Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/wrestleops/status/1725522500757475796?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Big leagues for lil kazu???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

HHH desperately chasing the 2015 feeling when people thought he was cool because he copied PWG. Just play with your little celeb and college athlete toys my man, you don’t need good wrestlers anymore!!!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can’t wait to hear about okada in a jobber tag team with, say, an irs-gimmick-using bo dallas

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Okada could probably beat Roman. Haha

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
WON:

"One person who buzzed us about the renewed interest in Okada said that one of the reasons Nakamura is getting a renewed push is to show Okada that this regime is not going to treat Japanese like the stereotypical children-like role (although Tozawa is still playing that role)"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hahahahaha

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okada shows up, gets into a six month feud with LA Knight where they keep kicking one another in the dick, then okada gets hurt and comes back to be money in money and taxes with bo dallas

When they are trying to court someone who is currently a young lion like ryohei oiwa, they will start pushing okada up the card to feud with secondary world champ trick williams and he still will not win but he will “look really good in losing”

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Is there anybody currently in WWE that Okada likes to steal gear from? That would likely be a big factor in his decision.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I have a "renewed interest" in hanging out with all my wrestling friends, per @HausOfWrestling, h/t @WrestlePurists

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Saying Nak is working is generous

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Claiming that a WWE schedule would be easier on Okada's body is quite a claim. Granted, his total number of matches would probably go down, but let's be real, probably 3/4 out of all his New Japan matches are in 6- or 8-man tags on "Road to" shows where he spends most of the time on the apron waiting for the hot tag and wrestling maybe a total of 3 minutes. WWE house show schedule isn't that much lighter, and you are way more likely to wrestles singles or triple threat matches, so the average in-ring time is bound to be higher.

Never mind any other aspects like whether Okada (or his wife for that matter) even wants to leave Japan to work and live in the US, WWE's use of stereotypes, and all the poo poo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I remember that report from years ago where WWE had no interest in Okada and then they found out that he was over six feet and changed their tune immediately.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Germansimp posted:

Claiming that a WWE schedule would be easier on Okada's body is quite a claim. Granted, his total number of matches would probably go down, but let's be real, probably 3/4 out of all his New Japan matches are in 6- or 8-man tags on "Road to" shows where he spends most of the time on the apron waiting for the hot tag and wrestling maybe a total of 3 minutes. WWE house show schedule isn't that much lighter, and you are way more likely to wrestles singles or triple threat matches, so the average in-ring time is bound to be higher.

Never mind any other aspects like whether Okada (or his wife for that matter) even wants to leave Japan to work and live in the US, WWE's use of stereotypes, and all the poo poo.

Also NJPW gets them tour buses.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
"Come to WWE, we'll basically force you to buy real estate in Florida and you'll have to drive yourself to hotels that you also book and pay for yourself 5 nights a week every week until your body breaks down and there's ONLY a 67% chance we'll give you a comedy ninja gimmick compared to the 100% chance of 2 years ago!"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Germansimp posted:

Yeah it's weird how people talk about the WWE schedule as being lighter; yes the WWE style is less intense but the top New Japan guys are doing multi-man tags on the New Japan stuff that would functionally be a house show. I'd rather do a couple of minutes work for less money instead of cookie cutter singles matches where you actually do have to do half the work.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’d rather be dead forever than live in Florida

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i feel like every time okada has been questioned about signing with an american promotion, he's always pushed that he's more interested in building up new japan than growing his own star. i guess his mind could change at some point but i'd be kind of surprised to see him in wwe.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They missed the part in the Observer where it was reported that Okada hasn't really shown interest in WWE and also Okada's wife still does Seiyuu work so I'm doubtful the family is interested in moving to the US

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ivypls posted:

i feel like every time okada has been questioned about signing with an american promotion, he's always pushed that he's more interested in building up new japan than growing his own star. i guess his mind could change at some point but i'd be kind of surprised to see him in wwe.

As far as I'm aware New Japan pay Okada his value, they get how important he is to their business. So WWE to sign him would have to pay a lot, especially considering he'd have to relocate to Florida with his wife who is a working voice actress and his little kid.

And while it's true the WWE has a less impactful style, Okada has worked almost twice as many shows as Nakamura but has only done 16 singles matches to Nakamura's 38.

It's totally plausible he could jump, don't get me wrong. New Japan probably cannot compete with WWE if really pushed the boat out financially. Which would have the bonus of being enough of an investment that they might avoid just sticking him with a Tozawa tier gimmick. If they were wise they'd give him a manager now Vince seems out and they can abandon that particular hangup of his, but idk.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ok but what if WWE promises him a boat?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

At the very least, Nakamura is being built up during this time of speculation. I hope it lasts as long as the Rock has teased coming back to the WWE.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

As far as I'm aware New Japan pay Okada his value, they get how important he is to their business. So WWE to sign him would have to pay a lot, especially considering he'd have to relocate to Florida with his wife who is a working voice actress and his little kid.

And while it's true the WWE has a less impactful style, Okada has worked almost twice as many shows as Nakamura but has only done 16 singles matches to Nakamura's 38.

It's totally plausible he could jump, don't get me wrong. New Japan probably cannot compete with WWE if really pushed the boat out financially. Which would have the bonus of being enough of an investment that they might avoid just sticking him with a Tozawa tier gimmick. If they were wise they'd give him a manager now Vince seems out and they can abandon that particular hangup of his, but idk.

tozawa probably wouldn't be getting the treatment he is if he were six inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, i think. wwe is very much a body company and okada doesn't have his size working against him. i think it would definitely end up coming down to wwe offering the right number, IF okada has any interest at all.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ivypls posted:

tozawa probably wouldn't be getting the treatment he is if he were six inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, i think..

Tell that to Kenzo Suzuki and Yoshitatsu

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

- Damage CTRL Promo

- Top contender match: Brawling Brutes vs. Street Profts vs. Pretty Deadly

- Dragon Lee vs. Axiom

- Santos Escobar promo

- Cameron Grimes vs. Grayson Waller

- Paul Heyman promo

- LA Knight vs. Jimmy Uso

- Charlotte, Bianca, Shotzi promo with SPOILERS

BACKSTAGE NEWS:

- Cedric Alexander vs. Karrion Kross is planned for a pre-show dark match

- Cody Rhodes vs. Dominik Mysterio is planned for a post-show dark match.

- Kofi Kingston vs. Ludwig Kaiser is planned for a post-show dark match.

- Charles Robinson is set for the referee assignment for tonight's main event

SPOILERS

- The main event segment is set for two segments

- Solo Sikoa is set for the show

- Charlotte, Shotzi and Bianca Belair are set to be involved in the opening segment.

- Carlito is to be involved with Santos Escobar tonight

- Austin Theory is set for commentary during Waller's match

- LA Knight vs. Jimmy Uso is set for two segments

- Becky Lynch is set for the show tonight, in the main event segment. Damage CTRL is also to interrupt

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

pseudodragon posted:

I can see where a guy like Werner is coming from. But the good wrestling storylines are at best, stuff he's seen and analyzed a billion times before. Like Vince-Stone Cold is a story that's been done forever, any story teller worth a poo poo has done it before, there's nothing new worth analyzing.

Crazy poo poo like that though? If he's watching it from a filmmakers lens I can see him wondering things like "the crowd is eating this poo poo up and they are playing them like a fiddle. How the gently caress are they doing it with this bullshit?" and trying to figure it.

Yeah, Herzog would be much more interested in the more out there, crash TV kind of stuff. Honestly, he would have loved the last few years of WCW, keep that Bloodline poo poo for your mediocre GoT-rear end sports entertainment show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ivypls posted:

tozawa probably wouldn't be getting the treatment he is if he were six inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, i think.

I have to point out that Akira Tozawa's size wasn't exactly a secret when they signed him. Also he's slightly bigger than Rey Mysterio who at one point was one of their bigger draws, despite being booked absolutely terribly.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

what if he got fat again?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Vince will get his Asian version of Sexual Chocolate this century, even if it's the last thing he will do this century!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So is Jade still just randomly showing up of nah?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
nope. think her being at nxt back on the 24th was the last time she appeared

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Digital Jedi posted:

nope. think her being at nxt back on the 24th was the last time she appeared

launchpad to mainstream stardom any day now

real talk did they just never take a look at her wrestling before they signed her or what's up

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
They need to see how good her knees are to know how much damage they can take and stilk work

https://x.com/Jade_Cargill/status/1721974277786816670?s=20

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

shiksa posted:

real talk did they just never take a look at her wrestling before they signed her or what's up

I mean, she's better than Raquel.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Alaois posted:

Tell that to Kenzo Suzuki and Yoshitatsu

forkboy84 posted:

I have to point out that Akira Tozawa's size wasn't exactly a secret when they signed him. Also he's slightly bigger than Rey Mysterio who at one point was one of their bigger draws, despite being booked absolutely terribly.

you are both right but also those guys weren't around for the "new regime" that's apparently supposed to treat japanese wrestlers better

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

shiksa posted:

At this point I'm convinced she was signed less because they had any actual plans for her, and more because they wanted to take a big signing away from AEW

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is she still showing up to the shows to meet everyone or is she not at every show anymore?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Digital Jedi posted:

They need to see how good her knees are to know how much damage they can take and stilk work

https://x.com/Jade_Cargill/status/1721974277786816670?s=20

what's her username

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
She forgot to shake hands with Kevin Dunn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin