Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Bemused Observer posted:

Or even RPGs where puzzles are an integral part of dungeons, and often quite challenging (Lufia 2)!

Oh I’m definitely in this camp if the puzzles tie in to the rest of the gameplay well enough! I designed like half of the puzzles for Legend of Grimrock 1 and majority for 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Superrodan posted:

I know everyone is super busy with TP2, but I released a puzzle game today inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story. It's free to play in-browser, though don't think of it as a flash style game (it takes between 7 and 8 hours to beat minimum.) Please, feel free to check it out and give it a go. If you know anyone outside of SA who is looking for more puzzle recommendations, feel free to share it wherever. I'm just trying to get it out there. Thanks!

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

I saw this linked in the games chat thread so I gave it a go... and lost my entire day to it. Near the end now and finding the final sets difficult to put together, but most of the puzzling has been fair.

What a great deduction game, people really should check this out. Thanks for making it!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

ErrEff posted:

I saw this linked in the games chat thread so I gave it a go... and lost my entire day to it. Near the end now and finding the final sets difficult to put together, but most of the puzzling has been fair.

What a great deduction game, people really should check this out. Thanks for making it!

Thanks for giving it a shot. Glad you enjoyed it!

People have been reporting losing their save sometimes (not a lot of people but some) and I have no idea why but itchio marks the game as having been updated yesterday (when I haven't touched it) and I'm worried something is going wrong on their end, and its extremely frustrating to me since the game definitely relies on being able to save.

If it affects anyone here, I apologize.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is there a way to backup or transfer the save to another computer? I started on my laptop but I'd probably rather finish on my desktop.

Rad game so far.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Thoom posted:

Is there a way to backup or transfer the save to another computer? I started on my laptop but I'd probably rather finish on my desktop.

Rad game so far.

Unfortunately, no. Are you on Windows? I can send you an exe that will create a file you can move from computer to computer. You'd still have to start over, but you would never have that problem again.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
No worries, I can just start over then. I wasn't super far in yet, so I can just copy over my confirmed identities.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Close to the end of Talos 2, I assume the game is as forgiving in terms of reloading after endings as the first one?
I'm about to depart to Megastructure for the final time, can I do so? I still have 2 puzzles I haven't done.

Also, is it possible for both Yaqut and Mel to join you? Hell, maybe even for Al? Was kidna sad when Yaqut just said he doesn't want to go, I wonder if I haven't talked to him enough

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

after the credits it just kicks you back to before the final departure yeah

didn't talos 1 originally just wipe your save at the end, and they had to patch in the backup system

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vookatos posted:

Close to the end of Talos 2, I assume the game is as forgiving in terms of reloading after endings as the first one?
I'm about to depart to Megastructure for the final time, can I do so? I still have 2 puzzles I haven't done.

Also, is it possible for both Yaqut and Mel to join you? Hell, maybe even for Al? Was kidna sad when Yaqut just said he doesn't want to go, I wonder if I haven't talked to him enough

Yes for Yaqut and Mel both joining you. Not sure if it's possible to win Al over to Team Megastructure or not—I failed to do so but I may have agreed with him once or twice about there being dangers associated with the thing. I imagine both Byron and Alcatraz are too firm in their beliefs to sway them from their original positions, while Yaqut and Melville are more flexible. You kind of have to play through the entire game all over again in order to find out though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 18, 2023

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Just done the Sphynx puzzle on E3. Are the all going to be running around a huge area trying to find a switch under a rock.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

pisshead posted:

Just done the Sphynx puzzle on E3. Are the all going to be running around a huge area trying to find a switch under a rock.

No.

A couple are even more annoying!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Bemused Observer posted:

The swapper mechanic was definitely my least favourite (but on the other hand I really liked all the other additions). I think it's because, unlike other mechanics, it introduces a restriction rather than a capability: with the other mechanics you think "so what can I do with this", and with the swapper it becomes "so what *can't* I do because of this", and I didn't enjoy this.
just crossed the halfway point in Talos 2 and I had some amount of resentment at the swapper

mainly it doesn't even try to provide a physical justification for its existence. The emitters, receivers, fans, drillers, jammers, etc are all Doing Something in the environment. The swapper is just sitting there saying: this widget is locked inside, you can't take it, for some reason.

