Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I always thought that they should make more of a deal about the Iconians. Surely they were not the only ones who might have developed jump gates as a warp alternative?

They became the Ancients and moved to the Stargate universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The virgin warp drive user vs the chad jump gate afficionado.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

What's the space equivalent of burning fuel and rolling coal?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Grey Cat posted:

Those ships with four nacelles

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

alexandriao posted:

I mean the only existing remnant of the iconian gateway was utterly decimated. The iconians ruled an interstellar empire but likely from a single position (Why would you give the ability to open gateways to those that you rule?), so ofc the Federation was researching it but they never really got very far for whatever reason.

There were at least two locations where gateways could be opened and that means probably more.

Also didn't STO mine them for content like it did with everything else

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gutcruncher posted:

Those ships with four nacelles

The bottom ones are to really dig into subspace for traction. Fucks poo poo up something fierce but oh man the pickup is delicious

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Grey Cat posted:

Venting the warp plasma

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

Also didn't STO mine them for content like it did with everything else

The Iconians were the main plot of STO for like ten years. All the stories lead back to Iconians.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Also we finished the Voyager 2 parter S2/S3 where the Kazon dupe the crew into wanting to save Chakotay's baby (not baby) and literally lose the drat ship to the scrub rear end Kazon via a series of bad decisions and tactical errors. Voyager pulling away from the crew as they are abandoned on that caveman planet was a straight up pathetic moment for Janeway. There's no admirals around to hold a hearing but it seems to me that a captain would need to face a panel to keep their ship if they frickin lose it and only get it back via shoestring miracle series of events.

Also maybe Starfleet needs better boarding defense technique if they get steamrolled like that when boarded.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

according to that one TNG episode, any use of warp drive by the federation at all

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

punishedkissinger posted:

according to that one TNG episode, any use of warp drive by the federation at all

I remember that.

If you so much as breathe on us our entire planet will die.
"yeah okay"

I'd probably install more nacelles after that too.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 17, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's a few pages back but Avery Brooks went and taught acting after he left DS9 so he probably just viewed it as a job he had.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The Iconians were the main plot of STO for like ten years. All the stories lead back to Iconians.

And it was much better than whatever the current nonsense with Terran empire universe Better Borg is doing.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Venting the warp plasma

Oh that's why the Academy hated the Kolvoord Starburst

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I get pretty tired of the whole bajoran religious angle.

Here's proof your gods are just some weird alien dudes that kinda hang out in a wormhole.

Okay, but I still believe.

Okay, well, just don't force it on me.

Sorry you don't get a choice, the prophets made you their emissary.

We just chatted, also youre a terrorist that blew up a children's school.

That's like, just your interpretation, man.

e: Also lol at the toys

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 17, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Also quark speaking to them is all the proof you need that they're just some dudes who answer the doorbell if you ring it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

Here's proof your gods are just some weird alien dudes that kinda hang out in a wormhole.

ok but theyre aliens that are incredibly powerful and (theoretically) exist in four dimensions. that's pretty godlike right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Grey Cat posted:

Also quark speaking to them is all the proof you need that they're just some dudes who answer the doorbell if you ring it.

Ha, almost forgot about that. Good episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEBGpr4YYA

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
quark should really have been declared co-emissary

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

They became the Ancients and moved to the Stargate universe.

So,

So it's known in Stargate that humans did not originate from Earth. The galaxy was seeded by ancients.

And the Ancients did move from another Galaxy.

So,,, there's wiggle room there.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ok but theyre aliens that are incredibly powerful and (theoretically) exist in four dimensions. that's pretty godlike right?

Yeah but at that point, Q is a god, the crystal entity is a god.

Yes the prophets are powerful but they straight up say that the orbs the bajorans are obessed with were just to gather knowledge of the universe.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

E: quote is not edit

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

quark should really have been declared co-emissary

I agree. Kira would be loving pissed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Would be funny if while Winn was lamenting that she never heard the prophets voices, Quark had overheard and interjected "Don't worry, you're not missing anything, I met with them a couple of years ago and they're jerks"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Would be funny if while Winn was lamenting that she never heard the prophets voices, Quark had overheard and interjected "Don't worry, you're not missing anything, I met with them a couple of years ago and they're jerks"

This would have been a much better reason to turn to the wraiths rather than ducat having the best dick in the world

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah but at that point, Q is a god, the crystal entity is a god.

Yes the prophets are powerful but they straight up say that the orbs the bajorans are obessed with were just to gather knowledge of the universe.

i mean if you're gonna say the crystalline entity is a god you might as well just say starships are gods

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean if you're gonna say the crystalline entity is a god you might as well just say starships are gods

Makes me think of that tng episode where the federation has that outpost hidden in the rocks to study some developing people and they are discovered.
Oops, all gods.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

Makes me think of that tng episode where the federation has that outpost hidden in the rocks to study some developing people and they are discovered.
Oops, all gods.

Duck blind is a good idea until your android goes a little nuts and blasts the holo-emitters.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

But hey its all good after the captain selects one of the kids onboard to be executed by a firing squad as a demonstration.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Der Kyhe posted:

But hey its all good after the captain selects one of the kids onboard to be executed by a firing squad as a demonstration.

Did the kid step on a flower bed?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Grey Cat posted:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

:lol:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

also what exactly is the deal with the prophets experiencing time non-linearly? they seem to be surprised by poo poo on multiple occasions Like that time Sisko goes to invade Cardassia and they tell him to stay on Bajor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They experience time not in a line, but still in an order, and that hadn't happened yet.

...or something, lol idfk

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

also what exactly is the deal with the prophets experiencing time non-linearly? they seem to be surprised by poo poo on multiple occasions Like that time Sisko goes to invade Cardassia and they tell him to stay on Bajor.

Nah, they just weren't paying attention.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

sweet geek swag posted:

Nah, they just weren't paying attention.

We experience time non-linearly, and can experience any and all points in time.
But also we're high as gently caress constantly.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Kai Karen

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

kind of wonder what the crystalline entity looks like when its done, it's looks like its building itself a huge nerve system or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

GolfHole posted:

kind of wonder what the crystalline entity looks like when its done, it's looks like its building itself a huge nerve system or something