Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Ugh the new Dock firmware update stopped the device from working at all with my TV. I should have followed my "never install firmware in week 1" rule!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
FYI: The 3.5.5. update made my Emulation Station not work. Reinstall from the emudeck menu fixed it.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Animal posted:

I really hope HDR works over Moonlight

It should, provided you have a HDR capable monitor attached to your source PC, or an equivalent EDID emulator. I think it's still listed as 'experimental' in the Moonlight client but I've had no issues with it. Note that this is on a regular PC client rather than the Steam Deck but I don't think it will be much different.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I guess these wont be shipped until next week. Hope to get my shiny new toy before I go on holidays.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

About how long after the initial Steam Deck release did it take for refurbs to start being offered in the store?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Grey Fox posted:

About how long after the initial Steam Deck release did it take for refurbs to start being offered in the store?

They only went up a few months ago, so over a year at least.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

I really hope HDR works over Moonlight

Moonlight/Sunshine HDR works great on macos and windows and android so I suspect it'll work well on deck. Maybe it'll need a patch since linux HDR is pretty new but I doubt it'll be long.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

harrygomm posted:

is the WiFi 7 standard just going to be the range of modern Qi chargers or something? i understand the relationship between throughput and frequency but man if i've gotta start getting an AP per room or some nonsense i may as well just be wired

Well it's not like you're actually using the extra bandwidth with WiFi 6E/6GHz to do game streaming. WiFi 6/5Ghz already offers 10x what you'd need. The biggest benefit is going to be that the 6 GHz won't have any interference in it aside from your own devices.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any idea yet if you can transfer something like the JSAUX backplate replacement to the OLED Deck? I know the shell is the same size, but does that extend to the screw holes and vents and such?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it’s supposed to be the same dimensions but I heard the screw holes have some kind of metal element or something to them to make them sturdier.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Tiny Timbs posted:

Any idea yet if you can transfer something like the JSAUX backplate replacement to the OLED Deck? I know the shell is the same size, but does that extend to the screw holes and vents and such?

The vents, power button, SD slot, etc. I think are the same. No sure about screw holes exactly, but from watching videos the heatsink/airflow design is pretty different so I've been wondering if the thermal pad portion of the JSAUX will fit properly.

Gamer's Nexus tear down of the OLED vs. the old one going over the differences. It doesn't even look like heat is passed to the shielding anymore.

ed: Valve went through a lot of trouble in keeping a lot of the design roughly similar so it wouldn't surprise me if screw hole placement is the same though.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 17, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg 3.5 finally dropped on stable

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

any idea if the battery will be easier to replace on the new OLED model? The ifixit guide for a battery repalcement on the old LCD model has me dreading the day the battery craps out on my original LCD model, and while I'm reading that the new version is supposed to be easier to repair, I've yet to see if the battery is still glued down and hard to get to

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's probably still glued down because that's just how batteries are now, but it's still right in front of you when you take the back cover off.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Nancy posted:

ed: Valve went through a lot of trouble in keeping a lot of the design roughly similar so it wouldn't surprise me if screw hole placement is the same though.

I'm pretty sure I can recall seeing someone say the screw design and placement is different now to make it even easier to access the internals, but honestly I could be pulling that out of my rear end. It's one of the more incidental details I've glazed over while getting to the good stuff in the video reviews.

Anyone spotted any movement yet on their orders? Mine has changed from Processing to Shipping Soon at some point in the last hour.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think it’s supposed to be the same dimensions but I heard the screw holes have some kind of metal element or something to them to make them sturdier.

The threads are now a metal insert rather than threading into plastic, so it should be easy more robust to opening it multiple times. Also the screws are torx now so dummies are less likely to strip them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Funnily enough, I checked just last night to see if 3.5 was out yet then 2 hours late... BAM!

I've just been waiting for the colour options. Is there a sort of recommended one-size-fits-all setting that makes the screen much nicer?

BoldFace posted:

After updating to 3.5.5 and undervolting to -40 mV using the new BIOS options, my deck runs noticeably cooler and quieter. Not that it was very loud to begin with.

