Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

do goons really not know what a tow bolt is for?

I bet most people don't know what a tow bolt is for.

Tow, tow, tow your Bolt
Gently down the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

withoutclass posted:

Saw a Rivian SUV today. Looks really great! However it was making a lot of creaking sound while going by at about 4mph which would be pretty concerning if I had spent that kind of money on a car.

Electric cars are required to make some kind of noise while driving under 25, so there you go!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Failson posted:

Now I won't be satisfied until there's a car with an entire capsule hotel inside.

The Rivian crossbody tunnel doesn't count as a capsule hotel? I'm sure you could fit a foam layer at the bottom and a human inside it.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

withoutclass posted:

Saw a Rivian SUV today. Looks really great! However it was making a lot of creaking sound while going by at about 4mph which would be pretty concerning if I had spent that kind of money on a car.

Friend of mind works for Rivian service, and that sounds like the hilariously complicated anti roll system they use. Something about very loud solenoids clacking and hydraulic fluid instead of a roll bar like a normal car. It's one of the biggest complaints he's seen when cars come in broken.

heyou fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 17, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

heyou posted:

Friend of mind works for Rivian service, and that sounds like the hilariously complicated anti roll system they use. Something about very loud solenoids clacking and hydraulic fluid instead of a roll bar like a normal car.

Have insurers caught on to how insanely difficult these things are to repair? I would love to know what kind of premiums people are paying.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Failson posted:

Now I won't be satisfied until there's a car with an entire capsule hotel inside.

Cars are falling behind. ÖBB (Austrian state railways) has some new couchette sleepers that are basically capsule hotels on a train, it's pretty neat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnB_vSVkX3k&t=246s

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Is this a good deal for an L2 charger? Deal of the day: Autel Home Level 2 EV Charger up to 50Amp, 240V, Indoor/Outdoor Car Charging Station, Flexible 25-Foot Cable,Hardwired, Silver https://a.co/d/ePT2x4w

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Have insurers caught on to how insanely difficult these things are to repair? I would love to know what kind of premiums people are paying.

In the UK, yes they have.

Insurance has sky rocketed for EVs in 2023, compared to 2022.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Steakandchips posted:

Does EVs mean Teslas and Rivians here, or does this apply to the lowly Bolt and Niro?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Yeah it’s loving nuts. My insurance has almost loving doubled and is as much as my car payments were for my Prius.

Edit: my insurance is $280/month with triple a- I originally stated that I probably drive 3-4k miles a year but because I took some drives to SoCal I hit 6k in my first year and they wanted to bump it up to $355/month.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 17, 2023

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Does EVs mean Teslas and Rivians here, or does this apply to the lowly Bolt and Niro?

All electric cars.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Weirdly in Canada the insurance for our 2015 Leaf and 2023 Bolt are within a few hundred dollars of each other per year. The bolt is slightly more expensive but not much.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My PHEV's insurance doubled too over the last year. Really makes me want to get rid of the car now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Squibbles posted:

Weirdly in Canada the insurance for our 2015 Leaf and 2023 Bolt are within a few hundred dollars of each other per year. The bolt is slightly more expensive but not much.

For all its faults the crown based systems that a lot of provinces have really keep prices reasonable. I remember ages ago looking in to insuring a car in alberta vs BC and BC was 1/3 the cost (I was under 25 at the time and the private providers in alberta were just nuts).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

priznat posted:

For all its faults the crown based systems that a lot of provinces have really keep prices reasonable. I remember ages ago looking in to insuring a car in alberta vs BC and BC was 1/3 the cost (I was under 25 at the time and the private providers in alberta were just nuts).

BC's car insurance system worked fine and was even generating a small bit of profit until the provincial government of that time looted the insurance company and then (somewhat successfully) told the public that the existing insurance system didn't work and must be privatized.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ChronoReverse posted:

BC's car insurance system worked fine and was even generating a small bit of profit until the provincial government of that time looted the insurance company and then (somewhat successfully) told the public that the existing insurance system didn't work and must be privatized.

