Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Grilled Beef posted:

My theory is Bastillo Fo is Crawl or at least all the important parts of him.

The oldest part of cawl and the first, though not primary, mind that makes up the gestalt that is cawl was a new to the books bioengineer that worked on the space marine project with the emperor, not another major named character.

I like that about him, if they didn't lay that ground work out first yeah it could have been anybody. I think as an explanation it's a pretty workable one that cawl isn't just a random supergenius out of nowhere, but a long line of the imperiums brightest merging themselves together to keep their knowledge alive as their flesh fails. With a dark undercurrent that cawl maybe hasn't always used willing volunteers for the process.

Favorite small cawl fact is they're genderfluid, while usually masculine because the main cawl mind is, if one of the major minds that is female takes over cawl thinks of herself as she, and the text doesn't trip over it.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
They really made Toby Longworth say "pheguth" 235 times.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Sharkopath posted:

Favorite small cawl fact is they're genderfluid, while usually masculine because the main cawl mind is, if one of the major minds that is female takes over cawl thinks of herself as she, and the text doesn't trip over it.

I've been really impressed and pleased by how Black Library is allowing (or maybe even encouraging?) some more socially progressive elements like this in their stories. Mike Brooks is number one here, Nate Crowley isn't far behind though.

The Imperium is a hideously regressive and oppressive society, but they don't need to be regressive and oppressive in the same ways as ours. It's honestly laziness to write them that way.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

btw, did any of you get the first volume LE of TeaTD but miss out on the second one?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

btw, did any of you get the first volume LE of TeaTD but miss out on the second one?

I ordered both but they cancelled volume 1 on my order at the last minute and only sent volume 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sharkopath posted:

The oldest part of cawl and the first, though not primary, mind that makes up the gestalt that is cawl was a new to the books bioengineer that worked on the space marine project with the emperor, not another major named character.

I like that about him, if they didn't lay that ground work out first yeah it could have been anybody. I think as an explanation it's a pretty workable one that cawl isn't just a random supergenius out of nowhere, but a long line of the imperiums brightest merging themselves together to keep their knowledge alive as their flesh fails. With a dark undercurrent that cawl maybe hasn't always used willing volunteers for the process.

I feel like high up techpriests are in general are pretty genderneutral since at some point, all they HAVE is gender outside like a heart and chunk of brain in like a spider bot with skull face.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
+Binary is for code, not gender.+

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough they spell in Binharic these days.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

MariusLecter posted:

+Binary is for code, not gender.+

Everything can be expressed with binary, you just need to use more digits.

Wasn't there a :science: emoji variant with a tech priest at one point?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I can't find it but the imperium literally being that comic where the guards say "we respect your gender identity" before feeding a person into the corpse grinder is the funniest and therefore correct outcome

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Kylaer posted:

Everything can be expressed with binary, you just need to use more digits.

Wasn't there a :science: emoji variant with a tech priest at one point?

I swear I've seen one

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Demiurge4 posted:

I ordered both but they cancelled volume 1 on my order at the last minute and only sent volume 2.

Hang on, you couldn't have ordered both at once though?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Hang on, you couldn't have ordered both at once though?

I ordered both the hardback of volume 1 and pre-ordered volume 2 on october 21 and had it listed to be sent at the same time and volume 1 was listed as in stock on the warhammer website. But when it came time to send them they refunded me for volume 1 and it was then listed as no longer in stock and they only sent the second one. This sucks because I can't find a hardback anywhere else.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I ordered both the hardback of volume 1 and pre-ordered volume 2 on october 21 and had it listed to be sent at the same time and volume 1 was listed as in stock on the warhammer website. But when it came time to send them they refunded me for volume 1 and it was then listed as no longer in stock and they only sent the second one. This sucks because I can't find a hardback anywhere else.

Ah, right, the regular hardbacks would stick around for longer yeah (until they didn't apparently). I was talking about the signed limited editions, to be clear.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FPyat posted:

They really made Toby Longworth say "pheguth" 235 times.

Did he go "Fay Gooth" or "Feh g-ugh-th"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/19/sunday-preview-machine-vs-machine/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

Two paperbacks go up for pre-order next weekend, first up is Mike Brook's Warboss.

