Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Turpitude posted:

Fuckin loved seeing Honest Ed's briefly in new Scott Pilgrim. RIP to a real Toronto institution. The new show is really good.

Invincible season 2 is also good and had Peter Cullen voicing a dude in the latest episode. It also managed to shock me with some ultraviolence when I was least expecting it.

I love that it wasn't just Honest Ed's too, it was Honest Ex's, which hey hey, was the main theme of the story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Feldegast42 posted:

The algorithm knows all and is way smarter than us mere mortals

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Reddit: "Raaagh, I hate new content from a property I love, with direct involvement of the original author, directed by a renown animation director, animated by an acclaimed Japanese studio, voiced by a AAA cast who have already starred in and continue to adore the property! Ohh, it makes me so mad!""

boz
Oct 16, 2005
On Episode 5 of Scott Pilgrim I'm about to lose it at the Gordon/Lucas friendship montage

I'm loving this

I was super hyped only thinking it was going to be a retelling, or something closer to the comic. But I'm so happy with what we've gotten

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Reddit: "Raaagh, I hate new content from a property I love, with direct involvement of the original author, directed by a renown animation director, animated by an acclaimed Japanese studio, voiced by a AAA cast who have already starred in and continue to adore the property! Ohh, it makes me so mad!""

It's continually hilarious that Reddit has been handed some of the most legitimately good poo poo that animation has seen in decades and it's all wound up in a splattered mess on the floor because like the tantruming toddlers they are they've tossed it off their high chairs in a screaming fit.

Never change, you manchildren dillholes. Literally never change.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

It's continually hilarious that Reddit has been handed some of the most legitimately good poo poo that animation has seen in decades and it's all wound up in a splattered mess on the floor because like the tantruming toddlers they are they've tossed it off their high chairs in a screaming fit.

Never change, you manchildren dillholes. Literally never change.
Maybe they should stop hiding broccoli in my brownies then :P Market what you're making instead of epically subverting my expectations, it's not a crazy ask.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay, I finished Scotties Wild Ride. Really loved it, but unfortunately for the very things some of my mates would dislike. I need better friends.
It's certainly more mature than the original and I appreciate Ramona stepping up and try to come to terms with the baggage of her past.

In general, I do really like the idea of a story about the (Don't click!) sudden absence of the very person it's about. The fact that everyone seems to improve and get their poo poo together once he's gone is impressive too.

boz posted:

On Episode 5 of Scott Pilgrim I'm about to lose it at the Gordon/Lucas friendship montage

That was indeed quite awesome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RandomReader posted:

Maybe they should stop hiding broccoli in my brownies then :P Market what you're making instead of epically subverting my expectations, it's not a crazy ask.

Anyone who gets mad about sUbVeRtINg My ExPeCaTiOnS should probably just go stand in a loving corner then and count to 20 octillion while the rest of us enjoy this rad as poo poo thing that was made because who gives a gently caress about your* "expectations"?

*Not your's, just so we're clear, because I know you read into things.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

darth vader is luke's dad? what the gently caress. this wasn't in the trailers... im out yall, enjoy your sUbVeRsIoN

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I was going to just ignore it but I love Rebuild/Remake type poo poo. It's the antithesis of reboots and remakes, like, creators coming back to their earlier works and doing something with the concepts that wasn't possible without the original, that critiques the original or yourself or the audience, or uses the originals reflection tempered by age to find a better or other message and point to it all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Unfortunately, some people get an aneurism if something diverges from the source material. They want to see the same exact Batman origin story they grew up with and complain if it's not exactly the canonical version which only exists in their specific head. I had that exact argument once and it was really tiring.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 17, 2023

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

RandomReader posted:

I mean to be fair (and I honestly don't think this is a spoiler since they've already said this multiple times in interviews, at comic-con, etc.) they have repeatedly said to not expect this to be a straight retelling of the books from almost the time it was announced.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

boz posted:

Loved this too, especially the "90 minutes" punch line.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Big tip-off mighta also been that it's not "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Scott Pilgrim:

My understanding going in was that it was going to just be an animated adaptation that deviated a bit. I expected a changed ending and some streamlined characters, not unlike the film or the game. I did not expect it to be a completely original story.

