Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Gave it a whirl, died a bunch on the tutorial boss. Me sucking aside, the very brief content I saw seemed less influenced and more copy & paste. I had a good laugh when the explanation for the starting classes just popped up a bunch of numbers, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Last Faith

Granted, I'm only at the first boss, but I'm having trouble adjusting myself to how few i-frames you seem to have with the roll - or at least it feels to me you don't have any! I kept trying to roll through the boss' rock attacks but always took a hit, so I resorted to just jumping over them. I dunno if it's a situation of the roll only having i-frames in the beginning, which means you have to be incredibly precise with it. Coming from Salt & Sacrifice where the fast roll is incredibly long and generous with i-frames this feels very clumsy, at least for now. Compared to other games of the genre, it feels like where you _should_ be safe during a roll, you are not. Definitely missing the ability to just roll through a boss...

Also feels very weird that there's no stamina limitations for attacks, but I guess bullets are the limitation at least for guns (I took the gunslinger as the starter class).

e: wondering if the enemy flashing before the attack has a deeper meaning than just a tell for a special attack, thinking I can interrupt him somehow or something

Lack of contact damage is a definite plus to Last Faith, though.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 16, 2023

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Serephina posted:

I had a good laugh when the explanation for the starting classes just popped up a bunch of numbers, drat.

I picked the brawler, and it started me with a sword that I didn't meet the DEX requirements for.

You get the interrupt after the first boss, and there are definitely common enemies with contact damage.

Edit: Any ideas what the Fate state does?

Fatty fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 16, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TeaJay posted:

re: Last Faith

Granted, I'm only at the first boss, but I'm having trouble adjusting myself to how few i-frames you seem to have with the roll - or at least it feels to me you don't have any! I kept trying to roll through the boss' rock attacks but always took a hit, so I resorted to just jumping over them. I dunno if it's a situation of the roll only having i-frames in the beginning, which means you have to be incredibly precise with it. Coming from Salt & Sacrifice where the fast roll is incredibly long and generous with i-frames this feels very clumsy, at least for now. Compared to other games of the genre, it feels like where you _should_ be safe during a roll, you are not. Definitely missing the ability to just roll through a boss...

Also feels very weird that there's no stamina limitations for attacks, but I guess bullets are the limitation at least for guns (I took the gunslinger as the starter class).

e: wondering if the enemy flashing before the attack has a deeper meaning than just a tell for a special attack, thinking I can interrupt him somehow or something

Lack of contact damage is a definite plus to Last Faith, though.

The roll had very generous iframes when I used it, but I started as the gunslinger so I dunno how big of a difference that makes, if theres some ADP fuckery going on where one of the stats boosts your iframes.

There are some attacks that its just better to jump, though. The first boss's shockwave attacks, especially the ones with long range, only hurt when they first come out of the ground. I had a much easier time when I got in his face and dodged through the forward slam by dodging through the boss, but the jump-slam I would back up and jump to avoid and land on the "spikes" well after they popped up from the ground, no damage. Its just tricky to also avoid the horizontal projectile in mid-air

Later on, the first major boss has a 45 degree divebomb attack that creates projectiles, and I found it easiest to dodge toward where the attack lands because the roll's iframes were so long that you would guaranteed dodge the projectiles. Ive found relatively fewer parry opportunities because the roll and jumping lets you totally bypass attacks well enough, but its still pretty good on mooks whenever youre exploring.

Fatty posted:

I picked the brawler, and it started me with a sword that I didn't meet the DEX requirements for.

You get the interrupt after the first boss, and there are definitely common enemies with contact damage.

Edit: Any ideas what the Fate state does?

No clue on Fate. I thought maybe it was the parry stat at first. Maybe it affects how quickly you build that bar back up with executions after using a parry?

I hit the first major crossroad/the first big gatekeeping ability last night and it seems like theres going to be 3 major paths + the final path, not including any potential side paths.

Pretty quickly after the first area you can find a STR weapon, i dont remember exactly where but it was behind a secret wall on the main path. It seems pretty powerful already, and I only had 9 STR so it wasnt even scaling with a stat yet and dealing twice as much damage :black101:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

bawk posted:

The roll had very generous iframes when I used it, but I started as the gunslinger so I dunno how big of a difference that makes, if theres some ADP fuckery going on where one of the stats boosts your iframes.

