Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Extra row of tits posted:

Xbox one? (The original one)

...as in the X-Box 1?

credburn fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know what are these rods at the end of umbrellas? One broke one mine and I want to replace it (it has some value to me beyond $5 or whatever a new one costs)

The phone wouldn't focus but you can't really see anything, it's just a whine featureless stick that broke where it was attached. It's very stiff but obviously does flex a bit when under tension on the umbrella.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Has anyone made a web based business? I'm looking for info on budgets, how to's, pain in the rear end stuff I don't know about, business license stuff, etc.

Mainly looking for someone to talk me out of the idea.

PM's are open if you don't want to post for some reason.
Is that you Elon? No I won't help you fix twitter. :colbert:

What kind of web business do you mean? Like selling goods or your service or some kind of SaaS solution?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Thanks for the reply, yeah I discovered the No disc on the S after a bit more reading. I don’t wanna buy my old games again so I guess I’m staying with my ancient Xbox one.

Most Xbone discs work on the series X. Or at least most big mainstream games I think. They have a back-compat checker here https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backward-compatibility

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of consoles, I think I'm finally gonna get a TV for the first time since I had my Wii. I wanna play Mario basically, and probably Pokémon and Zelda, and I want to teach my six year old about active screen time. So the questions are: can I go truly wrong with a TV, am I a sucker if I buy a Switch now, and what Mario game is the best?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BonHair posted:

Speaking of consoles, I think I'm finally gonna get a TV for the first time since I had my Wii. I wanna play Mario basically, and probably Pokémon and Zelda, and I want to teach my six year old about active screen time. So the questions are: can I go truly wrong with a TV, am I a sucker if I buy a Switch now, and what Mario game is the best?

You don't necessarily need to get a TV just to hook a game console to. I use a computer monitor for my Switch. Anything with HDMI output will work.

The best Mario game is all of them. Depending on your personal preference, Odyssey is more open, Mario 64 style. Wonder is your classic side scrolling reach the goal pole. 3D World is a little bit in between but more similar to classic sidescrolling Mario. Can't go wrong.

You're not necessarily a sucker if you get a Switch without a TV. You can use it handheld if you want to.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you just want a cheap TV, I'd say anything that does 1080p is fine. If you care about image quality and color fidelity, you can really get into the weeds about what is/isn't good, but that's the baseline.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

If you just want a cheap TV, I'd say anything that does 1080p is fine. If you care about image quality and color fidelity, you can really get into the weeds about what is/isn't good, but that's the baseline.

That's exactly what I needed to hear about TVs. I don't give a poo poo about image quality, I just want something bigger than an iPad basically.

Silver Falcon posted:

You don't necessarily need to get a TV just to hook a game console to. I use a computer monitor for my Switch. Anything with HDMI output will work.

The best Mario game is all of them. Depending on your personal preference, Odyssey is more open, Mario 64 style. Wonder is your classic side scrolling reach the goal pole. 3D World is a little bit in between but more similar to classic sidescrolling Mario. Can't go wrong.

You're not necessarily a sucker if you get a Switch without a TV. You can use it handheld if you want to.

I don't even have a computer monitor at home, so that's not really an option, but the TV to watch Bakeoff on is a goal in itself.
The Mario recommendations sound good though, glad to know they haven't screwed up at Nintendo.

What I meant about being a sucker for buying a Switch was more about timing really, is it going to be meaningfully replaced by a newer thing in the next year or so? I have zero connection to whatever console wars have been going on for the last ten years.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think even if nintendo puts out a new console next year, the switch still has plenty of good games already released, and a big enough install base to receive support for a while after the new thing launches. But, right now there's nothing indicating an imminent successor.

Also, concerning switch models, you should be aware that the switch lite doesn't support docked mode (playing on the TV), even if it otherwise seems like the best idea for a 6 year old to play with (cheaper, fewer points of failure, less parts to lose). Based on how you feel about TV displays, you probably don't want to shell out the extra cash for the OLED model, so you should probably go with the regular base model.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The Switch 2 hasn't even been announced yet, and the Switch took two years after it was announced for it to be released. I think you're good to get a Switch, just get the OLED version.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Looking to sell stuff at my cyberbusiness.