You didn't have any performance issues? Where are the new BIOS options, I wanna try!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Funnily enough, I checked just last night to see if 3.5 was out yet then 2 hours late... BAM!

I've just been waiting for the colour options. Is there a sort of recommended one-size-fits-all setting that makes the screen much nicer?

I think the default sRGB setting is the best one, pumping saturation up any further looks kinda rear end.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Alan_Shore posted:

You didn't have any performance issues? Where are the new BIOS options, I wanna try!

Setup -> Advanced -> At the bottom. One setting for CPU, GPU, and SOC.

I'm testing it now, but it seems like -50 CPU is fine on my desk, just finished a stress test without any issues. I'll try GPU and SOC after, but very pleased that I only started learning about 3.5 a couple days ago while trying to improve switch emulation performance, and now it's out already!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm kind of miffed that SteamOS 3.5 dumped all my custom performance-tab configurations (scaling filters, etc.). It also sucks that the sliders are broken in the latest Steam client update and you have to restart between every game to reset them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

The threads are now a metal insert rather than threading into plastic, so it should be easy more robust to opening it multiple times. Also the screws are torx now so dummies are less likely to strip them.

As long as the holes are the same size and in the same spot that shouldn't affect custom shells, at least. I'm sure somebody will be able to tell soon but if not I'm willing to give it a try when I get mine in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh dang my router is super old and all my devices support better signals.

Ordered a TP-Link AXE 5400. Assuming that’s fine?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm kind of miffed that SteamOS 3.5 dumped all my custom performance-tab configurations (scaling filters, etc.). It also sucks that the sliders are broken in the latest Steam client update and you have to restart between every game to reset them.

What's the tl;dr on this update for someone who doesn't have anything more complex than Decky installed? Is it good to go, or wait for a week and a patch or three?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

Oh dang my router is super old and all my devices support better signals.

Ordered a TP-Link AXE 5400. Assuming that’s fine?

Hope so, that's the one I just ordered as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tiny Timbs posted:

As long as the holes are the same size and in the same spot that shouldn't affect custom shells, at least. I'm sure somebody will be able to tell soon but if not I'm willing to give it a try when I get mine in.

They are. They've already said the accessories should all fit the same as the og.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Blotto_Otter posted:

any idea if the battery will be easier to replace on the new OLED model? The ifixit guide for a battery repalcement on the old LCD model has me dreading the day the battery craps out on my original LCD model, and while I'm reading that the new version is supposed to be easier to repair, I've yet to see if the battery is still glued down and hard to get to

iirc I saw in some review (forget which one) that they are using less glue now so it should be easier to remove.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
In Canada - I had my order confirmed ~23 min after launch (10 AM PST). Here's what I see when checking the delivery status:

We'll see what this means soon I guess.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Bumhead posted:

Has anyone who encountered any problems just after launch yesterday still got any ongoing issues?

The first 20-30 minutes was a total shitshow but it seems like everything after that has been pretty smooth? Sounds like US folk were still able to grab LE's hours later, and in the UK even if you place an order now you're only looking at 6-10 days for delivery.

Did Valve do a good?
You can STILL get the LE almost a full 24 hours after launch, so yeah they did a good.

Blotto_Otter posted:

It's still glued down, but not as much glue. So enough to make it secure, but not so much that it's going to be a huge deal when you do it (still effort though).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey just a heads up, it looks like Steam 3.5.5 hosed up the microphone on the deck, and I also can't launch Baldur's Gate 3.

Pretty great combo of poo poo when I play it online with friends through discord voice chat every night. Here's hoping for a fix soon.

Edit: ok, didn't realize there was a hotfix from Larian today, that might be what's preventing the game from launching.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 17, 2023

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
As much as I love my deck, constant updates to the OS, the games, and poo poo just randomly breaking are a stark reminder that yeaaah this is absolutely a PC gaming experience

Lovely form factor but ngl I've gotten pretty aggravated a few times when trying to do normal poo poo. For example I had to add specific DNS addresses to my wifi setup because my internet connectivity was hosed, I tried a bunch of networks and hotspots too.