It's not though, it's still a crown corporation and has the monopoly for basic insurance. They allow private options for the insurance for optional stuff like for cars over $150k but continue to offer it themselves as well.

Been a bit of a dumpster fire with how it has been run and yet still it's not completely horrible, my premiums have been pretty steady.

That said I haven't had to make a claim in a while since my wife's catalytic converter was stolen and that was the biggest delay in the whole process, even longer than sourcing the new cat.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

priznat posted:

It's not though, it's still a crown corporation and has the monopoly for basic insurance. They allow private options for the insurance for optional stuff like for cars over $150k but continue to offer it themselves as well.

Been a bit of a dumpster fire with how it has been run and yet still it's not completely horrible, my premiums have been pretty steady.

That said I haven't had to make a claim in a while since my wife's catalytic converter was stolen and that was the biggest delay in the whole process, even longer than sourcing the new cat.
The fact you think it's a dumpster fire shows how well that previous government's campaign worked. The system worked fine, not amazing of course, unless your only metric is how low your premium could be at the expense of everything else. A monopoly isn't necessarily a bad thing nor does it necessarily result in higher premiums (when considering not getting screwed over as a car driving society on a whole).

People here seem to think that the issues with getting stuff paid out, delays in processing or how fault is determined (or at all) are uniquely issues we experience here but it simply is not. There's always the anecdotes about how "it was so much better at XYZ other place" but it doesn't ever take into account that almost every sort of issue you'd see here also are problems there even if that person didn't experience it themselves. Alternatively, they're ignoring giant issues in those other systems and just citing the good parts.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 17, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Squibbles posted:

Same for me in the land of freedom and diesel for a 2017 Leaf and 2022 Bolt. I think it's more based on driving record and a low-accident rate/theft car than the replacement cost of the vehicle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Public insurance cuts both ways. When I was about 21 years old, I got transferred to the lower mainland and ICBC had me pay about $500/yr less for my insurance on my Z31 than it would have been in Alberta (thank god I was claim free).

However, when I transferred back at around 5+ years later, ICBC was waaaay more expensive, like $1K+ more per year at the time (late 90s) compared to private.

To add onto that, since everyone in BC has pretty much full insurance, things like auto glass are stupid high because the insurer will pay it and basically set the market price. I needed a windshield for said Z31, and in Burnaby it was something like $900 at the time from every auto glass place I called.

Got it replaced in Alberta when visiting family a couple months later for well under $300.

I was told autobody parts have similarly crazy mark ups. Not sure if that's still a thing now with all the online ecommerce, but back then it certainly was.

If you are claim free in private land, insurance typically isn't crazy. I think we pay $800/yr for full coverage on our Legacy. But we're sliding towards being olds and pretty much at the bottom of the risk curve.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 17, 2023

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

True, I was happy with and felt more secure using the government insurance company in BC. Surprisingly this is with TD insurance out in the capitalist hellscape of Nova Scotia though. So while the insurance is cheap I'm actually not convinced they'll actually do much for me if I ever actually need it :p

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My 2023 bolt insurance with GEICO is $90 a month plus $16 for renters insurance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Edit: feel free to change it, thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 17, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think that's a reasonable request and if you didn't quote it I would have changed it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My 2023 bolt insurance with GEICO is $90 a month plus $16 for renters insurance

What the gently caress

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What the gently caress

Is that good or bad? I live in Maine with a clean record

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Too lazy to take pictures from the front at the moment but here's some butt shots of our new Bolt

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is that good or bad? I live in Maine with a clean record

I'm in California, have a clean record (1 accident in the past couple years where somebody ran a stop sign and hit me), safe driver etc and am at almost $300/month for insurance.

I checked Geico and it would be about half of what I pay now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It might be a benefit to have a car based on a very common ICE vehicle (Kia Soul). My rates are very reasonable. Of course, I don't have one of the models with trivial to bypass theft protection, lol.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
My insurance with Tesla for our model 3 2020 is like $110, our only car for both my wife and I. We’re in California too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Are you all terrible, terrible drivers? My insurance just renewed, $110 a month on my 2022 Mach-E Premium.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It might be a matter of what coverage limits and other features people have selected, and whether or not their car info is in there correctly, and what random discounts you qualify for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Three Olives posted:

Are you all terrible, terrible drivers? My insurance just renewed, $110 a month on my 2022 Mach-E Premium.

