Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope the sideload feature has toggles to forbid access to basically everything.. no photos, no camera, no microphones, no usb, no contacts, no icloud, no nothing. It's just a sad little binary that can only dig around in a private sandbox with no friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

On the one hand, countless grannies will be financially ruined by fake side-loaded banking apps while on the other I'll be able to install an SNES emulator so overall I think it will be a net positive

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

On the one hand, countless grannies will be financially ruined by fake side-loaded banking apps while on the other I'll be able to install an SNES emulator so overall I think it will be a net positive

I'd gladly climb a mountain of scammed grannies to get a WiFi signal analyzer app again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My grandpa is probably gonna sideload a WW2 themed slots app and get his identity stolen

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Ehhh, just pick up an Anbernic RG35XX for $55. It'll be a better experience.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Corb3t posted:

Ehhh, just pick up an Anbernic RG35XX for $55. It'll be a better experience.

no thanks, grandma would have a hard time keying in her social security number with the d-pad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How open is the sideloading requirement anyway?

Is Apple allowed to still require it passes their certification and everything to function, or is it wild west?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’ll probably be like Macos where it will pop up a warning that you have to open the security center to dismiss

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what's the best camera app these days that i can use when i'm wanting to shoot in RAW? I had obscura years ago, but it seems to have not been updated much and feels pretty clunky (though i think they all will on a phone)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

How open is the sideloading requirement anyway?

Is Apple allowed to still require it passes their certification and everything to function, or is it wild west?
If it's like the MacOS model: developers can get an "identified developer" certificate so your iPhone will, at the very least, know the app is from a legitimate developer, however, you can still install apps from unidentified developers where it will give you a big ol "WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS AND IT MIGHT SIPHON ALL YOUR INFO INTO A HOLE WHERE THEY WILL STEAL ALL YOUR MONEY AND LIFE" warning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what's the best camera app these days that i can use when i'm wanting to shoot in RAW? I had obscura years ago, but it seems to have not been updated much and feels pretty clunky (though i think they all will on a phone)

If you have a lightroom subscription try the camera it comes with, it's full manual and works as well as touch screen exposure settings are capable. I tried Halide and I really didn't like it, it tries to be everything to everyone where it toes all kinds of stuff automatically at the same time it gives you manual controls and I found it fussy and slow. I see why people like it but it was nowhere near good enough to add their subscription on top of my adobe subscription.

If you're content with the phone doing exposure settings, the stock camera app is fine too. You have to go through settings.app to set up the ability to take raw photos and once you do you get a toggle on the camera screen to easily enable/disable it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

oh i didn't know that i only had to change the setting once and then i'd get a quick toggle.

that might be sufficient. i don't have an adobe sub anymore. thank you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it's the "ProRAW & Resolution Control" toggle buried in settings.app for the camera. That's what adds the button to the camera to turn it off and on quickly.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

General Apple info but they announced that they are raising rates on Apple TV+ to $9.99 (currently $6.99). They are also raising the rates on Apple Arcade, Apple News and both Apple One subscription set ups.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

seems pricey but otoh it'll take less than a month to watch everything good on there

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I watch way more Apple TV+ than I do Netflix these days. In fact Netflix is probably next on the chopping block for me. gently caress 'em.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Netflix just axed a bunch more shows after 1 season so their platform is even more full of un-bingeable, uncompleted garbage

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For All Mankind and Silo are good. Mythic Quest was good, but tapered off.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Morning Show is excellent

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Afterparty is real good

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For All Mankind and Silo are good. Mythic Quest was good, but tapered off.

Mankind season 3 was awful, hope the new season is better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I cancelled Netflix after having it forever. I don’t want a ton of Apple TV content, but I get the Apple one for the family so even with the price increase it’s still a good deal for everything we use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kri kri posted:

Mankind season 3 was awful, hope the new season is better.

Nope.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

New Slow Horses at the end of the month.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Shudder is the best value for money streaming service at this point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple One Premium subscription is $37/mo now :negative:

I'd be willing to drop down to the mid tier but that only has 200gb iCloud storage and the family has 500gb up in there now.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 18, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Netflix has been solidly in the "subscribe for a month and watch everything once a year or so" category for a while.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

If I wanted to pay monthly for tv I don’t want to watch I’d just get cable

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The crapification of streaming is well underway but for now we're still better off than cable because it's trivial to cancel one service when they have nothing to watch. It's an annoying chore but it wasn't possible to pick and choose in the cable days.

In response I figure they'll start hiding cancellation buttons or doing minimum length contracts sometime in the next few years.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

The crapification of streaming is well underway but for now we're still better off than cable because it's trivial to cancel one service when they have nothing to watch. It's an annoying chore but it wasn't possible to pick and choose in the cable days.

In response I figure they'll start hiding cancellation buttons or doing minimum length contracts sometime in the next few years.

They’ll just all keep raising their prices so it’s almost as much as cable and there are no other options

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If I could easily buy the seasons of some of their shows, I would probably drop AppleTV+. But we are going through Verizon so it is only $10 for Apple One at least for now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

This is how they got me. Apple Music and iCloud 2TB are perma-subscriptions for me, and once you add in Apple TV+, then it’s only a dollar more to get the Premium sub which includes News, Arcade, and Fitness, so I just do it.

If I ever want to cancel Apple TV+ though, then it’s probably worth dropping the premium plan.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Clark Nova posted:

It's so weird to me that emulators (and Kodi, for some reason) are still banned.

Maybe torrent clients I can understand.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I'd be willing to drop down to the mid tier but that only has 200gb iCloud storage and the family has 500gb up in there now.

Don’t share your storage with the kids. Make them survive on 5GB and google photos. This is the way.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

It's so weird to me that emulators (and Kodi, for some reason) are still banned.

Maybe torrent clients I can understand.

Apple has deals with most of the major publishers, who definitely don't want emulators on the app store. That weighs strongly against the paltry revenue they would generate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dogen posted:

They’ll just all keep raising their prices so it’s almost as much as cable and there are no other options

It's already as much as cable. :v:

Depending how many services you subscribe to anyways. YouTube tv in particular will drain you for $73 a month and has all the same unwatchable garbage cable does.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone else run into this issue? It’s happening less frequently for me but did when I went to a show at Red Rocks recently. You can see a different manifestation of it it in the screenshot below when I zoomed out from 1x to 0.5x by using the preset. I don’t think I’ve updated iOS since before this started, still on 17.0.2 on my 15 Pro.

I updated to 17.1.1 after this post but it still happened tonight when I went from 1x to 0.5x on a video. Maybe I need to get a replacement at the Apple Store

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Don’t share your storage with the kids. Make them survive on 5GB and google photos. This is the way.

lol goddamn.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

But what if I actually love my children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

General Apple info but they announced that they are raising rates on Apple TV+ to $9.99 (currently $6.99). They are also raising the rates on Apple Arcade, Apple News and both Apple One subscription set ups.
You mean, again, or is this news like a month old?

Edit: looks like I got the notification for the increase on October 28.