Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've watched the first episode of the Brawn documentary series, so far I'd say it's worth it. It's not a technical overview of the car or how they managed to shift from a Honda to a Mercedes engine in about six weeks, you should probably read a Newey book for that sort of thing. It's a good reminder of what happened that year and the discussions that were taking place, it's more of a team biography. Lots of Our Jense which is always good, and Keanu is a decent host. It's not Drive to Survive fake suspense and is more watchable as a result.

Still nobody has managed to do a simple visual explainer of what is so good about a double diffuser, this show is no different. It more or less states that as the reason why Brawn were quick but doesn't try to explain why Toyota and Williams weren't also quick, but it's not a race-by-race summary of the season so that's OK really. I don't know where all the HD footage has come from since as far as I know F1 was really slow to move to HD, maybe it's a fancy upscaler powered by ~*AI*~.

The 2009 front wings look ridiculous because they are so wide, and the narrow rear wings also look stupid. I can only overlook them because they're on the Brawn, but I don't know how front wings weren't falling off more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I've been deep in work for the past couple weeks and am still catching up on the thread, but I just want to applaud everyone for the top tier nuclear takes that have been posted over the past 20ish pages. Truly stunning work, you're all putting Motorsport.com to shame. Well done everyone.

This race is turning out to be peak F1, and it's why I love this poo poo sport so much.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
Dirty_Vegas_Manholes_closeup_HD.avi

https://youtu.be/qfBBc_Go0QA?si=TXZcEc1xEiUplFwK

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Simplex posted:

It's pretty funny to me that the track lighting is so intense that it drowns out all the lighting on the strip, thereby negating any purpose of running the race down the strip in the first place.

it's meant to look good from a drone or a helicopter

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

GOATse_al.jpg

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

this is unprecedented there were no manholes in my simulations

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Still nobody has managed to do a simple visual explainer of what is so good about a double diffuser, this show is no different. It more or less states that as the reason why Brawn were quick but doesn't try to explain why Toyota and Williams weren't also quick, but it's not a race-by-race summary of the season so that's OK really. I don't know where all the HD footage has come from since as far as I know F1 was really slow to move to HD, maybe it's a fancy upscaler powered by ~*AI*~.

The Williams and Toyota were quick. Brawn had an edge because the Toyota power unit wasn't anywhere near as good as the Mercedes, and Toyota had one foot out the door while Williams was Williams.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's the circuit's F-duct you see, it's where the dicknose enters

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Simplex posted:

The Williams and Toyota were quick. Brawn had an edge because the Toyota power unit wasn't anywhere near as good as the Mercedes, and Toyota had one foot out the door while Williams was Williams.

I don't think any of us believed the Toyotas would sniff the podium that year.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Sin city page baby!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Ants posted:

Still nobody has managed to do a simple visual explainer of what is so good about a double diffuser, this show is no different.
I still don't know exactly "how" it works but the best way I had somebody explain it to an idiot (me) was:
There where limits on the (visible) diffuser's dimensions/location like everything, limiting the amount of air was able to be pushed past the diffuser in a useful way for downforce, the rest went out past the car being wasted.
Brawn and the others found places in the bodywork that where not visible and/or within the boundary box to deflect some of the air otherwise going into the "wasted" direction past a secondary piece of aero acting like a secondary diffuser, which was technically not part of the primary one.
So if using made up numbers let's say that 30% of the air coming out behind the rear part of the car was able to be led past the working area off the diffuser; they redirected a bunch of the other 70% into a secondary working area leading to a total increase.

Maybe I'm telling you nothing new with this, but that is how I managed to sorta understand it, and it's probably missing a ton of nuance. But seems like you can make a nice visual with that info for a show. :v:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Honestly, this is pretty drat entertaining considering the season was wrapped up eons ago

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I watched episode 1 last night after FP1 exploded. I thought it was fun so far, too much Keanu, way too much Horner

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

too much Keanu

no such thing

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I could have sworn we were promised a gundam on Yuki’s car but I guess it was just that his race suit looks like Amuro’s and they did a one off gunpla they aren’t selling?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Thanks Ants posted:

I've watched the first episode of the Brawn documentary series, so far I'd say it's worth it. It's not a technical overview of the car or how they managed to shift from a Honda to a Mercedes engine in about six weeks, you should probably read a Newey book for that sort of thing. It's a good reminder of what happened that year and the discussions that were taking place, it's more of a team biography. Lots of Our Jense which is always good, and Keanu is a decent host. It's not Drive to Survive fake suspense and is more watchable as a result.

The 2009 front wings look ridiculous because they are so wide, and the narrow rear wings also look stupid. I can only overlook them because they're on the Brawn, but I don't know how front wings weren't falling off more often.

this is a crude sketch of my limited understanding OP

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also watched episode 1 of the Brawn doc which covers the background through the first race of the season.

Richard Branson is looking pretty rough compared to the other old guys. Too much sun.

That Honda Earth livery was awful. Don’t know how Brawn lucked into the perfect livery.

Agree that they didn’t explain the double diffuser at all, just showed a bunch of swoopy lines in fancy 3D.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Thanks Ants posted:

Give us the fairytale ending of Sainz qualifying P1, taking his grid drop, then coming through to win while Toto cries in the corner and apologises to Lewis for the car being bad.

Bold of you to think there will be an overtake on Sunday. They will finish in the exact order they start the race in, except for Piastri, who McLaren will undercut with Lando, who qualified one spot behind him.

acidx fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 17, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
is that real?

i regret so much if this is possible

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ilmucche posted:

This is the dumbest sport in the world and I can't stop watching it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is that real?

it's very real and iirc they put an F1 helmet on it at some point for the current unpleasantness

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Rhopunzel posted:

this is close enough really

1x diffuser = good, 2x diffuser = more good

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They should have put Fred Vasseur's big bald head on the sphere as a consolation prize for having his car wrecked

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah that's pretty good and way better than my wall of text.
It's this, with the air for the second lane coming from making side entrance/exits somewhere else in the bodywork

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is that real?

It is, and it owns. It's so drat stupid I love it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Not the track surface, but Big John has tried to murder someone at the corkscrew at laguna

Also apparently toto is who said carlos must have a penalty

https://x.com/Germaansbloed/status/1725499294226989357?s=20

Wow I didn't know Toto was such a coward

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is that real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYRxkyoShKw

Yeah, imagine having 1.2 million LEDs at your disposal and this is what you do with it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How much electricity does that thing use to be visible in daylight

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

They should have put Fred Vasseur's big bald head on the sphere as a consolation prize for having his car wrecked

Lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanks Ants posted:

why did they put it in an office park

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

why did they put it in an office park

This is the United States, every city is an office park

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
This is where its crazy how small a world it is, I actually work for the company that bussed in all the people working crowd control and they had been on for 15 hours up to that point so letting the fans stay truly wasnt an option

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

rpop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYRxkyoShKw

Yeah, imagine having 1.2 million LEDs at your disposal and this is what you do with it

it owns actually

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

This is where its crazy how small a world it is, I actually work for the company that bussed in all the people working crowd control and they had been on for 15 hours up to that point so letting the fans stay truly wasnt an option

yet somehow this has never happened at other circuits where fp1 is red flagged

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Thanks Ants posted:

well supposedly it lost like 90 million dollars bottom line in it's first quarter of operations so the answer is "a ton"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/i/status/1725402321423945987

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This is becoming a critique of US infrastructure and I’m very sad.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
add a street circuit in DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://youtu.be/CUhstIdFUrg?si=TGSwbH4BloMly-1m