Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

AfO treated him like that, and considering the massive difference in power, he wasn't completely wrong to do so. The obvious way to refute it would be for Bakugo to finish AfO due to combination of his Quirk evolution and AfO not taking him seriously/being already quite spent, but instead we seem to have AfO being hampered by ghosts from his past again, which I feel is lot less satisfying.

the only clear plot shift is just that he's going back to targeting bakugo instead of shigaraki, taunting the big guy happens all the time. i assume AFO is gonna attack bakugo with the same force he did AM because of those demons

stuker fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Lizard posted:

AfO treated him like that, and considering the massive difference in power, he wasn't completely wrong to do so. The obvious way to refute it would be for Bakugo to finish AfO due to combination of his Quirk evolution and AfO not taking him seriously/being already quite spent, but instead we seem to have AfO being hampered by ghosts from his past again, which I feel is lot less satisfying.

It's AfO going "why does this kid piss me off so goddamned much? wait, gently caress, he looks a lot like this other rear end in a top hat who pissed me off a whole lot in the past! argh!". It's not being hampered by ghosts, it's that AfO has degenerated to a raging manbaby unable to control his emotions and being easily led around by the nose by anything that vaguely irritates him.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

It's AfO going "why does this kid piss me off so goddamned much? wait, gently caress, he looks a lot like this other rear end in a top hat who pissed me off a whole lot in the past! argh!". It's not being hampered by ghosts, it's that AfO has degenerated to a raging manbaby unable to control his emotions and being easily led around by the nose by anything that vaguely irritates him.

It's a metaphorical ghost from his past, as opposed to the literal ones earlier.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Staltran posted:

It's a metaphorical ghost from his past, as opposed to the literal ones earlier.

The presence of literal ghosts make all the metaphorical ghosts haunting some dude seem a lot like literal ghosts.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

New page, spoilers are done

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Scholtz posted:

imo posts like this are way more annoying than having to hover over text

agree overall on the idea of "tags aren't necessary a page after the ch link" and i'm admittedly guilty on this very page. but also i am not planning to confirm whether or not i am first post on a new page before using/not using spoiler tags, and i think sometimes spoiler tag usage will just flow from quotes

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 14, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think post-jeart Kacchan would be all for spoiler tags

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oh jay posted:

I think post-jeart Kacchan would be all for spoiler tags

No, he'd want to be hit with all the spoilers, the pain will make his explosions better.

...Thinking about it, Kacchan just got Ultra Ego, huh? Very fitting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Scholtz posted:

Shut up, bitch

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So is Bakugo's powerup that he has a better timing of when to do consecutive explosions so that he can go very, very fast?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Flair posted:

So is Bakugo's powerup that he has a better timing of when to do consecutive explosions so that he can go very, very fast?

No I'm pretty sure he's just doing explosions in his bloodstream, which as we all know makes you stronger.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Fanscans are out for 407

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7551/my-hero-academia-chapter-407?date=17-11-2023-8

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So AFO wasn't the glowing baby but he ate the glowing baby

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Not a big fan of "AFO was evil from birth" but I do think its a good twist that the Glowing Baby wasn't actually the first Quirk. He was only the first one to be recognised as having a Quirk and there were more like AFO's mom that just weren't as noticeable.

AFO losing his hand just like Shiggy's family is a cool parallel as well.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
This was pretty cool to the point that it feels like it's from a different manga entirely

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So AFO is the bad vibes kid

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Eggplant Squire posted:

So AFO wasn't the glowing baby but he ate the glowing baby

I'm not sure why "he was the glowing baby" became so prevalent, I assumed AFO was always his Quirk.

Anyway, nice to finally see his origin, loved the horror elements in the first half. Having a villain who simply has no sympathetic backstory or motivations is kind of refreshing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
lmao at the "evil sociopath since birth" twist.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was not expecting that. And im fine with it cuz good lord i would barf if AFO was given any sympathetic background.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m actually fine with AFO being an irredeemable rear end in a top hat from birth though I do wonder where he got the name “Shigaraki” from (apparently it was his to begin with before he passed it along to Tomura)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 17, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
"He was born an arrogant baby" lmao.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shindragon posted:

I was not expecting that. And im fine with it cuz good lord i would barf if AFO was given any sympathetic background.

I dunno, being born into the world with powers that are no fault of your own that everyone hates you for and you don't get to have a home or parents or anything approaching a normal life is fairly sympathetic, even if his decision was to be a shithead. He's still a monster but that origin is definitely pretty sympathetic.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The funny thing is that this would totally be a sympathetic backstory for anyone else. Mother dies during childbirth leaving the babies all alone to fend for themselves in a world that fears and hates them for having quirks. It's just that AfO was just an evil piece of poo poo right from birth.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I mean they gave him all the elements of a backstory that explained him, if not coming close to justifying him...and then just threw in actually he was evil from birth so none of that mattered.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Not a big fan of "AFO was evil from birth" but I do think its a good twist that the Glowing Baby wasn't actually the first Quirk. He was only the first one to be recognised as having a Quirk and there were more like AFO's mom that just weren't as noticeable.

I also think it's really funny that people were apparently just calling him "The Glowing Baby" even as an adult

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Did I read it wrong, or did they say that he stole the glowing baby's power, and that it was one for all?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

badjohny posted:

Did I read it wrong, or did they say that he stole the glowing baby's power, and that it was one for all?

He stole the glowing baby's quirk, but it's not One For All. He was just talking about his brother's comics when he was saying one for all and all for one. It's where he got the idea to start calling himself All For One

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Ahh, Donquixote Shigaraki. :v:

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Cool chapter

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kanos posted:

I dunno, being born into the world with powers that are no fault of your own that everyone hates you for and you don't get to have a home or parents or anything approaching a normal life is fairly sympathetic, even if his decision was to be a shithead. He's still a monster but that origin is definitely pretty sympathetic.

Yeah my strong reaction to AFO is mostly due to other manga where they go awww he wasn’t such a bad guy after all let’s forgive him (hyperbolic as hell but it felt that way.) and they have a death redemption/sympathy and just no. That being said I should give Hiroshiki some benefit of the doubt. I do find it funny he was just born evil like in a michael myers kind of way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I met this... six-year-old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and... the blackest eyes - the Devil's eyes.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Nuebot posted:

lmao at the "evil sociopath since birth" twist.

This is setup for guilt-free baby stomping.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Shindragon posted:

Yeah my strong reaction to AFO is mostly due to other manga where they go awww he wasn’t such a bad guy after all let’s forgive him (hyperbolic as hell but it felt that way.) and they have a death redemption/sympathy and just no. That being said I should give Hiroshiki some benefit of the doubt. I do find it funny he was just born evil like in a michael myers kind of way.

He was raised by rats who were trying to eat him. Yeah, he turned out lovely. It's weirder that One for All didn't.

OFA, Twice, Toga, Shigaraki, the manga's thesis is you get supervillains when kids don't have an adult who takes care of them.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mystic Mongol posted:

He was raised by rats who were trying to eat him. Yeah, he turned out lovely. It's weirder that One for All didn't.

It seems like OfA didn't because he mistook his brother's possessiveness as love, which is extra sad!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lamebot posted:

This is setup for guilt-free baby stomping.
Yeah this is to make sure everyone cheers when Bakugo fights a baby

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

raised by rats

Turtle power!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Not a big fan of "AFO was evil from birth"

most bad people irl really are just born that way

Casey Finnigan