Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does anyone know of any blu-ray releases that are anaglyph 3D? I like watching those sometimes and I realized I've only ever seen DVD ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

codyclarke posted:

Does anyone know of any blu-ray releases that are anaglyph 3D? I like watching those sometimes and I realized I've only ever seen DVD ones.

3-D Film Archives has been doing both anaglyph and polarized on their projects for the last few years...

Flesh for Frankenstein (Vinegar Syndrome)
Silent Madness (Vinegar Syndrome)
Robot Monster (Bayview)
Dynasty (Kino Lorber)
Treasure of the Four Crowns (Kino Lorber)
Revenge of the Shogun Women (Kino Lorber)
The Diamond Wizard (Kino Lorber)
Prison Girls (Kino Lorber)
The Man Who Wasn't There (Kino Lorber) - Dec 12

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

3-D Film Archives has been doing both anaglyph and polarized on their projects for the last few years...

Flesh for Frankenstein (Vinegar Syndrome)
Silent Madness (Vinegar Syndrome)
Robot Monster (Bayview)
Dynasty (Kino Lorber)
Treasure of the Four Crowns (Kino Lorber)
Revenge of the Shogun Women (Kino Lorber)
The Diamond Wizard (Kino Lorber)
Prison Girls (Kino Lorber)
The Man Who Wasn't There (Kino Lorber) - Dec 12

Oh nice! For some reason I thought everything was polarized. Thank you!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
the running man has a red/blue release only, which i learned the hard way expecting frame packed 3d :(

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Running-Man-3D-Blu-ray/50390/

e: maybe skip it though, the internet says its an autoconversion and those are totally pointless

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 16, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1725167286036643931

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

the KL version is incredibly well done, wonder if this uses that transfer

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

codyclarke posted:

Brendan Fraser's Journey to the Center of the Earth included 3D glasses in the blu-ray set. I don't think they were standard red cyan ones though.

The recent Johnston Flood release has traditional 3D glasses in the box but it's not for the film. There is a special feature of a sideshow with pictures of the actual flood in 3D.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i think Friday the 13th Part 3 has an anaglyph option

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

the KL version is incredibly well done, wonder if this uses that transfer

Should be the exact same one.

Eureka would have been smart to just do an "Early Kubrick" box set with Fear and Desire, Killer's Kiss, and The Killing. Only would be a 3-disc set and would give people more of a reason to buy over the existing Kino discs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory just announced that Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie are going out of print by the end of December.

While I wouldn't panic just yet, it's worth noting that Kino Lorber, Indicator, Arrow, and Eureka have all lost the rights to Fox titles and are either OOP or will go OOP as soon as they're sold out. Criterion has been the only boutique that's still around and hasn't had to take any out of print just yet (though, it's possible they simply have a much longer licensing period than others).

Here's what I could find, in case anyone wanted to play it safe before they become scarce:

Ravenous
Lake Placid
Phantom of the Paradise
Tales from the Crypt (1972) / Vault of Horror (1973) [Metromedia library]
Fatso
The Omen Collection
The Fly Collection
Big Trouble in Little China

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ugh alright guess I gotta get that Fly Collection now

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I saw that Barton Fink was going out of print when I bought the Blu-Ray a few KL sales ago but I didn't put it together that it was happening to a lot of Fox movies. I guess this blows my hopes of getting a Criterion 4K release of it :smith:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Looks like I’m buying The Fly Collection (third time overall :() and Ravenous.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I saw that Barton Fink was going out of print when I bought the Blu-Ray a few KL sales ago but I didn't put it together that it was happening to a lot of Fox movies. I guess this blows my hopes of getting a Criterion 4K release of it :smith:

Barton Fink is owned by Universal outside North America, so there's at least a good chance of a great UK/French release.

Likewise, Naked Lunch is with Hanway Films outside North America and Arrow's 4K was licensed from them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Barton Fink is owned by Universal outside North America, so there's at least a good chance of a great UK/French release.

Likewise, Naked Lunch is with Hanway Films outside North America and Arrow's 4K was licensed from them.

Every single post you make, every single one, I sit here and say “how on earth does he know all this poo poo”

Like, you’ll make an off the cuff post and say something like “here’s the 27 specific movies from Arrow’s UK exclusive library that only had a single printing and are also 1.85:1 aspect ratio” or “the color timing on the German edition of this obscure movie from 1963 is off in the Kino Lorber, release, make sure you buy the Australian one instead” as if you know all this off the top of your head and just have the information at your fingertips and I am left in absolute awe of your knowledge and talents and I just want to drop to my knees and praise Christ Almighty that you take the time to impart your wisdom on us mere mortals in this thread on these dead gay forums.

No hyperbole, you are a mind-blowing genius savant on this poo poo, and if you are not being paid Real Money to be a professional cinema archivist/historian/preservationist then your talents are loving wasted.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Are the Severin Black Friday releases usually a mad rush with broken website poo poo and frustration or is that only for their sales?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The last couple of Severin sales have been buttery smooth, but I wouldn't be surprised if a title gets delayed and they don't say jack about it.

Have those dudes mentioned if any of the titles are Black Friday only?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
yeah they finally got the message lol

caligulamprey posted:

The last couple of Severin sales have been buttery smooth, but I wouldn't be surprised if a title gets delayed and they don't say jack about it.

