Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grabbed a 8 Pro. My current 6 pro's battery is shot. Was only holding a 25% all weekend and just now got up to 100% (after being plugged in for 95% of the day). Not sure what happened but it's not good and it scares me it will just fully break or something

My trade in was $350 but i expect it to lower once they get the phone and test it.
Still, even if they take off $100 or so, with the sale itself I'm happy with price.
Though not thrilled with a delivery date of 12/6-12/11

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Pixel 8 pro report, disabling 5g drastically increased my battery life, but I am in a no wifi/semi dead zone at work.

I think I'll end the workday with 30% more battery now.

It is impressive the service it gets compared to others cell phones though, most people can't get service at my desk.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Digital Jedi posted:

Grabbed a 8 Pro. My current 6 pro's battery is shot. Was only holding a 25% all weekend and just now got up to 100% (after being plugged in for 95% of the day). Not sure what happened but it's not good and it scares me it will just fully break or something

My trade in was $350 but i expect it to lower once they get the phone and test it.
Still, even if they take off $100 or so, with the sale itself I'm happy with price.
Though not thrilled with a delivery date of 12/6-12/11

They must be getting lots of orders. My delivery date is around Nov 20.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Apple is bringing RCS support to iOS next year:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/16/23964171/apple-iphone-rcs-support

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
finally actually ordered an 8 pro. delivery date is the 20th. excited to finally get my hands on this drat thing. 6pro trade in value was only 130 😭 so I might just keep it as a backup.

anyone have the pixel watch 2 yet and have any reviews? I have the first one and was thinking of switching.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

hark posted:

finally actually ordered an 8 pro. delivery date is the 20th. excited to finally get my hands on this drat thing. 6pro trade in value was only 130 😭 so I might just keep it as a backup.

anyone have the pixel watch 2 yet and have any reviews? I have the first one and was thinking of switching.

It's my first smart watch so I can't do any real comparisons, especially compared to the first. It's pretty snappy and I only have to charge once a day with AoD and Tilt to Wake both on. Which is pretty bad compared to other smart watches apparently, but not really an issue for me. The only issues I've had with it they've been patching out or are just google platform issues that the 1 would have too. It's annoying that you can't wirelessly charge it or use old chargers, but the pin charger goes pretty fast and snaps on.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

hark posted:

I have a pw 1 and pw 2, pw 2 is much snappier and can last beyond a day with always on display. Outside of that any new features are pretty limited.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Not going to post examples since this is more of a rant than a tech support question. Although if you do have any suggestions, let me know please!

The camera software on my S21 sucks. Sure, when it's focused it's serviceable. Other than telling me that the 'best shot' is one that crops out a quarter of the painting or building I'm trying to snap, and breaking the rule of thirds.

But it's blurry and out of focus like wearing someone else's prescription glasses way too often. Sometimes I can move away or towards what I want to shoot and it adjusts fine. But sometimes that menu I want to send to a pal is just not going to be readable. (There are a few other issues. Like I can step back and the wallpaper looks yellow-white, but moving forward it becomes blueish-white. But the focus is the main thing.)

One suggestion that helped is turning off 64MP. Only a bit however it definitely did that bit. But the only other suggestion I've gotten is to use night mode. I might try it, but it'd be inconvenient.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Try Lightroom's camera function. It has a free version that should cut out all the dumb Samsung processing and just shoot raw images.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Oh poo poo that's great, I never thought they'd do this!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I wish Android phones had Lidar. I'm mad jealous my friends can make 3D models of poo poo by moving their phones around!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You know I think I saw a flying pig this morning

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Knowing Apple, they'll make the RCS bubbles red text on a green background.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RCS messages on iOS will absolutely continue to be green, and even with the tech deficit gone the damage has already been done. The weird social pressure won't go away, kids (and adults sadly) will continue to get bullied over it. Apple is only doing this to try to stave off the EU forcing iMessage to be open, but they've already won the cultural perception war so very little will actually change regarding how the average person sees blue versus green bubbles.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Branch Nvidian posted:

RCS messages on iOS will absolutely continue to be green, and even with the tech deficit gone the damage has already been done. The weird social pressure won't go away, kids (and adults sadly) will continue to get bullied over it. Apple is only doing this to try to stave off the EU forcing iMessage to be open, but they've already won the cultural perception war so very little will actually change regarding how the average person sees blue versus green bubbles.