Re: tv chat , you can grab a pretty nice TV for dirt cheap over the next week or two thanks to black Friday/cyber Monday sales.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BonHair posted:

What I meant about being a sucker for buying a Switch was more about timing really, is it going to be meaningfully replaced by a newer thing in the next year or so? I have zero connection to whatever console wars have been going on for the last ten years.

Here's the thing - the Switch is a Nintendo system, with generally great 1st party games, as usual. If you were to go out and buy a Switch right now, with just your list of 3 franchises, that's Mario Odyssey, Mario Wonder, Mario 3D World, LoZ BotW, LoZ TotK, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. That's 6 full titles, all of which are pretty great. If you spent all of your free time working your way through just those titles, it might be enough to occupy you until the next console is available. Even then, a new console doesn't make the old one and its games evaporate into ether. If the new Switch came out tomorrow, you'd still have a library with 100s of hours of enjoyment available to you.

As for other games to add to the list, if you like classic Mario, Mario Maker can be a lot of fun.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Here's the thing - the Switch is a Nintendo system, with generally great 1st party games, as usual. If you were to go out and buy a Switch right now, with just your list of 3 franchises, that's Mario Odyssey, Mario Wonder, Mario 3D World, LoZ BotW, LoZ TotK, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. That's 6 full titles, all of which are pretty great. If you spent all of your free time working your way through just those titles, it might be enough to occupy you until the next console is available. Even then, a new console doesn't make the old one and its games evaporate into ether. If the new Switch came out tomorrow, you'd still have a library with 100s of hours of enjoyment available to you.

As for other games to add to the list, if you like classic Mario, Mario Maker can be a lot of fun.

Also doesn't the switch have all the classic NES and SNES and N64 games on it too? Millions of hours of entertainment, especially for a 6 year old

Which, along that line, I have a homemade retroPi set up with the NES and SNES catalog, and I plan to use that to introduce my kid to vidya games. But I have considered a switch too.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CzarChasm posted:

that's Mario Odyssey, Mario Wonder, Mario 3D World, LoZ BotW, LoZ TotK, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet.
if you like classic Mario, Mario Maker can be a lot of fun.
There's also New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Pokemon Legends: Arceus and the port/remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also pokemon sword/shield, brilliant diamond/shining pearl, and pikachuu/evee, there's like 5 pokemon games on switch already.
Even if the switch 2 released tomorrow and no new switch games ever released op would have plenty of games to last for a long rear end time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The one thing I’d mention is that the joycons are tiny and can be unpleasant to use if you have big hands. I personally find them very uncomfortable to use for any extended length of time.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Khizan posted:

The one thing I’d mention is that the joycons are tiny and can be unpleasant to use if you have big hands. I personally find them very uncomfortable to use for any extended length of time.

Yeah if this would be a problem for you and you want to play on a tv/monitor pick up a pro controller, they are nice to play on.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yep. The joycons are crazy small. Definitely get a pro controller.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Random American history-related question: let's say that the Whig Party from way back in the day was resurrected in modern American politics.

What would their position be on the modern left-right spectrum, and who would they target as their voter base? Do we have any modern American political figures that would fit in with them?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

two fish posted:

Random American history-related question: let's say that the Whig Party from way back in the day was resurrected in modern American politics.

What would their position be on the modern left-right spectrum, and who would they target as their voter base? Do we have any modern American political figures that would fit in with them?

If you imagine the most milquetoast New England Republican possible, you’ll probably be pretty close.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Mitt Romney?

mystes
May 31, 2006

two fish posted:

I don't think that's even a meaningful question because I don't think anyone particularly cares about the issues the whigs were concerned with now. If you brought whigs to the present via a time machine they would probably have to individually figure out whether they wanted to be leftists or conservatives in the current sense and which party they would want to join.

I think the current political party divide is fairly arbitrary even given current political issues and it would probably change pretty drastically if something happened to switch the US away from the current two party system, like a constitutional amendment to change to a parliamentary system (not that that will happen but I can dream)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mystes posted:

If you brought whigs to the present via a time machine they would probably have to individually figure out whether they wanted to be leftists or conservatives in the current sense and which party they would want to join.

