Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CheeseThief posted:

I've been enjoying the comics thread for over a year now, I won't list every thing I've enjoyed here so let me just say thank you for introducing me to so many things I have enjoyed.

I've finally found something I want to share but before I dive into it; is it okay to link directly from mangadex here or should I put it up on Imgur or something first? Where are you guys linking images from?

I’ve just been uploading to imgur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lame Selfie Bee

Dragon Bros

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

KennyMan666 posted:

Lame Selfie Bee

Dragon Bros is pretty good but those bee ones are just the perfect amount of dumb for me

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Okay here goes nothing, introducing Nick and Lever.

From the Mangadex description:

quote:

The story of two foreign men living in Japan.

(from ebookjapan):

Nick, with his stylish hair, and Lever, with his dazzling eyes behind his sunglasses, are a HOT & CRAZY foreign duo who will face any obstacles that come their way!

The genius Kyogoro Miyata, who wastes no time in drawing, unleashes a shocking high-speed manga. Nick and Lever are finally here!

I stumbled across this series very recently and to my great delight I found that 1) It was still being translated. 2) The author had recently turned to independently publishing the series on their website, one of the later chapters links to something like a Japanese patreon if I get to posting it. It's a series of very short (usually just two pages) gag comics about two increadibly upbeat yet dense Americans living a carefree lifestyle in Japan. There's far too many things in it that I love for me to try and talk about all at once here but I feel these first pages from comic zero highlight one of them perfectly.

Right there, Nick's projectile eyeball, is a recurring gag that I adore. While Nick and Lever feels very Japanese in the writing and has a very distinct realism artstyle, it features the kind of cartoony expressions and 4th wall humour that when layed over the other two just tickles me the right way.

For now, I'm going to skip chapter 1 (because it's 12 pages long) just to show case more of what I mean. Here's chapter 2:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have begun to crave the death of the bro-dragons

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

I wasn't the only one thinking it, right?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ZnCu posted:

Oh necessarily.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

Whoops, I guess I accidentally spoiled this conversation since the succession laws didn't get brought up until here. Also I guess Gall doesn't have the full suite of mayoral powers, just law enforcement. It's probably still not not a constitutional crisis, though.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

gently caress Chief Justice Gall.

Owl at Home posted:

Hey all, think I'm going to take a short break from posting. Nothing serious, I just need a little time to focus on personal projects and family stuff. Prince Valiant and Timelets will return at the beginning of December!

Thanks for posting comics, have a good break o/

CheeseThief posted:

Okay here goes nothing, introducing Nick and Lever.

Aaaaahhhh this was totally on my list of things to post. Ah well. Do the boys justice! And yeah, I rehost all my stuff on imgur.

ZnCu posted:

Yes, this is excellent.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I love how Sasuke is revealed to be a stone cold badass on the battlefield as befits his status, even if he is a total fop outside it :allears:

e: also I could so go for some sukiyaki right now, it's freezing outside over here

I mean, we had seen him with his shirt off before now, right? The guy's got mad scars all over, this is definitely not his first time to the rodeo.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spooky

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

"I love my sister, I only pick the best for her", I had forgotten that line. Reads a little differently once you know how this turns out, huh?

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 30: Insignificant Pawn

"...nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won."

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 22: Of Military Conferences

Who would win, cruise missiles or a skyscraper with a human face?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

Aaaaahhhh this was totally on my list of things to post. Ah well. Do the boys justice! And yeah, I rehost all my stuff on imgur.

By all means do, I'm unlikely to be consistent so if you've got the drive go for it!

Emzedoh posted:

No no, you're stuck with them now. I've got a long long list, I'm happy for you to take them.

CheeseThief has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Nov 17, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

No no, you're stuck with them now. I've got a long long list, I'm happy for you to take them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

:v:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Harsh Prospect

(this one got downloaded in a way to make the chapter structure clear and I'll try to stick with it)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Harsh Prospect reminded me of something I used to read so I went and looked it up: Mare Internum, a sci-fi webcomic by the person who did The Meek, Der-shing Helmer. And hey, it's finished now! Not the Meek though, that's still dead.

Give it a read if you like deeply unhappy scientists having encounters of the third kind and don't mind a bit of body horror. And depression.

https://www.marecomic.com/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something about Nick and Lever looks weirdly familiar. I also get very Beavis and Butthead vibes from them.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something about Nick and Lever looks weirdly familiar. I also get very Beavis and Butthead vibes from them.

Yeah, I can see that. They're nicer than B&B, though.

You're in it now, mate!

Cooking Papa, Cook 15: Roast Chicken to Your Heart's Content (Roast Six Billion Chickens)

Araiwa seems to have something planned.

White Tiger and Black Tiger chapters 136-140

I think this could easily be a lame selfie bee gag with only a little adjustment.

Black Tiger teaches you not to fear death.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fantastic, thank you :haw:

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Aaaaaaaah I love the doggiessss
Thanks a lot! Dogs are great :)

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

I appreciate the honesty

Fingerpori

The need to include "either" makes the pun work even worse in Finnish IMO.
EDIT: Wait, "either - or" implies that both things can be true; what'd be the exclusive or phrasing in English?

Have an extra Fingerpori; came across this and found it funny!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantomius

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Nov 18, 2023

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Hempuli posted:

Have an extra Fingerpori; came across this and found it funny!

Genuine LOL at this, thanks!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hah, he didn't even have to come up with some guff about why it's fake, they just opened it up and let him in anyway. Smooth play with the calling card, though.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Alright because it's the weekend let's get chapter 1 done, 0 and 2 are more representative of the manga's usual content but chapter 1 is an extra long episode formally introducing our titular characters.

Nick's projectile eye saves the day! This chapter firmly establishes the themes of the comic and the pair's powerful friendship.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard that they're actually based on wrestlers, Nick in particular is a dead ringer for someone in the WWE, but I don't know enough about wrestling to say for sure.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Looking forward to reading about two very good (and very stupid) boys.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm here for the masterfully-painted non-toxic masculinity.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Does Japanese language have "throw a look/glance" metaphor?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Some people can stare daggers.
However Nick is American, and therefore stares bullets.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

CheeseThief posted:

Nick's projectile eye saves the day!

love this, thank u for sharing it

shades of cowboy henk, beavis brothers absent buttheads cruelty, fish who are certain they are in of water but they are not

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Nick and lever is delightful

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Haujobb is extremely good imo. They’re electro-industrial but with a really high level of proficiency with production. It’s also funny because one of the Haujobb guys is named Daniel Myer so idk if the artist put the poster there for the reference.
Cool! Any highlights you'd recommend?

And now more 8 Easy Bits

I actually listened to Dir en Grey in my early teens, when androgynous men played a key part in figuring out my gender and sexuality stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UA-rm937kc

Well, sounds fine I guess.

Another main character appears! I won't say which game they're from before the comic does in case anyone enjoys figuring it out themself (how do we say this using singular they, anyway?), but I played a bit of it back then and thought it seemed pretty good.

The early 2000s, everyone. I won't even comment on all the offensive parts of this one and instead say that I had a modded original Xbox that served as the media center of my shared student apartment. I also rented Morrowind for it and just copied the disc to the HDD.

I miss that machine, actually. Lots of good games and a neat homebrew scene.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Spirit Circle

I think I'd rather just be dead

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I love the dumbass himbos lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hempuli posted:

EDIT: Wait, "either - or" implies that both things can be true; what'd be the exclusive or phrasing in English?

I'm pretty sure "either" is an exclusive or qualifier in English. It would be an ambiguous phrasing if it was just "drunk or underage," and if you wanted to make explicit that it's an inclusive or, you'd say "drunk and/or underage."

I'm sure it's colloquially used for inclusive or questions sometimes, because not everyone produces their sentences as strict logic constructs, but the either is what makes it exclusive.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CheeseThief posted:

Nick and Lever

My favorite detail in all of this is watching Lever in the back at a dishwashing station, at a McDonalds.

Don't @ me if your or Japanese McDonald's has a dishwashing station.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: The House of Mirrors

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

W.. why does Dr. Bunny have a Furby face in this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

"either/or" is absolutely the exclusive or - or on its own is the ambiguous or which can be exclusive or non-exclusive

in english, the joke construction would just be to play off the ambiguity of the unmodified or, similar to a dialogue along the lines of

"would you like a or b?"
"yes"