Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Listen, any non-Aussie (between 30 and 50) should watch this show.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7HSPnTFVAuFpsKEXoBp8Xqwh9tcl72Dt

Between this and my own experiences, I fell in love with this country's wilderness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9hh8tyTC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh. Oh ok. Ashfield NSW please and thank you.

I gotta do some more sourcing but I found a bit of stuff on the same site. Mostly from transport enthusiasts.

Ashfield Station, c-1900

Tram 1049 at Ashfield Station, Brown Street side. 1948

Ashfield rail siding, east end of Brown Street, next to station. 1970

Station Street, 1976

Ashfield town center, 1956

Kings Cinema, c-1960

Peek Frean Biscuit Factory, 1980

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I would also like to request:

Frankston, Vic. 3199

But also, it's only Frankston. So exert yourself too much.

Hm, are you missing Towerhill Pizza Hut or the Pancake Parlour stained glass?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Elissimpark posted:

Hm, are you missing Towerhill Pizza Hut or the Pancake Parlour stained glass?

What I miss most about the old Frankston was the cinema with the big crumpled up aluminium foil dome thing that was lit in such a way that it would change colours. My brother and I would stand under it enthralled as we would wait for whatever film we were seeing. Pretty much right next to the Pancake Parlour I think you are describing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Now that's something I haven't thought about in years. I can't even picture what would be there now.

Edit: lol, there's a Frankston Colour Dome Appreciation Society on Facebook. They tried to save it, but alas.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 17, 2023

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Peek Frean Biscuit Factory, 1980

I love that you can reliably judge someone’s age by what they call this building

it’s the hardwarehouse building dammit

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i never knew it was a biscuit factory, i just called it the clock building

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Spotted Danny Lim in Newtown yesterday so Sydney still has one good person in it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

webmeister posted:

I love that you can reliably judge someone’s age by what they call this building

For us in Perth it's the R&I Tower.

(X'ers Bond Corporation, Zoomers Bankwest, Alphas South32)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/QMTND9f.mp4

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

In Melbourne it's if you call it Southern Cross or Spencer St station

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

webmeister posted:

In Sydney it's what you call Accor Stadium (Stadium Australia, Sydney Olympic Stadium, Telstra Stadium, ANZ Stadium).

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

~Coxy posted:

For us in Perth it's the R&I Tower.

(X'ers Bond Corporation, Zoomers Bankwest, Alphas South32)

Ob city

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

"get out of my loving sun, two-foot"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
he makes himself flat

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

In Melbourne it's if you call it Southern Cross or Spencer St station

I miss Museum station. Much more mysterious and debonair than Melbourne Central.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

I miss Museum station. Much more mysterious and debonair than Melbourne Central.

Sydney has a Museum Station that was built 55 years before Melbourne's so you may as well let it have its own identity, and heck it's been 26 years since it was called Melbourne Central.

Mind you, calling it Central is a little confusing since it's a toss-up between Flinders/Spencer acting as a proper Central station. But they still both beat Sydney's one because there are many food options, whereas Sydney just has a weird void of much on any concourse besides a boomer bait cafe at one end and an overpriced greasy bain marie at the other end, with some basic poo poo outside at the Eddy Ave exit.

I remember the last time I went through Southern Cross I bought a bento box and a bunch of assorted churros for my train trip, while inside the ticketed area of the station (No station in Syd's CBD has this) and I'm still obsessing over that.

EDIT: Fucken train station churros. Sydney got nothin on this poo poo

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 23, 2023

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Also it's nowhere near the actual museum lol

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'll concede this point to Melbourne. That's pretty baller.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

GrandMaster posted:

Also it's nowhere near the actual museum lol

??
Musem station is underneath Hyde Park, which is opposite the Australian Museum? It's kinda annoying because the only exits are on the western side, but it's not exactly far away...

Sydney just has a weird void of much on any concourse besides a boomer bait cafe at one end and an overpriced greasy bain marie at the other end, with some basic poo poo outside at the Eddy Ave exit.

I remember the last time I went through Southern Cross I bought a bento box and a bunch of assorted churros for my train trip, while inside the ticketed area of the station (No station in Syd's CBD has this) and I'm still obsessing over that.

Mate you're lucky to even get bins on Sydney stations! Back in the early 00s some genius decided to remove all the station bins, you know, because al-Qaeda was definitely planning to blow them up

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sydney has a Museum Station that was built 55 years before Melbourne's so you may as well let it have its own identity, and heck it's been 26 years since it was called Melbourne Central.

