Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

xtothez posted:

Spoiler tagged for anyone watching the preview tonight:

Ya, alright, I'll buy your damned tactical dreadnought armour miniatures of the Dark Angel variety, GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If I was going to pick a space marine chapter it would be Crimson Fists, because I like the Ultarmarines color scheme, but I don't want to come off as too vanilla.

Oddly enough they're a successor to the imperial fists though, hah.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My CSM warband is a custom one, but I've also been building up some regular original 9 legions squads to accompany them. I don't collect loyalist SMs outside of a few models for Wrath and Glory, but they're all part of the Iron Champions which I think is the best of both worlds for "this is a real chapter," and "but there is less than 1 paragraph of fluff on them so do whatever."

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lostconfused posted:

If I was going to pick a space marine chapter it would be Crimson Fists, because I like the Ultarmarines color scheme, but I don't want to come off as too vanilla.

Oddly enough they're a successor to the imperial fists though, hah.

If I were ever to play loyalists I would probably do Crimson Fists; as a hispanic person I appreciate the representation and I hope their old special characters make a comeback

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rantmo posted:

I'm doing a custom Blood Angels successor chapter that was a reluctant Second Founding chapter so they didn't move too far away from Baal and kept ties with the Blood Angels so that I can justify using the Epic Heroes without having to pretend they're the Thomas Rikers of Dante or Mephiston or whoever.

yeah but it's an opportunity to do your own takes on them. dracula mephiston. bloodweiser mascot corbulo. fat cherub sanguinor.

Nazzadan posted:

My CSM warband is a custom one, but I've also been building up some regular original 9 legions squads to accompany them. I don't collect loyalist SMs outside of a few models for Wrath and Glory, but they're all part of the Iron Champions which I think is the best of both worlds for "this is a real chapter," and "but there is less than 1 paragraph of fluff on them so do whatever."

the cool thing about CSM vs SM is that they're much more prone to have armies that are just a bunch of guys left over, wearing whatever crap they can scrounge up. mixed warbands of pack rats are canon

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah but it's an opportunity to do your own takes on them. dracula mephiston.

But doctor, Mephiston is a Dracula.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah but it's an opportunity to do your own takes on them. dracula mephiston. bloodweiser mascot corbulo. fat cherub sanguinor.

the cool thing about CSM vs SM is that they're much more prone to have armies that are just a bunch of guys left over, wearing whatever crap they can scrounge up. mixed warbands of pack rats are canon

I always preferred the idea of renegades like the Astral Claws, marines that were not specifically chaos-ed but more like 'Nah, gently caress this, we're going solo' and then running a renegade life - I know the Claws ended up all in on chaos after getting smashed, which is a shame.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Is there any reason to play an obscure successor chapter like Flesh Tearers or a Dark Angels successor? Seems like there's lots of cool fluff opportunities and the ability to choose a better paint scheme, but are they just using their chapters rules without access to the special characters or what?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
cant you use just use whatever chapters rules you want

paint ur marines 2 be cool and then use rules that r cool

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Flesh Tearers have one Epic Hero, so if you like that one character that would be the reason for that specific chapter at least. The nice thing is that you can use whatever detachment you want, regardless of paint scheme so Epic Heroes are the only rules consideration in play.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Ashcans posted:

I always preferred the idea of renegades like the Astral Claws, marines that were not specifically chaos-ed but more like 'Nah, gently caress this, we're going solo' and then running a renegade life - I know the Claws ended up all in on chaos after getting smashed, which is a shame.

I like the idea of it, but I also like the idea that trying to turn your back on the Imperium without falling under the spell of the warp gods in the process is walking a very fine tightrope, and if you pull it off the Imperium will just tell everyone you turned to chaos anyway.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I like the idea of it, but I also like the idea that trying to turn your back on the Imperium without falling under the spell of the warp gods in the process is walking a very fine tightrope, and if you pull it off the Imperium will just tell everyone you turned to chaos anyway.