There are some attacks that its just better to jump, though. The first boss's shockwave attacks, especially the ones with long range, only hurt when they first come out of the ground. I had a much easier time when I got in his face and dodged through the forward slam by dodging through the boss, but the jump-slam I would back up and jump to avoid and land on the "spikes" well after they popped up from the ground, no damage. Its just tricky to also avoid the horizontal projectile in mid-air

Started as a marksman also, so maybe I'm just not that gud when it comes to rolling. But I definitely felt I simply could not get the timing down to roll through the first boss' rock shockwaves at all. I don't think I did it once. It was imperative to roll past him though, and I found getting in his face was the best strategy too.

I'm looking to find that gunblade myself. Or a better weapon in general. The problem here is when you don't actually know what weapons you're gonna find so you're afraid putting in points so you'd not waste them. I started with a lot of mind so I'd like to keep using guns, but the ammo system makes it so you'll still need another weapon. I've been rocking the starter sword and boosting some DEX as well as a few points in vitality as usual and mind to use the throwing weapon I found.

Just beat the second boss the twin gargoyles and unlike in some other games where it's the second boss, this one was really easy, much easier than the first boss. Although I didn't fight a boss in the city area so I'm thinking maybe I missed something there? Still thinking how I can help the person who says they're trapped inside the house, didn't seem to find any clear way in, perhaps it'll resolve later.

I really hope the parry won't be crucial later on because it feels so incredibly clunky to me. You have to be so close and again, compared to something like Blasphemous or S&S series the hitbox is tiny.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oh, to be clear, i dont think you can roll through the shockwave itself. You have to jump it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Totally gonna grab Last Faith eventually, but currently playing Afterimage and holy fuckballs this game is huge.

The initial zones are great and much better laid out and paced than Aeterna Noctis with really nice verticality and the way things connect being much more Metroid-y. Weapon options are cool and varied and the skilltree system is fine, though the magic seems mostly superfluous but I'm still not sure if you get more spells per book or what.

I totally was not expecting (mid game spoiler) random motherfucking boat system and oh hey here's this giant gently caress off overland map of a lake that you can now sail around, and the whole giant area you've been exploring is just one corner of it and here's 3 other massive gently caress off zones with even more poo poo in them.

This... is gonna take awhile. I'm still having a lot of fun exploring and the massive enemy and biome variety is great, and so far the bosses have been fine although kinda generic when cooking down off of 9 Years of Shadows.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

YOHANE THE PARHELION -BLAZE in the DEEPBLUE-

quote:

Yohane the Parhelion is an official spin-off of "Love Live! Sunshine". Yohane's fantasy world sets the stage for a 2D metroidvania in "Yohane the Parhelion: Blaze in the Deepblue"!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256973058/movie480_vp9.webm
97% out of 42. 10% launch discount.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

It's on ps5 too, apparently they're making a deck building 'rogue light' too.

I just grabbed Sandrock so I'm not looking to buy anything atm but I'd love to hear impressions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna get as soon as I have actual internet again :(

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Totally gonna grab Last Faith eventually, but currently playing Afterimage and holy fuckballs this game is huge.

The initial zones are great and much better laid out and paced than Aeterna Noctis with really nice verticality and the way things connect being much more Metroid-y. Weapon options are cool and varied and the skilltree system is fine, though the magic seems mostly superfluous but I'm still not sure if you get more spells per book or what.

I totally was not expecting (mid game spoiler) random motherfucking boat system and oh hey here's this giant gently caress off overland map of a lake that you can now sail around, and the whole giant area you've been exploring is just one corner of it and here's 3 other massive gently caress off zones with even more poo poo in them.

This... is gonna take awhile. I'm still having a lot of fun exploring and the massive enemy and biome variety is great, and so far the bosses have been fine although kinda generic when cooking down off of 9 Years of Shadows.

