Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Are there any decent wireless neckband headphones that don't have a stupid solid neckband? I have a pair of B&W P13s which are *perfect* but the left one is cutting out from what looks like cable damage and I haven't yet tried to pull them apart and one inevitably gently caress up fixing them.

B&W don't make them anymore and only due earbuds and the alternatives I can find all seem to be extremely flimsy looking Sony pairs or one from Libratone that has reviews saying that they can fail quickly with guess what, defective cables!

Beats Flex is the only one I still know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

njsykora posted:

Beats Flex is the only one I still know of.

Yeah somehow those hadn't been coming up in my searches (because Google's poo poo I guess), those look like a decent option and they're cheaper than the Libratones.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Are there any decent wireless neckband headphones that don't have a stupid solid neckband? I have a pair of B&W P13s which are *perfect* but the left one is cutting out from what looks like cable damage and I haven't yet tried to pull them apart and one inevitably gently caress up fixing them.

B&W don't make them anymore and only due earbuds and the alternatives I can find all seem to be extremely flimsy looking Sony pairs or one from Libratone that has reviews saying that they can fail quickly with guess what, defective cables!

If you're not adverse to buying the IEMs and neckband separately, there's quite a few options of 2-pin bluetooth neckbands on Aliexpress. I have had good results with both this non-solid neckband and this one with a solid neckband. You'll have to ensure the connectors match between the IEM and the neckband -- 2-pin/0.78mm seems to be the most common. Added benefit is if the neckband goes bad you can just pop off the IEMs and use them on something else.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Rukus posted:

If you're not adverse to buying the IEMs and neckband separately, there's quite a few options of 2-pin bluetooth neckbands on Aliexpress. I have had good results with both this non-solid neckband and this one with a solid neckband. You'll have to ensure the connectors match between the IEM and the neckband -- 2-pin/0.78mm seems to be the most common. Added benefit is if the neckband goes bad you can just pop off the IEMs and use them on something else.

Huh I had no idea that this was a possibility, this would avoid the problem of the cable inevitably failing which is what's happened in my current pair!

There are some other models out there but many seem to be out of stock, even some reviewed less than 6 months ago have vanished. There are some beyerdynamic ones out there along with the Libratones and guess what? They both have reviews saying the cables fail. The ones that don't? Can't buy them anywhere.

There are some Sony models but they're extremely cheap and crappy, my wife actually has a pair and they look like they came from an arcade prize machine.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

$350 headphones with worse channel balance than $20 IEMs :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgUHizPjg0&t=75s

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i hope that's a firmware problem because if not lmao

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't, but there are worse problems with that headset than the channel imbalance

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

$350 headphones with worse channel balance than $20 IEMs :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgUHizPjg0&t=75s
qc25s 4ever

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I am stunned that Bose would make something terrible.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so I work at race tracks and industrial areas. I've been using Soundpeats Capsule3 because they surprisingly have really good active audio cancellation. However earbuds are irritating my ears. So I gotta switch to something over the ear.

some people have hyped up the Sony WH-1000XM5 but work is quibbling about the $300 price tag.

I did some research and found the Anker Soundcore Space One series has had some hardware upgrades that make it comparable at a significantly cheaper price tag.

Has anyone used either in 90+ db environments?

Or can recommend something better?

source: iphone
needs to be wireless w/ microphone because I climb ladders and tell people safely ensconced in offices that their idea is stupid. a lot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I bought a Steelseries Arctis Nova 1 this year and I've been using it for raiding in Final Fantasy XIV. The audio is great, no complaints there, but I've been told repeatedly that my voice sounds underwater or garbled or both. I've tried to fudge around with both Discord mic settings and the Steelseries GG app (which annoyingly dies on occasion which makes me lose all my sound if I'm using the Sonar outputs--it does this thing where you can switch between Gaming, Chat, Media, etc for streaming purposes) but no dice. My friends have pointed me out to using Voicemeeter, VX-Audio Virtual Cable to route the mic from OBS to Discord so I could use the whole gamut of OBS audio filters. I fudged with that a bit but I found that the output from OBS was still pretty garbled from my headset, even with all the filters I've added . Doing the same thing with a condenser mic (a cheap Redragon Seyfert) gives no problems.

