Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You know when you watch one of those videos of browser popularity over time and you wonder what happened when suddenly one browser craters and another one skyrockets? Well 5 years from now when you're watching the bit where Chrome nosedives and Firefox surges, this was that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
good

Firefox needs all the help it can get and I ain’t switching to safari for my windows/linux machine

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Worried Firefox/Mozilla can be nudged into following suit by Google pulling their default search engine payout.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 17, 2023

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

good

Firefox needs all the help it can get and I ain’t switching to safari for my windows/linux machine

The thing I wonder on that front - does Mozilla (the foundation?) still get a bunch of money from Google? I don't ask that question in the sense of questioning Mozilla, and the work on Firefox. Rather, I kind of fear Google doing a 'trapped animal' thing, and lashing out.

As much as I might occasionally gripe and moan about UX stuff I don't like, or whatever, there is absolutely no other browser I trust as much as Firefox, and it needs to survive.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think that the Mozilla Foundation has problems with most of their funding coming from Google Search default and spending a lot of time, money and attention on things that are not Firefox, like AI.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Moz devs publicly committed to keeping the WebRequest API (the important thing) active. In fact they're going to put it in their version of Manifest-V3-for-Firefox so it will have the best of both worlds.

magimix posted:

The thing I wonder on that front - does Mozilla (the foundation?) still get a bunch of money from Google? I don't ask that question in the sense of questioning Mozilla, and the work on Firefox. Rather, I kind of fear Google doing a 'trapped animal' thing, and lashing out.

Mozilla the corporation gets money from Google for the default search placement. Mozilla the foundation owns 100% of Mozilla the corporation. I believe the corporation and the foundation are not exactly the same bank account -- if you donate to the foundation your money does not actually go to Firefox development. It goes to "supporting the open web" or something.

There's some bad sides to this structure -- IMO they've done some dumb poo poo because Mozilla the corporation acts like, well, a corporation, rather than an open source software foundation. And it's kinda annoying that I can't actively donate directly to Firefox rather than Mozilla foundation's quixotic projects.

But one of the good parts is that I think it insulates the biggest decision makers, who are paid by the foundation. They wouldn't go along with a threat like that because it would lead to revolt by the foundation supporters.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ultraklystron posted:

Worried Firefox/Mozilla can be nudged into following suit by Google pulling their default search engine payout.

google wants mozilla to keep limping along so they technically don't have a monopoly on browser engines, avoiding the antitrust mess that microsoft got into back in the day

the status quo where there's technically competition but in practice everyone uses chromium (firefox market share is under 3% at this point) is ideal for them

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, this is an easy switch to Firefox. Their icon is nicer too. Just need Mozilla email now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

You know when you watch one of those videos of browser popularity over time and you wonder what happened when suddenly one browser craters and another one skyrockets? Well 5 years from now when you're watching the bit where Chrome nosedives and Firefox surges, this was that bit.

Ahh i came to this thread after reading the ublock news somewhere else to post exactly this point verbatim haha

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just wish Opera GX, the browser for gamers, wasn’t caught up in this

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Welp back to Firefox I guess. Edge was fine but I ain’t losing my YouTube blocker.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The only 2 times in history that browser majority market share has flipped has been from a monopoly abusing their dominant position to push their browser:
1. IE took over from Netscape when MS built it into windows and did everything possible to push it via both technical and dirty trick means
2. Chrome took over from IE (and Firefox) when Google put up infinite pop-up ads telling people to use chrome every time they searched the internet

(Firefox peaked at 30% back in the day. And that was when MS had completely hosed IE, it was actively hateful to use, and you'd get a virus from activex or flash every 5 minutes. If over 50% of people were still using IE in 2007-9, then technical superiority doesn't matter.)

So yeah I don't think this will be the start or the end for chrome. And I don't think Google is scared enough to play games with trying to hold funding hostage (plus, MS might step in to push Bing). At most it pushes firefox's share on desktop a bit. Most people browse on phones now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Klyith posted:

2. Chrome took over from IE (and Firefox) when Google put up infinite pop-up ads telling people to use chrome every time they searched the internet

Don't forget the bundling. They bundled Chrome with a bunch of different stuff so it would get installed by default. Stuff like Adobe Reader, Java, even RealPlayer

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Randalor posted:

But I was wondering if uBlock could be made to fit the V3 stuff, not if it could stay on after the V2 stuff was ripped out.

Like this! So basically, "the guy who made uBlock is already working on a V3 version, it just doesnt have all the features (yet)"? Oh, okay.

No, that is not the case. The V3 version will never have the same feature-set as the V2 version and this is by design by Google. Browser extensions are not programs in the traditional sense, they are not meant to be able execute arbitrary code, they are restricted by whatever the browser they run in allows them to do. In this particular situation we have that the mechanisms which exist in V2, the ones that allow uBlock to function the way it currently does, are simply not present in V3.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
From up here on my Vivaldi+uBlock high horse, I see all other browsers as number two, or lower

But for real, we all use this combo right? Never any ads or blank screens. I had to sit through two unskippable full length ones (and then a skippable one) on my bedroom tv just now. :smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think it's funny that Opera and Brave get to fight for "worst crypto infested browser based on chromium"

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Inept posted:

Don't forget the bundling. They bundled Chrome with a bunch of different stuff so it would get installed by default. Stuff like Adobe Reader, Java, even RealPlayer

There was also real world advertising. It was kinda wild to see billboards for a browser.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Inept posted:

Flash! Didn't it have inbuilt flash?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

down1nit posted:

From up here on my Vivaldi+uBlock high horse, I see all other browsers as number two, or lower

But for real, we all use this combo right? Never any ads or blank screens. I had to sit through two unskippable full length ones (and then a skippable one) on my bedroom tv just now. :smith:

Your chromium-based horse don't look all that high to me :shrug:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Vivaldeez nuts

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Xakura posted:

The high horse in question:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Xakura posted:

cool people have horses made of geckos

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Vivaldi is pretty good and I seriously considered switching to it from Firefox during one of Firefox's periodic foot-shooting incidents. Still use it as my secondary browser.

