Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grey Cat posted:

We experience time non-linearly, and can experience any and all points in time.
But also we're high as gently caress constantly.

Remember in the first encounter they told Sisko something like "why do you exist here" when the vision kept going back to his wife's death. So they experience time non-lineally, but also thinking about or remembering a thing is the same as being there to them.

Which means that as a prophet you could choose to just vibe in the best moment of your life forever. Troi could be eating chocolate pudding forever. No wonder they consider visitors so intrusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah but at that point, Q is a god, the crystal entity is a god.

Yes the prophets are powerful but they straight up say that the orbs the bajorans are obessed with were just to gather knowledge of the universe.

I mean, Q kinda is though.

I'm putting it down here, Q could totally beat the Prophets.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

The Prophets would wear Q the gently caress out with their rigid hostile politeness. That motherfucker couldn't even beat Spock in a battle of wits.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Q is a god in the way Loki is a god

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Q can change the universe if they feel like so, Prophets are just hanging out in a joint that is out of time and place. Q can make the wormhole to not exist, but then again Q exist because the universe as we know exists. So Q can make the certain characteristics to not be, but do they know what characteristics are the ones that make them exist?

So Q is an enigma because they can change everything, but that means that they can also cause themselves to not be. So do they want to rock the boat and try out? They can non-linearly die, that we know, but can they be certain of why they were born?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Kevin Uxbridge is also a god, he eliminated an entire species with a moment of anger. The Organians were shown to be able to control the physical properties of apparently thousands of pieces of equipment on and orbiting their planet. How many gods are there in this show?? POLITICAL!!!!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Big Mac posted:

Kevin Uxbridge is also a god, he eliminated an entire species with a moment of anger. The Organians were shown to be able to control the physical properties of apparently thousands of pieces of equipment on and orbiting their planet. How many gods are there in this show?? POLITICAL!!!!

How large sphere does one god get? Is it controlled by Q? We need answers.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How is Q even possible, and MORESO, that there are factions of Q's with rules and regulations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

How is Q even possible, and MORESO, that there are factions of Q's with rules and regulations.

We're asking the same questions about the Q that video game NPCs would ask about us if they realized that they were alive and that we could alter their entire reality by dipping into the .ini files and changing a 0 to a 1. "How the gently caress are humans even POSSIBLE :psyduck:"

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I would simply love to see godlike species meeting each other, maybe in an episode of Lower Decks. I predict either:
a universe-destroying conflict, likely resolved by a third species bringing the universe back and saying it happens all the time
OR
just a quick up-nod of recognition, no engagement on potential issues between them

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

When they tried to explain it to idiot humans it looked like the civil war. Our brains can't make sense of how they exist

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mac posted:

I would simply love to see godlike species meeting each other, maybe in an episode of Lower Decks. I predict either:
a universe-destroying conflict, likely resolved by a third species bringing the universe back and saying it happens all the time
OR
just a quick up-nod of recognition, no engagement on potential issues between them

I saw a comment on YouTube that said that Q's cameo at the end of Veritas ends with Q following the Warp Core Four to the bar and just chilling with them over drinks instead of dueling them and I like that a lot.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Q is interesting because he/they are omnipotent but pretty clearly not omniscient no matter what they may claim. More like Doctor Who where their knowledge seems to come from existing somewhat out of time. Their control over the physical universe seems pretty much absolute, but Q rarely seems to use telepathy or even have all the available facts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kevin Uxbridge was in a similar position. Extremely powerful, but very human in most other ways.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I wonder what happened to Kevin

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrSunshine posted:

Nah. The reason Q went to DS9 once and accomplished nothing is because he can't gently caress with the prophets. All the ascended beings probably have a non-interference treaty to avoid destroying reality.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dabir posted:

Kevin Uxbridge was in a similar position. Extremely powerful, but very human in most other ways.

Kevin had deliberately made himself human though. He was fully unplugged from whatever he had previously been, and only reverted after his wife was killed.

So, like the prophets, he wasn’t paying attention.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's amazing how everything in the universe is horny for humans. You don't see vulcans or klingons with this problem. Nope, only humans are out there accidentally seducing gods.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Kevin had deliberately made himself human though. He was fully unplugged from whatever he had previously been, and only reverted after his wife was killed.

So, like the prophets, he wasn’t paying attention.

My interpretation was that he didn't actually change anything about his own nature, he just chose not to use his powers most of the time. He tried to trick the Husnock into leaving, remember? Mentally, he was limited to just what he'd picked up from thousands of years roaming the galaxy as a pacifist taking the forms of various species. So for instance, he was kind of a lovely strategist when the Husnock forced him into a military situation, and he couldn't predict that his tricks would make them angrier. And then he made the exact same mistake with the Enterprise.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's amazing how everything in the universe is horny for humans. You don't see vulcans or klingons with this problem. Nope, only humans are out there accidentally seducing gods.

Klingons killed their gods when they had no more use for them.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everybody seems pretty horny for everybody, at least according to my watching of DS9.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Der Kyhe posted:

Q can change the universe if they feel like so, Prophets are just hanging out in a joint that is out of time and place. Q can make the wormhole to not exist, but then again Q exist because the universe as we know exists. So Q can make the certain characteristics to not be, but do they know what characteristics are the ones that make them exist?

So Q is an enigma because they can change everything, but that means that they can also cause themselves to not be. So do they want to rock the boat and try out? They can non-linearly die, that we know, but can they be certain of why they were born?

What is this sophistry?! Words designed to confuse and addle the mind! Exactly what I would expect from an equivocating petaQ!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

redshirt posted:

Everybody seems pretty horny for everybody, at least according to my watching of DS9.

Dax definitely ear fucks a few ferangi, at least.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Big Mac posted:

I would simply love to see godlike species meeting each other

This is the plot of the Q Continuum novels.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Dabir posted:

Klingons killed their gods when they had no more use for them.

Dorn’s delivery of that line is just so good. The way he says it so matter-of-factly like it’s just something Klingons learn in history class and it’s no big deal. As if he expects people from other species to just go “yeah that sounds reasonable”.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrbo39Lw-r4&t=14s

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean if you're gonna say the crystalline entity is a god you might as well just say starships are gods

what does a starship need with another starship?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what does a starship need with another starship?

Where do you suppose new starships come from?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Dorn’s delivery of that line is just so good. The way he says it so matter-of-factly like it’s just something Klingons learn in history class and it’s no big deal. As if he expects people from other species to just go “yeah that sounds reasonable”.

I love the "more trouble than they were worth" line, it's like he's talking about getting rid of an above-ground pool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the line for when Klingons Killed their gods was because they were more trouble than they were worth. Also the actual legend is that the Gods created a Klingon Man and A Klingon woman who then joined forces killed the gods and turned heaven to ash. This is from the episode where Jadzia and Worf get married.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I think the line for when Klingons Killed their gods was because they were more trouble than they were worth. Also the actual legend is that the Gods created a Klingon Man and A Klingon woman who then joined forces killed the gods and turned heaven to ash. This is from the episode where Jadzia and Worf get married.

Also there's a TNG episode where a woman terrorizes a planet by shapeshifting into various cultures devil figures and when she turns into Fek'lhr in front of Worf he's like "gently caress you, fight me bitch, I'll the kill devil if I gotta :black101:"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The "Live. Love. Laugh." of Klingon weddings, I assume.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Also there's a TNG episode where a woman terrorizes a planet by shapeshifting into various cultures devil figures and when she turns into Fek'lhr in front of Worf he's like "gently caress you, fight me bitch, I'll the kill devil if I gotta :black101:"

the reason nothing in that episode makes any sense is that it is a recycled tos script.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

the reason nothing in that episode makes any sense is that it is a recycled tos script.

WTF that episode owns. "You will refrain from making opposing counsel disappear."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I could see it being that she originally turns into an oni or a banshee and it's Sulu or Scotty who's like "put 'em up, I ain't afraid of no ghost!" instead. That seems like a thing TOS would do.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What part of it makes no sense?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

McSpanky posted:

WTF that episode owns. "You will refrain from making opposing counsel disappear."

Yeah seriously it's one of my fave TNGs

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I could see it being that she originally turns into an oni or a banshee and it's Sulu or Scotty who's like "put 'em up, I ain't afraid of no ghost!" instead. That seems like a thing TOS would do.

Except Takei didn't like the stereotype so he'd have them change it to Loki or something.

The plot is practically from Scooby Doo but that doesn't make it a bad episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CainFortea posted:

What part of it makes no sense?

there was no particular reason why they couldn't detect any of her tricks. she was just using a regular transporter the whole time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

there was no particular reason why they couldn't detect any of her tricks. she was just using a regular transporter the whole time.

It was a stealth transporter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

That's my favorite bit of Klingon lore.

Worf gets so much better lines in DS9. There's that party conversation where someone asks him "mr. Worf, what do Klingons dream of?" and Worf goes "the kind of things we dream of would chill your blood... no, it is better you do not know." and Dorn delivers it so well, like he's genuinely concerned, it's hilarious.