Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have to self-crit, I originally thought Greta's dad was exploiting his autistic daughter for fame, but she's pretty switched on.

It's kinda both. I think Greta herself is "genuine," but doesn't exactly have a strong understanding of much (and her fame *is* entirely because of her parents being rich/famous).

This sort of "ignorant honesty" can lead to correct views on topics that are very unambiguous in their nature (like Israel's atrocities against Palestinians), but also leads to your typical liberal condemnation of Russia/China/etc (and, more directly harmfully, support for stuff like "sending arms to Ukraine"). The default state of this sort of person is generally to "support the West as long as there's any ambiguity to work with" (which there just doesn't happen to be with Palestine, since it's such a transparently evil thing Israel is doing). But people like this will almost always join the US State Department in condemnation of any enemy of the US/NATO that actually has any power, like China or Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

Is it just me or did western media start all calling it the “Israel-Hamas” war in unison as if some state department memo went out to change the framing as Israel was bee lining it to the hospital?

Now that you’ve seen it. You can’t unsee it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Even the Nazis at a conscience. Hitler at least had the excuse for mismanaging the war because he was busy with his obsessive grandiose plans of the utopia he was going to build after the war, while Netanyahu is ignoing everything for just 24/7 gooning to genocide.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edit: since there was some confusion:

crepeface posted:

i think he's trying to combine referencing this:

https://twitter.com/kennardmatt/status/1724045043969687840?s=20

https://twitter.com/ReichmanShmuel/status/1722754621557350845?s=20

with finklestein's recent talk about 'gooning.' fail on the execution but not worth a ban

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Dec 3, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/ironicprofessor/status/1725575198227968462?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

when youre totally winning the media war

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

global elites to public: why aren't you identifying with the violent psychopathic oppressors, you monsters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Even the Nazis at a conscience. Hitler at least had the excuse for mismanaging the war because he was busy with his obsessive grandiose plans of the utopia he was going to build after the war, while Netanyahu is ignoing everything for just 24/7 gooning to genocide.

:catstare: ... uh I am with you on the condemnation of Israel, buddy.
... but lets not whitewash Hitler/Nazis, please?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
no, go on

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

I think one of the biggest myths among liberals is the idea that countries like Germany (well, West Germany at the time) and Japan were meaningfully "denazified" (or the equivalent in Japan's case). There's this pervasive myth that these countries, and particularly Germany (due to being European), basically became good conscientious liberal countries after the war.

It's a really key misunderstanding, because it prevents them from seeing the historical throughline of the US/NATO supporting the same ideological tradition that lead to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan (which in turn leads to deep misunderstandings of modern conflicts like the one in Ukraine, where there's a lack of comprehension that western/pro-NATO Ukraine is part of this same tradition). Literally down to staffing the post-war governments with the same people.

The interesting thing about Japan's case is that America instantly regretted the demilitarization, but the majority of Japanese really bought all in on it. It became a big issue during the Korean war, and to this day its only popular sentiment in Japan that's kept the Japanese government from building up a proper army and getting in on wars with America

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol @ the deliberate choice of photo where her hair looks purple

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

You do not, in fact, have to hand it to Hitler.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You do not, in fact, have to hand it to Hitler.

I for one applaud hitler's heroic assassination of one adolph hitler.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ytlaya posted:

I think one of the biggest myths among liberals is the idea that countries like Germany (well, West Germany at the time) and Japan were meaningfully "denazified" (or the equivalent in Japan's case). There's this pervasive myth that these countries, and particularly Germany (due to being European), basically became good conscientious liberal countries after the war.

It's a really key misunderstanding, because it prevents them from seeing the historical throughline of the US/NATO supporting the same ideological tradition that lead to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan (which in turn leads to deep misunderstandings of modern conflicts like the one in Ukraine, where there's a lack of comprehension that western/pro-NATO Ukraine is part of this same tradition). Literally down to staffing the post-war governments with the same people.

yeah, the ukraine thread really revealed exactly how the power structures and people of the fascist governments were preserved.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

You gotta hand it to Hitler, he was a real piece of poo poo and I hope he’s burning in hell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

no

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

If Hitler were still alive, he'd be the prime minister of israel

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yup. he'd be uh what's that word that liberals did to bush, he'd be that..

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

no

He would be prime minister of double israel

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

he would be…barack hussain obama

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bouillon Rube posted:

he would be…barack hussain obama

"would be"?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

look I’ve tried to call my hamas guy like 4 times but their phones aren’t working

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You gotta hand it to Hitler, he was a real piece of poo poo and I hope he’s burning in hell.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

:chloe:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VomitOnLino posted:

Either this is spreading falsehoods by the media (shocker), or so called "climate activists" being single-issue muesli-leftists who are mainly concerned about the optics of their endless stream of treats and consumption (shocker).

Euro Greens are loving weirdos, IMO

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

is this a SYQ or should this guy be annihilated? I ain't checking D&D

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/AbbyMartin/status/1725597788522848723?t=l3oZFm-fbqrPpCpGVWuVKw&s=19

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Vox Nihili posted:

is this a SYQ or should this guy be annihilated? I ain't checking D&D

He's got an unfunny play on a Latin phrase in his username, so I think he should be perma'd just for that poo poo.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's got an unfunny play on a Latin phrase in his username, so I think he should be perma'd just for that poo poo.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

HallelujahLee posted:

War Monitor
⚡️Netanyahu to NPR: "It is necessary to make a cultural change in Gaza similar to the change that occurred in Germany and Japan"

Put Hamas in charge of NATO.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
regarding my previous post about hitler, you do not under any circumstances have to “let him cook”

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I think it is an attempted riff on the hasbara thing that went around a few days ago (a month ago? I have no idea any more) with different social media figures saying roughly the same thing about Hamas, fwiw. I could be wrong, just sounds familiar.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

guys I really don’t think that anyone who wandered into this thread are sincerely trying to hand it to hitler. It was in all likelihood a dumb edgelord joke

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mark immune posted:

regarding my previous post about hitler, you do not under any circumstances have to “let him cook”

lmfao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mark immune posted:

sheesh lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i simply would let (beeeep) post slide, thats cause im badass.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mark immune posted:

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 hours!)

UPDATE: Aaaaaaaand the world is going to hell in a hand basket.
Death to…I don’t even know who at this point.

https://x.com/middleeastmnt/status/1725721783913877713?s=46
https://x.com/robinmonotti/status/1725200829555114136?s=46

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

crepeface posted:

yeah, the ukraine thread really revealed exactly how the power structures and people of the fascist governments were preserved.

fascist elements but wedded to hard nosed neoliberalism. it's truly frightening how awful it is. blood and soil nationalism but you don't actually get to own any of the soil, or probably your blood because it's all been privatized

like most existential wars tend to increase government investment and nationalization of industries but ukraine saw a massive firesale of public infrastructure and institutions. Ukrainians are dying defending a country that's being sold out by their leaders from under them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

mark immune posted:

lol :smith: