Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I mentioned wanting to make a Don Andres deck and have all the cards in Spanish. Thots on the list? It's just a first draft at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I don't think the original duals ever got a spanish release.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I'd be proxying those anyway.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Batterypowered7 posted:

I mentioned wanting to make a Don Andres deck and have all the cards in Spanish. Thots on the list? It's just a first draft at the moment.
Cunning Rhetoric is a fun one that I find helps a surprising amount with disincentivising attacks, and plays into Don Andres.
Other things to consider - Havengul Lich, See Double, Rod of Absorption.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I did a precon upgrade on the channel today with Don Andres at the helm. Cunning Rhetoric is ++ good.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How casual is Rhystic Study really? Like is it on the level of tutors, thoracle and original duals level of cEDH? I have a couple of them but I'm not sure if I wanna throw them in decks with random people at the store near me. and apparently its a loving ~$40 common now? If you're the only person playing one does it get people to gang up on you?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rhystic Study isn't actually that powerful but it does make people mad and gang up on you. Mystic Remora is what the true connoisseurs play, anyways.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

A Moose posted:

How casual is Rhystic Study really? Like is it on the level of tutors, thoracle and original duals level of cEDH? I have a couple of them but I'm not sure if I wanna throw them in decks with random people at the store near me. and apparently its a loving ~$40 common now? If you're the only person playing one does it get people to gang up on you?

People do get tired of you asking if they'd like to pay {1} but a lot of casuals will just not pay and you'll draw like four cards in one go-around.

E:

I want an anime one, but they're expensive. Same for Smothering Tithe.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon posted:

I did a precon upgrade on the channel today with Don Andres at the helm. Cunning Rhetoric is ++ good.

I've been enjoying the deck a day stuff Balon!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like Jimmy played a Don Andres deck on Game Knights: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/iRlM0ikuI0uZ0hQq-XVwEQ

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

A Moose posted:

Sort of depends on the deck. Like you want the Rhystic in a deck that will support its power level. I made the mistake of sticking that and Smothering Tithe in my otherwise very low-power dice-rolling deck. Unsurprisingly, I played one game and ended up with both of them out, so people ganged up and turned me to paste even though the deck couldn’t otherwise do a whole lot.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Rhystic Study isn't actually that powerful but it does make people mad and gang up on you. Mystic Remora is what the true connoisseurs play, anyways.

you just play both though?

and it very much is that powerful, the gameplay dynamics ensure that a table is pretty much never going to stay disciplined enough to deny you draws because the tax puts you so far behind, and it doesn't take many to make it Extremely Worth It

A Moose posted:

it's a very powerful card but it's fundamentally a draw engine that takes multiple turns to pay off, and "casual" EDH is full of such things (and entirely inconsistent/hypocritical about what "counts")

slapping one down early generally generates a massive advantage that puts you ahead and can put a target on your back, but it's "just" a draw engine so it'll scale with the power level of your deck - doing that is a great way to win in actual cEDH because it's getting you the tutors/pieces needed to play a protected thoracle (or w/e your win condition is), but it also might just be putting you ahead by drawing you huge piles of jank

so in conclusion I'd say it's just about exactly as casual as Sol Ring ;)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
My new favorite thing to do is to print proxies with the laserjet at work, because i realised that
a. Cardstock with the same thickness as MTG cards is easily available over the counter
b. The printer at work has no problems spitting out paper with that thickness and even printing double sided.
c. The quality is more than good enough, almost as good at MPC (though i need to cut the cards manually and they end up square)

The only issue i have is that after i cut the cards the edge sort of flares up
The card looks like this when viewed from the side (grossly exaggerated):
\_____________/

Like the edge is barely noticeable on one card but once i have a stack of 100 cards it gets quite pronounced.

Is this due to the type of knife i am using?
Do i need a thinner blade? Thicker blade? Sharper knife?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

My new favorite thing to do is to print proxies with the laserjet at work, because i realised that
a. Cardstock with the same thickness as MTG cards is easily available over the counter
b. The printer at work has no problems spitting out paper with that thickness and even printing double sided.
c. The quality is more than good enough, almost as good at MPC (though i need to cut the cards manually and they end up square)

The only issue i have is that after i cut the cards the edge sort of flares up
The card looks like this when viewed from the side (grossly exaggerated):
\_____________/

Like the edge is barely noticeable on one card but once i have a stack of 100 cards it gets quite pronounced.

