to keep in mind that the Americans have more people per capita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Saladman posted:

Thats why I learned how to drive stick. Friend was selling a 20 year old manual car for two month's wages after my car got smashed by an elderly lady turning when she felt like it.

After that car got stolen by a meth addict because it had the anti-theft measures you would expect from a 20 year old car that was bargain basement when new I got a used car from a lot for like 2/3rds the price I should have paid for the brand and miles just because it was a manual transmission with the misfortune of being in the United States