Actually I think they'd say AAHHH! AAAAHHHHH! WHAT IS HAPPENING AAAAAHHH

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

alnilam posted:

Actually I think they'd say AAHHH! AAAAHHHHH! WHAT IS HAPPENING AAAAAHHH

They would become paralyzed by horniness due to how little clothes everyone is wearing, and how good everyone smels (relative to the 19th Century).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Why is there such a market for knock-off perfumes & colognes? Maybe I'm having another anticapitalist realization moment here (like I need another one of those) but it blows my mind how expensive real perfumes are and how insistent people are that the knock-offs aren't poo poo. Is it that ingrained in us, or is there any truth to it? If it smells like a duck, isn't it a duck?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mister Speaker posted:

Why is there such a market for knock-off perfumes & colognes? Maybe I'm having another anticapitalist realization moment here (like I need another one of those) but it blows my mind how expensive real perfumes are and how insistent people are that the knock-offs aren't poo poo. Is it that ingrained in us, or is there any truth to it? If it smells like a duck, isn't it a duck?

Mass produced perfumes and colognes are full of weird junk because there is no regulation on what can be inside of them. And everything about them is s a total scam. More expensive is almost certainly as-bad-if-not-worse in terms of impact on you biologically.

And yes, there are only so many smells in the world. There shops in various places around the world that can take a fragrance and make very good approximations with just essential oils, for cheaper, and with more understanding of the ingredients than you’ll ever get from Chanel, DKNY, or Walgreens.

Nothing about high-end fragrance makes the price worthwhile, unlike how high end fashion there is at least high-quality stitching to point at.

Edit: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/a43978388/fragrance-industry-secrets-transparency-op-ed/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is the question, why don’t people just buy a cheap perfume that’s not a knock off of an expensive one? I assume they like the smell of the expensive one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some people want to pay more for a premium brand even if the products are indistinguishable. :shrug:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Some people want to pay more for a premium brand even if the products are indistinguishable. :shrug:

This, or they don't know about the knock-offs, or they worry about dubious of the quality of the knock-offs or the knock-offs don't have the same standard of uniformity so the smell can vary in ways they don't want etc.

I expect it's the same reason people continue to buy name-brand items from all products.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 17, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Grassy Knowles posted:

Mass produced perfumes and colognes are full of weird junk because there is no regulation on what can be inside of them. And everything about them is s a total scam. More expensive is almost certainly as-bad-if-not-worse in terms of impact on you biologically.

what on earth are you talking about? the article you linked has absolutely nothing to do with whatever you just said, and the FDA absolutely does regulate cosmetic fragrances.

expensive perfumes do actually tend to use different and more expensive ingredients in the case of actual perfume houses (not fashion brands). copycats use much less expensive ingredients to get almost but not quite to the scent of the original. it's not really more complicated than that. there's still a market for the original because I don't think I've ever smelled a copycat that isn't substantially different in some way.

green irish tweed by creed is an interesting example because it's been ripped off so many times that if you smell the original it's instantly recognizable as soap, but there's a bunch more to the creed version that gets lost in translation.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It is strange how much variance there is even within a label's offerings. Every Lalique scent I've tried has great protection and lasts ages. On the other hand, Chanel Pour Monsieur has average projection and stamina but Chanel Allure, while it smells amazing, fades immediately, within minutes. It's infuriating. And all of the above are EDT so they should have the same ratio of scent stuff vs water / alcohol.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what on earth are you talking about? the article you linked has absolutely nothing to do with whatever you just said, and the FDA absolutely does regulate cosmetic fragrances.

expensive perfumes do actually tend to use different and more expensive ingredients in the case of actual perfume houses (not fashion brands). copycats use much less expensive ingredients to get almost but not quite to the scent of the original. it's not really more complicated than that. there's still a market for the original because I don't think I've ever smelled a copycat that isn't substantially different in some way.

green irish tweed by creed is an interesting example because it's been ripped off so many times that if you smell the original it's instantly recognizable as soap, but there's a bunch more to the creed version that gets lost in translation.

