Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My genuine apologies then, I hadn’t considered that perspective.
This so rarely happens on this here internet. From anybody to anybody else. Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart, and good on ya'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd like to believe that the War Lords canonically just decorate like it's Christmas all year round

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Makes sense. Why else would they always be so angry, and hate having their relatives around?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Classic series Doctor Who is now on Tubi in the States and Canada.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is Tubi one of the free ones?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

LividLiquid posted:

Is Tubi one of the free ones?

Yep that and Pluto are the big ones afaik

RIP Murray, the Bilis Manger/War Master combo is fantastic and will definitely get a re-listen before long. Onwards to the final chapter where we get some Professor Yana.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who also has been streaming free on Pluto for as long as I can recall - I don't mention it in the OP because FAST channels are hard to put into a box.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edward Mass posted:

Doctor Who also has been streaming free on Pluto for as long as I can recall - I don't mention it in the OP because FAST channels are hard to put into a box.

It always seems to be the Android Invasion or Revenge of the Cybermen whenever I look at the Pluto channel.

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

It always seems to be the Android Invasion or Revenge of the Cybermen whenever I look at the Pluto channel.

This is the downside, it always plays the same drat episodes the same time every day it seems. I believe Plex does the same.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McGann posted:

This is the downside, it always plays the same drat episodes the same time every day it seems. I believe Plex does the same.
So do they only have the rights to a handful of them? Why would they repeat every day?

McGann
May 19, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

So do they only have the rights to a handful of them? Why would they repeat every day?

No clue - supposedly, they licensed about 200 episodes. But googling around some reddit threads finds the same experience as we have had - the same ones repeating ad nauseum.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/pluto-tv-doctor-who-classic-uk-antiques-roadshow-1203238753/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McGann posted:

No clue - supposedly, they licensed about 200 episodes. But googling around some reddit threads finds the same experience as we have had - the same ones repeating ad nauseum.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/pluto-tv-doctor-who-classic-uk-antiques-roadshow-1203238753/

I know I've never seen a McCoy episode on there.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Classic series Doctor Who is now on Tubi in the States and Canada.

The greatest streaming platform in the world just got BETTER

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

I know I've never seen a McCoy episode on there.

I seem to remember when the beeb did weekend morning repeats back in the late 90s/early 00s they never played any McCoy episodes either. I think the furthest they ever seemed to get was Revelation of the Daleks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t often watch Doctor Who on Pluto, because I don’t want to join in at the middle of some serial, but I definitely stumbled on Remembrance of the Daleks at some point relatively recently.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It’s funny to hear McCoy as a rarity, because Paradise Towers is the serial I’ve seen on there most often.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
YELLOW KANGS ARE BEST

McGann
May 19, 2003

Urdnot Fire posted:

It’s funny to hear McCoy as a rarity, because Paradise Towers is the serial I’ve seen on there most often.

I think we're all tending to check it (and thus remember it) around the same time of day, so we all think our slice is the whole pie.

Anyway, It'd be funny if they do in fact have 200 eps in rotation, they're just running through them so fast (and we're checking so anecdotally/haphazardly) we don't even notice.

Y'know, I don't think I have ever watched Paradise Towers in its entirety. May need to rectify that this week, as the holidays bring me some needed free time (Beyond the usual BF binging during work).

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Children in Need minisode today. I can't believe Doctor Who is back on TV, feels like literal ages since I last saw a new episode (even though Power aired just over a year ago).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pandemic time dilation is still a massive factor in our perception of when events occurred. :sigh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

In DW-adjacent news, if you're one of those people who can read the words "Steven Moffat" and "cancel culture dramedy" in the same article about his upcoming new TV show, and still look forward to watching it, well you have my sympathies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2020 was ten years condensed into one, and having a year without Who on top of that makes it even worse

...What do you mean Jodie's run started five years ago :stare:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Fil5000 posted:

I seem to remember when the beeb did weekend morning repeats back in the late 90s/early 00s they never played any McCoy episodes either. I think the furthest they ever seemed to get was Revelation of the Daleks.

You must have just missed it - aside from the repeat run in 1999 where they discovered no one was spending 7 weeks to watch Doctor Who and the Silurians, pivoted to Genesis and abandoned the whole thing, you’re going back to the 92/93/94 repeats which included Battlefield!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zaroff posted:

You must have just missed it - aside from the repeat run in 1999 where they discovered no one was spending 7 weeks to watch Doctor Who and the Silurians, pivoted to Genesis and abandoned the whole thing, you’re going back to the 92/93/94 repeats which included Battlefield!

It must have been those earlier ones, maybe I went on holiday after Revelation or something, or just slept in more. I definitely didn't have anything better to be doing!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In DW-adjacent news, if you're one of those people who can read the words "Steven Moffat" and "cancel culture dramedy" in the same article about his upcoming new TV show, and still look forward to watching it, well you have my sympathies.

You've buried the lede: also starring Karen Gillan and Alex Kingston.

I do look forward to "reading ITV cancels cancel culture comedy drama" at some point in the future, too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

You've buried the lede: also starring Karen Gillan and Alex Kingston.

I do look forward to "reading ITV cancels cancel culture comedy drama" at some point in the future, too.

I'm not surprised that Gillan and Kingston are in the show, considering that their DW characters were A)annoying as gently caress and B)given as much screentime by Moffat as he could possibly manage.

I'll also add that I personally think the concept of "cancel culture" is a completely fake thing (mainly made up by aging comedians and right-leaning media personalities who are very "not mad" about people calling them out on their bullshit); so it's not in the least bit surprising to me that Moffat has not only decided to explore this fake idea, but to do it in a show about how it affects the career of a TV presenter who's also a middle-aged white guy.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
He is absolutely getting out in front of something, isn't he

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

He is absolutely getting out in front of something, isn't he

Surely not the Steven Moffat who once screamed at Caroline Skinner that she was going to be "erased" from DW history, at a public event the BBC were having?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'll also add that I personally think the concept of "cancel culture" is a completely fake thing (mainly made up by aging comedians and right-leaning media personalities who are very "not mad" about people calling them out on their bullshit); so it's not in the least bit surprising to me that Moffat has not only decided to explore this fake idea, but to do it in a show about how it affects the career of a TV presenter who's also a middle-aged white guy.

The first season and a half of Morning Wars/The Morning Show already did this well enough

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLtAdSgWPQ

Got a laugh out of me, I'll admit

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really like the visible thick layers of paint on the tardis

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Huge grin once the very recognizably Murray Gold music started kicking in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Really cool to see Julian Bleach as Davros pre-mutation.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Timby posted:

Really cool to see Julian Bleach as Davros pre-mutation.

That was pretty fun. The meta humor was strong with this one, and that's just how I like my Children in Need Doctor Who sketches. THUMBS UP...but gimme Gatwa.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

The first season and a half of Morning Wars/The Morning Show already did this well enough

Yes but it didn't have that special Moffat-y flavor :smuggo:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A show about a newsman who gets cancelled because he's recorded saying something that sounds bad out of context if you don't know that his best friend is a pedophile but is actually completely okay to say because his best friend is a pedophile but he can't explain this to the public because he needs to protect his best friend, the pedophile

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only show-runners I've ever started a new show because of have been Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The only show-runners I've ever started a new show because of have been Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane.

Nowadays, I look at who's running a show more out of a sense of "oh, that person's running the show? Now I know not to bother with it" :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I love everything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That was really funny and charming. And I love that they're running with Fourteen being utterly bewildered as to why the Hell he's Tennant again.