Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Colonial Marines Technical Manual is possibly one of the cooler fluff books I know about and should be something more settings should emulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The mass of infantry might be the one thing that Starship Troopers doesn't get enough credit for. Every scene is full of soldiers in the background doing "stuff"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cooked Auto posted:

Colonial Marines Technical Manual is possibly one of the cooler fluff books I know about and should be something more settings should emulate.

You might say the common soldier needs some sort of uplifting primer

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You might say the common soldier needs some sort of uplifting primer

Although the CMTM isn't exactly written from an in character perspective.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What is even more wild is that they took the ship, only loaded it with half a platoon of guys and some extra business guys and sent them out there. I just read the entire fan wiki page on this and it turns out that the relatively small platoon is 25 members including leadership and dropship/tank crew. The squads are 4 members split between a gun team of 2 and a rifle team of 2 and an NCO. Two squads and slightly more senior NCO make up a unit. Two units and a LT. are a Platoon. So in this case they had half a platoon in units, but full strength HQ and vehicle crew. Which seems odd. It also seems odd that supposedly the ship could be staffed up to 90. So they could have brought a lot more guys with them. I guess it makes sense that they didn't, considering Burke was trying to get a specimen back and whatnot and too many people might make that hard to do/keep secret or whatever.

They still sound like they're on the same organization chart as Space Marines. But you could argue that the extra space on the ship is there if they were planning to evacuate some of the colonists from the planet. Not that it sounds like something an evil interplanetary corporation would do.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Weta workshop has a 1400 USD 1/6 scale Space Marine. Looks good, but pretty pricey! Non limited edition is *only* 1200.

https://www.wetanz.com/us/lieutenant-titus-limited-edition

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It even has light up LEDs

The product description only says light up helmet, so it would be pretty funny if this photo is staged and you don't get the rest of the glowy bits even at $1400.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Woops, forgot to include the shipping which seems to be, on average, about 200 bucks.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Sulaco was bad luck, the AI was too smart for its own good and tried to psyche out an antiship missile.

In its defense, it got rebuilt, unlike a decent chunk of the crew.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I kind of hate painting black and I'm gonna regret this down the line, but I've settled for a raven guard force (because they're so fukken cool) and I've cemented my commitment with this jetpack captain, who will soon have five leaping intercessors battle buddies

Are Raptors a no go?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

The product description only says light up helmet, so it would be pretty funny if this photo is staged and you don't get the rest of the glowy bits even at $1400.

YouTube hobby algorithm chasers all scrambling to be the first to buy this thing with Patreon money and paint it for content.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

The rest of the glowy bits appear to be lit by a red light off camera somewhere. So, yes, staging.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

YouTube hobby algorithm chasers all scrambling to be the first to buy this thing with Patreon money and paint it for content.

Please do not give Squidmar any ideas

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Seems that the 40k reveals tomorrow will be for Dark Angels, or at least partially, I guess confirming them as the first Q1 Codex. Pretty good timing for me as I'd like to play them and have been holding off on things like anything Ravenwing. Might help me decide if I actually open the Deathwing box I have here. I also want to convert some Lieutenants and stuff so having an idea of what the range will look like will help. Want to have a Combi Weapon Lt but the Leviathan one doesn't really have the right aesthetic.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can Orks run a proper Dread Waaagh list in 10th? I have no illusions about it being good, just curious if you can actually make a legal list out of it.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'm getting back into the hobby after giving it up in my twenties. I want to start up a Salamanders army which seemed pretty simple given that there was a boxed set not long ago and upgrade sprues. Well that boxed set is really rare and the upgrade sprues are sold out everywhere. Is it normal for GW to just not have stuff out of stock or are they killing off Salamanders and I didn't realize it? And before anybody says just check ebay, that's not sustainable if the actual stock out there is low.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Testikles posted:

I'm getting back into the hobby after giving it up in my twenties. I want to start up a Salamanders army which seemed pretty simple given that there was a boxed set not long ago and upgrade sprues. Well that boxed set is really rare and the upgrade sprues are sold out everywhere. Is it normal for GW to just not have stuff out of stock or are they killing off Salamanders and I didn't realize it? And before anybody says just check ebay, that's not sustainable if the actual stock out there is low.

GW has been having production issues since 2020 at least; It seems like at least 10-20% of their product is unavailable at any given time. They're definitely not killing off Salamanders.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Please do not give Squidmar any ideas

Squidmar was already Photoshopping himself at WETA accepting one as a gift from Henry Cavill for the video thumbnail the moment it was announced.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Testikles posted:

The holiday boxes don't seem to be things they produce too much of. In fact they might just be what is on hand that they want to move. Salamanders are not the most popular force, but their box set last year was a way to move intercessors. The Imperial Fist set, also not that popular, was mostly to move heavy intercessors. They don't really plan to make a lot of them, especially ones they know will sell very well like last year's Knights and Custodes box. So be safe that they are not killing that line. I don't think they will get their own book this edition though.