I loving loved it
The books/movie don't focus enough on how Ramona also sucks and not just Scott, and her getting closure with her ex's and recognizing her own issues is great. Fleshing out the ex's and giving them more personality and story is great.
Shocked and elated for a new Metric track. Was hoping for a second one in the finale, but that's me being greedy.

Wallace, as always, is the best character in all mediums.

It did make me really crave a straight animated adaptation of the books. It kinda toes the line between treating the movie as canon and treating the books as the true canon

I want more
Give me more

boz
Oct 16, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

In general, I do really like the idea of a story about the (Don't click!) sudden absence of the very person it's about. The fact that everyone seems to improve and get their poo poo together once he's gone is impressive too.

Yeah I didn't think that "Takes Off" would literally mean leave

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sockser posted:

Scott Pilgrim:

My understanding going in was that it was going to just be an animated adaptation that deviated a bit. I expected a changed ending and some streamlined characters, not unlike the film or the game. I did not expect it to be a completely original story.

I loving loved it
The books/movie don't focus enough on how Ramona also sucks and not just Scott, and her getting closure with her ex's and recognizing her own issues is great. Fleshing out the ex's and giving them more personality and story is great.
Shocked and elated for a new Metric track. Was hoping for a second one in the finale, but that's me being greedy.

Wallace, as always, is the best character in all mediums.

It did make me really crave a straight animated adaptation of the books. It kinda toes the line between treating the movie as canon and treating the books as the true canon

I want more
Give me more

I mean...

The Goose is loose. :honk: mother[bleep]er.

I really hope that we get a second series. It genuinely feels like they've laid the groundwork for it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Scott Pilgrim was loving incredible. I was expecting a more straightforward adaptation but the moment that Patel seemingly one-shot Scott happened I screamed.

Also hi the original Bubblegum Crisis is like my favorite anime ever so the music video in episode seven felt like it was pandering to me, directly, and having the song as the end credits theme there made it even better. :swoon:

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

People are hating this? I've watched four episodes and think it's brilliant. Like, sure I would've liked a straight adaptation in this style but this is the first time in forever I sat up and was like "Holy crap! This is way better than I could have imagined!".

Wouldn't you want something that doesnt go exactly as you'd expect?

The weak parts for me so far are that some of the action set pieces seem to come out of nowhere and not really serve the plot. I would have preferred more plot / delving into characters. Also something seems a bit off with the sound mixing of the sound effects and voices, but I might be crazy.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

kiminewt posted:

People are hating this? I've watched four episodes and think it's brilliant. Like, sure I would've liked a straight adaptation in this style but this is the first time in forever I sat up and was like "Holy crap! This is way better than I could have imagined!".

I have no skin in the game but my understanding is that people said the advertising/trailers (apparently they all say 'the interviews don't count' lmao) promised 'a more faithful adaptation of the comics' whatever that means.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So having Metric perform Sarah McLachlan's I will Remember you is a fantastic reversal call back that I really appreciated. It's the small things.

e; the Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtracks grand entrance :discourse:

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 18, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I loved the comic and this whole season was a great interpretation, really liked how things with Ramona and the exes were executed.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm only started ep 3 of Scott Pilgrim and this was not what I was expecting at all and I love it so far. will definitely have more thoughts once I've finished it but so far I am here for this ride

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I about busted a gut laughing when in episode 2 of Scott Pilgrim they cut to the coffin with just the handful of change in it.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

kiminewt posted:

The weak parts for me so far are that some of the action set pieces seem to come out of nowhere and not really serve the plot. I would have preferred more plot / delving into characters. Also something seems a bit off with the sound mixing of the sound effects and voices, but I might be crazy.
Only to a point, and that point is a lot stricter if I'm being sold an adaptation. If you took your car into the shop for repairs, and they gave you back a brand new jeep, would you go "gently caress that old car, Jeeps are awesome"?

Pachylad posted:

I have no skin in the game but my understanding is that people said the advertising/trailers (apparently they all say 'the interviews don't count' lmao) promised 'a more faithful adaptation of the comics' whatever that means.