My healer suggested I just use a discrete mic and just use the headset for audio output. I've bought a splitter for this and I have another cheap mic (a BM-800) on the way. But I wonder if I've missed something? Looking up on articles online, they tell me to disable audio enhancements, or that Discord Krisp is bad, etc etc. It also looks like Steelseries GG doesn't play well with Voicemeeter/Virtual Cable because when I install both sometimes I lose all sound and I have to reinstall one or the other to get it back, so it's been really frustrating!

My previous headset was a Razer Kraken X. It had no such problems but one day when I took it off the headband snapped, whoops! All I just want is to sound decent in Discord voice chat and not give a garbled callout that wipes the raid lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The old thread helped me pick out some really good Sennheisers for gaming like 6 years ago, so I figured I might as well ask now that I have a different need.

I'm trying to find something in-ear and wireless, with the main thing being while exercising and running.

Budget - Honestly, no idea, I ain't got a clue what's good or what's not. I've got no problems dropping $150-$200 or a bit more for something if they meet my needs.
Source - Wireless, mainly from iPhone, occasionally computer (So Bluetooth?)
Intended Use Case - First and foremost is running, both on a treadmill and outside, and general exercise. I do sweat a good bit, and I'm in South Florida so there's a lot of humidity at times, but I don't expect them to be in hurricane-level rains or anything like that. Lesser concern is just using them occasionally with my computer at home or work, but if they can handle the first part, that shouldn't be an issue.
Preferred Headphone Features
- So for like 15+ years, I've just been using various cheap Skullcandy wired ones, the sort of $10-$20 ones you can get in any big box store and just replacing them when needed (Usually when the wire eventually broke). They were generally fine, usually had one size of tip that would fit in my ears reasonably, but at this point I'm finally tired of dealing with wires as I'm moving around and trying to consistently exercise more often, and want to get something wireless. If they come with multiple tips, that'd be nice to try and better dial in what works for me.
- If they have touch controls on them, like volume, pause, next track, etc., that'd be a plus, since this is going to be for listening to music (Mostly rock if that matters). For what it's worth, I tried a pair of 2nd gen AirPods, and aside from not liking their old earbud style just never sat well in my ears, the controls on them never seemed to work right. Like, I could never quite tell if I wasn't tapping just the right spot or if the pair I had was bad or what, but the pause was always crazy delayed, and it lead to me constantly skipping tracks by mistake, they wouldn't go back to the previous track, so between that and the crappy fit, those got used for like a week before I gave up on them.
- Don't need any kind of voice assist.
- I'd prefer the fit solely in ear, no earhooks or anything like that.
- No idea if I need noise cancelling or not, I assume it would probably be a plus, but I've never had anything with them before, so I don't know what I may be missing out on there.

I've had a couple people recommend AirPods Pro 2nd Gen, since they're in ear and I have an iPhone, but my poor experience with the controls on the original AirPods has me skeptical of AirPods in general, and the $250 price tag is a bit more than I'd want to spend without some extra research (Like this). I've also looked on places recommended in the OP like SoundGuys, and that just throws more suggestions out there, so I'm curious if anyone can help with this.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 13, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know if it's different on non-Pro Airpods but my Pros have a very clear flat spot on the stem that needs to be intentionally squeezed to operate, it's not a tap and there's a haptic click to confirm a press. If you don't want to go to the Pros though your best bets are probably either the Beats Studio Buds if you want the nice Apple things like easily connecting to multiple devices, else the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 (non-pro).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i have a set of those $25 moondrop space travels on the way, i hear they're very well tuned especially for the price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Only reason I haven't bought the Space Travel is because I bought the Nekocake and those are nice for my backup wireless buds.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

coconono posted:

so I work at race tracks and industrial areas. I've been using Soundpeats Capsule3 because they surprisingly have really good active audio cancellation. However earbuds are irritating my ears. So I gotta switch to something over the ear.

some people have hyped up the Sony WH-1000XM5 but work is quibbling about the $300 price tag.

I did some research and found the Anker Soundcore Space One series has had some hardware upgrades that make it comparable at a significantly cheaper price tag.

Or can recommend something better?

source: iphone
needs to be wireless w/ microphone because I climb ladders and tell people safely ensconced in offices that their idea is stupid. a lot.

If hearing protection is the goal, why not some 3M worktunes?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
yeah I'm surprised somebody at work hasn't had the "hearing protection vs. headphones" chat with you yet

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

coconono posted:

jesus christ dude. ANC headphones are not hearing protection. don't end up a story in the OSHA thread.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

jesus christ dude. ANC headphones are not hearing protection. don't end up a story in the OSHA thread.

Well I was hoping for a combination passive and active.

Someone better tell Cletus McFarland tho.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

While true what about over the ear protection with some wireless IEMs?

That should be perfectly adequate right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Every person I've seen talk about listening to music in loud work enviroments has been using ANC buds under actual earmuffs yeah. That's a much better path to go down.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarcusSA posted:

While true what about over the ear protection with some wireless IEMs?

That should be perfectly adequate right?

yeah that's the pro move from what i hear

coconono posted:

you probably want to look at actual hearing protection with bluetooth from a company like 3M or Walker's, which is kind of a different product segment. i doubt they sound great, but with 90+db of ambient noise i don't think anything will, and you need something actually rated to protect you from that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sounds hype, I’ll check out the 3M dealies.

Thank you goons for helping save a redneck computer toucher’s ears.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the sony inzone buds are a surprisingly good set of ANC gaming earbuds

highlight features imo -
1. support for both 2.4/bluetooth
2. decent ANC
3. great battery life (12h/24h on 2.4/bluetooth - and i'm talking the earbuds themselves)
4. good default EQ for gaming

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I've become a little bit addicted to AliExpress's goofy sales over the last few weeks. They offered me some KDX Pro IEM's for $3 shipped if I bought some other stuff alongside it. I was really curious what you could actually do with a $3 IEM w/ detachable cable, but they came today and they're...pretty good? I don't have the most discerning ears, but next to my Blon BL-03's they don't sound that far behind. I figured I'd probably use them to replace my old Monoprice 8320's as the earbud I use when I'm watching videos on my laptop and they're worlds better than those. I say that not to recommend you all go buy a pair, but just to marvel at how much earbud you can get for a ridiculously low price these days.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lily Catts posted:

So I bought a Steelseries Arctis Nova 1 this year and I've been using it for raiding in Final Fantasy XIV. The audio is great, no complaints there, but I've been told repeatedly that my voice sounds underwater or garbled or both. I've tried to fudge around with both Discord mic settings and the Steelseries GG app (which annoyingly dies on occasion which makes me lose all my sound if I'm using the Sonar outputs--it does this thing where you can switch between Gaming, Chat, Media, etc for streaming purposes) but no dice. My friends have pointed me out to using Voicemeeter, VX-Audio Virtual Cable to route the mic from OBS to Discord so I could use the whole gamut of OBS audio filters. I fudged with that a bit but I found that the output from OBS was still pretty garbled from my headset, even with all the filters I've added . Doing the same thing with a condenser mic (a cheap Redragon Seyfert) gives no problems.

My healer suggested I just use a discrete mic and just use the headset for audio output. I've bought a splitter for this and I have another cheap mic (a BM-800) on the way. But I wonder if I've missed something? Looking up on articles online, they tell me to disable audio enhancements, or that Discord Krisp is bad, etc etc. It also looks like Steelseries GG doesn't play well with Voicemeeter/Virtual Cable because when I install both sometimes I lose all sound and I have to reinstall one or the other to get it back, so it's been really frustrating!

My previous headset was a Razer Kraken X. It had no such problems but one day when I took it off the headband snapped, whoops! All I just want is to sound decent in Discord voice chat and not give a garbled callout that wipes the raid lol
This is the typical antlion modmic use case. Bonus you can go to good headphones too :)

coconono posted:

Get yourself some peltors friendo. Basic WS alert X's will do what you want, XPI's will let you connect more than one device (so you can stream tunes while still being able to take calls on your work phones or whatever else). The other option is just using low profile buds under peltor optimes or whatever passive set you like.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you probably want to look at actual hearing protection with bluetooth from a company like 3M or Walker's, which is kind of a different product segment. i doubt they sound great, but with 90+db of ambient noise i don't think anything will, and you need something actually rated to protect you from that.
Yeah it loving owns to be able to speak/understand people next to 90db equipment.

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah I'm surprised somebody at work hasn't had the "hearing protection vs. headphones" chat with you yet
This is the same boss who balked at a $300 pair of cans, when most electronic hearing proctection costs more than that.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 14, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think I found the thing that I’m looking for at a decent price.

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Razor-Electronic-Bluetooth-Muff-Black/dp/B0BYZ7DVNG?th=1

I’d already got work to buy me custom molded ear plugs through our on track vendor but putting stuff in my ears seems to anger them. Scheduling time with the doc to make sure I haven’t angered the ear spirits by being a dumb redneck.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When it comes to hearing protection and what works certainly follow whatever warnings and such are in your workplace. However don't stop there, read up on things like black noise. Risks, sources, outcomes. What is the best solution for your needs. Various specs from different vendors. Etc.

I know it seems like bullshit "just tell me what the good one is" but there is a reason so many products are on offer. Pick what works best for your needs. Above all, protect your ears and may you live a long life enjoying music and the world around you.

I've only ever used dedicated protection so can't speak on the topic of combo gear. Always thought any distraction was a risk in itself but that's merely my perspective.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have stupid big warning panels in the datacenters we manage: "Hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible".

toothdevil
May 14, 2023
Anybody in here with Sony WH-1000XM5's that has figured out how to completely get rid of Touch Control? I've disabled it but whenever I accidentally touch my headphones it makes the "tap" sound effect as if Touch Control is still enabled.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I just got a pair of Truthear x Crinacle Zero: Red IEMs in the mail today. I'm almost wondering if I got a cheaper model in the wrong package because these sound absolutely nothing the way reviews (or Crinacle himself) describe. They're supposed to have a mild bass boost and neutral highs. What got instead was a conservative amount of bass and a MASSIVE spike at 4 kHz that make them sound harsh and screechy like something you'd hear out of earbuds from the checkout aisle of TJ Maxx. The harshness still comes through a little, even if I apply -10 dB to the affected frequency range. Maybe I have really strange ear canals that produce tons of gain in that band (but only with IEMs and not over-ears). I can't imagine that anything that supposedly had a lot of thought put into how they sound would come out sounding like this.

They provide plenty of eartips, but switching between the ones that fit have no effect on the sound at all. I'm not even sure what the different opening sizes are supposed to do because the smaller and larger diameter variants sound completely identical to one another.

These seem to confirm my status as a non-IEM-wearer because I have the exact same issues with comfort that I do with every other model. I have to jam them in more than I would like to get a good seal and my ear canals start to itch and ache after 30-45 minutes. I was hoping to use these in combination with a 0.78mm Bluetooth adapter to replace my M50xBT2s for my wireless needs since those have become too uncomfortable to wear anymore. Looks like I'll have to keep using my Bose QC 35s whenever I'm not at my desk.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
those IEMs don't sound like that. most likely you're using tips that are too big and you're not getting the right insertion depth. you should be able to fully seat the IEM in your ear canal and get a good seal without feeling any pressure. try spinfits.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I've tried all seven pairs of tips and they all sound indistinguishable from one another, even the memory foam ones (I have discovered the small size silicone tips will also seal if I jam them in hard enough, so that makes all of them). I don't see what is critically different about Spinfit tips. Aside from their ability to articulate slightly off-axis (which I doubt is the problem here), they appear to be constructed just like the ones I already have.

This 4 kHz spike is probably the most consistent property of these IEMs as I play around with their fit. I know I'm getting a good seal because sub-bass is present, though I find I have to add 2-3 dB of boost at 125 Hz and below to get bass to the same level as any of my closed backs (except for Bose because, well, Bose).

I have noticed that the outer housing on these IEMs stick out in my ear quite a bit compared to various product photos/B-roll footage showing them in use. Unfortunately, I don't think the ear tips are the determining factor here because even if I remove the ear tips entirely, I still can't insert the IEMs much deeper. The nozzle length and diameter both seem to be a problem.