I fully expected to reach the lake in Afterimage and have it be a wet fart, what with there being that very early area thats just a short tower and the other area thats just one house

Boy was I wrong!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

from playing the Yohane demo, the vibes of it are nice but the Ender Lilies style combat is kinda terrible because you can only swing once at a time, no comboing. maybe later on this changes? but it was rough at the start

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Hermannis way too early of a boss to be having multiple phases.

e: He's not terribly hard, it's just tedious to go through the earlier form

When do I get a movement ability?? Feel like I should have one already. Also feel like I missed finding some new gear. This is the third boss and I still haven't found any upgrades.

e: lol, literally the next room

Bought the gunblade and the special feels so satisfying to use.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 16, 2023

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, that second phase really frustrated me the first time I reached it. I'm enjoying the game so far, but it definitely feels more annoying than difficult to me. I just found an enemy type that throws bombs, explodes on death, and often appears on small platforms, which are just a huge pain to deal with.

I agree with how satisfying the gun blade is to use, but I just found a strength weapon that seems wildly better than everything else I've found, so I almost want to spin up a strength character.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just realized you can press Y/Triangle and throw background objects

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Heres a tip for opening those shiny white doors all over the place. Buy the techno gloves for 10,000 from the weapon upgrade guy, then go to the bottom right of the blue city area where it meets the inquisition. You should make your money back pretty easily from the red chests.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm getting hard stuck on Edwyn, the Shadowscourge. (What kind of a name is that for a shadowscourge?) He always does cheap attacks like land on top of me which I cannot seem to dodge. The three purple balls attack is also tough to dodge when there's a tornado on the other side as well.

Actually not sure if this is an optional boss, since the Drowned crypt seems like it's a bit out of the way - unless you get a movement ability or something from this fight.

I made it a few times to the second phase. Seems like the best option is to load up on focus items and try to blast him with the gunblade's special. But when they are spent, that's that. His huge tornado in the 2nd phase seems impossible to dodge without taking damage, and I'm always out of healing by then.

But if that's not where to go, then I'm kinda stumped - I can't go to the High walls (Cathedral), there's a locked door and an altar that looks like I need a double jump. Then there's the ice zone, which is loving terrible with enemies throwing projectiles from off-screen and then running away (yes I'm watching you spiders) and it seems like it's definitely meant to be done later.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 17, 2023

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Its a required boss, as it gates the grappling hook. The huge tornado is avoidable by just running as far away as possible, it peters out.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Y'all are doing a lot of work tempting me to finally buy afterimage right after it's psn sale finished

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

FireWorksWell posted:

Y'all are doing a lot of work tempting me to finally buy afterimage right after it's psn sale finished

I picked it up and it's pretty good so far? It's definitely extremely large, and it's a little janky - the dialogue is just full of word salad fantasy bs where everyone replaces every third word with a random one - but overall it's pretty decent.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Story and dialogue isn't a priority for these kinds of games with me so that's not gonna bug me. I'm gonna pull the trigger next time it's on sale for sure.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat the Shadowscourge, toughest boss so far BY FAR. I still couldn't find a reliable way to avoid him falling down on top of me. Just tried to walk the other way he seemed to go and then roll for good measure. Didn't always work either.

e: first thing I did after beating that boss was to go to Annabelle and buy 200 of those healing injections

I also have Afterimage on my wishlist, but after this I'm probably going to want to play something else since going from Salt & Sacrifice to Last Faith is a lot of metroidvania. Gonna pick it up, though, since it seems good.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 18, 2023

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023
I've put about 6 hours into The Last Faith so far...it's good but I was hoping for more. Like I wasn't expecting Bloodstained or Hollow Knight levels here...but I was hoping for like Ender Lilies, Timespinner, or Blasphemous level.

My main complaints are the horrid choice for movement upgrade order, and the lack of even semi-decent signposting in terms of a rough zone order. I also can't say I'm a fan of how there are numerous places in several zones that the map implies are 1 continuous area, separated by screens...but which turn out to be just instant death if you try to drop down.

Like even now I'm not sure WTF to go. Like there's a random green zone I haven't touched, and also a hidden zone from the ice zone...but I've also cleared the icey village and half cleared the castle place full of ice enemies as well.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo the ice zones/enemies get way too much area/appearances. Just wild how testers played that and were like "yeah I'm cool with like half of my first 6 or 7 hours being in ice biomes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I currently have a choice between ice area or a poison swamp. talk about a rock and a hard place. The former had the most annoying projectile tossing enemies in recent memory.

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023

TeaJay posted:

I currently have a choice between ice area or a poison swamp. talk about a rock and a hard place. The former had the most annoying projectile tossing enemies in recent memory.

I believe that's where I'm at too...tho I've ice gone a bit beyond in that ice area. NGL, the tedium started to set in at that point.

Really started noticing the padded HP of enemies....and I'm running a STR build with a B scaling weapon ffs.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Cant remember where it leads, but poison swamp is just a bunch of horizontals and you'll be through it in no time. Also, not actually poison.

You'll be in ice area for a while.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Last Faith; is there any benefit at all to executing enemies? It doesn't seem to result in anything but an animation. Also, do you ever get the ability to jump while shooting? The gun seems pretty pointless since you can't aim it at all, jumping or crouching, and the enemies that you most want to keep at a distance are, 100% of the time, too short to be hit by the pistol.

Boy, this jumping spider guy keeps moving away and shooting me. If only I had some kind of long distance weapon to chase him down with

Heath fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 18, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Heath posted:

Last Faith; is there any benefit at all to executing enemies? It doesn't seem to result in anything but an animation. Also, do you ever get the ability to jump while shooting? The gun seems pretty pointless since you can't aim it at all, jumping or crouching, and the enemies that you most want to keep at a distance are, 100% of the time, too short to be hit by the pistol.

Boy, this jumping spider guy keeps moving away and shooting me. If only I had some kind of long distance weapon to chase him down with

He's literally the worst enemy in the game

Also yeah; while I have enjoyed my time with Last Faith, there's a lot of design choices that puzzle me.

- Why can't you jump and shoot? (aiming would probably be too much)
- Why can't you attack while crouched?
- Why are some enemies too short to be hit with the gun (like you already wrote)

Someone also wrote that the progression signposting is kind of odd and I agree.

Farming for healing injections is miserable if you're doing a tough boss and didn't have the foresight to stack them beforehand. IMO they should always give the standard 4 after a respawn like they do on the first boss.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 18, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Also, the game really, really, really, really needs to tell you that the guy you send to the manor can upgrade your weapons. I spent an hour trying to find this blacksmith I kept reading about only to realize I had already rescued him.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Heath posted:

Executions give you back some of the blue bar for abilities and spells, parries heal you a little.

I’ve found the executions to be too finicky to rely on, but it’s a nice boost.

I agree about the sponginess of enemies, everything has like, a third more health than feels good. I started over as a strength character and it’s wild how much more effective it’s been so far.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If this is actually a soulslike where STR scaling is the only viable option then the design REALLY f*ed up seeing how OP some really weird options in souls games usually are.

I started as marksman and I'm running the gunblade, haven't found a better Instinct option yet. I did find the Eternal greatblade (?) and felt a bit of a dread thinking "Oh no, this thing would've carried me to the endgame if I were STR scaling" but I'm gonna keep on trucking.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I was kinda down on The Last Faith until I got to the swamp (poor directions to mandatory stuff, overly purple prose, overly tough enemies as a stargazer who didn't meet the prereqs for my weapons), but I am really digging it now. The Shadowscourge fight was annoying at first, but I ground out 30 levels in the little ice fortress preview area and started actually using my limited regen and fire buff consumables, and when I came back it only took a couple tries.

For anyone else playing, I highly recommend watching a video previewing your weapon options. I don't think there's an option to respec your levels or unspend upgrade ores (I'm sticking with the whip until I get that magic INT scaling katana after unlocking the double jump later in the game), and having a basic gameplan for what weapons you are going for could avoid some major frustration. It will be impractical to max more than one of the unique weapons on upgrades.

Soft cap for stats starts at 50, points that were giving me 3s suddenly started giving me 1s. With 50 INT and a 18ish DEX, I am fairly happy with the damage I am doing, but I am leaning harder on spells than weapons currently. (Good spells: the lightning in the manor is OK. You'll unlock a dark-element castlevania axe if you look around lower mythringal, which lets you attack enemies above and below to cheese some fights. After shadowscourge fight, look around for an ice wave spell that is REALLY good. Damage + slow on enemies. Don't forget that you can buy mana stones from a merchant accessible from the graveyard elevator, I basically never am legit out of magic ammo.