Sorry I didn't keep up with the required reading :v:.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They straight up show their hand in the first 5 minutes or so of the first episode with the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon stuff. “The same guy playing two different versions of the same guy.”

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I watched the first fifteen minutes of Scott Pilgrim ep. 1 and was going to turn it off because I wasn't interested in seeing the same story told with different jokes

I'm way more interested/invested in this, and I'm not an anime liker

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RandomReader posted:

Only to a point, and that point is a lot stricter if I'm being sold an adaptation. If you took your car into the shop for repairs, and they gave you back a brand new jeep, would you go "gently caress that old car, Jeeps are awesome"?

Sorry I didn't keep up with the required reading :v:.
:iiaca:

It's kinda odd how you compare a show made by someone else to an object you own and control. You're not losing anything if the show doesn't match your expectations

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Honestly didn't expect where it ended up, but I'd love a season two of Scott Pilgrim. It sucks there are fans who hate it because it's so dense with callbacks and references that only they'd get. Scott just being gone for the majority of the episodes gave so much room for everybody else it was great. I love every episode after the first starting with Ramona dying her hair a new colour.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I never really liked Scott Pilgrim because I had some issues with the core premise, so I wasn't super interested in watching the new anime. However, I read some spoilers and it looks like this new cartoon addresses like all of the stuff that made me not like Scott Pilgrim as a series originally so I think I may have to check it out.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Martman posted:

:iiaca:

It's kinda odd how you compare a show made by someone else to an object you own and control. You're not losing anything if the show doesn't match your expectations
Eh, trying to avoid doing a food analogy and that was an easy way to structure it and get the jist across. Apparently car analogies are as overused, the gently caress? Anyway, it's clear no one who disagrees with me is going to see where I'm coming from so whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RandomReader posted:

Eh, trying to avoid doing a food analogy and that was an easy way to structure it and get the jist across. Apparently car analogies are as overused, the gently caress? Anyway, it's clear no one who disagrees with me is going to see where I'm coming from so whatever.

Believe me, I am trying to, and I'm still struggling :bighow:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

People have been trying to argue “it’s the art’s fault it wasn’t what I wanted” for thousands of years and it never works.

It’s a bad argument and you’re not suddenly gonna make it better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

People have been trying to argue “it’s the art’s fault it wasn’t what I wanted” for thousands of years and it never works.

It’s a bad argument and you’re not suddenly gonna make it better.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only person who's complained itt has been talking about the advertising being misleading, and not the show itself.

Though the show itself is, yes, also purposefully misleading, and I think it's fair to say that you're frustrated if you were deliberately lead to believe you'd get x and instead you got y.

(In this case I'd have personally not cared for the show if I'd got x, and the only reason I checked it out is because I heard it'd be more than that. But I think it's a valid emotional response to a work.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got no idea what's different about the show but does veganism still give you super powers. The chatter in the thread makes it sound like it'll be interesting at least

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I couldn't have asked for more with Scott Pilgrim Takes Off. I love the original but this feels like they took the legit criticisms of it and wrote a much more mature story overall.

I'm going to have to watch it again in the next few weeks as I let it roll around in my head a bit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Impermanent posted:

Got no idea what's different about the show but does veganism still give you super powers. The chatter in the thread makes it sound like it'll be interesting at least

Yes, Vegan=Saiyan is still consistent across all incarnations of Scott Pilgrim.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Impermanent posted:

It does and it’s utterly fantastic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only person who's complained itt has been talking about the advertising being misleading, and not the show itself.

Though the show itself is, yes, also purposefully misleading, and I think it's fair to say that you're frustrated if you were deliberately lead to believe you'd get x and instead you got y.

(In this case I'd have personally not cared for the show if I'd got x, and the only reason I checked it out is because I heard it'd be more than that. But I think it's a valid emotional response to a work.)

I don’t even particularly care for Scott Pilgrim, I just can’t take any more entitled nerds whining that a work of art didn’t go along their expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What has ever made nerds happy? Rogue One?