Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jde4qHbCtSg

The Magic Portal, the oldest surving substantial stop motion Lego animation, is well worth a watch if you enjoy The Lego Movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - I think i'm in the minority on this one, but it was a fun adventure flick and undid some of the missteps of Crystal Skull. The de-aged Harrison Ford in the flashbacks was kinda tacked and could have been worked around with some narration, but it was fine. The ending felt really rushed after all the build up and a bit of a cop-out, Wombat should have let Indy die in the past, it would have fit for his character at this point in the story - he's lost his wife, his son and his job (even though it was just 'retirement' he was going to miss it)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I found Dial of Destiny to be just kind of an overall drag. It wasn’t awful but none of it really stuck with me. Say what you want about Crystal Skull but it maintained the “fun” of the previous movies to me and its big setpieces were memorable. This just felt very flat in tone punctuated by numerous vehicle chases that never really hit any highs. I get that Harrison Ford is old and that’s an easy way to get him into an action sequence but, egh. This one lands at the bottom of the Indy barrel for me.

The ending was pretty good though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dial of destiny, including Indiana finally being too old to punch out three dudes at once, is what Crystal Skull should have been, but it's too little too late on a series that was pushed beyond all good taste.

I do really like that small scene in the office though, he has just enough of his old cunning to get the drop on one of them, but the moment sputters out because he's finally, inarguably, just too drat old.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

is there a reason this is coming up more lately? it's playing at a theater near me this week and i have the dvd borrowed from the library but someone has a hold on it right after me which never happens

I can't speak to anyone else, but I'm watching through blindspots for film spotting madness next year.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Carillon posted:

I can't speak to anyone else, but I'm watching through blindspots for film spotting madness next year.

this looks fun. subscribed to the podcast and the letterboxd list.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Scarface It's incredible how likeable Manny is. You know I bet it's a pretty popular theory but I bet half the reason that Tony does his whole thing is that he loving sucks in bed, like I bet the dude has never made a woman orgasm. Should've listened to Manny and learned to eat pussy.

28 Days Later What 28 Days of NNN does to a MF. The British should not be allowed to make movies.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 14, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Super Mario Bros. (Annabel Jankel, Rocky Morton, 1993)

Watched this film for the first time ever, screening from the 4K remaster, and I unironically enjoyed it and had a good time. The dynamic between Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo was great, and there were so many little details that made me smile or laugh, like the plungers mounted on the wall of their apartment, or the fact plumbers in New York apparently race to beat each other to get to jobs first. It all seemed very earnest and like they put some love and care into the film, and wasn't just a quick cash grab.

The production design was great, and some excellent animatronics and puppetry, like cute little Yoshi. The devolved Goombas were legitimately horrifying, due to the combination of a way-too-small head on a larger humanoid body - but at least I know what the photos I've seen of them are now. Seeing how they introduced the gamey elements (pipes! Bob-ombs! light guns! those jumping boots which weren't in the games!) was enjoyable, and Dennis Hopper and Fiona Shaw looked like they were having fun hamming it up (and even though I know they weren't, she certainly left an impression).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I forgot Mojo Nixon was in that.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Zoom (2006) - generic, inoffensive, throwaway kids movie that was still kind of fun and very much of it's time. Former 90's sitcom stars: check. Smashmouth: check. Hanson hairdos: check. Reminded me of what a nose-dive subsequent superhero movies took into being joyless grim dark slogs. The scene where they literally reject every non-white cast member option was a little bit cringy in retrospect. Also gently caress my decrepit bones, this movie is almost 20 years old. :corsair:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tiger 3 yeah it's clear at this point that the YRF spy universe has eclipsed Bond at this point. The movie is slightly less over the top than Paathan was, but is just as incredibly dramatic and fun as hell. Shah Rukh Kahn is great at the action as always, although some of his comedy and emotional scenes are flubbed, but Katrina Kaif stepped the gently caress up when it came to the action. She's got nearly as many scenes as Tiger does and is just as brutal as he is, slamming people's heads into the concrete, latching onto a dude with her thighs before doing a 360° spin while dual wielding submachine guns blasting dozens of dudes, the bathhouse fight with a Chinese Spec Ops guarding nuclear launch codes. Beautiful.

The only thing they haven't gotten down is car chases, they've got a motorcycle chase on the roofs that's fine but it never reaches the heights of QOS opening or MI Fallouts Paris chase.

Convinced my buddy to go see it, and created a convert to Indian cinema for life. loving grinning from ear to ear the whole film with how fun it was and how it managed to keep doubling down on the action and the drama.

I think the plot might be controversial for people who aren't all in on Indian nationalism, the film does go big into a sort of paternalistic relationship where India totally wants nothing but peace with Pakistan but also clearly sees itself as the senior partner and the one responsible for disciplining their wayward ward. Also the fate of one of the returning characters from Tiger 2 was so wild I thought I was losing my mind, then they cut back to it ten minutes later and I ascended to a new plane of hilarity previously unknown to myself; you could not shoot something like that in America even in a Shapiro production.

Teaser fro War 2 was also sick as hell

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Five Nights At Freddy's - I give it a strong 2/5. they clearly bit off way more than they could chew with the script and the movie suffers from wasting time with insane bullshit that is never resolved (or ever addressed after the initial mention in some cases). at 1hr50min, what they needed to do was scale WAY back, do one thing extremely well instead of 25 things below average, and release it at 1hr15. OR, they needed to get buck wild, slap another 45 minutes in there, and go all in on the weird dreamscape mindfuck stuff they hinted at but never quite managed to accomplish.

the animatronics were fuckin sweet and the fact that they went with practical effects over CGI gets a siskel outta me

barnold fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 18, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

barnold posted:

Five Nights At Freddy's - I give it a strong 2/5. they clearly bit off way more than they could chew with the script and the movie suffers from wasting time with insane bullshit that is never resolved (or ever addressed after the initial mention in some cases). at 1hr50min, what they needed to do was scale WAY back, do one thing extremely well instead of 25 things below average, and release it at 1hr15. OR, they needed to get buck wild, slap another 45 minutes in there, and go all in on the weird dreamscape mindfuck stuff they hinted at but never quite managed to accomplish.

the animatronics were fuckin sweet and the fact that they went with practical effects over CGI gets a siskel outta me

So how does it stand compared to Willy's Wonderland? If you were a fan of Willy's Wonderland, give it a go, or just give it hard pass and stick with the earlier animatronic horror movie?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I didn't watch Willy's Wonderland, I admit it. But now that you mention it, I'll give it a spin and get back to you on that

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Saltburn was good, I didn't find its final twist surprising at all though

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Holdovers - Manages to be the coziest goddamn thing ever while simultaneously being devoid of cheese. Delightful. A new Christmas classic.

Though I did find two fauls in its "fake 35mm" presentation in that they didn't replicate 1). Flicker and 2). Reel changes.

BUT I did end up seeing May December in 35mm which psychologically added an extra layer of "intensity" (I guess you could say) with the story. Also dug how the score bashes you over the head with its presence, which is a refreshing change of pace from the modern tendency to just have scores subtly exist in the background.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Watched Prometheus and Alien: Covenant last weekend as I wanted to keep the vibe going. There’s a lot of holes to poke in Prometheus but it’s still a great ride with some amazing scenery, not to mention a great depiction of meeting your maker. eat poo poo I don’t care about you

Covenant has all the similar holes, and more, but with a cast that has zero chemistry.

I really disliked David’s tunnel house, which is poorly filmed. You never get a sense of how big it is, there’s never a corridor connecting any rooms…like there were only two sets inside and they kept reusing them or something? Felt like a small movie problem in a giant studio movie which is bizarre.

I loved all of the implications of the updated David model, how man actually made something too close to real and it made people uncomfortable, resulting in a new dumbed down version.

The ending outside of the reveal, which everyone knows is going to happen didn’t do anything for me. Why would David want to go to the new world they’d mapped out? Why not swing back to earth to kill create? He’s already created these hybrid xenomorphs, does he want to keep morphing them until the aliens can say yes daddy?

Anyway. Really wanted to like it, but it treads too close to the last movie while doing everything worse.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

prometheus and then the counselor were basically the last straws for me with ridley scott. i remember liking the martian fine enough in theaters but i rewatched it recently and was bored the entire time.

for a brief period i was excited to see phoenix as napoleon but bc scott is the director i figured i better learn my lesson and avoid it altogether. reviews seem to indicate i made the right choice.

checking letterboxd, turns out i've only seen a small handful of his movies overall, but it's enough to form a generalized opinion. blade runner and alien are obvious classics but beyond that, there's just an overwhelming amount of schlock that i don't have a taste for in his movies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ShoogaSlim posted:

prometheus and then the counselor were basically the last straws for me with ridley scott.
Same. Those movies finally confirmed that Ridley Scott is fuckin awesome, I couldn't deny it anymore

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

ShoogaSlim posted:

disliking prometheus and then the counselor was when I realized I don't have a taste for movies.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Thinking Ridley Scott is over because you saw a bad movie of his is like thinking the world will be dark for the rest of your life because the sun went down.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im going to see napolean in theatres and im going to pee during the battle of the nile

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im going to see napolean in theatres and im going to pee during the battle of the nile

Apparently it's not in the theatrical cut. There is zero naval action so we don't get to see the Orient's explosion blowing out the theatres speakers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The Last Duel I thought was really interesting. Reminded me Scott isn't a director you can just dismiss because he puts out crap sometimes.