maybe if was framed as an Annoyingly Specific Replicator that rearranged Thing 1's nanoparticles and reconfigured them only into a Thing 2, I would buy it'

maybe that's already how the game is framing it, but it reads like "arbitrarily locked dais holding thing you need"

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

pisshead posted:

I wish TP2 had a faster run mode (that didn't toggle off when you let go of the W key), these maps are *huge* and empty.
I defintiely wish Alexandra Drennan et al would have given these robits some kind of jetpack shoes or the inclination to build things closer together

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

for a long time i completely missed that you can fast travel to puzzles you've visited before from the capsule

you still have to walk back to the capsule though

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Making my way through C in TP1

A harsh but fair representation of humanity.

e: Broke a puzzle hard enough that it crashed the game, feel like that should be its own achievement.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 19, 2023

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Finished Talos 2. I think my opinion hasn't really changed throughout the game. The regular puzzles are great -- clever without being overcomplicated or tedious, and there are only a few where you can screw up badly enough to need the reset button. Difficulty and pacing felt about right. There were definitely a few head scratchers, but I only got the achievement for taking 20+ minutes because I escaped from a puzzle without using the door and the timer apparently kept running. The star puzzles, on the other hand, were atrocious. The only one I even kind of liked was the Pandora star in South 2. All the others were either insultingly easy or pointlessly obscure pixel-hunting wall-humping nonsense straight out of the 1990's school of hostile adventure game design, and I feel absolutely no remorse about looking those ones up. If they do DLC, I hope the star puzzles are much more like Road to Gehenna.

I was a bit blindsided by the ending because I had accidentally read something elsewhere on the internet that claimed to be a spoiler for the ending of TP2 but was actually just a spoiler for the ending of TP1, so I spent the back half of the game thinking that we were in another layer of simulation that was designed by Drennan to test the morality of the robots after ELOHIM tested their intelligence and free will. I thought the Theory of Everything was a (perhaps intentionally placed) bug Athena discovered in the code of the simulation. I'm still adjusting to the idea that everything was real. I don't have a strong opinion about the story overall. I enjoyed the snippets of philosophy and broadly share the authors' political viewpoint, but it wasn't anything mindblowing or revelatory.

It's probably my second favorite game about (The Witness spoiler) pointing a bunch of lasers at a mountain so you can explore its insides, and definitely my second favorite game where you (Outer Wilds spoiler) discover a deep space anomaly older than the universe itself. My main disappointment is that after getting all the stars and having that huge reveal about what Athena discovered, it completely drops that plot thread, but that would be an excellent DLC/sequel hook.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 19, 2023

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I feel like Talos 2 is a victim of "more is better" mentality. I'm obviously having fun with it and have put around 40 hours in it, but there are a few things I wish it would've done differently.

While each of its weird contraptions is a joy to work with, and I was always interested in what comes next, I do feel like the game could be a little more focused if it gotten rid of one or two of its new mechanics. As it stands it loves to introduce new weird gimmick, slightly expand on it, and chuck it out nearly completely. I wish we would've gotten more puzzles that test the limits of those new things kinda like West 3 has a few weird puzzles that showcase weird stuff about platforms and purple fields. However, even the final world of the game usually just wants you to work with stuff from Talos 1.

I'm also definitely surprised by how empty the hubs are. Them having the same amount of everything also feels needlessly gamey, and like you're going through a checklist. Talos 1 sometimes didn't have stars in a hub or could have fewer puzzles. Not to mention that lack of easter eggs really hurts. Not like the game is serious, so why isn't there a hidden Box Room or another Serious Sam reference, or a secret cat, or something? The thing that seemingly replaces them, and the only thing that doesn't show up on your radar, are human artifacts, but those are really boring. I wish it could've had something like your crew - who aren't really human historians - comment on them for more humorous effect. As it stands, sure, I found an anchor and it added a jpeg of it with a few words.
Hell, even if those artifacts would go back to the museum each time you'd visit New Jerusalem, it would be something.

It's a great game, but it's an imperfect sequel. It took out some annoying mechanics from the first one and upped the quality of puzzles, but along the way lost some of its mystique which kind of contradicts its whole premise of fun of exploration and finding new things. Kinda can't be excited for it considering I know that the next hub will be gorgeous but will still contain 2 stars (which are either piss-easy or annoying with no in-between), 2 lost puzzles, 8 regular puzzles, 3 terminals outside of, and some inside of a lab.

I also think that while it's thematically appropriate that the game doesn't let you choose a name for yourself, it could've given you a few paintjobs so you wouldn't look so boring. After all, your companions all look unique. IIRC while the game tries calling you "they" it screws up on a couple of occasions going back to "he". Not a big deal, but I wish more care would've been given to player character.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 19, 2023

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Thoom posted:

Finished Talos 2. I think my opinion hasn't really changed throughout the game. The regular puzzles are great -- clever without being overcomplicated or tedious, and there are only a few where you can screw up badly enough to need the reset button. Difficulty and pacing felt about right. There were definitely a few head scratchers, but I only got the achievement for taking 20+ minutes because I escaped from a puzzle without using the door and the timer apparently kept running. The star puzzles, on the other hand, were atrocious. The only one I even kind of liked was the Pandora star in South 2. All the others were either insultingly easy or pointlessly obscure pixel-hunting wall-humping nonsense straight out of the 1990's school of hostile adventure game design, and I feel absolutely no remorse about looking those ones up. If they do DLC, I hope the star puzzles are much more like Road to Gehenna.

I was a bit blindsided by the ending because I had accidentally read something elsewhere on the internet that claimed to be a spoiler for the ending of TP2 but was actually just a spoiler for the ending of TP1, so I spent the back half of the game thinking that we were in another layer of simulation that was designed by Drennan to test the morality of the robots after ELOHIM tested their intelligence and free will. I thought the Theory of Everything was a (perhaps intentionally placed) bug Athena discovered in the code of the simulation. I'm still adjusting to the idea that everything was real. I don't have a strong opinion about the story overall. I enjoyed the snippets of philosophy and broadly share the authors' political viewpoint, but it wasn't anything mindblowing or revelatory.

It's probably my second favorite game about (The Witness spoiler) pointing a bunch of lasers at a mountain so you can explore its insides, and definitely my second favorite game where you (Outer Wilds spoiler) discover a deep space anomaly older than the universe itself. My main disappointment is that after getting all the stars and having that huge reveal about what Athena discovered, it completely drops that plot thread, but that would be an excellent DLC/sequel hook.

I started off in the early part of the game thinking it was a simulation again, and through the latter half as I picked up that this wasn’t going to be the twist, I kind of struggled with the fact that I just flat out didn’t really like the base premise of the plot. At the very start of the game I did the text adventure in the museum, where if you’re a witch at the end you can save humanity by going “no! I use my magic which is totally real to save everyone!” and the text treats this with gentle humourous disdain, giving you an ending along the lines of “well, even though that’s obviously impossible, I guess you saved everyone, sure buddy, well done, you win”, so it took me a while to accept that the core textual premise of the main game was “magic actually is totally real, we should use it to save everyone!” And then at the end kind of surrenders one of the core dramatic consequences of the story by just bringing back Miranda with zero problems, it has the feel of something unfinished, because it just feels so narratively weightless, the same as actually saving Athena. Everyone really is saved at the end and society’s problems are solved with magic, which the game seemed to identify would have been a trite and unsatisfying outcome at the very start, and then it just…makes it the actual ending.

Still, I enjoyed all the puzzles, so it was still a good game, and the sense of wonder and awe at the game’s start was great, even if it couldn’t stick the landing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

repiv posted:

for a long time i completely missed that you can fast travel to puzzles you've visited before from the capsule

you still have to walk back to the capsule though

Yeah, that always seemed a bit worthless. I guess it saves a minute if you actually skipped a puzzle at some point, but other than that it's pretty useless, since you presumably don't have a complete mental map of the place which tells you exactly where you need to go nearby.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Good job this game is so pretty to look at with all the running you do through it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I don't want to binge too fast through Talos 2, problem for me is, when I'm in the middle of a game and I can't play that often I'm still googlin' random things and coming into near-misses with spoilers.

