Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Brought To You By posted:

he slaughtered the hosts of heaven itself purely because they put her in a bad situation.
I mean...they were also going to kill asaka and him and everyone else, and were trying to make enju shoot herself in the head to stop it. I'd casually annihilate the entirety of the forces of heaven too if they pulled that poo poo, that's hosed up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean...they were also going to kill asaka and him and everyone else, and were trying to make enju shoot herself in the head to stop it. I'd casually annihilate the entirety of the forces of heaven too if they pulled that poo poo, that's hosed up!

My read is that in that his slaughter might have been started by how he felt about Enju's situation, but the continued deaths on heaven's side were purely because entities up there kept thinking of him as a target after recognizing him as a threat. If he had seriously sensed a threat to earth at large it would have played out the same way as the eldritch angler fish he also killed because that would have also been a threat against him. And Yogiri didn't react to any of the other shenanigans that affected Enju despite the intention of the earth destroying angels.

This is ultimately an example of how his inability to detect indirect hostility is a blind spot for him. If Enju hadn't shown up in his bunker, Yogiri wouldn't have killed Heaven off until after she offed herself in despair and the angels geared up to properly destroy earth.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There should be an isekai where someone gets a power like "Super Omega Hyper Beam" or something like the Instant Death one, and they're looked down on by other isekai protagonists because it's not secretly OP like Appraisal or Basic Heal, and instead it's just regular OP

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It feels like it's really often that a series won't even bother establishing why a certain skill the 'underdog' protagonist has is bad or looked down on / bad but secretly OP. (Granted, sometimes 'oh that's gross' is valid, I guess.)
Sometimes it's a quirk of the mc (other traits etc), or different skillset/knowledge that lets them utilize it, but it's usually a case of 'everyone except the mc is an idiot'-itis. Or just 'Skill X is bad and looked down on because otherwise the character wouldn't be an underdog.'.

The Adventures of Black Cat "Nyango": Since I got a rare attribute, I aim to be a carefree adventurer. is one of the examples I've seen where it makes sense that the skill/attribute is looked down on... because others can't actually see it, unlike very physical ones like water/fire.
You need quite a bit of training/application for it to be meaningful (especially if you're weaker.), compared to say fire where you can light things on fire from day 1.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 10, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SubNat posted:

It feels like it's really often that a series won't even bother establishing why a certain skill the 'underdog' protagonist has is bad or looked down on / bad but secretly OP. (Granted, sometimes 'oh that's gross' is valid, I guess.)
Sometimes it's a quirk of the mc (other traits etc), or different skillset/knowledge that lets them utilize it, but it's usually a case of 'everyone except the mc is an idiot'-itis. Or just 'Skill X is bad and looked down on because otherwise the character wouldn't be an underdog.'.

Often it feels to me like it's something the authors themselves looks down on, like "playing a healer is lame, I wanna punch things." So they write a story about how actually the guy stuck with healing powers is the best at punching things.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

SubNat posted:

snip

"Oh brave hero generic salaryman, I have summoned you to this world because you did slightly better than average on your final exams, your department was in the black last quarter, and frankly, you were conveniently available after that truck jumped the curb.

Anyway, I need you to help the people of my world because, I'll be honest with you, they're all very dumb. You get a second chance at life, I'll pay you in rice and miso, and I'll throw in a couple skills to sweeten the deal."
---
"Pfft, [Cure Disease] and [Purify Water]? What incredibly lame skills, unlike my [Lightning Blast Free Throw]. You couldn't pay me to take them!"

"Yes, that's because you're an incredible moron, like all your people. If the free soup wasn't so good I'd ask your god to throw me back into the void."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Often it feels to me like it's something the authors themselves looks down on, like "playing a healer is lame, I wanna punch things." So they write a story about how actually the guy stuck with healing powers is the best at punching things.

I know this probably wasn't aimed at the actual series that does this. But there is normal healing magic and then the unique healing magic that exists so that Rose and Usato can punch things really good after achieving incredible gains. It's a better justification for why healing mages don't have the highest reputation in addition to their relative rarity compared to other magic types.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

--- and then the unique healing magic that exists so that Rose and Usato can punch things really good after achieving incredible gains. It's a better justification for why healing mages don't have the highest reputation in addition to their relative rarity compared to other magic types.

