Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Wungus posted:

He's loving fantastic.

This set of his at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival is one of my favorite stand up sets of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j60pKvNLQNc

I appreciate that humour is subjective. But good lord was that not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It is very funny to me that they have lozenges called Throaties over there.

The rest, I thought, was also pretty funny.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I appreciate that humour is subjective. But good lord was that not funny.

I appreciate that humour is subjective... but on the contrary, it made me laugh a lot.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i dont know how often I've seen comedy that i'd called technically skilled but I think that's it, really. The structure and construction of his jokes is really good, down to the little details. Really liked that set.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That was nice. It wasn't Bo Burnham nice, but it was alright. There are worse. Not still funny worse, but not good. Sam is better than them's. And that's a good thing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

neongrey posted:

i dont know how often I've seen comedy that i'd called technically skilled but I think that's it, really. The structure and construction of his jokes is really good, down to the little details. Really liked that set.

It's how I'd describe James Acaster's Netflix special, for instance. I got into it from clips but really the beauty of the thing is how it fits together like layered clockwork.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

well I know what I'm watching sometime this evening!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i am raising my arms, making a big circle, and respectfully bowing to sam campbell's insanity

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

neongrey posted:

well I know what I'm watching sometime this evening!

Acaster clips were a big part of my pipeline to Taskmania so I feel like I've completed the circle of life somehow.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Caphi posted:

It's how I'd describe James Acaster's Netflix special, for instance. I got into it from clips but really the beauty of the thing is how it fits together like layered clockwork.

i saw acaster on Would I Lie To You? first, and he's really funny and quick on that, so i gave his netflix special (specials, as i came to find out) a shot and holy poo poo, the first hour was so masterfully crafted i was legit awed. he's become one of my favorite standups and i was really happy when i learned he was on taskmaster when started watching over covid

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Caphi posted:

yeah i'd seen some of the bits parted out before and yeah they were funny but wow, fitted into place this is fantastic.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

what does Lucy even say here in the start?

"toes taste a dairy"?? 8 episodes and then this outtake has her ramping up the accent to god levels.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dairylea is a brand of cheese in the UK

They come in little triangles and are good for a kids lunchbox or there are "Dairylea Dunkers" which is cream cheese with some flavoured breadsticks or something

I never actually had an actual dunker as a kid, always had to settle for the cheaper knock offs :negative:

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

quote:

Yer toes tasted a dairylea.

quote:

Your toes tasted of dairylea.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dragonstoned posted:

They come in little triangles and are good for a kids lunchbox or there are "Dairylea Dunkers" which is cream cheese with some flavoured breadsticks or something

Like these?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

I never actually had an actual dunker as a kid, always had to settle for the cheaper knock offs :negative:

Haha I always thought it was akin to Sara Lee and was just frozen desserts like chocolate pie.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The task that outtake discussion is following on from hasn't been on right? Like from context it seems like she's talking about something awful she actually did with Alex that involved his feet so it's not just Lucy talking mad stuff like she sometimes does (several takes, "you bit so hard", etc) but I can't think what task that could possibly be? The outtakes are usually only put up when the episode they're taken out of have been on I think but they must have changed that. Or the entire section, task included, has been erased from my memory I suppose.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

thebardyspoon posted:

The task that outtake discussion is following on from hasn't been on right? Like from context it seems like she's talking about something awful she actually did with Alex that involved his feet so it's not just Lucy talking mad stuff like she sometimes does (several takes, "you bit so hard", etc) but I can't think what task that could possibly be? The outtakes are usually only put up when the episode they're taken out of have been on I think but they must have changed that. Or the entire section, task included, has been erased from my memory I suppose.

It's the Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes (Knees, and Toes) task.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Knees, and Toes

Knees and toes

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Like these?

loving hell, I thought those were just an Eastern Europe thing. Note the "made WITH cheese".

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
babybel is the king of the illegitimate cheese world

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This episode might have been peak Lucy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hoped they wouldn't end the clown task with the reveal that a bunch of people broke the disqualification rule again. It's just getting predictable and boring at this point.

Otherwise good episode.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The conceit at the heart of the final task - that everything Alex did was a distraction because all the questions were about Greg - was masterful misdirection delivered through such extraordinary effort. All those red herrings about which hand he had which prop in, etc. Completely took me in, but it should have been foreseeable, as it's very on brand for the TM-assistant dynamic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

stev posted:

I really hoped they wouldn't end the clown task with the reveal that a bunch of people broke the disqualification rule again. It's just getting predictable and boring at this point.

Otherwise good episode.
Perhaps the contestants should stop being such gently caress ups....

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What glorious madness!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Pablo Bluth posted:

Perhaps the contestants should stop being such gently caress ups....

All the information is. on. the. task:argh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
As great as the first task was, I feel my initial instinct would be to break the loving signals.

e:

stev posted:

Otherwise good episode.
I think the contestants getting wise to this and reacting immediately made it work. And Alex got a new nickname out of it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 17, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I think I would have tried driving behind the building to bypass the signals

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I can't believe no one trussed up the deck of cards so that it could be thrown as a block, and then retrieved by dragging it back with a long string.. We saw Sam start doing that and were like "There we go" and then he missed the most important part of the scheme...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

String or rope is the most powerful item in the Taskmaster Universe. So many tasks can be made simple with a good bit of long string.

Do something at distance? Pull on string
Not allowed to cross a threshold? Pull on string to retrieve objects
Need to stop Little Alex Horne? Tie him to a chair

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think I would have tried driving behind the building to bypass the signals

You'd probably get a driving lesson for going off-road.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pablo Bluth posted:

String or rope is the most powerful item in the Taskmaster Universe. So many tasks can be made simple with a good bit of long string.

In a world of string the one scissors man is punished. A la bouff bouff!

Tasmaster series 16 is better than the Wire season 3 :colbert:

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've been making my way through the podcast and am on series 11 now. Jamali knows this and that's why he asked for 'big string' in one of the tasks.

I also made the big mistake of listening to Mike's episode while I was having my breakfast - the fart task :barf:

Speaking of Jamali, he said he knew Sarah before from doing a gig abroad with her but when she was on the pod she said she didn't know him that well before *awkward*

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

ALSO! I was annoyed that no one acknowledged Lucy's prize task entry. She brought in literal old crap. Maybe still not worth more than 1 point, because there's not much chance Greg would like it, but it was a deeper entry than it seemed at first glance.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Wafflecop posted:

I also made the big mistake of listening to Mike's episode while I was having my breakfast - the fart task :barf:

could've been worse. could've been during a casserole dinner

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Tagra posted:

ALSO! I was annoyed that no one acknowledged Lucy's prize task entry. She brought in literal old crap. Maybe still not worth more than 1 point, because there's not much chance Greg would like it, but it was a deeper entry than it seemed at first glance.

It bothered me so much when Greg kept calling it poo poo.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Honestly I'd have been all don't you know about hantavirus?! And immediately disqualified her on the grounds of biological warfare

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lucy’s answers during the final task destroyed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lucy’s answers during the final task destroyed me.

All her previous stories almost make you believe that's what she actually remembered.