Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Being able to swap between melee and ranged is very nice in open world. That’s part of why I don’t care for Ele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ele gets 4 sets of weapon skills they're fine

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Eles can still have a second weapon set, they're just locked to one in combat. Most of the time it's fine, and you can switch to a ranged backup when you know a fight's horribly anti-melee. But there are a few instances where it sucks to be a melee main. The biggest (for me) is those bounties that force you to be out of range that you don't find out about until you're already in combat.

I will continue to advocate for making conjures closer to engie kits so that they can always be a reliable alternative without forcing you out of your main set.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Truga posted:

yeah d/d catalyst is great, it's basically core d/d ele with an extra button and self-quickness if you want it

can this use Celestial gear decently?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

CODChimera posted:

More than decently. Ele is one of the professions that makes good use out of every stat. And catalyst is especially great because one of its mechanics is to increase all its gear stats with a stacking multiplier buff.

I've been using this build lately that's been trashing almost everything in PvE save for the really anti-melee group bosses. It's a revisit of a build I tooled around with prior to relics that leveraged Lightning Rod and Runes of the Aristocracy (gain might stacks when applying weakness) to keep max might almost all the time. They just added a new relic (Midnight King) that fills the void of losing that rune set and then some (AoE might stacks and fury when disabling). The build link doesn't have the relic because the build editor hasn't been updated with the new batch of relics yet. I personally use berserker/diviner mix, but celestial would be just as good, sacrificing a bit of damage for a lot of survivability.

On top of D/D having no shortage of AoE, disables, and built in evades, I'm able to give myself and allies lots of offensive boons and some support, while effortlessly keeping my own stacks of Persisting Flames and Elemental Empowerment at max. Every attunement has a use, but you don't need to follow a strict rotation. Hell, you can probably button mash and have success, but figuring out effect combos/chains, like air orb + earth 3 for a daze finisher, makes it all the sweeter.

I'm able to take on large mixed mob groups quickly and comfortably. Even solo HoT hero point champs in zero defensive gear.

https://i.imgur.com/MDEto7e.mp4
Here's one with all celestial trinkets (berserker armor+weapons), still tearing through charr veterans like paper. Notice my hp hitting 22k with max stacks of EE. Full cele can probably get over 25k plus extra toughness and self heal.

https://i.imgur.com/aAJBBqx.mp4

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Has anyone ever figured out how to put those glider combat skills on other keys? I wish we could drag/drop the various skills where we want them on the toolbars.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

CODChimera posted:

This particular build was already touched on, but not every Elementalist build can make good use of Celestial as a warning. Realistically due to how damage scales in this game and with its stat distribution, Celestial is only a option really for condition damage focused builds who can self buff and want to focus on longevity. Several Elementalist builds fulfill this, but every profession has at least one build that can use Celestial gear decently these days.

If you can't self boon very well/at all and want to be tanky solo, Trailblazer's is your better option.

If you're power, lol, lmao, sorry it's full zerkers for you (bar a few exceptions that can squeeze in varying amounts of Dragon's).

Meeko fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 17, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Today's new weapon blog: Guardian pistols

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/armed-with-dual-pistols-guardians-rain-down-bullets-of-justice/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Meeko posted:

This particular build was already touched on, but not every Elementalist build can make good use of Celestial as a warning. Realistically due to how damage scales in this game and with its stat distribution, Celestial is only a option really for condition damage focused builds who can self buff and want to focus on longevity. Several Elementalist builds fulfill this, but every profession has at least one build that can use Celestial gear decently these days.

If you can't self boon very well/at all and want to be tanky solo, Trailblazer's is your better option.

If you're power, lol, lmao, sorry it's full zerkers for you (bar a few exceptions that can squeeze in varying amounts of Dragon's).

I do celestial armor and then grab berserker/viper weapons depending on the weapons. Lots of hybrid damage like guardian torch, etc. It's about a billion times better to run celestial than berserker in most content because dying is loving annoying and celestial makes you very tanky.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm closing in on finishing my legendary runes (well 6 anyway) and "all" I need is like 200 of each T6 crafting mat. I'm farming Eternal Ice and volatile magic for trophy shipments but I know I'll get to the point where I want to buy poo poo to finish, so does anyone know of a spreadsheet that can tell me if buying T6 directly is better than buying and upgrading T5? I've found a few for making profit doing that, but I'm not really looking for profit since I'll be using the T6 ones. Right now the only profit to be made is totems and venom sacs, so obviously those would be better to upgrade too. But a few others are showing as losing money but that might just be because of TP tax.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So a lot of the sites offer two values, profit to sell and profit to use. You just care about profit to use

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Not as exciting as the previous weapons but undoubtedly a new weapon of choice for any sort of condition build.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr. Neutron posted:

Not as exciting as the previous weapons but undoubtedly a new weapon of choice for any sort of condition build.

Yeah it'll replace my need to want Scepter to be good and not annoying.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like Engineer

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

tarbrush posted:

So a lot of the sites offer two values, profit to sell and profit to use. You just care about profit to use

Ah sure enough I found one, thanks. Looks like most are better off crafting.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What's the best way to farm Research Notes? I saw were going to need a magnitude of them for legendary armor.

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What's the best way to farm Research Notes? I saw were going to need a magnitude of them for legendary armor.

Turning crafted items to notes. Which item varies by trading post prices. Buy a bunch of materials and craft hundreds of helms or whatever.

https://fast.farming-community.eu/salvaging/costs-per-research-note

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Look on fast farming for whatever the cheapest per note item is to salvage. Research notes are such a terrible currency.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Fast Farming has an updated list but it's usually the fine mithril earrings. Sometimes depending on TP prices making mithril armor with cheap inscriptions comes out ahead.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MajorBonnet posted:

Look on fast farming for whatever the cheapest per note item is to salvage. Research notes are such a terrible currency.

I acknowledge the need for them as they provide a handy price floor for everything.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

tarbrush posted:

I acknowledge the need for them as they provide a handy price floor for everything.

Yeah, I just hate the tedium involved in getting a bunch. I could bulk buy items to salvage instead, I guess. I wish I could just toss a bunch of mats at a research bench and come back later for a stack of notes.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Quote is not edit

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

MajorBonnet posted:

Yeah, I just hate the tedium involved in getting a bunch. I could bulk buy items to salvage instead, I guess. I wish I could just toss a bunch of mats at a research bench and come back later for a stack of notes.

You can at least salvage items you craft directly now. There's a checkbox for it, doesn't even require a kit.

It's still an awful currency to interact with but the qol has gotten much better from the days of manually clicking a stack of applesauce 250 times

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I get the idea of needing people to use their crafting mats instead of hoarding/driving prices down but I feel like there are better ways, or they could let you salvage anything for notes with the trade off being you don't get any mats at all. They could even limit it to Unidentified gear or something. I just think it sucks how it works (or doesn't) now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't think I have ever used mythril ore since launch, maybe they should do something about max-level gear being salvaged into useless things.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

More stupid questions: does "strikes" refer to the autoattack/first skills for a weapon?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

S.J. posted:

More stupid questions: does "strikes" refer to the autoattack/first skills for a weapon?

Usually means physical hits from any attack, as opposed to condition damage. Which trait / skill / effect / whatever specifically?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ptroll posted:

Usually means physical hits from any attack, as opposed to condition damage. Which trait / skill / effect / whatever specifically?

Was watching some overview videos and I just kept hearing people referring to various traits, etc as enhancing or applying to strikes. If it's talking about physical attacks though that makes sense in context.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

S.J. posted:

Was watching some overview videos and I just kept hearing people referring to various traits, etc as enhancing or applying to strikes. If it's talking about physical attacks though that makes sense in context.

anything that isn't a condi is a strike (mostly)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cool. Thanks!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Saraiguma posted:

anything that isn't a condi is a strike (mostly)

Specifically all base damage from any attack is "Strike". So an Elementalist fireball is all Strike damage and the Burn condition it applies is not.

A stab from a Necro dagger is Strike but the bleed is not.

So you can't boost condi damage through Strike buffs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I don't think I have ever used mythril ore since launch, maybe they should do something about max-level gear being salvaged into useless things.

Mithril ore has spiked up in price whenever research notes have spiked in demand since it's easy to just make tens of thousands of mithril bars into notes, up to 45c these days from 20c a year ago.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

If it's damage that scales with power, it's 'strike' damage (99.9% of the time)

Speaking of power, here's how much my cata can stack :getin:

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 18, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Apparently last patch made it so birthday cake won't overwrite ascended food buffs.

yay.

But they instead made it so it doesn't overwrite any food buffs, including malnourished or itself.

boo.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 18, 2023

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Apparently last patch made it so birthday cake won't overwrite ascended food buffs.

yay.

But they instead made it so it doesn't overwrite any food buffs, including malnourished or itself.

boo.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

yay.

boo.

I love arenanet

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What build has the most brain dead, easy, slow, but effective rotation? I'm playing condi virtuoso right now and it's ok but it's a lot of buttons to remember and press quickly and I'm getting killed a lot. I could probably get it down eventually but I would kind of like to play something more chill.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Probably herald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

yay.

boo.

Ohhhhh, I was going nuts trying to figure out what was happening.