One little detail in Overlord I noticed and liked was that a knight was given a potion after a heavy sparring session, and he didn't want to use it because he'd lose his progress.
Healing magic just reverting you back towards a 'healthy' state, as opposed to accelerating growth is an interesting wrinkle that makes it so that healing magic can't be used in that way.

(Speaking of Overlord I checked it out because it was mentioned here, drat is it bizarrely structured. I have no loving clue why the protagonist group does any of the things they do, and it keeps going off to different groups I like way more for long arcs.
The whole Lizardfolk arc was just... why did any of this happen? And sometimes things just happen and it feels like I skipped entire chapters. A series I'm mostly just reading on momentum, currently.)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SubNat posted:

One little detail in Overlord I noticed and liked was that a knight was given a potion after a heavy sparring session, and he didn't want to use it because he'd lose his progress.
Healing magic just reverting you back towards a 'healthy' state, as opposed to accelerating growth is an interesting wrinkle that makes it so that healing magic can't be used in that way.

(Speaking of Overlord I checked it out because it was mentioned here, drat is it bizarrely structured. I have no loving clue why the protagonist group does any of the things they do, and it keeps going off to different groups I like way more for long arcs.
The whole Lizardfolk arc was just... why did any of this happen? And sometimes things just happen and it feels like I skipped entire chapters. A series I'm mostly just reading on momentum, currently.)

Everything makes sense once you realize the protagonist group are horribly evil NPC's and their leader is impossibly powerful, but spineless and weak willed and can't say no to them so they go out and pillage and destroy in his name thinking that's what bone dad wants from them.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Argue posted:

There should be an isekai where someone gets a power like "Super Omega Hyper Beam" or something like the Instant Death one, and they're looked down on by other isekai protagonists because it's not secretly OP like Appraisal or Basic Heal, and instead it's just regular OP

This made me imagine an isekai where someone basically has Megumin's explosion without the one use a day/passing out downside but almost all of the problems are politics or agriculture related stuff and all the enemies are in easily collapsible dungeons. Everyone recognizes it is an incredibly powerful and broken ability, but it's also completely useless or suicidal 99.9% of the time.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Indiana_Krom posted:

This made me imagine an isekai where someone basically has Megumin's explosion without the one use a day/passing out downside but almost all of the problems are politics or agriculture related stuff and all the enemies are in easily collapsible dungeons. Everyone recognizes it is an incredibly powerful and broken ability, but it's also completely useless or suicidal 99.9% of the time.

Honestly sounds like classic light novel series Slayers

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

SubNat posted:

The guy who trains the MC in the great cleric has the same advice to not heal his muscle pain.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Massive spoilers for the end of konosuba:
She nukes the demon king's castle shield, guard and part of the castle by sitting in a pile of mana crystals and chain-incantationless-casting explosion though she ends up with a blood nose

Also kazuma defeats the demon king exactly that way by collapsing a dungeon on the both of them

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

instant death
My read is that in that his slaughter might have been started by how he felt about Enju's situation, but the continued deaths on heaven's side were purely because entities up there kept thinking of him as a target after recognizing him as a threat. If he had seriously sensed a threat to earth at large it would have played out the same way as the eldritch angler fish he also killed because that would have also been a threat against him. And Yogiri didn't react to any of the other shenanigans that affected Enju despite the intention of the earth destroying angels.

This is ultimately an example of how his inability to detect indirect hostility is a blind spot for him. If Enju hadn't shown up in his bunker, Yogiri wouldn't have killed Heaven off until after she offed herself in despair and the angels geared up to properly destroy earth.

This does sort of get explained in the LN He is just supposed to be a singular entity that is the multiverse's defense mechanism. The multiverse doesn't care if a bunch of universes get destroyed as long as its not all of them, but when a powerful god/being decides to destroy ALL the other universes then Earth would be in that list to be destroyed and that would trigger the instant death response. They even mention how there are two types of gods, ones who know about him and thus know they themselves are not really omnipotent, and gods that don't know about him and are therefore much stronger(but run the risk of instant death if they ever run across him)
All his personality and other stuff is just because they decided to try raising him like a child for the first time in history.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Lord Awkward posted:

"Oh brave hero generic salaryman, I have summoned you to this world because you did slightly better than average on your final exams, your department was in the black last quarter, and frankly, you were conveniently available after that truck jumped the curb.