These space dragon decals may be close enough to work though : https://www.chaptercustomizer.com/collections/loyalist/products/space-dragons

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Black can look awesome for Marines! Here's my Dark Kraken terminator.

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 17, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What is even more wild is that they took the ship, only loaded it with half a platoon of guys and some extra business guys and sent them out there. I just read the entire fan wiki page on this and it turns out that the relatively small platoon is 25 members including leadership and dropship/tank crew. The squads are 4 members split between a gun team of 2 and a rifle team of 2 and an NCO. Two squads and slightly more senior NCO make up a unit. Two units and a LT. are a Platoon. So in this case they had half a platoon in units, but full strength HQ and vehicle crew. Which seems odd. It also seems odd that supposedly the ship could be staffed up to 90. So they could have brought a lot more guys with them. I guess it makes sense that they didn't, considering Burke was trying to get a specimen back and whatnot and too many people might make that hard to do/keep secret or whatever.

I believe it’s influenced by the Vietnam war, or least Vietnam-era war movies, in which administration and command was in oversupply and platoons were often deployed at half-strength.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

The mass of infantry might be the one thing that Starship Troopers doesn't get enough credit for. Every scene is full of soldiers in the background doing "stuff"

What really? I thought it was absolute nonsense, they just descend on the planet in a huge mob without any objectives or people in command, and run about aimlessly. Perhaps I should rewatch it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Can Orks run a proper Dread Waaagh list in 10th? I have no illusions about it being good, just curious if you can actually make a legal list out of it.

yes although you need a character of some kind, which can't be a dread.

killa kans are passable. they're admech-grade $:points and the models make them look much more fearsome than they are in practice, but as long as you don't take the grotzookas they're reasonably efficient all-rounders. they do suffer a bit in comparison to flash gitz or nobz but with rokkits and their naturally decent melee, they can actually bring enough pseudo -3 AP to menace anything in their weight class.

gorka/morkanauts are tragically overpriced compared to battlewagons and kill rigs. nothing wrong with the datasheets, they're just overpriced by like 75 pts each. they're also really reliant on being full of nobz to get their value so if you're going all dreads then they're even worse.

deff dreads are mediocre. 4 skorchas is a funny overwatch unit, 3 rokkits/skorchas and a claw is the least bad generalist option. the main problem is that dead choppy is a joke but none of its guns are particularly amazing either. this is a unit that is going to drift down in price until it's hilariously underpriced, gets spammed, then gets nerfed but it's not there yet.

megadreads and mekadreads are, again, overpriced and middling. they don't shoot hard enough or have enough attacks in melee to justify this kind of price tag. the mekadread isn't even a character so it can't lead your army.

stompas cost 800 points. comedy unit. only slightly more practical than a warhound titan. how is this model less practical than a gargantuan squiggoth?

Genghis Cohen posted:

What really? I thought it was absolute nonsense, they just descend on the planet in a huge mob without any objectives or people in command, and run about aimlessly. Perhaps I should rewatch it.

you remember correctly but the chaos you're remembering is created by the multilayered staging

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 17, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

OgreNoah posted:

Black can look awesome for Marines! Here's my Dark Kraken terminator.

I already decided the other week to do some Salamanders but drat that purple and black is tempting me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe I’m nostalgia poisoned but why is everyone today sold on picking a canon marine chapter and 90% it’s first founding?

When I last played it was 90% custom dudes. If you like purple and black but also Salamanders, idk, it’s the Obsidian Basilisks, sons of Vulkan from the 17th founding!!

Not criticizing the above poster specifically but I miss reading people’s custom dude fluff

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Maybe I’m nostalgia poisoned but why is everyone today sold on picking a canon marine chapter and 90% it’s first founding?

When I last played it was 90% custom dudes. If you like purple and black but also Salamanders, idk, it’s the Obsidian Basilisks, sons of Vulkan from the 17th founding!!

Not criticizing the above poster specifically but I miss reading people’s custom dude fluff

I can only speak for myself, but I do it because it anchors the stuff I am doing in the canon. And as I like the 40k universe, that's a big part of the hobby for me.

Sure, you can do your Dicklords of the Emprah custom chapter, your plastic dudesmen, your rules, but it does feel off to me. :shrug:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm very very very indecisive. I was gonna do a kind of weird scheme with grey armor and bright bands of orange or yellow for my marines, bit then I painted my Votanns like this

And I figured Salamanders would look cool next to them.

Picking colour schemes is hard, even with colour theory knowledge. Especially because my head keeps getting turned by gorgeous schemes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

#2 done! Decided to try a different metallic for the melta. Not completely happy with the results, but given it's a melta, it'll help it stand out from the rest of my army.

Also could have done the face slightly better, but right now more focused on getting good enough from a 'broad strokes' perspective.