It's kind of like oh I have an issue with x, let's try to troubleshoot hmm looks like this is being caused by y let's do research on that issue now and pray that solves both issues-oh poo poo it's midnight and I just spent two hours troubleshooting this drat thing oh well time to sleep for work tomorrow

at least it's fixed for now smh

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I've been using the update for what feels like months now on the beta branch with zero issues, the hell is going on

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nancy posted:

The vents, power button, SD slot, etc. I think are the same. No sure about screw holes exactly, but from watching videos the heatsink/airflow design is pretty different so I've been wondering if the thermal pad portion of the JSAUX will fit properly.

Gamer's Nexus tear down of the OLED vs. the old one going over the differences. It doesn't even look like heat is passed to the shielding anymore.

The airflow is reversed and Valve seem to have spent significant time on re-engineering flow and heat dispersion. I'm not going to move the JSAUX backplate over, but will probably put in the thermal pad since I have a lot left over from doing it on the og model.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well it's not like you're actually using the extra bandwidth with WiFi 6E/6GHz to do game streaming. WiFi 6/5Ghz already offers 10x what you'd need. The biggest benefit is going to be that the 6 GHz won't have any interference in it aside from your own devices.

This. 6E adds a bunch more channels in the 6GHz band that don't require DFS scanning and cannot be used by legacy devices - but it's that lack of interference and lower noise floor that will be nice, not additional bandwidth. Even old 11n could hit 450mpbs, but was sitting in very noisy space. A bunch of the improvements in 11ac and 11ax/6 was around directional antenna tech and improved encoding, 6E only adds new spectrum. You can get that same non-inteference in the 5GHz band with 6+DFS - along with a larger footprint than 6GHz.

It may not be a good idea to have a bunch of 6E stations in close proximity - each such station is raising the noise floor and that will eventually overwhelm any signal improvements. You can play tricks to try and keep them on different channels etc, but you really want to minimize competing stations as much as possible - even your own.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Kind of wish I got a little more information on the status of my OLED deck order other than "Processing". I know that there is only so much they can do but it makes me anxious.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

v1ld posted:

The airflow is reversed and Valve seem to have spent significant time on re-engineering flow and heat dispersion. I'm not going to move the JSAUX backplate over, but will probably put in the thermal pad since I have a lot left over from doing it on the og model.

So wait where do I stick my nose now when the fan ramps up?

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Unlucky7 posted:

Kind of wish I got a little more information on the status of my OLED deck order other than "Processing". I know that there is only so much they can do but it makes me anxious.

Mine (512 OLED) just moved to "Packaged items" sometime in the last hour.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rolo posted:

So wait where do I stick my nose now when the fan ramps up?

You'll be feeding the fan rather than feeding from the fan - but you'll still be one with the Deck.

Joking aside, the upper vent may still be venting. They reversed the flow of the fan inside the case, but the airflow may still vent out the same way. Net air in/out probably won't change much unless the fan itself is moving less air - which wasn't clear.

The current JSAUX lets the fan pull in more air with that fat hole over the fan. That's probably not a good idea if the fan is pushing air and it gets pushed out of the case rather than where Valve intended it to go.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 17, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Squiggle posted:

I've been using the update for what feels like months now on the beta branch with zero issues, the hell is going on

I agree. I haven't been using the beta branch, but I know it's been up for a while.... You'd think the main steam mic conking out wouldn't be in the cards, but here we are...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I own a copy of Tears of the Kingdom, and other Switch games for reals (check my post history). But I play them docked, and want them on the deck so I don't have to carry two devices. I don't have the hardware to rip from my own cartridges. Where can I get backups?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChocNitty posted:

I own a copy of Tears of the Kingdom, and other Switch games for reals (check my post history). But I play them docked, and want them on the deck so I don't have to carry two devices. I don't have the hardware to rip from my own cartridges. Where can I get backups?

Not a question you’re going to get answered on the forums, but the Discord has a looser policy about high-seas adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

Don’t bother , play them on switch