Mind you, calling it Central is a little confusing since it's a toss-up between Flinders/Spencer acting as a proper Central station. But they still both beat Sydney's one because there are many food options, whereas Sydney just has a weird void of much on any concourse besides a boomer bait cafe at one end and an overpriced greasy bain marie at the other end, with some basic poo poo outside at the Eddy Ave exit.

Melbourne Central Station is under the Melbourne Central shopping center.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Geographic center of Melbourne is apparently currently Bourne Street, Glen Iris. So Glen Iris station should be Melbourne central.

Wrong again metro!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

These are confectionary themed dildos you can't change my mind. I'll be in Melbourne next year and I'm looking forward to stuffing myself with them.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

webmeister posted:

??

Mate you're lucky to even get bins on Sydney stations! Back in the early 00s some genius decided to remove all the station bins, you know, because al-Qaeda was definitely planning to blow them up

I remember, it sucked. Now we have these clear bins you can't fit anything bigger than your fist into.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

webmeister posted:

??
Musem station is underneath Hyde Park, which is opposite the Australian Museum? It's kinda annoying because the only exits are on the western side, but it's not exactly far away...

We were talking about Melbourne though

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

webmeister posted:

Even as a stupid kid I knew that was just a way to pay less cleaning staff.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Even as a stupid kid I knew that was just a way to pay less cleaning staff.

Wouldn't you have to pay more because now everyone just throws their poo poo wherever?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Wouldn't you have to pay more because now everyone just throws their poo poo wherever?

Yeah that's why they said a stupid kid not a smart kid.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

lol

Throw your rubbish on the ground at the station. The wind blows it off the platform onto the tracks. The station is now clean! For free! Bing bong simple

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

webmeister posted:

lol

Throw your rubbish on the ground at the station. The wind blows it off the platform onto the tracks. The station is now clean! For free! Bing bong simple

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
spencer st is the only privately owned station on the network, so they dgaf about anything, they're currently forcing all the shops to close by jacking the rents up and replacing them with vending machines.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
gently caress me, those underground shops we always great for loading up on sugar before a long train journey.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

drunkill posted:

spencer st is the only privately owned station on the network, so they dgaf about anything, they're currently forcing all the shops to close by jacking the rents up and replacing them with vending machines.

That's really fkn disappointing to hear...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Great lil vid I found on the rail freight facility in Darling Harbour in the 60s. A lot of shots of old Sydney around Ultimo and Pyrmont.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0izTlCTHJc

Screencap for interest

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Melbourne Central Station is under the Melbourne Central shopping center.

Which was a bit of a thing back when they named it. (Naming a train station after a privately owned shopping centre was frowned upon.)

Alternate names for it could have been Latrobe station, (it's on Latrobe St.), or Library Station, (it's right next to the library) but instead they kept with the plan of keeping the name of a shopping centre because ... reasons.

I still think changing the name of Spencer St. Station was pointless and stupid. I have old man opinions!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Whereas in Sydney, the main station was built on top of a cemetery. That's how it got the name - it's the dead centre of town :downsrim:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I hate working in Mortuary siding, it really is cursed, there's always incidents.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cossie Livs is a recurring character in a People Magazine skit about a chick called Liv who always has swimsuit malfunctions. It's got nothing to do with cost of living. This timeline sucks.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Kharnifex posted:

I hate working in Mortuary siding, it really is cursed, there's always incidents.

Elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

People loving up infrastructure. It's complicated spaghetti mess of tracks and switching points.

I worked there for the last six years on and off during the metro project and we found alot of old bodies.

We had this archaeology company there at all times to oversee digs, and they did a pop up museum from all the crap that was pulled out which was neat.

One day an excavator operator hit a sewer pipe in a dig pit the archaeologists were gently scraping and washing to find stuff. It filled with sewage and no one cleaned it until this dude who looked like Santa, from the archaeological company came and threatened to shut down the entire project, he went red with Christmas spirit shouting.

The shunters once showed me ratmans lair, at the end of platform 1/0, near mortuary siding. It had a mattress, cereal packets and rats with the heads cut etc as a warning to the others, the metro construction kind of chased him away. Lots of people still live in the abandoned tunnel between mortuary and ultimo, like a goods track.

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 28, 2023