Also, white paint is rear end, my friends, why did I choose this color scheme? Oh right, because it's an alpine regiment.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
White sucks! afaik there are nicer whites in other ranges but another approach is to use light grey and ony use your whites to highlight that.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Its very tempting to take advantage of all the special characters, decals, and upgrade sprues available for the 9 first founding chapters, and people just getting into the hobby can find it very daunting to try and do a lot of conversions.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Dark Krakens ARE a salamander successor chapter, lmao.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Shoehead posted:

White sucks! afaik there are nicer whites in other ranges but another approach is to use light grey and ony use your whites to highlight that.

You can do decent white with the GW range, but it's by spraying (and thinking about it I've not been using their sprays lately) and using Shade washes, maybe the Skeleton Hoard or Apothecary white contrast paints. But yeah the whites are a weakness of the line, bone is okay but my wraithbone pot is almost done and pretty chunky at this point so may look to other ranges for the replacement.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

GW has been having production issues since 2020 at least; It seems like at least 10-20% of their product is unavailable at any given time. They're definitely not killing off Salamanders.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The holiday boxes don't seem to be things they produce too much of. In fact they might just be what is on hand that they want to move. Salamanders are not the most popular force, but their box set last year was a way to move intercessors. The Imperial Fist set, also not that popular, was mostly to move heavy intercessors. They don't really plan to make a lot of them, especially ones they know will sell very well like last year's Knights and Custodes box. So be safe that they are not killing that line. I don't think they will get their own book this edition though.

These space dragon decals may be close enough to work though : https://www.chaptercustomizer.com/collections/loyalist/products/space-dragons

Good to hear on both accounts. I really didn't want to switch chapters or pay a huge premium on somebody's stockpile of bits. "Glad" it's just production problems, just gotta be patient.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

iospace posted:

#2 done! Decided to try a different metallic for the melta. Not completely happy with the results, but given it's a melta, it'll help it stand out from the rest of my army.

Also could have done the face slightly better, but right now more focused on getting good enough from a 'broad strokes' perspective.

Also, white paint is rear end, my friends, why did I choose this color scheme? Oh right, because it's an alpine regiment.

I think your scheme could really benefit from a contrast color. Nothing large, just like a touch of a brighter shade somewhere to balance the white and metal. Something like a red/blue indicator light or detail somewhere I think would make a big difference. There is also a dedicated painting thread if you want detailed critiques or specific help with something - but keep posting stuff here as well!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I basically come up with a background and scheme for all my different forces, maybe because I am from the prior generation. But I completely understand why some people are happy to get a force 'out of the box' as it were. Especially if you are new to the hobby, being able to just pick up an existing scheme and background and not have to worry about it is pretty nice. I know some of the schemes I came up with on my own were pretty trash, if you aren't someone who has previously dealt with it, making up a scheme can be challenging.

I think it's also affected by the way that the game handles special characters. In the old days they were more add-ons and you could extensively customize your own characters with weapons and wargear to suit whatever you liked. Over time that developed to where special characters were used to key army abilities or became more core aspects of a faction's gameplay. You can obviously just use them with a retitle and repaint, but it does lead people more into playing the canon factions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

You can do decent white with the GW range, but it's by spraying (and thinking about it I've not been using their sprays lately) and using Shade washes, maybe the Skeleton Hoard or Apothecary white contrast paints. But yeah the whites are a weakness of the line, bone is okay but my wraithbone pot is almost done and pretty chunky at this point so may look to other ranges for the replacement.

A white recipe that I found nice, and used for a White Scar Marine was Grey Seer (Base)/Corax White (Layer)/Darkenhof Nightshade (Recess shade)/White Scar highlight.
I think someone suggested in the last thread you could replace the Nightshade with something else as well.

Meanwhile my Wraithbone pot feels like it's almost only water, but it might also just have separated a little so I need to give it a stir and check.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Spoiler tagged for anyone watching the preview tonight:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My first army was Space Wolves, and I've always stuck to their canon appearance, but I did cook up a custom Great Company for them instead of the standard black wolf on yellow field for Ragnar Blackmane. For every other army I've dabbled in, I always come up with a custom background and color scheme -- most recently my Leagues of Votann army. Partly this is out of a desire for gameplay flexibility -- when the army tactics and abilities were more tied to what chapter/subfaction you were, it seemed more acceptable to have a custom chapter change its affiliation to whatever it needed to be for a given set of rules, rather than "oh hey I know these look like canon Ultramarines but I'm running them as a Blood Angels successor right now for the rules." But definitely also because I like coming up with my own colors and stories.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

xtothez posted:

not sure about those helmets

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

Imagine my surprise. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm doing a custom Blood Angels successor chapter that was a reluctant Second Founding chapter so they didn't move too far away from Baal and kept ties with the Blood Angels so that I can justify using the Epic Heroes without having to pretend they're the Thomas Rikers of Dante or Mephiston or whoever.