Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If it's going to be plugged in and not carried around, aliexpress is also pretty good at weird tiny amplifiers that run off 19v laptop power supplies like

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005679806256.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001006151300.html

or anything similar, combined with a pair of passive speakers from goodwill, yard sales etc if you have the space for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Crab as a holder is rad (beefy version of the little pencil holder) I suspect the speaker might not be, though there seem to be 2 versions. I love most though that that listing offers it in color: Crab

There’s at least a few other colors

If only there was a link.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I love my JBL charge 4 bt speaker. it's loud as gently caress and has great bass for how small it is.

also those amplifiers look interesting! I might snag one of those.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

his master's butt

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If only there was a link.

You kids :rolleyes:

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $14.16 51% Off | Crab Wireless Speaker with Mobile Phone Holder Stereo Sound Effect Bluetooth Speaker Portable Mini Subwoofer Music Player
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msb4wxK

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $14.96 1% Off | Power Battery Model 14500 Speaker Phone Holder Excellent Audio Quality Play Time 2h Crab Speaker Case 4 Colors
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMbU55S

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I bought some steel rod from Ali recently and although it is slightly out of true it was only 10% the price of a local source :cool:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $14.16 51% Off | Crab Wireless Speaker with Mobile Phone Holder Stereo Sound Effect Bluetooth Speaker Portable Mini Subwoofer Music Player
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msb4wxK

Color: Crab

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

PokeJoe posted:

I bought some steel rod from Ali recently and although it is slightly out of true it was only 10% the price of a local source :cool:

Goddamit post a LINK

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

didn't know rod was such a hot item

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804855023250.html

Great packaging: The metric round rod is packed in a beautiful box, which can be used as a gift for your friends and family.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mine did not come in a beautiful box. it was in standard bubble mailer like 95% of ali items

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Inceltown posted:

Color: Crab

That’s at least half the reason I posted it

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
:yeeclaw:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I bet they repurposed it from some failed crab toy. I am thinking that lying duck lamp was also a reused from a rubber duck toy.

One day, somebody will turn an unpopular dildo into a speaker.

Or a magnetic floating dildo light.

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

One day, somebody will turn an unpopular dildo into a speaker.
I guess you haven't been following recent us politics

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005215046991.html

pretty sure this is just random bits of unsold hardware the seller had left over

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

r u ready to WALK posted:

pretty sure this is just random bits of unsold hardware the seller had left over

If I was organizing a birthday party for a Transformers loving kid.

E:
Thinking about getting this one, I dunno how good it is but I needs some style in my appliances.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004272647797.html

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 17, 2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

r u ready to WALK posted:

That looked awesome until I recognized the XLR on top and realized the scale.

It tiny.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the specs are also complete nonsense so please don't complain to me if it turns out it's just decorative with no actual speaker inside it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

i bought some steel flat bar and round from aliexpress a couple years and it welded like absolute dogshit :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i bought some steel flat bar and round from aliexpress a couple years and it welded like absolute dogshit :(

Whoda thunk!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Are you sure it's a problem with the metal?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you sure it's a problem with the metal?

no :smith:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

He was so good in The Brave Little Toaster!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Featuring: The-Need-To-Add-More-poo poo-To-Be-Eligible-For-Discount Search collection!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005348511238.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003332888877.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006006905671.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004810926331.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005372800009.html

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

I've kinda wanted something like this for camping because I have an irrational fear of bugs crawling into my ears when I'm asleep. although id want some kind of mesh or something instead of plastic because I bet that poo poo is very loud when you move at all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Probly very easy to make from cloth scraps.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just use ear plugs.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

wa27 posted:

Just use ear plugs.

You’d want to be able to hear if something bigger, like a bear, is also trying to crawl in your ear

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hey soldering goon. My kid broke the USB-C port of my fan. I brought some replacement USBC ports I am going to solder back to the fan.

Do I just need to a cheap soldering kit from ali with high sales? I don't want to go crazy on it. Every time the thread talks about Soldering I don't understand any of the jibber jabber.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Depending on the exact USB port, it might be extremely challenging, and require a couple hundo in decent soldering gear

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I posted quite a while back about a cordless rechargeable soldering iron. It has been extremely useful for connecting a couple of wires in hard to reach places or installing radios.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hey soldering goon. My kid broke the USB-C port of my fan. I brought some replacement USBC ports I am going to solder back to the fan.

Do I just need to a cheap soldering kit from ali with high sales? I don't want to go crazy on it. Every time the thread talks about Soldering I don't understand any of the jibber jabber.

I literally just spent the past half hour trying to get a broken USB-C port off a circuit board. I had specialized tools and was doing this with a through hole soldered port. I couldn't get it out without damaging other parts.

USB-C is the devil's port when it comes to the actual hardware connections. Soldering them is annoying in optimal conditions. A kid breaking one off means that the teeny-tiny pads are likely pulled.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is going to be a shitton more work than you think.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
I ordered some bits for a new bike: cranks, cassette, shifter and derailer. All new 12 speed shimano XT. About $200 in total. Would cost about $500 from a local company. It all came today, very well packed and all brand new and genuine. I still wouldnt buy wheels from Aliexpress...