The best thing about Vivaldi: if you like or get used to their UI, they will never ever change it on you.

Generic Monk posted:

Flash! Didn't it have inbuilt flash?

Chrome had Flash bundled into it, but Inept is saying that when you installed some other piece of software it would come with Chrome.

Chrome's built-in not-Adobe flash was a pretty big point of superiority though. I tend to forget about that -- long before Chrome came along I'd settled on just not having flash in my main (firefox) browser. And if I actually wanted to see a flash thing, I opened just that one site in IE (then Chrome once it came along). This was really great for two reasons: I didn't get a virus from adobe's fail security, and I didn't see flash ads. Back in the mid-00s before adblock existed, that plus blocking doubleclick in a hosts file was pretty dang good.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I mostly switched to Chrome because Firefox had this long period of being very bloated and having so much memory leaks it would barely last a few hours.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a lot of goodwill towards the browsers that eventually managed to kill off adobe flash. Safari was a big one for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you could run safari on windows I’d totally switch to it but I need my stuff synced over both windows and Mac OS

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Beve Stuscemi posted:

If you could run safari on windows I’d totally switch to it but I need my stuff synced over both windows and Mac OS

There was a time, but Apple apparently decided it wasn’t worth it anymore.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sagacity posted:

I mostly switched to Chrome because Firefox had this long period of being very bloated and having so much memory leaks it would barely last a few hours.

Yeah I vaguely remember versions of Firefox that were absolutely horrible in that regard which is why I used Chrome for a while. I decided to give FF another chance maybe 2 years ago when I got a new machine and it's been an overall pleasant experience though.

The only device I have that I still use Chrome on is my Chromebook and if it loses its ad blocking extensions the thing will be basically useless to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Firefox finally let you pinch to zoom? The way it worked before it would increase the page scaling (same as ctrl +), rather than give you a closer view.

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
Both Android and Linux (with touchscreen) versions of Firefox support pinch to zoom, but on Linux it may require setting an environment variable for touch controls to behave as expected. I assume it does on Windows too but I'm not gonna install Windows on my laptop to find out

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

If you're talking about things like bookmarks and icloud keychain passwords you can use icloud for Windows- https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud-windows/what-is-icloud-for-windows-icwd3c1cca5e/icloud

Bookmarks can sync with Firefox/Chrome/Edge, but for now only Chrome and Edge can also do the password sync.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Rinkles posted:

Does Firefox finally let you pinch to zoom? The way it worked before it would increase the page scaling (same as ctrl +), rather than give you a closer view.

On Mac at least it works just like you're zooming in on a photo. Doesn't do any layout changing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Welp back to Firefox I guess. Edge was fine but I ain’t losing my YouTube blocker.
If Microsoft wanted to, they're the only Chromium-consumer that I could see myself expecting to do WebRequests-in-ManifestV3 properly.
They're already doing several things not found in any other Chromium-based offering, such as a full virtual machine environment launched from a single right-click, called Application Guard, and in theory they have the technical expertise to do what Mozilla is doing with Firefox.

I don't think they'll do it, though (in fact, I believe they've already announced that they won't?) - because they're a corporation that relies, and will increasingly rely, on people not being able to block ads properly.
Just look at how full of ads Windows is, now that it's no longer their primary product (which, predictably, is their butt offering).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the news pages for the Microsoft stuff is just full of the most egregious clickbait crap and it’s downright embarrassing.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blocking ads on Chrome on Android is a real pain since you can't install ad blocking extensions so I've been trying out different browsers on my Pixel. Firefox, Edge, and surprisingly enough my favorite so far is Samsung's simply named Samsung Internet. There's a big button on the settings menu called "Ad Blockers" and you get this screen:

Works great. Also manages to be easier on my battery than Chrome. Maybe from not having to constantly display 50 ads on every page, idk.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
As I mentioned upthread, I used to use AdGuard for Android which creates a local VPN that routes all your traffic. This way, you can get adblocking for a lot of stuff on Android, including Chrome. It really hogs battery though (on the level of having to charge my phone in the early evening vs. having battery left when going to bed).

I've switched to using NextDNS which works less well but still blocks enough ads to be very useful. The benefit of using a hosted DNS provider versus something like a self-hosted PiHole is that my ads are still blocked when I'm not on my WiFi at home, but the battery doesn't get drained like with AdGuard for Android.

It still feels weird to pay for a service like this so any suggestions for setting up PiHole in such a way that all mobile devices in the family can use it (even from mobile or on other WiFi networks) is welcome. Well, a way that doesn't expose it to randos, I mean.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 19, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I have Firefox installed on my laptop and there's this stupid Pocket bullshit whenever I open it, are they smuggling ads into Firefox too?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Vivaldeez nuts

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shipon posted:

I have Firefox installed on my laptop and there's this stupid Pocket bullshit whenever I open it, are they smuggling ads into Firefox too?

I think it's limited to the "recommended by pocket" section on the new tab page. Just disable it in about :config and type pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pocket is a Mozilla thing so it’s an ad but not the same as Adsense or RAID shadow legends. Easily disabled, easily ignored.