Anyway, I need you to help the people of my world because, I'll be honest with you, they're all very dumb. You get a second chance at life, I'll pay you in rice and miso, and I'll throw in a couple skills to sweeten the deal."
---
"Pfft, [Cure Disease] and [Purify Water]? What incredibly lame skills, unlike my [Lightning Blast Free Throw]. You couldn't pay me to take them!"

"Yes, that's because you're an incredible moron, like all your people. If the free soup wasn't so good I'd ask your god to throw me back into the void."

For the first half: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/a9as6l4/sarariiman-ga-isekai-ni-ittara-shitennou-ni-natta-hanashi
Where the demon lord is also a great boss.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Indiana_Krom posted:

Sounds adjacent to MaoYuu, although that one is not technically isekai.

Quite like MaoYuu.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

thetoughestbean posted:

Honestly sounds like classic light novel series Slayers

Lina just nukes them anyway

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that kinda bland reverse isekai'd knight farmer series got some updates.

I still read the series, but it's not amazing or anything. one thing I do find hilarious is the stupid lovely knight hero brother getting owned by a japanese farmer and immediately turning into a weeb at record speed

edit: oh lol I just read the latest chapter and cringed into a singularity. also louise is absolutely going to get shot in america lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 13, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

that kinda bland reverse isekai'd knight farmer series got some updates.

I still read the series, but it's not amazing or anything. one thing I do find hilarious is the stupid lovely knight hero brother getting owned by a japanese farmer and immediately turning into a weeb at record speed

edit: oh lol I just read the latest chapter and cringed into a singularity. also louise is absolutely going to get shot in america lol

Have you tried the better reverse isekai Gal and Knightess?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no but I will add it to the list

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GateOfD posted:

caught up on High Level Medicine Doctor isekai

neat twist shown where okay, not ALL the human healer are assholes, some actually wanna do good, but yes there's a lot of corruption there

I laughed pretty hard when the MC started describing 'basic hygiene' and the church was all THIS IS AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT TO EVERYTHING WE STAND FOR.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I can't remember the doctor's name but they got really angry at the guy who suggested doctors wash their hands before surgery.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

khy posted:

I laughed pretty hard when the MC started describing 'basic hygiene' and the church was all THIS IS AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT TO EVERYTHING WE STAND FOR.

I get the feeling if this viewpoint was ever presented to the MC he'd alternately respond what no man your poo poo is great, I p. much rely on the body's natural recovery all the drat time, perhaps you missed the part where I cut people open and perforate their organs? and gently caress YOUR FOR-PROFIT MEDICINE.

Guyver posted:

I can't remember the doctor's name but they got really angry at the guy who suggested doctors wash their hands before surgery.

RIP Ignaz Semmelweis, adopting simple precautions can seem an awful lot like an admission of fault.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 13, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

killing intent is just how yogiri defends himself. he's not limited to being reactive. also, there doesn't seem to be an upper limit on what he could kill. it's entirely possible he could kill a universe as easily as he kills anything else.

iirc the whole reason the "seals" exist is so he doesn't do this by accident.

Ironically it's because of people like Asaka that such a scenario is entirely plausible.The last chapter does make two points; Glasses guy surmises that Yogiri isn't as unemotional as he usually presents and Yogiri himself voices anger at the Enju robot being utilized again. The fact that he does seem to experience regular emotions is the biggest problem here because those routinely override logic.