Gaius Marius posted:

Apparently it's not in the theatrical cut. There is zero naval action so we don't get to see the Orient's explosion blowing out the theatres speakers.

Uh oh, we getting another Kingdom of Heaven situation?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 22, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
welp thats out i sure hope they cover his italian campaign :(

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
See How They Run did well enough for me as someone who does not know the ending to a single Agatha Christie mystery. Not the most neat and tidy, but the twists and turns were clever enough. I was dumb and inattentive while watching the trailer, which lead me to expect that the movie would be entirely set in the theatre, with the mystery solved in a single night.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

downton abbey: a new era. would be kind of sad to be in the half of the cast that didn't get to go on a jolly to france

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Thinking Ridley Scott is over because you saw a bad movie of his is like thinking the world will be dark for the rest of your life because the sun went down.

you ever listen to a band and not like their music? it would stand to reason that the next time they release an album you'd be convinced you aren'ty going to like it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Mega Comrade posted:

The Last Duel I thought was really interesting. Reminded me Scott isn't a director you can just dismiss because he puts out crap sometimes.

Uh oh, we getting another Kingdom of Heaven situation?

There’s supposed to be a 4 hour cut on Apple TV according to Ridley, so yeah sounds like it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just saw Napoleon.

Yeah it did feel like a lot was rushed through. There is a lot of history to cover so I understand it but at the same time it felt like important parts of the story were missing. The film seems to assume you have a good grasp of Napoleon's biography to fill in the blanks between scenes.

I would like to see the longer cut eventually but I don't regret seeing this cut in IMAX.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't say they assumed you know anything about Napoleon because if you did youd spend the whole movie livid.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I saw a comedy called Napoleon. Seriously, there are many many scenes that end like they are missing a laugh track. The final shot of him in a chair needs a looney tunes gag sound like its Wile E Coyote hitting the dirt.

And they change so many little things like adding enough entrenchments at Waterloo to make you think it's WW2, including a scoped sniper rifle with a 1000 yard range. It didn't add anything! The British march OUT of them for a cavalry charge! There's no urgency or tension about any of the battle scenes either.

Meanwhile the entire first half of the movie is spending all it's time trying to be a love story between two people who have zero charisma with each other. He keeps frowning and she keeps rolling her eyes. I can completely get it was supposed to be about those two and not the battles, but the second half of the movie is all about battles and no love story.

Was she poisoned bu the Czar of Russia using Pluonium? I think that's what the movie was saying? It sure spent a lot of scenes with the Czar without any other pay off. There's a lot of that sort of thing happening. Everyone speaks English (which is fine) except *one* scene were two ambassadors change to sub titles..to make a joke I think?

Someone get James Cameron to make a sequel called Wellington. He made superior sequels to Scott's work.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Comstar posted:

Someone get James Cameron to make a sequel called Wellington. He made superior sequels to Scott's work.
James Cameron's Napoliens

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
James Cameron's Napolien$

Hollywood, give me $250 million and we can do it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

just let the theater seeing the boy and the heron

i absolutely love princess mononoke and spirited away.

boy and the heron was epically boring and empty. i hated it so much

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also just saw Boy and the Heron. I didn't hate it but it definitely felt very strange.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Saltburn - You people need Jesus.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Also just saw Boy and the Heron. I didn't hate it but it definitely felt very strange.

it felt like

big fish
alice in wonderland
willy wonka
matrix reloaded

all wrapped into the shell of spirited away but not actually as good as any of the good elements of any of those movies.

none of what follows is an *actual* spoiler, but it may as well be bc of how nonsensical the story actually is:

if you pick up a seashell and hold it to your ear, you will hear the ocean. but the ocean sound is actually the sound of your own beating heart. and a hermit crab will dig a hole in the beach sand for you to crawl into so you can enter your own past where you encounter a copy of yourself that will eventually end up being your uncle who builds birdhouses out of his memories. if you forget what it was like to be a child, which you are, but still aren't, then the birds that inhabit the birdhouses will revolt bc it means the end of their way of life as they know it. and when they do, the birdhouse is destroyed, and so are your memories. unless(!) you remember what it was like to be friends with your best friend in the whole world aka the hermit crab you only just met yesterday and who might actually want to kill you but saves your life instead. so you crawl out of the hole in the sand and back to your real reality and when you turn around to look back at the hole it's gone bc it's actually the hole in your heart that was magically healed.

oh and all of this is happening while anthropomorphic soap bubbles float around and transform into butterflies when it's a full moon bc it looks pretty on screen.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Sounds loving dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:goatdrugs: