Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just out from seeing Thanksgiving. If "Eli Roth does Scream" is something that sounds good to you, that's more or less exactly what it is. For what it's worth, I enjoyed it, and it has some real loving gnarly kills and gore effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I did a 90s horror list on Letterboxd a while back and when you really boil it down to the best stuff, it looks pretty drat good. We're talking Candyman, Scream, Tremors, Cemetery Man, Braindead, Child's Play 2, In the Mouth of Madness, Silence of the Lambs, Exorcist III, Ravenous, Bram Stoker's Dracula, People Under the Stairs, Demon Knight, Event Horizon, Audition, and the list goes on.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Philthy posted:

I always come back to watching it every few years. It's a pretty decent flick, and I like the 90s marilyn manson/nin music video special effects vibe.

Yeah, I'll put it on whenever it pops up on a streaming service. I love the stop-motion skeeviness of the opening credits. Never managed to catch up with the sequel, though. Worth a watch?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Somehow I forget about the insane editing between scenes in Halloween: Curse until I watch clips from it. Is that the first horror movie to embrace that short of thing? It's so out of place.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Eli Roth sucks + hates women + is Zionist that’s a no-see for your boy.

but maybe I’ll go see It’s A Wonderful Knife, Cassandra Naud from Influencer is in it alongside the icon Katharine Isabelle literally playing a character named “Gale Prescott” (a little on-the-nose, bro)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Don't accuse Jewish people of being Zionist. What the christ.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If he made public statements about that stuff then it's fair game to criticize him for it. I don't know if he did or not, personally.

Probably not good material for the horror thread regardless.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
His lovely attitudes towards women are enough for me, especially after he spent his early career insisting he was a feminist.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

If he made public statements about that stuff then it's fair game to criticize him for it. I don't know if he did or not, personally.

He did/does regularly, often in overtly Islamophobic ways, as well as calling for the doxxing of Jews like myself who disagree with him.

Anyway my point was only that he sux and even if he’s made a good movie I can’t bring myself to see it, so what else is on the docket this month! This thread is where I get my updates

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

Don't accuse Jewish people of being Zionist. What the christ.

He most definitely is and proudly so.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Just out from seeing Thanksgiving. If "Eli Roth does Scream" is something that sounds good to you, that's more or less exactly what it is. For what it's worth, I enjoyed it, and it has some real loving gnarly kills and gore effects.

I got my tickets for Wednesday. I've been hoping for this since seeing Grindhouse. Now it's waiting for Rob Zombie to do Werewolf Women of the SS and it better have Nicholas Cage in it, or Edgar Wright to do Don't!

sad question
May 30, 2020

I recently watched Habit (1995) on impulse because the description sounded kinda interesting. I am glad because while it is unmistakably low budget and lacking in some ways (some of the performances) I really vibed with it. It's about an alcoholic who meets a woman who may/not be a vampire/succubus. There's something about the movie that connected with me. If you have tolerance for some rough edges I recommend it. If you can relate to the themes presented it's a rather impressive film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VsgTZSHcs

sad question fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 17, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I did not know that about Eli Roth

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I did not know that about Eli Roth

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyMhsGZvv3M/

Would like to just call him a typical dumb Hollywood liberal but no, he is a proud propagandist just like Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman and whomever else.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eli Roth sucks but I’m gonna see thanksgiving bc I’m in it for the kills

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If you just want the kills, there's some real good ones. Good 'n' goopy too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yea. Slashers are back baaaybee. Let’s go!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

filmcynic posted:

Yeah, I'll put it on whenever it pops up on a streaming service. I love the stop-motion skeeviness of the opening credits. Never managed to catch up with the sequel, though. Worth a watch?

I didn't care for it. Skip it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I want a good slasher but I don’t jive with Roth. That Aftershock movie he starred in and and had a story credit on was both very bad and rapey.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought he was fine in Basterds but I do wish they had gotten Sandler as was rumored.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyMhsGZvv3M/

Would like to just call him a typical dumb Hollywood liberal but no, he is a proud propagandist just like Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman and whomever else.

Holy moley at that Instagram post

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I thought he was fine in Basterds but I do wish they had gotten Sandler as was rumored.

Big ol fuckin same

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess the deal with the "Bear Jew" is he's ironically diminutive but yeah I can't imagine ever being like "wow I'm really glad Eli Roth got cast in this film, he really enriched it"
I feel like it was fair to assume the goon itt calling him a zionist wasn't just doing it cuz "he's jewish". Thats a weird place to jump to these days.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I will say though, devoid of context it's not a great look.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

i dunno if I see someone say like, "x is a sex pest" I'm going to think maybe the poster had a reason for making that claim instead of just automatically assuming they were being racist or something

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not like genuine, actual zionism hasn't been in the news lately.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Right, of all the times to mention particular directors are zionists, the past month or so has made it very easy to tell who is and isn't. Mostly because they'll loudly tell you right now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Martman posted:

i dunno if I see someone say like, "x is a sex pest" I'm going to think maybe the poster had a reason for making that claim instead of just automatically assuming they were being racist or something

Yeah but "sex pest" isn't also a (barely) dog whistle used by bigots. I get it, and I didn't assume they were an antisemite based only on calling Eli Roth a zionist but I get why it could come across that way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean sure it can be use in a scummy way but like, this entire conversation just kinda demonstrates how discussions around this stuff has been weaponized as well.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
We're missing the point that Green Inferno sucks and so do the Hostels

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dont know if i like any eli roth movie except for the thanksgiving trailer. So thats about one of two reasons I want to see it.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I think we should all give Eli Roth the benefit of the doubt, if there's one thing he's famously demonstrated, it's his sense of subtlety and nuance.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean sure it can be use in a scummy way but like, this entire conversation just kinda demonstrates how discussions around this stuff has been weaponized as well.

I mean sure but I'm coming from the perspective of having Jewish family who have had swastikas graffitied on their house. It was weaponized by Nazis a long time ago and continues to be weaponized by Nazis.

I didn't assume Pretzel Rod Serling was a Nazi. But personally I probably wouldn't throw around a word that Nazis also like to throw around without making sure there's adequate context. Personally I'd have probably said something like "supports Israel's war crimes" or something.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Cabin Fever was okay I guess

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I watched Tomie: Another Face tonight and I think it might be better than the first one.
It's a three part anthology made for TV a year after the first movie. The anthology format works a whole lot better for Tomie. It matches her whole seduce, abuse, get murdered cycle.
This one sticks to the manga version of Tomie instead of whatever they were trying to do with the first movie. I liked that they tried to adapt the idea, but it didn't really work. Another Face is low budget and constrained by TV standards but feels like Tomie.
Every segment is another man for Tomie to ruin, instead of the weird mystery the first movie tried.
It doesn't get really going until the second segment. Tomie is actively threatening now and there are a couple minor spooks.
The third segment ties everything together, gives some lore on Tomie and has a pretty good ending.
The actress who plays Tomie this time isn't as good as the first movie, but she does well enough. I actually thought she did pretty well with different aged Tomies.
If you want an adaptation of the manga, I'd say start here instead of the first film.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I didn't assume Pretzel Rod Serling was a Nazi. But personally I probably wouldn't throw around a word that Nazis also like to throw around without making sure there's adequate context. Personally I'd have probably said something like "supports Israel's war crimes" or something.

definitely fair criticism. didn’t mean to derail, and I think if I’d been clearer in what I meant it wouldn’t have, so that’s noted!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
No but seriously cant someone do a information post on what movies have been made that are based on Ito is it only the Tomie films that have been made?

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

No but seriously cant someone do a information post on what movies have been made that are based on Ito is it only the Tomie films that have been made?

For live action film there's 9 Tomies, Uzumaki, Kakashi and Tomio.
I remember not liking Uzumaki but that was before I read the manga.
I haven't seen Kakashi or Tomio. I'm not even really clear what Tomio is, I think it's a script written by Junji Ito and is either a male Tomie or somehow related to Ju-on?
There's some made for TV anthology stuff as well that I'm not familiar with at all.
They made an anime of Gyo and a couple anthology collections. The Netflix show was OK, I've heard the other anime anthology is bad.
They've been making an anime version of Uzumaki for at least five years now. It's looking very promising and might actually come out soon.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Eli Roth made a Borderlands movie that was so good they actually had to put inside a Vault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

JUNJI ITO MOVIE EFFORT-POST

1998 - Tomie - IMDB: - IMDB: 5.2
Following some trauma in her past that has since been repressed, a young woman tries to recover her memories with the help of a psychiatrist.

Adapts the story: Tomie
Should You Watch This One: Probably.

--

1999 - Tomie: Another Face - IMDB: 5
A demon takes the form of an adult female human who drives men wild, then is repeatedly killed and resurrected.

Should You Watch This One: Sure, why not.

--

2000 - Oshikiri – The Strange Story a.k.a. Partition - IMDB: 6.3
Oshikiri is a loner who has bad memories of his childhood and his grandfather, a brilliant scientist. He returns to his grandfathers mansion to try to remember what really happened to him. He finds a portal to a parallel universe, which his grandfather had originally discovered. From this portal comes his doppelganger dressed in a cloak and gas mask, who kills his fellow students with an ancient axe.

Adapts the story: Oshikiri – The Strange Story
Should You Watch This One: Sure.

--

2000 - Long Dream - IMDB: 6.2
Strange things lurk in dreams. For Mukoda Tetsurou and the doctors tending to him, things have begun to get stranger as Mukoda begins having longer and longer dreams every night. Can one dream infinity in the span of a night?

Adapts the story: The Long Dream
Should You Watch This One: Yeah.

--

2000 - Uzumaki - IMDB: 6.1
The inhabitants of a small Japanese town become increasingly obsessed with and tormented by spirals.

Adapts the story: Uzumaki
Should You Watch This One: Yeah OK.

--

2000 - Tomie: Replay - IMDB: 5.3
A young girl looking through her father's notes finds something written about the last experiment he worked on before he went insane. Everything looks ordinary until the name "Tomie" begins appearing throughout the notebook.

Should You Watch This One: Yes.

--

2001 - Kakashi a.k.a. Scarecrow - IMDB: 5.4
The search for her vanished brother Tsuyoshi leads Kaoru to the lonesome village Kozukata in the Japanese back-land. The locals react repelling to her, which the exception of the Chinese girl Sally. As her car breaks down Kaoru is trapped in the village; will she have to repay for something she has done in the past?

Adapts the story: Scarecrows
Should You Watch This One: Sure, why not.

--

2001 - Tomie: Re-Birth - IMDB: 5.4
An art student disappears after murdering his model. Now his friends and family are being haunted by the resurrected woman, Tomie.

Should You Watch This One: Maybe

--

2002 - Tomie: Forbidden Fruit - IMDB: 5.6
Tomie terrorizes an artistically inclined young girl and her widowed father, slowly integrating herself into the family.

Should You Watch This One: Eh, it was OK?

--

2004 - The Groaning Drain (lost film) - IMDB: n/a
This is apparently a lost film? Who the hell knows, there's not a lot of info on the movie adaptation.

Adapts the story: The Groaning Drain
Should You Watch This One: You can't.

--

2004 - Marronnier - IMDB: 3.7
Marino loves her Marronnier doll that was unfortunately made by a demented genius who uses a diabolical machine to turn human beings into wax dolls. Marronnier's assistant, Numai, is even more insane and takes a fancy to Marino. He begins to stalk her, and when that isn't enough, he takes Marino and her friends prisoner, plunging them into a dreamworld of living dolls and satin wedding gowns, hacked body parts and bondage! In his underground lair, Numai's girl-dolls come to life and start killing everyone!

Adapts the story: Marronnier
Should You Watch This One: Naw.

--

2005 - Tomie: Beginning - IMDB: 4.7
When a beautiful young girl transfers to a new high school, the students become possessed and soon realize that behind this beauty is an unexplainable evil.

--

2005 - Tomie: Revenge - IMDB: 3.8
A young woman named Kazue runs over a naked girl on a mountain road. When she stops to help, the girl runs off into an old abandoned house in the middle of the woods.

--

2007 - Tomie vs. Tomie - IMDB: 4.6
A young, depressed man is trying to move on with his life after his girlfriend's bizarre death. One day, a mysterious woman notices him at work and convinces his coworkers to introduce him to her.

Should You Watch This One: lol, eh.

--

2011 - Tomie Unlimited - IMDB: 4.7
A photography student's life takes a turn for the worse when her dead sister is welcomed back into the family home.

Should You Watch This One: Yeah maybe.

--

2011 - Tomio - IMDB: 6.5
A young couple, Tomio and Madoka, decide to get married after graduate school. Madoka convinces Tomio to visit a fortune teller to have their future foretold. Tomio is immediately attracted to the seductive psychic and returns to her late one night. When he comes to his senses and rejects her out of guilt and tries to leave, she puts a terrifying curse on him. Now, Tomio roams the streets trying to, literally, keep his head on straight!

Adapts the story: Tomio: Red Turtleneck

--

2012 - Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack - IMDB: 5.5
The friends Kaori, Erika and Aki are on a vacation to celebrate their upcoming graduation, when suddenly an infestation of mysterious walking fish forces them to reevaluate everything they care about in order to stay alive.

Adapts the story: Gyo

--

2018 - Junji Ito Collection - IMDB: 6.6
A collection of animated horror stories based on the works of Japanese artist Junji Ito.

Adapts the story: Souichi's Convenient Curse, A Doll's Hellish Burial, Fashion Model, Long Dream, The Intersection's Pretty Boy, Slug Girl, Shivers, House of the Marionettes, Further Tales of Oshikiri, Mannequin Teachers, The Neighbor's Window, Lingering Farewell, Second-hand Record, The Town Without Streets, My Dear Ancestors, The Circus is Here, Painter, Blood-Bubble Bushes, Glyceride, The Bridge, Occult Transfer Student, Scarecrows, Splatter Film, Rumors
Should You Watch This One: I liked it more than the rest of the internet did, but your mileage may vary.

--

2023 - Junji Ito: Maniac - IMDB: 6
From the mind of horror manga maestro Junji Ito comes a spine-tingling selection of some of his most bizarre, disturbing and terrifying tales.

Adapts the story: Tomie: Photo, The Bizarre Hikizuri Siblings: The Seance, Unendurable Labyrinth, Bullied, Where the Sandman Lives, The Long Hair in the Attic, The Hanging Balloons, Four x Four Walls, Intruder, Ice Cream Truck, Tomb Town, Library Vision, Headless Statue, The Story of the Mysterious Tunnel, Mold, Layers of Fear, The Thing That Drifted Ashore, Ally, Whispering Woman, Soichi's Beloved Pet
Should You Watch This One: Yeah OK.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 18, 2023