He has what? 3 people in the entire multiverse he can claim to legitimately care about and with the most recent one we met; he slaughtered the hosts of heaven itself purely because they put her in a bad situation. If any of those 3 people died as a result of someone targeting him I have no doubt whatever fury he unleashes is going to be beyond biblical.

yogiri's never presented himself as particularly unemotional, he just gives himself firm rules as to what he'll use his power for because it's not something that should be abused.

that said he's not some barely-restrained monster, he's pretty easy to get along with as long as you're not actively threatening him or people he cares about.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 14, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Glazius posted:

I get the feeling if this viewpoint was ever presented to the MC he'd alternately respond what no man your poo poo is great, I p. much rely on the body's natural recovery all the drat time, perhaps you missed the part where I cut people open and perforate their organs? and gently caress YOUR FOR-PROFIT MEDICINE.

RIP Ignaz Semmelweis, adopting simple precautions can seem an awful lot like an admission of fault.
The 'Semmelweis the tormented genius' thing is basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, people say he was talking about the disease being contagious, but Semmelweis' actual belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'. And he was pretty firm on the 'not contagious' thing, too.

semmelweis posted:

Childbed fever is not a contagious disease. A contagious disease is one that produces the contagion by which the disease is spread. This contagion brings about only the same disease in other individuals. . . .Smallpox causes only smallpox and no other disease. . . . Childbed fever is different”

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?' To which his response was 'uuuuuuuuuuuuh?' And then they said 'well, this disease is known to come in outbreaks where a bunch of people get it and then nobody gets it, so we really need a bigger sample to prove anything, can we have more data'?

In response, Semmelweis immediately and promptly... didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS. And during that time, there was another outbreak of childbed fever, which was only in his handwashing ward.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, Semmelweis revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too drat crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to publish a paper saying 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson* published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

*Simpson, also notable for being the first person to say 'hey we need better anesthetics, let me get some friends together around my dining room table and huff random things until we find something that gets us high'**, snorting a whole bottle of it, and deciding to use it for medicine. Realizing that some people might have religious or objections to the use of anesthetics, before his publication he blitzed London with pamphlets about his new discovery and contacted local church leaders, cinching his argument with a quote from Genesis, "And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;" which not only thoroughly quashed any religious qualms people might have had, but meant they were demanding their doctors use these new painkillers just as his paper came out. Also the founder of modern obstetrics, since he also realized 'hey, maybe childbirth doesn't have to hurt now'.

quote:

Having inhaled several substances, but without much effect, it occurred to Dr. Simpson to try a ponderous material which he had formerly set aside on a lumber table, and which, on account of its great weight, he had hitherto regarded as of no likelihood whatever. That happened to be a small bottle of chloroform. It was searched for, and recovered from beneath a heap of waste paper. And with each tumbler newly charged, the inhalers renewed their vocation. Immediately an unwonted hilarity seized the party, — they became bright-eyed, very happy, and very loquacious — expatiating on the delicious aroma of the new fluid. The conversation was of unusual intelligence, and quite charmed the listeners — some ladies of the family, and a naval officer, brother-in-law to Dr. Simpson. But suddenly there was a talk of sounds being heard like those of a cotton mill, louder and louder; a moment more and then all was quiet, and then crash!

On awakening, Dr. Simpson's first impression was mental. “This is far stronger and better than ether, " said he to himself. His second was to note that he was prostrate on the floor, and that among the friends about him there was both confusion and alarm. Hearing a noise, he turned round and saw Dr. Duncan beneath a chair, his jaw dropped, his eyes staring, his head bent half under him, quite unconscious, and snoring in a most determined and alarming manner. More noise still, and much motion. And then his eyes overtook Dr. Keith's feet and legs making valorous attempts to over turn the supper table, or more probably to annihilate everything that was on it. By and bye, Dr. Simpson having regained his seat, Dr. Duncan having finished his uncomfortable and unrefreshing slumber, and Dr. Keith having come to an arrangement with the table and its contents, the sederunt was resumed. Each expressed himself delighted with this new agent, and its inhalation was repeated many times that night — one of the ladies gallantly taking her place and turn at the table — until the supply of chloroform was fairly exhausted.”

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The new volume of Dahlia in Bloom's magic invention is a kotatsu. I don't get it. To be frank I have never understood it. Okay your feet and legs are warm but my back and shoulders are cold. Oh what's that? Just crawl under the table? These people with fire places, magically heated clothes and magic space heaters are losing their minds over a blanket on a space heater.

The B plot invention is Mono filament wire sword chucks which they could have spent more time on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, if nothing else a kotatsu is cat paradise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

that said he's not some barely-restrained monster, he's pretty easy to get along with as long as you're not actively threatening him or people he cares about.

I think the worst situation to have to deal with Yogiri is if you're a soldier in an army that is ordered to apprehend him or something. Basically the moment you start to take any direct action that could involve killing him, he'll reflexively kill you.

We basically see this happen during the part with the world-eater thing - IIRC he just wipes out half the country's army because they're ordered to stop his car and are instantly killed the moment they receive the order and decide to carry it out.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ytlaya posted:

I think the worst situation to have to deal with Yogiri is if you're a soldier in an army that is ordered to apprehend him or something. Basically the moment you start to take any direct action that could involve killing him, he'll reflexively kill you.

We basically see this happen during the part with the world-eater thing - IIRC he just wipes out half the country's army because they're ordered to stop his car and are instantly killed the moment they receive the order and decide to carry it out.

There's an even worse one coming up (I think it happens in about Light Novel Volume 6?) Being the unknowing sentient vessel of a secret world-spanning hivemind whose core consciousness has decided that it will seek vengeance against him. The casualties from _that_ are immense.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Isekai Samurai. More exposition and more humor over how the Sengoku period would flabbergast the people of this world. And we also got a neat HxH reference in a bonus panel.

Yinlock posted:

iirc the whole reason the "seals" exist is so he doesn't do this by accident.

yogiri's never presented himself as particularly unemotional, he just gives himself firm rules as to what he'll use his power for because it's not something that should be abused.

By and large his core emotional range is being annoyed by others or being typically horny for a high schooler. He is still very much emotionally detached to most of what goes on around him so him voicing actual anger is worth pointing out. I also don't think I'm saying he's barely restrained but again, we've seen what he'll do if given a challenge and it can often result in a high body count even though he sticks to his rules. But in all his time alive he has never actually experienced a true loss and his potential response to that is what I'm interested in.

As it relates to the seals I don't think they are just safety measures. The usual cliche I'm leaning towards is that Yogiri that the seals are what allows his human consciousness to be what it is and detaches him from a more eldritch mindset. Under these circumstances sufficient physical and/or emotional trauma can cause the consciousness to be shed even if it is temporary. For example; Elis in the Giantess isekai is one such type of character because of what we learned during the Junko fight. She similarly also has an auto-defense mechanism although what constitutes a threat to her safety is a far higher bar than Yogiri's. But killing her brought out something far more terrible than a Giant with more magic tattoo surface area on her palm than any human wizard. And that 2nd form was enough to kill someone that couldn't be touched.

And I'm not even assuming Yogiri needs to/will even die. I am going to keep flying blind on the LN for this series but it will be interested how taking a hostage plays out if the analyst guy puts up a better plan than the assassin dude tested out. That or as Ytala pointed out, and as also seen with the angels from heaven, there becomes a larger effort that winds up putting a huge number of people on Yogiri's radar as they perceive him as a target.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 17, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the escalating body count is due entirely to enemies going "he killed henchman x, murder him" and mobilizing entire armies to do him in. If they would just practice proportionate response they would maybe live long enough to learn the rules and leave well enough alone.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

tbf it's his only means of self-defense and the one time he tried holding back was somehow even more horrifying

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
When he experimented with only killing parts of people?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was horrifying, yes. Sometimes dead is better.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
And he's getting better at precisely targeting parts to kill while leaving the whole intact.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For all his power, the only tool he has is Death's Scythe. It's not his fault all these arrogant assholes keep trying to murder him and then keep on not getting the loving message. He's almost a natural disaster except all you have to do is not poke him and you're good, Tomochika is in negative danger staying next to him for example. Or the scouter power girl being completely unharmed because she was polite and non-aggressive (her mental breakdown is completely self-inflicted).
The best reaction by the sages would be to simply track down his origin dimension and gather the power for two* interdimensional tickets back to Earth.
*Or three including Mokomoko

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
To be fair, it is a very difficult message to get. Instant Death magic is known in the setting, as are its counters. There are other individuals in the setting who use Instant Death Magic or an Instant Death power as their primary weapon, it is most emphatically not the same thing Yogiri does, and when they use it against someone who knows how their variant works... well, you can imagine the results.