Humans are so weird

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Knowing Apple, they'll make the RCS bubbles red text on a green background.
Just green because why not I guess https://9to5mac.com/2023/11/16/apple-confirms-rcs-messages-will-have-green-bubbles/

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't know about how this differs in the EU.

Norway for instance is very much iPhone Central so I'm not even sure kids there know why some messages are green unless they've seen memes about it.

Poland on the other hand, if we're talking the lower and lower-middle economic the iPhone is definitely a status symbol. But that also means few people have them and if they want to exclude green message people then they'll be pretty much alone. Middle economic class and up, the iPhone isn't even the hot item necessarily. A top model Samsung is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Humans are so weird

We will attach social status to everything we can.

It's more of a sickness than just weird, really.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Branch Nvidian posted:

I still believe it was a real missed opportunity for Samsung. They should've rolled out an iMessage clone and made the iPhone users have the green bubbles. They already had the infrastructure in place. Then, just put the app up on the Play Store and let other Android brands get in on the iPhone bullying.

Instead, they let Google, of all companies, take the lead on messaging, which is an absolutely insane move given their abysmal track record with messaging apps and their ridiculous strategy centered around RCS. You'd think they'd learned their lesson when they made Play Music the official music player of the Galaxy S.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There are a few people in the iPhone thread here either commending the fact that it's staying green or wishing it was some ridiculous color/color combination to make people even more ostracized.

I guess they wouldn't get to feel superior to people if all the chat bubbles were the same color

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What's the reasoning if it's not just for jokes?

I'm not going into that thread.

e: I could see someone actually seriously thinking that the more ostrasized Android users become the sooner they'll switch to iPhones and that will benefit everyone.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I can give em the benefit of the doubt and say it's just for jokes but even then I don't get it?

I guess the only reason I can think of for wanting different colors if all the imessage features work is that not all of them would work, like the imessage games won't work.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Resdfru posted:

There are a few people in the iPhone thread here either commending the fact that it's staying green or wishing it was some ridiculous color/color combination to make people even more ostracized.

I guess they wouldn't get to feel superior to people if all the chat bubbles were the same color

If it wasn't for the fact that I've seen these same statements made, seemingly unironically, in other places like the MacRumors forums I'd just assume they were all being made as jokes here.

Bright Bart posted:

What's the reasoning if it's not just for jokes?

I'm not going into that thread.

e: I could see someone actually seriously thinking that the more ostrasized Android users become the sooner they'll switch to iPhones and that will benefit everyone.

Humans are deranged. The people who place emphasis on whether someone is using an iPhone or an Android device, to the point of allowing that determine who they will or won't associate with, even more so. So I fully expect the "green bubble stigma" to exist long after RCS implementation in iOS, as it clearly delineates to the iOS user whether someone is "poor" or not.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I'm pretty sure they were all joking, although one of the suggestions was teal which would be rad. I feel like the "bullying over green bubbles" poo poo is so overhyped, like kids eating tide pods or whatever, because I have nine nieces and nephews, none of which care about the bubble color. Most kids probably didn't care about the bubble color until techtubers and tech sites started rambling about it. My nieces and nephews are all much more interested with spamming temu links to everyone they know. I wasn't allowed to send a text message until after I was in college, so the thought of them sending temu and aliexpress links to my parents is well beyond bizarre. The same people who used money orders for eBay auctions until like 2006 now let their grandkids use their credit cards for roblox and I don't even know what is real anymore.

The refurbished Xperia 1 V I ordered last week arrived yesterday. Despite the packaging being a single piece of brown paper inside of a box, the phone looks flawless. I couldn't find the tiniest of surface scratches on the either of the glass pieces or the rails.

I'd already been up about 22 hours when it was delivered, so I didn't do much besides use Xperia Companion to wipe the phone and install Android 14 without having to go from 13 to 14. I wasn't able to successfully backup my messages or phone calls with the normal Google account backup stuff, for some reason. Says my messages are only 2.4 Kb and choosing "back up now" on the Pixel 3 didn't increase the size at all. Wound up using SMS Backup & Restore Pro to send them to Drive and then restored on the new phone.

At this point, I think I have tested out nearly everything except MicroSD support and bluetooth. The only issues I've encountered are:

1.) Sometimes, when the Gboard or numpad is open for PIN entry, the screen shifts everything so far upward that I can't see what I'm typing anymore. I restarted the phone and haven't been able to recreate the issue. Probably 21:9 weirdness with the lock screen.

2.) If I increase the brightness from about 90% to 91%, there's a slightly noticeable step up across the entire screen. It is smooth going from minimum brightness to about 90%, then once 91% hits, it flashes momentarily, and then it's smooth up to 100% again. I'm usually looking at ~30% brightness indoors and 100% outside in direct sunlight, so it isn't a big deal, but I did notice it looking for bugs.

3.) 3.5mm jack is not deep enough to support stereo microphones. Think this means you need to use this 3.5" LCD monitor's 3.5mm input for stereo microphone recording. Alternatively, and probably significantly cheaper, you could use a wireless stereo transmitter via USB-C.

4.) Not a bug, per se, but the LED when using the flashlight is pretty dinky due to the diffusor. The diffusor itself is actually quite nice and provides very even lighting across a reasonable distance. I was unable to create glare on glossy objects, whereas my bright Pixel 3 light creates a michael bay-sized lensflare on anything not as matte as a black hole. The downside is that it isn't focused, making it poor for general flashlight usage.

P. good so far. It's weird going from Android 11 (never updated my P3 to 12 which is probably why it didn't go into qualcomm edl mode) to Android 14. Even weirder is that, I guess since the phone is the green model, the default theme is YOSPOS. I've been using the Potus 3012 live wallpaper for over a decade, which I would link because it's incredible, but I see the developer has removed the $0.99 paid version and replaced it with a free one containing ads with no way to pay for the app anymore. I can download it since it's still on my account, but if I try to share the link, it takes me to a Google 404 page. Bummer. Anyone have cool live wallpaper recommendations? Am I dating myself by still being excited about them?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm pretty sure they were all joking, although one of the suggestions was teal which would be rad. I feel like the "bullying over green bubbles" poo poo is so overhyped, like kids eating tide pods or whatever, because I have nine nieces and nephews, none of which care about the bubble color. Most kids probably didn't care about the bubble color until techtubers and tech sites started rambling about it. My nieces and nephews are all much more interested with spamming temu links to everyone they know. I wasn't allowed to send a text message until after I was in college, so the thought of them sending temu and aliexpress links to my parents is well beyond bizarre. The same people who used money orders for eBay auctions until like 2006 now let their grandkids use their credit cards for roblox and I don't even know what is real anymore.

My only pushback on this is back in like 2014 or 2015 at my previous place of work, some of my coworkers literally bullied another coworker to the point that he caved and got an iPhone so they'd stop giving him constant poo poo for green bubbles. The other Android users I knew there literally couldn't be bothered to give a poo poo if it "broke the experience" for the iPhone users if someone tried to text them, but this one guy was able to be pressured over it. Was pretty hosed up.

quote:

1.) Sometimes, when the Gboard or numpad is open for PIN entry, the screen shifts everything so far upward that I can't see what I'm typing anymore. I restarted the phone and haven't been able to recreate the issue. Probably 21:9 weirdness with the lock screen.

2.) If I increase the brightness from about 90% to 91%, there's a slightly noticeable step up across the entire screen. It is smooth going from minimum brightness to about 90%, then once 91% hits, it flashes momentarily, and then it's smooth up to 100% again. I'm usually looking at ~30% brightness indoors and 100% outside in direct sunlight, so it isn't a big deal, but I did notice it looking for bugs.

3.) 3.5mm jack is not deep enough to support stereo microphones. Think this means you need to use this 3.5" LCD monitor's 3.5mm input for stereo microphone recording. Alternatively, and probably significantly cheaper, you could use a wireless stereo transmitter via USB-C.

4.) Not a bug, per se, but the LED when using the flashlight is pretty dinky due to the diffusor. The diffusor itself is actually quite nice and provides very even lighting across a reasonable distance. I was unable to create glare on glossy objects, whereas my bright Pixel 3 light creates a michael bay-sized lensflare on anything not as matte as a black hole. The downside is that it isn't focused, making it poor for general flashlight usage.

1. Never had that happen, but sometimes I do have an issue where the keyboard covers the username or password box and the app or page i'm on won't allow me to scroll up far enough to see it.

4. I have noticed this also. I wish the LED was bit more focused for flashlight use, but I understand this isn't the intended use as far as Sony is concerned.

quote:

Even weirder is that, I guess since the phone is the green model, the default theme is YOSPOS. [...] Am I dating myself by still being excited about them?

I like the green theme specifically because of the YOSPOS vibe it gives off. I normally just set a static background and select a color palette and run with it for a while. I don't think you're dating yourself by liking animated wallpapers though, some people just like them and that's fine.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Kids will literally bully other kids about their chat color so it is indeed dumb poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

younger kids/teens are far more likely to communicate in social apps like snapchat, so texting isn't top of mind.

it's the college aged to 30 somethings that care and don't wanna bother downloading another app. it's a fair point really bc whether the color of the text is green or poo poo brown, all that matters are that media sends properly and group chats don't gently caress up. i don't actually think it's a lot to ask that messaging "just work" but really it's apple's fault that it doesn't.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Branch Nvidian posted:

My only pushback on this is back in like 2014 or 2015 at my previous place of work, some of my coworkers literally bullied another coworker to the point that he caved and got an iPhone so they'd stop giving him constant poo poo for green bubbles. The other Android users I knew there literally couldn't be bothered to give a poo poo if it "broke the experience" for the iPhone users if someone tried to text them, but this one guy was able to be pressured over it. Was pretty hosed up.

That is pretty messed up. I can see caving into pressure if you're trying to share pics/videos with iMessage users on a regular basis because they're getting potato quality media on their end. On the Android end, I feel like I just don't get their images at all half the time. I do think it's weird to get texts that say things like "Mitch liked an image" from my iOS friends, but it's barely worth fussing about.

Shortly after I joined Fi, so probably late 2015, my boss really liked my Nexus 6P and decided to switch to it from an iPhone. He was hardcore Apple dating back to the 90s and the business I worked for was Mac-centric, so I didn't expect it to go too well. Back then, you couldn't simply go to a website and dereg your number from iMessage. I think you still had to call Apple at the time and they would have someone chastise you for trying to get out of the ecosystem. He had so many messages not coming through that he returned the phone and bought another iPhone in frustration two days later. The system works, I guess. :shrug:

quote:

1. Never had that happen, but sometimes I do have an issue where the keyboard covers the username or password box and the app or page i'm on won't allow me to scroll up far enough to see it.

It happened while I was trying to log into the Awful app, too, which is why I mentioned Gboard. That must be it. Still haven't been able to recreate the issue.

Multi-window is :discourse: with this aspect ratio. I'm used to only being able to have Awful, a couple Firefox tabs, and Messages open before Android closed something to make room with my paltry 4GB RAM, so being able to open 2 grouped apps is incredibly useful. Really like the side sense shortcut, too, though I wish I could keep it enabled while disabling the small white outline of the bar.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
With the apple RCS announcement, can Fi finally update their messages for web to support RCS? That would be great

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

That is pretty messed up. I can see caving into pressure if you're trying to share pics/videos with iMessage users on a regular basis because they're getting potato quality media on their end. On the Android end, I feel like I just don't get their images at all half the time. I do think it's weird to get texts that say things like "Mitch liked an image" from my iOS friends, but it's barely worth fussing about.