Is this due to the type of knife i am using?
Do i need a thinner blade? Thicker blade? Sharper knife?

You probably need one of these:

Paper Cutter, Paper Slicer with Safety Guard and Blade Lock, 12" Cut Length Guillotine Paper Cutter with 16 Sheet Capacity, Paper Cutters and Trimmers for Cardstock Cardboard Vinyl Crafts & Photo https://a.co/d/9rfX4ik

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Ineptitude posted:

You can get a 3mm radius corner cutter if this bothers you, they're like $10-15

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The odds of it ever leading to anything are incredibly, incredibly low but I probably would not do my counterfeiting at work.

I let China do it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

I've been enjoying the deck a day stuff Balon!

Hey thanks! 15 days through this 30 day marathon, I’ll close out the month with 35 pieces all together

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The odds of it ever leading to anything are incredibly, incredibly low but I probably would not do my counterfeiting at work.

I let China do it.

Getting into legal trouble over printing cards a gambling company doesn't want you to print makes for a great chapter in your memoirs.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I would be less concerned about the copyright issue and more so getting fired for misuse of company resources.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Finally got some games in after a couple weeks off. Enchantress with Yenna, Redtooth Regent is still a lot of fun.

I'm having trouble with becoming the arch villain. Yenna can get one (or more) Smothering Tithes on the board, and/or voltrony suit up a couple creatures with a bunch of auras. But I scale up, draw a bunch of cards, then die to the whole table conspiring together to tear it all down.

Should I try to be going higher or lower? Like optimizing to the point where I can defend my triple smothering tithe from the rabble, or try to play a little slower and stay even with the other players until I can seal it?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Finally got some games in after a couple weeks off. Enchantress with Yenna, Redtooth Regent is still a lot of fun.

I'm having trouble with becoming the arch villain. Yenna can get one (or more) Smothering Tithes on the board, and/or voltrony suit up a couple creatures with a bunch of auras. But I scale up, draw a bunch of cards, then die to the whole table conspiring together to tear it all down.

Should I try to be going higher or lower? Like optimizing to the point where I can defend my triple smothering tithe from the rabble, or try to play a little slower and stay even with the other players until I can seal it?

I don't know what your deck looks like, but if you can consistently build a strong board state that eventually prompts your opponents to have to deal with it, try making room for cards that offer wide protection. Things like Privileged Position, which you can copy with Yenna to ensure that everything on your side has Hexproof, Teferi's Protection and Clever Concealment to dodge cards like Farewell and Austere Command, or Replenish, Second Sunrise, Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant, and Faith's Reward to help get your enchantments back on the battlefield. Hell, you can even disicentivise your opponents from touching your things with cards like Karmic Justice and Martyr's Bond.

You might also want to evaluate how you expect your deck to win and cut some of the value cards that are generically good but don't really help you advance your game plan. When your deck can win and how quickly you can win once you get there is also important.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I keep putting off trying to make an EDH deck that I bought a precon and will spruce that up.

I bought the naya Veloci-Ramp-Tor deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Sfri93aQZ0ayT5LlaUvv-w

I want to use this because dinosaurs.

I am still a little worried about upgrading it because I don't want it to turn out bad. Still doing research on what to use.

I did compile of list of card that I currently own that could be of use:

code:
Creatures

Dinosaurs on A Spaceship
Rampaging Raptor
Topiary Stomper
Realmwaker
Gorging Ceratops
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Titanoth Rex
Tyrranax Rex
The Tarrasque

Planeswalkers

Huatli, Dinosaur Knight

Enchantments

Exploration
Smothering Tithe
Felidar Retreat

Artifacts

Lightning Greaves
Conduit of Worlds
Swiftfoot Boots
The Great Henge
Hammer of Purphoros
Bow of Nylea

Instants

Abrade
Swords to Plowshares
Heroic Intervention
Akroma's Will

Sorceries
Green Sun's Twilight
Finale of Devastation

Lands

Scattered Groves
Brushland
Battlefield Forge
Copperline Gorge
Windsweapt Heath
Fabled Passage
Temple Garden
Inspiring Vantage
Grove of the Burnwillows
Sunpetal Grove
Fire-Lit Thicket
Jetmir's Garden
Boseiju, Who Endures
Sundown Pass
Selesnya Sanctuary
Beautiful Promenade
Opal Palace
Wooded Bastion
Branchloft Pathway//Boulderloft Pathway
Cragcrown Pathway//Timbercrown Pathway
Needleverge Pathway//Pillarverge Pathway
Nothing is set. This is just to show that 1.) I currently have these to insert into a deck; and 2.) If used, what to cut out.