I also have a set of Sony Linkbuds S. They have a similar hump in the 3-6 kHz range for me that doesn't show up in RTINGS.com's graph that I have to EQ out, but this disparity is far less pronounced than with the Truthears.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Truthear Zeros aren't the most ergonomic IEMs due to the shell shape and nozzle size. I find them less comfortable than the Moondrop Blessing 2, another IEM known for its big nozzles.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zorilla posted:

I have noticed that the outer housing on these IEMs stick out in my ear quite a bit compared to various product photos/B-roll footage showing them in use. Unfortunately, I don't think the ear tips are the determining factor here because even if I remove the ear tips entirely, I still can't insert the IEMs much deeper. The nozzle length and diameter both seem to be a problem.

ah, they just straight up don't fit. bummer!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My last 2 pairs of Pixel A Buds both ended up failing in the same way. The right ear bud's volume is extremely quite and off balances it with the left one. It's so annoying hearing loud in one ear. It's happened in the past a few times and usually a good solid cleaning fixes it but this time it won't.

Looking for recs on a new pair of buds. I want avoid Pixel A obviously but unsure if the Pros would be any better.

Budget:$200 (Not in a big rush so I will wait till Black Friday sales start popping up)
Source: Pixel 8 Pro
Use case: Podcast, Music, youtube listening. Just your general use from a nonaudiophile .
Preferences: Basic touch controls, and 5+ hour battery on charge.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

My last 2 pairs of Pixel A Buds both ended up failing in the same way. The right ear bud's volume is extremely quite and off balances it with the left one. It's so annoying hearing loud in one ear. It's happened in the past a few times and usually a good solid cleaning fixes it but this time it won't.

Looking for recs on a new pair of buds. I want avoid Pixel A obviously but unsure if the Pros would be any better.

Budget:$200 (Not in a big rush so I will wait till Black Friday sales start popping up)
Source: Pixel 8 Pro
Use case: Podcast, Music, youtube listening. Just your general use from a nonaudiophile .
Preferences: Basic touch controls, and 5+ hour battery on charge.

Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro are on sale for $160 for Black Friday everywhere

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My old audiotechnica ATH-AD700s are falling apart; they've gotten to the point where I lose sound if the wire going into the headphones isn't at just the right angle. They've been relegated to work duty for awhile now, so I need a new pair to replace them.

Budget is around $100. My requirements are comfort and good sound for listening to voices in calls; I never listen to music on them. The work duty in question is working from home, so open-back is fine (and, indeed, preferred). I was just going to buy the updated edition (which I guess is the AD700x?), but is there something else I should consider?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've become a little bit addicted to AliExpress's goofy sales over the last few weeks. They offered me some KDX Pro IEM's for $3 shipped if I bought some other stuff alongside it. I was really curious what you could actually do with a $3 IEM w/ detachable cable, but they came today and they're...pretty good? I don't have the most discerning ears, but next to my Blon BL-03's they don't sound that far behind. I figured I'd probably use them to replace my old Monoprice 8320's as the earbud I use when I'm watching videos on my laptop and they're worlds better than those. I say that not to recommend you all go buy a pair, but just to marvel at how much earbud you can get for a ridiculously low price these days.

let you in a secret: because these things cost peanuts to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

nrook posted:

My old audiotechnica ATH-AD700s are falling apart; they've gotten to the point where I lose sound if the wire going into the headphones isn't at just the right angle. They've been relegated to work duty for awhile now, so I need a new pair to replace them.

Budget is around $100. My requirements are comfort and good sound for listening to voices in calls; I never listen to music on them. The work duty in question is working from home, so open-back is fine (and, indeed, preferred). I was just going to buy the updated edition (which I guess is the AD700x?), but is there something else I should consider?

For this use case I'd recommend looking at a dedicated Unified Communications headset, since those are optimized for voice calls. Polycom and Jabra are two decent brands. I use a Polycom Focus when I WFH and it is very needs suiting, though a bit more expensive than your stated budget.

For a wired USB variety check out the Poly 3320.