FDA posted:

Labeling of Fragrance Ingredients

If a cosmetic is marketed on a retail basis to consumers, such as in stores, on the Internet, or person-to-person, it must have a list of ingredients. In most cases, each ingredient must be listed individually. But under U.S. regulations, fragrance and flavor ingredients can be listed simply as “Fragrance” or “Flavor.”

Here’s why: FDA requires the list of ingredients under the Fair Packaging and Labeling ActExternal Link Disclaimer (FPLA). This law is not allowed to be used to force a company to tell “trade secrets.” Fragrance and flavor formulas are complex mixtures of many different natural and synthetic chemical ingredients, and they are the kinds of cosmetic components that are most likely to be “trade secrets.” To learn more, see the regulation on cosmetic ingredient labeling and the Federal Register notice for this regulation, which addresses “trade secrets” and the FPLA.

From https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetic-ingredients/fragrances-cosmetics

The FDA has a very soft touch and the ingredients that can be withheld as trade secrets are scoped widely, my post was more than a summary of the article.

Edit: That being said I was flippant and imprecise with my wording, taking a dimmer view than is reflected in the words of the regulation itself.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Grassy Knowles posted:

The FDA has a very soft touch and the ingredients that can be withheld as trade secrets are scoped widely, my post was more than a summary of the article.

Withheld from the public in the ingredients list, not from the FDA for safety.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Are anime goons called TLO now? And what does that mean?

I don't engage with anime much anymore and am trying to understand by context :|

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

credburn posted:

I don't engage with anime much anymore and am trying to understand by context :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

looks like there was a goon anime club (?) called The Lost Otakus around 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

efb

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
edit 3: ohhh I think I figured it out

I get it now.

Thanks, gang :)

credburn fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 17, 2023

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I’m playing “Red dead redemption 2” and am in the early stages. I’m in my new camp horseshoe something.

Does this game move beyond being an interactive movie soon? Seriously, “press Y to pick up the wheel, press up to move the wheel, press X to attach the wheel”

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I’m playing “Red dead redemption 2” and am in the early stages. I’m in my new camp horseshoe something.

Does this game move beyond being an interactive movie soon? Seriously, “press Y to pick up the wheel, press up to move the wheel, press X to attach the wheel”

You will eventually get the freedom to move from one interactive movie to another across vast swaths of wilderness. Sometimes there are clusters of interactive movies you can do in any order you choose until you progress to the next cluster.

It's a great game, but you need to be in that mindset to fully enjoy it. It's also really long and can be hard to maintain that mindset over weeks if you are more used to fast-paced games.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I just got an essential oil diffuser for the first time, and I'm just now reading that they can apparently be very dangerous for dogs, however when I try to search for more info, everything is contradictory and confusing.
I have a dog in the house, the oil I used contains: lemon, bergamot, lavendin, orange and basil oils. Are any of those unsafe for dogs? If so, any dog-safe ones people can recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm a 30 year old male who has lead an extremely sedentary (since the age of 16 I've preferred staying at home on the PC) lifestyle. No sports. No exercise. Nothing to get my cardiovascular system working. Despite this, I'm not overweight, and outwardly I do not appear out of shape. I'm 184cm at 77kg, so I'm a bit paunchy but that's it. I've always had issues with my blood pressure, but doctors chalked it up to nerves instead of seriously investigating. About 10 years ago, I was given a blood pressure monitor device for 24 hours, I can't remember if anything ever came of it. Fast forward to now, I've had another blood pressure monitoring device, this time for two days. I was averaging 137 systolic / 82 diastolic for a 24h period.

Doc told me it was not normal at all for a young guy to have this, and prescribed me atacand. I'm a bit hesitant to start meds because I can't help but feel a lifestyle change and actually exercising will bring my readings down, since I've literally not done any in years. I'm obviously not a doctor but shouldn't I try for lifestyle changes first before going to meds, or are blood pressure meds not a big deal?

As an aside, have I done heaps of damage over these past 10 years if I've left high blood pressure unchecked? Since roughly 2020 I've been getting debilitating migraines that have become progressively worse. As I write this, I've got one just bubbling under the surface at the back of my head and it hurts. Wondering if I'm just gonna end up rupturing a vessel in my brain due to all these years of blood pressure wreaking havoc.