Heres the store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/911815352?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.105.4a6e1802OIo1i8

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Okay I open the fan, this poo poo is more complicated than I thought.

You have a controller board and the plastic button and the button label.

Three cables connected to the board, but the usbc port is part of the board. I thought its going to just a red and a black wires.

Removing that that usbc port seem to be too much for my none skill

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty standard looking. Almost friendly.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

anyone ever got fake bearings before?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

hark posted:

anyone ever got fake bearings before?

holy poo poo that rules

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PokeJoe posted:

didn't know rod was such a hot item

You've never heard of a hot rod?
:dadjoke:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Soldering is an art. Especially for small finicky jobs, if you want to do it right (edit: without getting pissed off constantly) you'll need more than just a soldering iron. A decent soldering station is the minimum I would recommend to anyone who doesn't want to end up shooting themself in the face (a gun, a base holder, and a sponge), some good solder (lead-tin solder is the best and easiest to use but it contains lead), flux (which you can think of like a glue that makes copper really attractive to molten solder), and a copper wick or a solder pump to remove the excess solder from the original connection.

This kit's "set-4" looks like it has the majority of what you need and a bonus air station that could be just as handy as the soldering gun itself for stuff like this, and relatively cheap.

You'd still need flux and a copper wick. Flux can come in the form of a syringe, which is the easiest to apply, but is also sold in flat metal pans that you'd have to use a toothpick or a small brush to apply to the parts being soldered or desoldered. You'd also need copper wick. And maybe a small USB desk fan to stop the fumes from being drawn directly into your face as the heat of your body causes the air around you to rise above you.

I have an old Hakko 936 soldering station that I've been using for nearly 20 years, and a cheapo $40 Aliexpress hot air rework station for stuff that a soldering iron isn't applicable for. The kit mentioned above might burst into flames for all I know, but so far my Aliexpress hot air station hasn't burned down my house yet, so that's nice.

I will say however that if your eyes glazed over reading this post, then just buy a new fan, because you're not going to fix the old one.

Edit: Added an important qualification.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Okay I open the fan, this poo poo is more complicated than I thought.

You have a controller board and the plastic button and the button label.

Three cables connected to the board, but the usbc port is part of the board. I thought its going to just a red and a black wires.

Removing that that usbc port seem to be too much for my none skill

This is a job for a hot air rework station more than a soldering iron, although I would be using both. Apply flux to the end of the wick to soak up the solder from the six board connectors with the tip of the iron to get them as loose as possible, but you've also got four legs that are soldered into the board itself. Those four legs would require you to use one of the wider hot air nozzles to fan enough hot air around that you simultaneously loosen all four legs without melting anything else, and then, surprise, both of your hands are already full, now you need another hand to hold the tweezers to pry the jack off (lol) of the board entirely. And there's no way that you can use the holes on the underside of the board to help push out the four legs because there's another USB jack in the way, which would usually be handy in a pinch.

I guess this is where I recommend buying some octopus arms (aka helping hands).

But now that you've thoroughly melted the old jack into a pile of black goo and bent metal, you have do to it all over again, in reverse! Without melting anything! This is where I would advise you to tin the connections of the new components first, after having cleaned and desoldered, flux'd, and re-tinned fully the connections you'll be applying the new jack to, and then CAREFULLY use the air gun to melt all of the connections on simultaneously without blowing it off of the board entirely. Or at the very least, get the legs in first, and then once it's stable on the board, flux and tin the six connectors as they lie flat on the board. Get creative with alligator clips if you find yourself trying to figure out how to clamp it in place without the airflow of the gun blowing it around.

Unfortunately, unless my eyes deceive me, you've purchased the wrong USB-C jack. This looks like the one you want but there are probably a dozen or more that LOOK like the one you need but might be slightly off in the spacing of the legs or some other small measurement. So I would say order a dozen of those and get ready to ruin eleven of them before you get one on there correctly, assuming the fitment is correct. But also, soldering a component onto a board without melting anything, and soldering a component to a board wherien all of the connections are good, do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Even if it looks good, there's a really high probability one of the connections didn't work, and plugging the cable will show that you didn't fix anything. How are you going to figure out which connection isn't good? Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use it? I've had to replace microUSB jacks on dashcams and my skill level after doing this as a hobbiest for 20 years was just barely enough to get there without ruining about five of the new jacks along the way, and I ran into this problem constantly. The simple solution was to use the hot air rework station while the jack was plugged into a cable that was powered at the other end. I knew all of the connections were good when both A.) it powered on and stayed on, and B.) the jack stayed on the board after unplugging and reconnecting the cable enough times to tell me it wasn't going anywhere.

So I guess what I'm saying here is: good luck. Please come back and post your results though. But again, if you completely checked-out at any point while reading this, just quit while you're ahead and just buy a new fan. But if you want to invest in a new skill that you'll be able to use for the rest of your life, knowing how to solder is actually pretty gratifying.

edit: typos n poo poo

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 17, 2023