Have those dudes mentioned if any of the titles are Black Friday only?

i dont think so

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Xenomrph posted:

Every single post you make, every single one, I sit here and say “how on earth does he know all this poo poo”

Like, you’ll make an off the cuff post and say something like “here’s the 27 specific movies from Arrow’s UK exclusive library that only had a single printing and are also 1.85:1 aspect ratio” or “the color timing on the German edition of this obscure movie from 1963 is off in the Kino Lorber, release, make sure you buy the Australian one instead” as if you know all this off the top of your head and just have the information at your fingertips and I am left in absolute awe of your knowledge and talents and I just want to drop to my knees and praise Christ Almighty that you take the time to impart your wisdom on us mere mortals in this thread on these dead gay forums.

No hyperbole, you are a mind-blowing genius savant on this poo poo, and if you are not being paid Real Money to be a professional cinema archivist/historian/preservationist then your talents are loving wasted.

We don't do emptyquotes on these dead gay forums but, loving same

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

we absolutely do empty quotes here

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6544419.p?skuId=6544419

Avatar Way of Water 4K Steelbook is hella cheap. Cheapest way to get WoW on 4K, I think.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CelticPredator posted:

we absolutely do empty quotes here

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone wants the Columbia Classics UHD Volume 3 box set, it's only $72 on Amazon right now:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9C847Z2/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=hometheate047-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B0B9C847Z2

Includes It Happened One Night, From Here to Eternity, The Last Picture Show, To Sir With Love, Annie, and As Good as It Gets.

Criterion just released the individual disc of The Last Picture Show, but the box set is the only way to see the theatrical cut.

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6544419.p?skuId=6544419

Avatar Way of Water 4K Steelbook is hella cheap. Cheapest way to get WoW on 4K, I think.

Because we're getting a more extensive special edition along with a bunch of other Cameron films

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout! Factory just announced that Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie are going out of print by the end of December.

While I wouldn't panic just yet, it's worth noting that Kino Lorber, Indicator, Arrow, and Eureka have all lost the rights to Fox titles and are either OOP or will go OOP as soon as they're sold out. Criterion has been the only boutique that's still around and hasn't had to take any out of print just yet (though, it's possible they simply have a much longer licensing period than others).

Here's what I could find, in case anyone wanted to play it safe before they become scarce:

Ravenous
Lake Placid
Phantom of the Paradise
Tales from the Crypt (1972) / Vault of Horror (1973) [Metromedia library]
Fatso
The Omen Collection
The Fly Collection
Big Trouble in Little China

I guess I should get big trouble, lake placid, and the fly collection; thanks for the list.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

:agreed:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i just assumed their job was something heavily involved in film distribution. even then, yea, their knowledge is nuts.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://diabolikdvd.com/product/messiah-of-evil-le-radiance-films-blu-ray-all-region-preorder/

Is this the copy of Messiah of Evil to get?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neither copy has the pop song opening so go with the the cheaper between the KL or Radiance releases. The Radiance is a newer transfer iirc so it'll look nicer if that's what your after.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Neither copy has the pop song opening so go with the the cheaper between the KL or Radiance releases. The Radiance is a newer transfer iirc so it'll look nicer if that's what your after.

ah cool alright.

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1725577023400091842?s=20
4K His Girl Friday... I'd like to own that.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

dorium posted:

ah cool alright.

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1725577023400091842?s=20
4K His Girl Friday... I'd like to own that.

These releases and boxes are definitely cool, but how in the hell am I supposed to fit them on my shelf

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

buy it and throw away the big box (or resell it on ebay to collectors, they're out there) and sell me His Girl Friday so you can save even more space.

https://x.com/klstudioclassic/status/1725568385461706762?s=46

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 17, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mac posted:

These releases and boxes are definitely cool, but how in the hell am I supposed to fit them on my shelf

One cool thing about those sets is that each film comes with it's own standard case with a nice slipcover. So you can just pull them out of the box and put them on the shelf as you would any other movie.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
gently caress! After how long Lawrence took, and that we’re still waiting on Taxi Driver… I will eventually pick up that set for Punch-Drunk Love alone. The rest will be nice but gently caress me I love PDL.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Now that I was pointed to the right thread because I'm a doofus...

I was reading a review of the Batman Begins UHD and came up on this:

quote:

The original version of this review incorrectly stated that this UHD was derived from the camera negative. That assertion was based on incorrect information supplied by Warner Brothers. It has now been confirmed from multiple sources that the 4K/HDR master was derived from an interpositive, at Christopher Nolan's express instruction and contrary to Warner's standard policy, which provides that 4K scans should utilize the existing element with the greatest resolution.

Why would Nolan, or any director for that matter, order them to not use the camera negative for the transfer?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is the 4K release of Dr Strangelove worth it for $12? The review for it on Blu-ray.com is super high. I’ve got the Criterion Blu-ray but I’ve got trouble figuring out what (if any) supplementals carry over between the Criterion blu and the 4K.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

it's good

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Now that I was pointed to the right thread because I'm a doofus...

I was reading a review of the Batman Begins UHD and came up on this:

Why would Nolan, or any director for that matter, order them to not use the camera negative for the transfer?

Probably something about the interpositive that's superior to the negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Cemetary man is going to be $55 according to severin. Not jazzed, they know people would go for a $25 standard without the cd and booklet so naturally that's not an option.