So when these arrogant individuals encounter him and he says "I can kill you instantly, I'm absolutely serious, this is not what you think it is, YOU WILL DIE PERMANENTLY AND IRREVOCABLY AND THERE IS NO ESCAPING IT." they are going to start off with "Yeah, right" and then it goes to the demonstration. And unless Yogiri is willing to let you play around and experiment with him by feeding people to his power, or willing to let you hang around and observe what's going on, there's basically one way this eventually plays out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Guyver posted:

The new volume of Dahlia in Bloom's magic invention is a kotatsu. I don't get it. To be frank I have never understood it. Okay your feet and legs are warm but my back and shoulders are cold. Oh what's that? Just crawl under the table? These people with fire places, magically heated clothes and magic space heaters are losing their minds over a blanket on a space heater.

The B plot invention is Mono filament wire sword chucks which they could have spent more time on.

I mean, to be fair, when you don't have a well-insulated home a kotatsu-like heater isn't a bad idea. You have small, well-insulated table that drastically reduces the heating costs. In a modern home it doesn't make any sense and is just a fire hazard though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, to be fair, when you don't have a well-insulated home a kotatsu-like heater isn't a bad idea. You have small, well-insulated table that drastically reduces the heating costs. In a modern home it doesn't make any sense and is just a fire hazard though.

Even modern Japanese homes, the insulation is not great and its pretty common for most to have mini-split units for heating/AC, so a Kotatsu still makes sense. However, I have a friend who lives in Sapporo and a lot of modern construction is more western, so insulated walls and central heat, but that's largely because Hokkaido stays much colder for longer. Its still not common to have AC in Hokkaido since the average summer temps rarely break 80 Fahrenheit.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 17, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omobono posted:

For all his power, the only tool he has is Death's Scythe. It's not his fault all these arrogant assholes keep trying to murder him and then keep on not getting the loving message. He's almost a natural disaster except all you have to do is not poke him and you're good, Tomochika is in negative danger staying next to him for example. Or the scouter power girl being completely unharmed because she was polite and non-aggressive (her mental breakdown is completely self-inflicted).
The best reaction by the sages would be to simply track down his origin dimension and gather the power for two* interdimensional tickets back to Earth.
*Or three including Mokomoko

There's also his surrogate mom straight-up chucking him into a pond and yelling at him to go outside nerd, he's basically a normal, if somewhat emotionally subdued, kid as long as you're not trying to hurt him or anyone he cares about

maltesh posted:

To be fair, it is a very difficult message to get. Instant Death magic is known in the setting, as are its counters. There are other individuals in the setting who use Instant Death Magic or an Instant Death power as their primary weapon, it is most emphatically not the same thing Yogiri does, and when they use it against someone who knows how their variant works... well, you can imagine the results.

So when these arrogant individuals encounter him and he says "I can kill you instantly, I'm absolutely serious, this is not what you think it is, YOU WILL DIE PERMANENTLY AND IRREVOCABLY AND THERE IS NO ESCAPING IT." they are going to start off with "Yeah, right" and then it goes to the demonstration. And unless Yogiri is willing to let you play around and experiment with him by feeding people to his power, or willing to let you hang around and observe what's going on, there's basically one way this eventually plays out.

but yeah it's also so stupid a power that his enemies immediately start treating it like a stand battle trying to find the weakness or whatever and it's like no his power is just you fuckin die, that's it.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

maltesh posted:

There is an interval during the rise to power, after you transcend your mortal limits but before you begin to truly understand the universe, where your reason becomes disconnected from the realities of life and death and you believe them an obstacle to be overcome like any other. Metaphysicists call this The Cool Zone.

LN spoilers: and for a while in his time at the Federal Bureau of Control he's hounded by beings with the opposite problem: they want to die but they can't figure out how. Eventually a few knowledgeable people clue young Yogiri in to why all the faceless shadow beings have been stretching their crooked claws across his windows like so many dead tree branches, and he grants them oblivion.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 18, 2023