I don't have a single moving violation or (at fault) accident on my record. The only accidents I have are from being rear ended or damage from debris to my parked car from a nearby accident (and both of those are from 10 years ago)

My 6-month insurance premium with Geico is $881.11 for a Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
2 2021 EV's with 2 no-accident drivers in CA with full coverage is ~$1900/yr for me, so ~$75/month/car.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My 2021 Y costs $125/month to insure, but I also have the coverage cranked up ($500k) along with a higher deductible ($1k). It's probably higher than it needs to be, but I can afford the monthly and the higher limits give me comfort so :shrug:

Multiline discount with homeowner's and a decade+ of safe driving & no tickets.

Closest I've gotten to a ticket in the since 2009 was an rear end in a top hat cop followed me into my driveway with his party lights on to tell me I had a taillight out. He wasn't an rear end in a top hat for that, because I'm never standing behind my car when the lights are on. His general attitude and the fact that he's a loving cop is why he's an rear end in a top hat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only time I’ve ever gotten pulled over was when the cops swapped a 45 mph sign with a 25 mph sign to run a speed trap, then put the old sign back when they were done

Coverage costs went up in a lot of states because of issues with uninsured drivers smashing people more than ever before, apparently. Virginia, in particular, jacked up rates a lot.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
also in the ~110/mo club with a model 3, I'm in AZ. Looking at the breakdown, only $46 of that is collision/comprehensive. The rest is damage/liability and under/uninsured coverage.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

My PHEV's insurance doubled too over the last year. Really makes me want to get rid of the car now.

Insurance for my 2017 Volt has went down for the past 2 years! It just renewed last month and dropped another $3.

$74 per month.. $250k coverage across the board, $500 deductible. But I also have 3 other polices with them and no claims or tickets, etc.. for at least 8 years.

Indiana Farm Bureau

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Three Olives posted:

Are you hard of reading? Everyone's rates are around yours, except for the Canada crew, who have much higher liability limits and a different currency, except Gatos, who just found out they're getting gouged.

Mine's about $110 for the Bolt, I could get cheaper, but I really like my experience with USAA the 2 times I've had to use it in the last 15 years. E: and I carry higher than the minimums.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Coverage costs went up in a lot of states because of issues with uninsured drivers smashing people more than ever before, apparently. Virginia, in particular, jacked up rates a lot.

My impression is that in US insurance is more tied to the driver, is it associated with a car in any way? In Finland insurance is always only for the car, so my assumption is uninsured car would get fined the first time they drive by a plate scanning police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saukkis posted:

My impression is that in US insurance is more tied to the driver, is it associated with a car in any way? In Finland insurance is always only for the car, so my assumption is uninsured car would get fined the first time they drive by a plate scanning police.

Good car insurance carried by rich people covers both the car and all authorized users, and the driver when they're driving a rental car. Cheap insurance that poor people use are "named driver" policies that only cover a specific named person driving a specific car.

We don't have plate scanners or anything like that, there's cities where 30% of all drivers are uninsured. Detroit in particular got up to 60% of all drivers driving without insurance before they changed the laws and did an amnesty where people without insurance could get legal without extra penalties: https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2021/11/30/amnesty-uninsured-drivers-michigan/8811570002/

quote:

Prior to the overhaul, an estimated 20% of Michiganders and 60% of Detroiters were believed to be driving without insurance. Detroiters paid the highest insurance rates in the state, sometimes more than $3,000 per vehicle per year, making coverage unaffordable to people who otherwise would follow the law and buy it.

The problem is there's a feedback cycle. The fewer drivers have insurance, the most insurance costs for those who want to have it. Higher costs mean that fewer people can afford insurance, etc.

I bet that you have safety or emissions inspections in Finland too. We've got none of that.