I have not yet gotten to the hydra boss that convinced me to buy this game when I saw a trailer years ago, but I'm getting increasingly satisfied with the game now that I have equipment that lines up with my character concept and have grinded up to the point where the game difficulty isn't too brutal. The mirror dungeon boss is really fun!

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

TeaJay posted:

If this is actually a soulslike where STR scaling is the only viable option then the design REALLY f*ed up seeing how OP some really weird options in souls games usually are.

I started as marksman and I'm running the gunblade, haven't found a better Instinct option yet. I did find the Eternal greatblade (?) and felt a bit of a dread thinking "Oh no, this thing would've carried me to the endgame if I were STR scaling" but I'm gonna keep on trucking.

Yeah, that greatblade being nearly as fast as my gun blade but almost double the attack rating seemed wild.

It feels like a game that you can plan for some interesting runs once you’ve stumbled through once, but I don’t thinks it been fun enough so far I can imagine a second run being worth it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I watched some weapon preview video and there's like two options for instinct weapons and one of them is way lategame, wtf (and the other one I already have). Guess I'll pump DEX and mind then.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The whip is grabbable very early, and it seems like you could probably get through the whole game with it if you aren't using STR weapons. It also doesn't use the special upgrade stones. I plan to max it out even though my final weapon choice is something different. That reach is absolutely incredible, and it lets you hit enemies low to the ground without having to do anything awkward.

I also definitely recommend using those elemental weapon buff items. Later weapons come with their own infusions, so you should not worry too much about saving your infusions for later. Flaming weapons have carried me through a lot of tricky fights.

Although, I will say that I would definitely prefer a bestiary of some kind where I could look up enemy weaknesses. Or a guideline for just generally, what element is effective against other elements. Actually testing that in-game is tedious enough that I basically just see whether my swings are doing more damage when I apply a weapon buff, and I don't test alternatives.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I remember earlier someone was saying how they got a whip early which was good and I've been going here "What whip? Where's the whip?" and checking out that guide showed me I completely missed it and have no shame going back and getting it when I'm on next

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This sounds like a game that will be great with some patches to clean up a lot of the weirdness.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, I remember earlier someone was saying how they got a whip early which was good and I've been going here "What whip? Where's the whip?" and checking out that guide showed me I completely missed it and have no shame going back and getting it when I'm on next

Can confirm, the whip is insanely good and has been carrying me so far. I just hit the point where the game world opens up and I've put off coming back to it because Mario RPG came out, but I'm going to jump back in tonight for a little while and see what I can find.

e: My next big thing I was going to do try and do was save up enough money to get the gloves, since it seemed like there are some walls that are screaming to be wall-jumped, and I'm very glad I did because I just got all kinds of poo poo and I have no idea what any of it does :stare:

e: Okay, nah, I'm at the shadowscourge boss or whatever its name is now and that's too much loving health. I'm legitimately hitting it for as much damage (lightning buff applied) as you hit the Asylum Demon with the broken straight sword

bawk fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 19, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah the balance swinging in this game is bafflingly lovely. Did they not actually play the game at all? It was so strong for the first three hours or so and now it's next to unplayable.

Heath fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've also... ran out of places to go?

There's the boss I'm stuck on, the snow place where the enemies are easily taking half damage/dealing double damage compared to everyplace else, a green area with some equally-strong dudes but the screen just ends with a bottomless pit, and every other place I've found so far requires a double jump or the next obvious upgrade, the grappling hook.

I have yet to find the item I need to upgrade the whip any further, too.

So my only option left is the boss fight, who I can reliably get to 3/4 health but it's still way more health than any boss fight so far. It's not like it's got high defense, I'm hitting it for more damage than the regular enemies take, the health pool is just that drat big! I think the insult-to-injury here is that the previous boss had several moments where you could do a scripted critical-hit to damage it more, and I've hit this thing for a shitload of damage in a row without ever interrupting/staggering it.

What the gently caress's the deal?

e: okay, snow area isn't as bad as I thought

e2: nevermind, I'm uninstalling. I'll keep tabs on this and come back in 6 months when a rebalance patch or two hits

bawk fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 19, 2023