The main problem is resources. You basically have to build your own little empire and get a forgeworld on your side to be able to have repair and resupply for armor, weapons, ships, etc etc. That ties you down to one location, which means the Imperium will eventually roll up with a much larger force than you can bring to bear, forcing you to flee to the one place they can't follow - the Eye of Terror.

The other option is to become pirates. You have the same problem with resources, but you rely on mobility and raids to keep your heads above water, and you're basically prey for any bigger fish that comes along. And even then you need safe harbours to repair ship damage.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 17, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's why the key part is to get lost in some corner of the galaxy that Imperium forgot about, or already conquered and then forgot about again.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

not sure about those helmets

I like them a lot better than old hooded heads.

Also seems to be a new weapon option with those swords.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

That's why the key part is to get lost in some corner of the galaxy that Imperium forgot about, or already conquered and then forgot about again.

Turns out there was s renegade chapter living in Terra's garbage reclamation continent all this time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Is there any reason to play an obscure successor chapter like Flesh Tearers or a Dark Angels successor? Seems like there's lots of cool fluff opportunities and the ability to choose a better paint scheme, but are they just using their chapters rules without access to the special characters or what?

The answer to this has somewhat varied over the different editions. In some editions they would just use the parent chapter's rules, so if you liked a set of rules but not the paint scheme they were a way to accomodate you. Some editions, like 9th, had traits that you could customize/choose for your faction, so you could have your successor chapter use customized traits without it being confusing and still able to use the force with the standard parent chapter rules in other games without it being confusing. In the current edition there are no specific faction traits or rules, just detachment rules and characters locked to certain factions. So theoretically if you wanted to play your White Scars as an artillery heavy ranged fighting force and run your Imperial Fists as a fast moving bike focused army you can.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

The main problem is resources. You basically have to build your own little empire and get a forgeworld on your side to be able to have repair and resupply for armor, weapons, ships, etc etc. That ties you down to one location, which means the Imperium will eventually roll up with a much larger force than you can bring to bear, forcing you to flee to the one place they can't follow - the Eye of Terror.

The other option is to become pirates. You have the same problem with resources, but you rely on mobility and raids to keep your heads above water, and you're basically prey for any bigger fish that comes along. And even then you need safe harbours to repair ship damage.

You can always go the Ashen Claws route. They're non-Chaos renegade space marines who supply the Carcharodons with aspirants from their planet in exchange for a cut of the Carcharodons' supply drops, which the Carcharodons get from the Adeptus Mechanicus on the down-low in exchange for archaotech the Carcharodons pass them on the down low, which they hunt down during their patrols of the galactic border. So they don't need a forge world and the whole supply chain is done through multiple layers of cut-outs.

It is a bit convoluted, though. Might have trouble setting it up.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Z the IVth posted:

Turns out there was s renegade chapter living in Terra's garbage reclamation continent all this time.

WALL-E would make a decent inspiration for a Space Marine color scheme.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Does Holy Terra even have continents, really? We think of continents as land masses separated by oceans, and Holy Terra doesn't have that second thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tarquinn posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I do it because it anchors the stuff I am doing in the canon. And as I like the 40k universe, that's a big part of the hobby for me.

Sure, you can do your Dicklords of the Emprah custom chapter, your plastic dudesmen, your rules, but it does feel off to me. :shrug:

I like it when people make their own subfaction/whatever because I enjoy seeing what people do with their pwn little corner of the universe

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

You can also have really weird poo poo happen to you like the Firehawks

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rantmo posted:

But doctor, Mephiston is a Dracula.

all i am saying is he could be even more dracula.

honestly i just want someone to make a corbulo with a beer helmet

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well now I want to see that too.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

Yeah that's the plan, I've mentioned it before but I really just want to collect Chaos. I've got like 1500 points of my main warband but the long term goal is just little mini 500 point batches of other legions and just plug and play as needed (no mixed squads though, the squads will all be uniformly a single scheme). Held off on ordering it but when those christmas boxes actually release I might cruise around the local shops and see if I can nab a WE one as a side faction. I just love trim I guess :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I channeled my own daddy issues when creating my own custom chapter it’s weird as hell