I also have plenty of trade fodder and will hit up a LGS or shop to grab what I need.

I do apologize if this is a bitch much to ask. EDH is the only format I hardly play and would like to try it out.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Waffleopolis posted:

I keep putting off trying to make an EDH deck that I bought a precon and will spruce that up.
The Velcoiramptor deck seems pretty good out of the box, so i'd say first step is just sleeve up and play.
You've got a load of good cards for the deck though, so going through and picking the ones you've got that you really want to play, and taking out anything that does not spark joy... that's a good start!

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 17, 2023

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

MissMarple posted:

The Velcoiramptor deck seems pretty good out of the box, so i'd say first step is just sleeve up and play.
You've got a load of good cards for the deck though, so going through and picking the ones you've got that you really want to play, and taking out anything that does not spark joy... that's a good start!

That's a good idea. I can't play it until a couple of weeks from now due to illness but I'll give it a shot without any adjustments first.

I did also pick up a couple of other good cards including a Skullspore Nexus, Gishath, Hunting Velociraptor, and Stomping Grounds. I hope to fine-tune this.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

It's too difficult to get all the cards for Don Andres in Spanish and that's a bummer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Trying to find a commander for The Millennium Calendar shenanigans. Maybe Ramos or Falco Spara and go all in on counters?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Trying to find a commander for The Millennium Calendar shenanigans. Maybe Ramos or Falco Spara and go all in on counters?

The correct answer is Vorel of the Hull Clade. You're welcome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I pulled one of those in Arena today and was wondering how to make it work in standard but a commander deck around it with that Vorel sounds fun, use Sakashima and Blade of Shared Souls to triple double the Vorel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Okay yeah Vorel is jsut the best chocie if I go all in on the Calendar. I'm very tempted.

On the other hand I could make the Clanedar just one of my wincons and then Ramos or Falco open up a bunch of colors and also let me play Vorel in the 99.

...Vorel is still probably the best choice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Derevi 100%

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Derevi 100%

Ooooh gently caress, that's a good one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The War Doctor and some way to move counters

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finding a way to be red for All Will Be One

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If you want time counter shenanigans then the David Tennant Doctor Who precon is a good start

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I bought a box of Ixalan cause this set looks real cool and legit got 4 good cards. Not a single Ojer, good reprint, any of the good land flips, fuckin nothing

I'm fuckin done buying packs, this is just dogshit :mad:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Professor's been telling people to buy singles going on a decade now for a reason. Though I do understand the dopamine hit of cracking packs.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I just got excited cause the set has some great cards and I haven't cracked a pack in a long time, but this is legit the worst box I've ever bought

4 packs had the same 3 cards in a row in them. Back to back, same loving order order

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

My wife, then girlfriend, bought me two boxes of Innistrad back in the day and I pulled three Liliana of the Veil, three Snapcaster Mage, and two Cavern of Souls from the boxes. It felt great.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah but that can turn sour after exactly that sort of box experience. I don't get the hit anymore from cracking packs after a rash of stinkers combined with the "why even?" aspects. Getting a singles envelope or package from China however hits the spot, it's like every card is a winner besides weird shipping limit filler cards you added.

Draft is the good reason for packs and I'm glad I don't get the itch to crack packs anymore, I used to waste a draft round or 2 just randomly opening a pack because I have the box sitting there. This was especially bad since I started at Unfinity, even considering playable cards and a commander play group open to acorns, it's just a novelty goofy fin set to be played in person that cracking any packs was a waste even if I got a shock land in it ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Yeah but that can turn sour after exactly that sort of box experience. I don't get the hit anymore from cracking packs after a rash of stinkers combined with the "why even?" aspects. Getting a singles envelope or package from China however hits the spot, it's like every card is a winner besides weird shipping limit filler cards you added.

Draft is the good reason for packs and I'm glad I don't get the itch to crack packs anymore, I used to waste a draft round or 2 just randomly opening a pack because I have the box sitting there. This was especially bad since I started at Unfinity, even considering playable cards and a commander play group open to acorns, it's just a novelty goofy fin set to be played in person that cracking any packs was a waste even if I got a shock land in it ya know.

I wish I didn't like the Orbital Basics so much. It's fine when I'm proxying, but sometimes I want to put together a real deck and they're pricey. Same with the Unfinity Shocklands.