Shortly after I joined Fi, so probably late 2015, my boss really liked my Nexus 6P and decided to switch to it from an iPhone. He was hardcore Apple dating back to the 90s and the business I worked for was Mac-centric, so I didn't expect it to go too well. Back then, you couldn't simply go to a website and dereg your number from iMessage. I think you still had to call Apple at the time and they would have someone chastise you for trying to get out of the ecosystem. He had so many messages not coming through that he returned the phone and bought another iPhone in frustration two days later. The system works, I guess. :shrug:

It happened while I was trying to log into the Awful app, too, which is why I mentioned Gboard. That must be it. Still haven't been able to recreate the issue.

Multi-window is :discourse: with this aspect ratio. I'm used to only being able to have Awful, a couple Firefox tabs, and Messages open before Android closed something to make room with my paltry 4GB RAM, so being able to open 2 grouped apps is incredibly useful. Really like the side sense shortcut, too, though I wish I could keep it enabled while disabling the small white outline of the bar.

Now that you have your phone, if you decide to order a Devilcase send me a PM and I'll go in on a set with you.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There was an article a while back about some NBA guy that got bullied into getting an iPhone cause he was green bubbling the chat

But I agree with what someone else said, I don't care what color my chat is on someone else's screen Im just happy that I won't get horrid tiny blurry mms pics and videos from the iPhone people in my life who refuse to get another chat app but insist on sending everything through text

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm so glad we don't text over here and just use Signal and Whatsapp

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm so glad we don't text over here and just use Signal and Whatsapp

That's mostly true for the UK too, though only a handful of people use Signal in my contacts. WhatsApp is used by everyone except the over 65s in my experience.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I got stupid lucky and was able to get the majority of people that I text onto Signal.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Resdfru posted:

There was an article a while back about some NBA guy that got bullied into getting an iPhone cause he was green bubbling the chat

But I agree with what someone else said, I don't care what color my chat is on someone else's screen Im just happy that I won't get horrid tiny blurry mms pics and videos from the iPhone people in my life who refuse to get another chat app but insist on sending everything through text

this poo poo boggles my mind. if I was the person being bullied about this I would just think the people doing the bullying had loving brain damage and then not take them seriously.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The problem is that they and some of their peers take them seriously, which is enough.

It's all stupid zoomer poo poo, but it's a thing.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Regretful Humming posted:

I got stupid lucky and was able to get the majority of people that I text onto Signal.

them dropping support for sms really dented the amount of people I talk to on there, but it's still a decent amount. I'm used to using 2 apps to talk to people now though

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

hark posted:

this poo poo boggles my mind. if I was the person being bullied about this I would just think the people doing the bullying had loving brain damage and then not take them seriously.

I know plenty of military folk who use WhatsApp instead of Signal even for semi-important things. Not state secrets or even military things necessarily. But they talk one to another about everything on the app. You could probably glean a bunch by getting all the WA messages unencrypted from them as a lot.

Like one captain can tell his younger sister still in officers' school that he's going away for a few months. If enough do this you can suspect an exercise that wasn't announced, and even have an idea of which units are involved.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 17, 2023

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

hark posted:

When you hear stories like this you think it's playground bullying and taunting that's making people cave and buy an iPhone. In reality it's more of a "ok Tim stepped up so he's gonna be in charge of running the FY24 Veryimportantproject. Oh that's right you didn't know cause we set that up over an iMessage chat and didn't want to mess it up with your green bubbles. Maybe if you get an iPhone next time you'll be there to say you'd like to run it instead." Type of bullying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Who the hell is doing actual work conversations over text messages? That's a SecOPS nightmare.