Second one being God-Machines, a collection of Titan related stories.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

FYI never choose to ship books at the same time rather than as they become available with GW. They don't actually set aside stock when you do that and 95% of the time the book that came out first will be out of stock by the time they get the 2nd.

Your only option at this point is eBay and last I saw they were going for around $100. That's high but it will probably go higher in the future as volume 3 comes out and people who buy it just for the emp fight decide they actually need to get the first two.

GW hardbacks are printed in low amounts one time so they inevitably sell out super fast and then go for 2x-4x secondhand. They do print more of the siege of terra books than the one off novels but still not enough.

That being said I 100% expect them to do a print on demand for siege of terra hardbacks in a couple years like they did for the mainline HH books so if you don't mind waiting that long it will eventually happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1__1fHv56E

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh that's good, but the bit at the end takes place inside the dome on top of the titan, I'm almost certain, which is an important point because it's even cooler that two demigods are fighting inside a giant temple on top of a titan.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
The world desperately needs the battle between Horus and Sanguinius to be animated in the finest low-budget early/mid-2000s style, set to the song You're Going Down.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kylaer posted:

The world desperately needs the battle between Horus and Sanguinius to be animated in the finest low-budget early/mid-2000s style, set to the song You're Going Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jynTNYSKNuk

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Kylaer posted:

https://youtu.be/WoBWsh4s2cY?si=mUiu6y884zfrVy8W

Not exactly what you wanted, but

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is thousand sun flesh change simply them turning into chaos spawn or is it something else ?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

euphronius posted:

Is thousand sun flesh change simply them turning into chaos spawn or is it something else ?

I'm not sure if it ever got to that point but from what I recall its them having pretty bad mutation rates. Iron warriors also deal with that, but they basically just amputate and go more bionic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's always been my understanding. Ahriman was dismayed by his brothers' wildly mutations and accidentally dusted everyone who isn't a sorcerer with his rubric.

It wasn't what he wanted, and Tzeench apparently tricked him into it? I hope that part gets fleshed out (ha!) in another book, since Ahriman the "trouble with social cues" detective was a high point of EatD2.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ahriman is someone who is nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and this slight overestimation of his intelligence leads to him loving up on the regular.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Ahriman is someone who is nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and this slight overestimation of his intelligence leads to him loving up on the regular.

In this he is truly made in the image of his Primarch.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Trying to catch up on Horus Heresy and am on Saturnine. Found an odd passage describing a prison Dorn built in the Palace called The Blackstone. Says the buttresses are laced with Cadian-mined noctolith. But Cadia and its warp issues were just discovered like 80 years ago by Lorgar so how could the Imperium know about the noctolith there?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Is Eisenhorn considered among the best in the franchise?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I don't know if the timeline for Blackstone Prison makes sense given that. It shows up again in EatD2, and I wonder if it'll eventually be a case for the Ordo Chronos.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
40k has some time travel from warp fuckery* but they don't have a ton of it and generally not in major plot point ways. And it's weird if blackstone is getting zapped around in time, since it's specifically warp resistant.

*e.g. the Ork who got knocked backwards in time, met himself right before his Waaaugh began, and killed his younger self so he could have a second copy of his favorite shoota.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Small nitpick but Blackstone is warp reactive not necessarily resistant. Most uses for it in the lore are for dampening purposes but it can also be used to amplify the warp like in the Blackstone Fortresses that have a massive planet killing warp beam focused and powered through the Blackstone.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is Eisenhorn considered among the best in the franchise?

Yeah. It still holds up like 20 years later. It really helped lay a lot of ground work in the novels imo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

IMO Eisenhorn is just one of the best in sci-fi period. Certainly in 40k but I think it holds up to any other excellent sci-fi

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am so hosed

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It also just randomly shows up full of ghosts, which yeah - lots of weird poo poo happening in the siege - but that's a pretty solid sign that some specific time and space fuckery is happening.

I could swear I read about the material getting shipped back to Terra though, and the ship's crew was like WTF is this for? Is that a fake memory?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This loving book is so bad it is spiritually toxic.

I am experiencing harm

For context.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, yeah, i wasnt trying to make it a thing because who cares what I think.

Its just that I have to read two more of these to win a bet

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I can imagine how bad I'd feel about being made to read Mistborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Can we not do this please?