Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I paid for a scrapyard contract and two civil recyclers are barely able to keep up with that. 3 furnaces running constantly is able to feed 2 each processor/grinder to keep a bunch of everything in stock to cut down on time spent waiting for 6 more bearings or whatever.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Speaking of scrap, what's a good source for Rubber? The only semi-reliable things I can think of are the tires that sometimes appear in the scrapyard and the tires that sometimes appear to the west of my workshop (around where Mi-an often is).

there's a bunch more west by the clump of big trees and hardwood, sometimes they're completely obscured by the grass. also next to the sandfishing pond by the scrapyard

Griz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
There's scrap all over the place around the salvage yard and to the side of the salvage yard. More scrap will spawn in as the story progresses, but even in the early game there should be piles of metal and wood around that can be broken apart for salvage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
of particular note is the robot that spawns right outside of the scrapyard gate after the bus appears. that's a guaranteed circuit for free every day. you need a lot of those.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The scrapyard should have at least three big salvage points everyday. Most days there will be 1-2 tires you can get rubber salvage from too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One completely unrelated question - will there be another Dance-off at some point? I wasn't able to buy all the Dancing stuff.

I'm pretty sure all the town events share currency and the store. The dance stuff should be in there along with the Halloween stuff and the NYE stuff, etc.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sloober posted:

i'm sort of torn on dew collectors because they don't really net you that much. sending a pet on a water collection alone gets you at least 2 water units and like 15 dew which is more than you get out of a half dozen basic dew collectors. it adds up, over time, its just underwhelming

I have a row of 8 upgraded dew collectors along one edge of my yard and with the relevant skill points that gives me 64 or 72 dew every morning (depending on how the fractional units pan out that day), which makes 8 or 9 units of water.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sloober posted:

i'm sort of torn on dew collectors because they don't really net you that much. sending a pet on a water collection alone gets you at least 2 water units and like 15 dew which is more than you get out of a half dozen basic dew collectors. it adds up, over time, its just underwhelming
I have a row of 8 upgraded dew collectors along one edge of my yard and with the relevant skill points that gives me 64 or 72 dew every morning (depending on how the fractional units pan out that day), which makes 8 or 9 units of water.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One completely unrelated question - will there be another Dance-off at some point? I wasn't able to buy all the Dancing stuff.

Megazver posted:

I'm pretty sure all the town events share currency and the store. The dance stuff should be in there along with the Halloween stuff and the NYE stuff, etc.
Note also that you can buy festival items at any time, the shop is on the mayor's office ground floor, against the back wall by her desk

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Megazver posted:

Not quite - there are two types of town event - festivals and contests. Festivals give one currency, and contests the other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are both good sources of stamina furniture.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ah, thank goodness for the hotfix finally letting me finish that stupid blue quest that was sitting in my inbox because I had the temerity to clear out a cave too early.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Good bc same

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Deki posted:

Man, I couldn't imagine having less than 2 grinders/processors. Even if you're not rushing the main missions, gotta multitask for that sweet money and Rep. Can't let Yan win, after all.

Dew collectors are cheap as hell to make, don't need to be checked every day, and are really quick to loot once you have a mount.

Plus, if you have them as the backbone of your water strategy, you can have your spouse handle sending your horde of pets out for random stuff, which automates that.

What are you feeding the pets to have a horde of them. I haven't found anything the pets like as a gift.

Except Meerkat which I think likes shiny scorpions.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

LLSix posted:

What are you feeding the pets to have a horde of them. I haven't found anything the pets like as a gift.

Most like the scorpions. The cats like gems and certain fish. The Premium version gives you a Gecko for free

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LLSix posted:

The objectively best animal companion, CoCo, likes cactus fruit, scorpsters, and shiny scorpions

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Banjo likes fish and round gems like opal/fluorite
Machhiato loves GUNS. Bullets, bombs, anything like that
Meerkat likes mushrooms, shiny rocks
Nemo likes Dog food & jerky
Coco likes fruits

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wish I could adopt X :(

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

GotLag posted:

Adopt it and change its name to "Twitter"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Adopt it and change its name to "Twitter"

On the discord the developers joked that they were considering this.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

GotLag posted:

The objectively best animal companion, CoCo, likes cactus fruit, scorpsters, and shiny scorpions

Coco is pretty cool.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Worth noting that you only ever "need" 3 pets for dispatch. I still got all of them because why not, and it's fun to see them running around in the morning and evening. Getting the gecko pet ASAP from the DLC (if you have it) and then getting the friendship of 2 other pets up to the point where you can adopt as soon as the game allows you to is the "optimal" way to do it, but it's not exactly critical, just a nice little bonus.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
There's an Act 3 mission where you send stuff to the builders of Portia

Higgins writes back to you

it's kinda glorious

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I feel a little bad for Mi-An. Right now it's the fall of the 2nd year, and she's doing her best. A nice 3,000 builder points on the scoreboard. Probably will get close to 6k by the end of the year.

Meanwhile I'm at 42k points and rising very rapidly with a bunch of high value commissions coming in from the story.

I wish I could help her upgrade her machines because she's still using a basic furnace. She seriously needs to get with the times!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best act 3 revelation is that (:siren: HUGE late game spoilers! :siren:) Mi-an was consistently so low in the rankings because Yan was stealing credit for basically all her work, to the point that once Wei takes over and assesses the full depths of Yan's embezzlement he gives her 500,000 gols in owed backpay.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's not her fault she's competing with an eldritch entity that's puppeting her main rival with inhuman level of efficiency.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

After finishing Spider Man and Alan Wake I felt I needed something different and picked this up on a whim. Haven't played the previous game or really any of this genre, but three hours went by in a flash last night, I think this is a vibe I can definitely get into.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I like how Rocky politely asks if there is a... Legal way to deal with Yan.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

The best act 3 revelation is that (:siren: HUGE late game spoilers! :siren:) Mi-an was consistently so low in the rankings because Yan was stealing credit for basically all her work, to the point that once Wei takes over and assesses the full depths of Yan's embezzlement he gives her 500,000 gols in owed backpay.

Yeah, this is after that. I exposed Yan on the 2nd because I wanted to see his reaction to losing on the 1st. Mi-an is still just, well, not competing even remotely on the same level. I was hoping she'd at least compete with Yan on the scoreboard, who had something like 12k points (though was stealing everyone else's commissions on top of Mi-an's).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Should have renamed herself to Mi-Yan and get an actual character arc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, this is after that. I exposed Yan on the 2nd because I wanted to see his reaction to losing on the 1st. Mi-an is still just, well, not competing even remotely on the same level. I was hoping she'd at least compete with Yan on the scoreboard, who had something like 12k points (though was stealing everyone else's commissions on top of Mi-an's).

Yeah I do wish that post-Yan getting kicked out and Mi-an no longer having her work stolen she'd shoot way up in the rankings and be legitimate late/post-game competition for the top spot each month, but alas. Maybe a mod will come along one day and fix it.

Panfilo posted:

I like how Rocky politely asks if there is a... Legal way to deal with Yan.

Rocky is great because he is both a righteously angry punch man and also a doting dad who - if you go to his house late enough - you can catch reading bedtime stories to Pebbles to get him to fall asleep. :3:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
My plan to be the town bicycle might get disrupted by having Owen as a boyfriend, as it will preclude easy relationship points. Just too much risk he'll get all :qq: if he sees me stuffing sandberries into some other hussy's mouth.

Such a nice ego trip to have sandrockers all excitedly running up to you to sniff your hair while saying a friendly hello.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sydin posted:

Yeah I do wish that post-Yan getting kicked out and Mi-an no longer having her work stolen she'd shoot way up in the rankings and be legitimate late/post-game competition for the top spot each month, but alas. Maybe a mod will come along one day and fix it.

Nah, the thing to remember with Mi-An is that at the earliest opportunity she stops being quite so gung-ho about commissions and starts working at the Moisture Farm with Zeke - possibly because you suggested she get a hobby so she quits working 24/7. So she's never going to be the force of nature you are.

Bear in mind also that none of the other builders are getting the personal attention of Mr. Musa, richest man in the Free Cities, who prefers to work with people he knows - so, you. Basically from that point on no one else even tries to compete with you, they're not on your level and they all know it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good, stay out of my way and give me unlimited commissions and I will bring the telesis down so hard they won't know what improved their quality of life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

Wait, you can turn the various animals into pets? I always assumed they were owned by someone else, or some sort of "communal pets."

GotLag posted:

Well poo poo, that's a good use of all my cactus fruits I guess.

Dirk the Average posted:

I feel a little bad for Mi-An. Right now it's the fall of the 2nd year, and she's doing her best. A nice 3,000 builder points on the scoreboard. Probably will get close to 6k by the end of the year.

Meanwhile I'm at 42k points and rising very rapidly with a bunch of high value commissions coming in from the story.

I wish I could help her upgrade her machines because she's still using a basic furnace. She seriously needs to get with the times!

She works so hard too. Running around constantly.

GotLag posted:

"Adopt" X by sneaking up to and putting them in a bag

Fang sees X at your house. "This isn't X, it's just a bird that looks a lot like him. I hope you find X."

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
X is the one who adopts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What even IS telesis. I've finished the game twice and still have no idea.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

FrickenMoron posted:

It's telekinesis, without da kine

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FrickenMoron posted:

I mean the whole religion is kinda vague besides "technology bad, war bad, peace good" but the sense I get is that telesis is just kinda... good vibes? Neighbor helping neighbor, a decent level of prosperity for everybody, nobody blasting one another with old world tech, etc. Basically harmonious civilization in line with the teachings of the Light.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Basically the community deciding to plan things more smarterly and goodful than before.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Someone's gonna bring television to Sandrock and then Burgess can become a televangelist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Wikipedia says:

"Telesis (from the Greek τέλεσις /telesis/) or "planned progress" was a concept and neologism coined by the American sociologist Lester Frank Ward (often referred to as the "father of American sociology"), in the late 19th century to describe directed social advancement via education and the scientific method. The term has since been adopted as the name of numerous groups, schools, and businesses."

...which I think means something along the lines of "make the world better by not being a dumbass and actually knowing what you're doing"