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Professor Shark posted:

I channeled my own daddy issues when creating my own custom chapter it’s weird as hell

"The aspirants in our chapter are treated just like we were when we first met our primarch. Yes, sometimes our veterans yell at and mock the initiates for not holding the lumens properly when working on our chapters most sacred Dreadnought sarcophagi, and yes we put our lhosticks out on their flesh when they complain about the lack nutrient paste they receive. But you cannot argue with results!"

" Yes remembrancer, it's true that those who fail to learn the lessons of the chapter are simply beaten over and over again to the point of near death, but the Emperor requires strong sons and our methodology works"

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I mean, so did more than a few of the Primarchs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Space marines are just generational trauma as military doctrine

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Space marines are just generational trauma as military doctrine

Yeah, but only textually.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Championship reveal stream starts in 10 minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

First reveal, a new model for Orikan the Diviner.
No word on Trazyn getting a new one as well.
Yet...

Then there's a new Narrative expansion, Crusade: Pariah Nexus.

Then the Dark Angels doesn't get just get new Terminators, but a new Asmodai model too.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2023

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
pew pew pew

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

New Codex roadmap dropped, after the CSM one we have Genestealer, Sisters and [REDACTED].

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

i have Mydudes.txt myself

it's The Worst Goddamned Chaos Cult Ever. it's a led by a demon prince who was an ogryn who saw someone turn into a chaos spawn and had a transcendent religious moment. you can be something even crueler and meaner and not even have to think at all? unfortunately for him, ogryn are still pretty resistant to chaos corruption and he turned out to be the right amount of cruel, strong, and self-centered to make up for not being too bright. word got around about the chaos lord brute who aspired to spawndom, and attracted the sort of fanatic, erratic, and utterly ambitionless weirdos who would want to turn into spawn - and that turned out to be the perfect force for him to lead. after an untold amount of time erratically crushing the innocent, the last gift he got from a chaos god was princedom.

so now he's pissed, and just smart enough to have an agenda, but the problem is he's not entirely sure which god it was. and his followers are all the most useless mutated idiots you've ever seen. plus now he has new headaches like a bunch of galaxy brain cranks who think that failing at failing is the new path to princedom, or various promises to explain or investigate his situation. at least they're likely to go off and get themselves killed!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

New Codex roadmap dropped, after the CSM one we have Genestealer, Sisters and [REDACTED].

Is that all for summer 2024?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And 30k got the slightly cooler Assault Marines with the new Mk IV Assault Squad.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah, that was just the Summer 2024 slot in this case.

WarCom pages are up, with pictures:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/18/world-championships-preview-orikan-divines-a-crusade-filled-future-in-the-pariah-nexus/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/18/world-championships-preview-asmodai-demands-to-know-which-codexes-are-coming-next/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/18/world-championships-preview-deathwing-knights-deep-strike-from-the-shadows/

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

We finally get a plastic Tauros Venator.
For Necromunda. :v:

The new Kill Team is Night Lord. It's another upgrade kit for the CSM box. Which is a thing long, long overdue I imagine.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 18, 2023

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

That dude looks amazing!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Looks like the Deathwing Knight kit will "only" have options for Maces and Calibanite Swords, rather than supporting three squad types as the current one does. I would guess that means there will be a second kit for regular Deathwing with the command options, or an upgrade frame for the multipart terminators.

Asmodai looks sick, I like that he's finally got his sword back from his classic art, even if it's not currently an option for standard Chaplains (maybe Interogator Chaplains will get the option if they get their own datasheet) And they went all in on his Darkwing Duck smokescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

The new Kill Team is Night Lord. It's another upgrade kit for the CSM box. Which is a thing long, long overdue I imagine.

???

what do you mean that it's overdue?