I just started the second half and got a hard crash to desktop when the VTOL came back in view of the Megastructure. Thought this crash message was aprobos.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paquerette Down the Bunburrows was partially funded by Draknek and it shows, it's got Draknek DNA to it, with lots of secrets and additional stuff to do. There's an entirely additional game mechanic that you can stumble upon that requires that you set free all the rabbits back to the burrows if you want to get full completion (the comp% factors in any you've already captured before releasing them)

I hit credits at 3 hours in and my completion% was only 22%.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Paquerette Down the Bunburrows was partially funded by Draknek and it shows, it's got Draknek DNA to it, with lots of secrets and additional stuff to do. There's an entirely additional game mechanic that you can stumble upon that requires that you set free all the rabbits back to the burrows if you want to get full completion (the comp% factors in any you've already captured before releasing them)

I hit credits at 3 hours in and my completion% was only 22%.

I tried this out for a little while today and it might be the most infuriating puzzle type I've ever encountered. It's one thing to gently caress up something in Baba is You and have to start over from the beginning for all the planning involved, but trying to herd bunnies is excruciating

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Talos Priniciple 2 - Is there a way to activate the Somnodrome in the Anthropic Hills lab? There's no prompt on it. The only videos I've found about it have the mayor talking to you there, but he's not there for me.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Arkannoyed posted:

Talos Priniciple 2 - Is there a way to activate the Somnodrome in the Anthropic Hills lab? There's no prompt on it. The only videos I've found about it have the mayor talking to you there, but he's not there for me.

I think you need to solve some number of puzzles in that area to trigger a story event first.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't sleep on Viewfinder. It's an absolutely fantastic game that'll probably show up on a few best-of-year lists.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Haven't played Talos 2 yet, but I follow Talos 2's writer on Twitter and he's vocally pissed off about people abandoning nuclear power in the midst of global warming, so I suspect it's definitely a theme.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Arkannoyed posted:

I also had that issue but I wondered if it might be connected to my decision to tell Rand to go gently caress himself. I dunno how bad I hosed up there, I just let Doge pick a pen pal for me and he picked someone with red flags so huge that couldn't even entertain theoretical co-operation. Since he was talking about accessing morality within our subconscious I figured that my premature termination of that story thread might have also cut out anything connected to that object since they seemed to be connected.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Reveilled posted:

I also had that issue but I wondered if it might be connected to my decision to tell Rand to go gently caress himself. I dunno how bad I hosed up there, I just let Doge pick a pen pal for me and he picked someone with red flags so huge that couldn't even entertain theoretical co-operation. Since he was talking about accessing morality within our subconscious I figured that my premature termination of that story thread might have also cut out anything connected to that object since they seemed to be connected.

I did the same thing except with Jeremy instead of Rand, so that may be it.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

Haven't played Talos 2 yet, but I follow Talos 2's writer on Twitter and he's vocally pissed off about people abandoning nuclear power in the midst of global warming, so I suspect it's definitely a theme.

It's one of those games where you get the impression that the writers are just speaking their opinions to the player.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Because this thread won't shut up about TTLP2 I decided to play through TTLP1 since I had never gotten around to it and it was 3 goddamn dollars so whatever.

I'm surprised how many of these puzzles seem to involve timing? And some of my solutions feel MAD suss.

In particular, in B-3, the Red L solution I ended up coming up with was... do I have to spoiler a decade old game?

Taking the fan off the grill, putting a box on the grill, standing on the box, putting the fan back on, then in mid air grabbing the box and dropping it into the middle arena twice, then stacking boxes and standing on the stack to block the laser. This felt ABSURDLY janky but there's so few moving parts on this level

I'm also unsure if I should be stopping to try to get every star, thus far I only have 3. I found the Exterior laser point in A... 4? but could never figure out a way to use it to get a star.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I think they took all the timing stuff out of Talos 2 based on the negative feedback to it in Talos 1.

There's a late-game mechanic in Talos 1 that is basically all timing, doesn't occur in Talos 2 as far as I know.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are not many moving elements in general in TTP2. In TTP1, you sometimes had to break up the movement patterns of mines/orbs so you can get the laser timing right, but that's not really a thing in the sequel anymore. But there's also always the chance that if a solution seems too convoluted or finnicky, then there's a simpler solution intended. I think a lot of the reputation TTP has for having finnicky solutions comes from the fact that there is a lot of wiggle room in the problem solving, and you can often find alternative solutions that seem weirdly precise, and people do those without finding the primary intended solution.

For B-3 red L, you can just jump on the fan pad while holding a box and drop it into the central chamber that way. Standing on the boxes to block the laser is intended though. That may not be the only time you are expected to body block a laser. They do telegraph this pretty clearly in that puzzle with the raised platforms, I feel like, so it's not that janky or unexpected in my opinion.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 24, 2023

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Body blocking the laser wasn't the issue I had, it was riding the box, picking it up mid flight, and then dropping it into the central area that felt super janky to me, but your solution makes more sense. The body blocking I was fine with, and had done it multiple times up to that point.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

ChewyLSB posted:

Body blocking the laser wasn't the issue I had, it was riding the box, picking it up mid flight, and then dropping it into the central area that felt super janky to me, but your solution makes more sense. The body blocking I was fine with, and had done it multiple times up to that point.

Are you sure you had to ride the box? Couldn't you just have picked it up, walked into the fan with it in hand, and drop it midflight? I'm almost certain that's how I did it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Figured there would be an achievement for unlocking all the helper robots in Talos 1 and then never using them, wasn't disappointed. All mainline puzzles down, still missing a handful of stars some of which I don't even know where to find. Time to go around wall humping some more and trying to think of ways to abuse puzzle constrains to get into off limits areas.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Figured there would be an achievement for unlocking all the helper robots in Talos 1 and then never using them, wasn't disappointed. All mainline puzzles down, still missing a handful of stars some of which I don't even know where to find. Time to go around wall humping some more and trying to think of ways to abuse puzzle constrains to get into off limits areas.

Hey I just got this too! Although I only just got enough tetris blocks to unlock the 5th floor of the tower question mark? And I feel like I still have one more puzzle chamber.

I wanted to make this post while it was still fresh on my mind, but I assumed the late game timing puzzles Sivart13 mentioned are the time copies with yourself? That actually didn't bother me as much since you control your own timing. I really didn't like dodging around the mines, not that its hard but its just tedious at some point and not really a "skill' I wanted to be testing

I assume I'm close to the "base" end of the game and I think my least favorite element, besides some of the timing stuff, are the puzzles that seem to be about finding like one specific angle for you to place a laser redirector? I just solved this one and it almost feels like its an exploit because this DEFINITELY doesn't feel right.

C-7 Red T- Block Prison Break

There was an earlier puzzle too That involved pushing a block into a purple gate sectioned off area with a fan where the solution seemed to be to shoot the blue laser extremely close to a plank that I thought for sure was going to block it back into the fan which felt like kind of a whack solution to me

My favorite puzzles were actually definitely the clone copies of yourself even though its such an overused puzzle game mechanic. The standouts to me where the seven gates puzzle, and I think it was called Circumlocation? Even though the latter wasn't a copies of yourself puzzle, that one really bent my mind on how to move the laser redirectors around in a super fun way.

Anyways, I know I'm just bitching but overall I definietly really enjoyed the game. I just assume I'm near the end of the game but I wanted to get my thoughts down while they were still fresh on my mind.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.

ChewyLSB posted:

C-7 Red T- Block Prison Break

I did the exact same thing here on my recent TTP1 playthrough. I looked up the intended solution afterwards and it definitely didn't require this precise angle.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ChewyLSB posted:

Anyways, I know I'm just bitching but overall I definietly really enjoyed the game. I just assume I'm near the end of the game but I wanted to get my thoughts down while they were still fresh on my mind.

Probably worth noting at this point that when you do finish the game, the game has a “restore checkpoint” system which will allow you to revert the game back to before you finished. Sometimes people don’t notice it and think they have to play though the entire game over again to see some stuff they missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I went scrolling through previous posts and saw somebody mention Taiji, which I had in my library and never beat. I'm making a lot more progress this time around. Spoiler question for one of the more annoying-to-return-to endgame puzzles: What's the deal with the teleporter "solution" for the puzzles under the starting sigil? I'm solving the 9 actual puzzles themselves pretty handily, but the teleporter to easily return to there is a huge PITA. I've looked up the solution itself and could just manually key it in one-by-one, but I'm lost as to what the logic is being used to draw it up. The only thing I could think of is the map but I can't make heads or tails on how that actually works in this 9 x 9 grid