Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Suburban Dad posted:

People on Reddit were melting down, it was great

Squiggle posted:

Yeah, yeah, the people on Reddit :smugbert:

:master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

aarstar posted:

Patiently waiting for OLED glossy vs. matte deck screen reviews. I’ve been annoyed with my 512 gb LCD screen, but I also don’t really want to open the deck to upgrade the SSD.

it’s fun! it’s easy! you feel like a hacker!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

Russ from Retro Game Corps specifically bought a 512 glossy to do that comparison I believe so hopefully he’ll get it soon and get that video out. Im also curious even though I already bought the drat OLED LE.

He was really harping on matte not being a good choice for an OLED screen and while I can see his point I just don’t think colors that “pop” more are worth the glare.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Squiggle posted:

TotK comes with a native FSR option? huh

To be specific, the emulator has fsr.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Tiny Timbs posted:

He was really harping on matte not being a good choice for an OLED screen and while I can see his point I just don’t think colors that “pop” more are worth the glare.

I figure oled TV manufacturers aren't making better anti-glare options now because it sucks so much.

EVIL Gibson posted:

To be specific, the emulator has fsr.

Gooootcha okay, FSR on a Switch game sounded new

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

punished milkman posted:

i’m also seeing this :canada:

I've bumped up to "Packaged Items" now, but still see the backlog warning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kragger99 posted:

I've bumped up to "Packaged Items" now, but still see the backlog warning.

where are you viewing this? I don’t see a diagram like that on my purchase history entry

E: ah, found it. I want to meet the clown who designed the app UI

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

where are you viewing this? I don’t see a diagram like that on my purchase history entry

E: ah, found it. I want to meet the clown who designed the app UI

You should have a "View Shipping Details" link on the Steam Deck line of your Purchase History.

Alternatively, seems to be https://store.steampowered.com/account/transactiondetails/(your order number here)/

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Squiggle posted:

I figure oled TV manufacturers aren't making better anti-glare options now because it sucks so much.

Gooootcha okay, FSR on a Switch game sounded new

TOTK does use FSR1, DigitalFoundry notes it here: https://www.eurogamer.net/the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-the-digital-foundry-verdict
For some reason Splatoon 3 also uses FSR1: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-splatoon-3-hones-and-refines-the-series-to-new-heights
Nintendo Switch Sports also uses FSR1
Some third party games like Sonic Frontiers and No Man's Sky use FSR (but aren't relevant on Deck because just play the PC versions, c'mon).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Computer monitor MFGs are though. It doesn’t suck so much and glare can be a real issue for some users so I’m glad it’s a thing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Computer monitor MFGs are though. It doesn’t suck so much and glare can be a real issue for some users so I’m glad it’s a thing.

Same! Sorry, that was written weird, they are making them, which they wouldn't do if there weren't SOME value to it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Same! Sorry, that was written weird, they are making them, which they wouldn't do if there weren't SOME value to it

Yeah I’m not sure in the end if it’s actually worth it for valve to further separate the SKUs by having a high end deck with a glossary screen. Especially since the SSD upgrade is pretty simple now.

I’ve always had issues with glare through so I’m probably way more aware of it than other people.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mine has a tracking number but hasn't shipped it seems. Anybody know where they're shipping out of? It was around Chicago last time iirc which could mean I have it before leaving town for Thanksgiving. Only would need about a hundred hours to set up and download crap onto it again, heh.

Squiggle posted:

Yeah, yeah, the people on Reddit :smugbert:

People on Reddit were cursing valve and seemed super pissed off. It was decidedly more nerd rage than I saw on here at least, haha.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 18, 2023

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Mine is showing packaged, but not shipped. 512gb model. If it's shipping from Illinois, I could just drive over and pick it up. It'd be about an 8 or so hour total trip I imagine...but I would do it!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Not only is mine Packaged and ready to go, I got my new 6E router in and found out how WAY behind I've been on network hardware.

Getting a gig on my cellphone wifi? Get outta here!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rolo posted:

Getting a gig on my cellphone wifi? Get outta here!

With a perfectly spherical cell phone in a vacuum, yeah. But it’ll probably speed up a fair bit anyway!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Pirate Jet posted:

Put my LE order in at 10:28 PST, still on “Payment Processed.” Was anyone able to get an LE order in before me? It’s unclear how much the server issues impacted the queue.

"Purchased: Nov 16 @ 10:19am"
I believe I got my order in for the LE the minute people stopped receiving errors and my status still says "Processed payment." I'm just glad that I was able to order one and will hopefully get it before my 3 week long international trip in December.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

ihatepants posted:

"Purchased: Nov 16 @ 10:19am"
I believe I got my order in for the LE the minute people stopped receiving errors and my status still says "Processed payment." I'm just glad that I was able to order one and will hopefully get it before my 3 week long international trip in December.

I got my LE order in at the same time as you and I got a tracking number for it about 40 minutes ago.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Genovera posted:

I got my LE order in at the same time as you and I got a tracking number for it about 40 minutes ago.

Are you in the US?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My Steam Deck LE was estimated 2-4 weeks but… Shows that it’s packaged! They can’t just be sitting on it for a month, right?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Animal posted:

Are you in the US?

Yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Automata 10 Pack posted:

My Steam Deck LE was estimated 2-4 weeks but… Shows that it’s packaged! They can’t just be sitting on it for a month, right?

yeah that’s what I’m assuming. FedEx comes by every day!

I’m hoping what happened is that the logistics side said “holy poo poo that could take a while” during the first burst and then figured poo poo out after

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would trust “packaged and ready to go” more than an estimated delivery time from yesterday.

Shits prolly just getting out faster than estimated.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

During the Long Queue Darktimes Decks were all shipped in bulk on the Wednesday if I remember right. I doubt they’re just doing one ship day now but they probably have a scheduled courier pick up that packaged Decks are going to be waiting for.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My LE just updated to being delivered on Tuesday. I say this now knowing I’m just adding to the pages of shipping updates that are about to come.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

My LE just updated to being delivered on Tuesday. I say this now knowing I’m just adding to the pages of shipping updates that are about to come.

It’s cool thanks for telling us. I hope I’m next to post. It’s like a cargo cult ritual.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Looking for some suggestions...

I'm a substitute teacher at a high school and just took a long term assignment covering for a teacher who has been gone the entire quarter, meaning these kids have never even met him, never had any any kind of assignments or instruction or work whatsoever, and are very used to the class being a chill hangout period. They're loving out of control, honestly. Like I could probably get fired if admin found out what I let go on in there.

Anyway, in an attempt to get some kind of response from them, I offered to bring my steam deck today and have a fighting game tournament. They all wanted to play Smash, so I brought my switch instead, but it worked so well at getting them to listen that I think I'll do this every Friday, on the condition that they don't piss me off during the week. I'd really like to bring the deck and get them some variety. Smash every week would get boring, and there's a club that plays it pretty much every day at lunch, so the kids in that club are just going to dominate. I have some fighting games. I'm going to try to get them to play SF6 or Guilty Gear Strive. I want to see if I can convince them that Nidhogg is cool. However, I'm thinking some of those indie couch games might be good too. Things a bunch of kids could play at once. I loved playing Crawl with my friends, but don't think I could get them into it. I do think I could get them into stuff like Broforce, or Towerfall Ascension, or Duck Game, though.

I'm going to try to get them to play Streets of Rage 4 by telling them they get to beat the poo poo out of a bunch of cops.

So I'm looking for suggestions for things I can run on a Deck that'd hold teenagers' attention that isn't Fortnite. Is there a good splitscreen FPS that isn't screencheat? Things like that would be great.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Subjunctive posted:

The “part of the spec” that’s going to reduce that is just that the signals don’t reach as far, so not as many devices will be in Wifi6-interference range.

i get it yeah, but there are a lot of people who like me live in condos, apartments, and cities. so unless that reduced range is under ~5 ft, i'm going to see other devices from other people any they're going to cause interference. and if it is less than 5 feet and i'd need an AP in every room to accommodate, the rest of my sarcasm starts from there

infinite99 posted:

My LE order went in at 10:20 PST and my shipment status is still Processing. When I click on View Shipment Details the shipping status shows Processed Payment. Not really sure if anything is going on though. I never got an email confirming my purchase but it's in the purchase history on my profile so it's probably good?

i got my order in around 10:15 and it was showing ' processing' up until about an hour ago and it now shows packaged. seems like that pipeline is either very well oiled or not oiled enough

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

harrygomm posted:

i get it yeah, but there are a lot of people who like me live in condos, apartments, and cities. so unless that reduced range is under ~5 ft, i'm going to see other devices from other people any they're going to cause interference. and if it is less than 5 feet and i'd need an AP in every room to accommodate, the rest of my sarcasm starts from there

yeah, you’ll still see your neighbours’ APs, but you won’t see your neighbours’ neighbours’ neighbours’ APs, so it should be better

I’m in a city (though in an SFH) and I can see 15-20 networks at any given time on 5GHz or 2.4GHz. I’m hoping that’s more like 5 on 6GHz

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My regular 1TB is processing.

I'm glad that the matte screen isn't just an LE thing, I loving hate the glossy screen and having the refractive layer built into the bezel instead of laid on top like a screen protector makes a huge difference in terms of screen brightness.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mine says Monday end of day. They are indeed coming from Illinois (Addison). The only benefit to living in the Midwest, I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This Half-Life game runs pretty well on the Deck.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Suburban Dad posted:

Mine says Monday end of day. They are indeed coming from Illinois (Addison). The only benefit to living in the Midwest, I guess.

I wish they'd let me just drive down there and pick mine up myself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My, "within the first minute" order is now Packaged. Hooray!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I saw one review mention the screws are better on the OLED. That's great if so - I had a really hard time when changing the backplate for my old Steam Deck because the screws were some of the shittiest screws I've ever encountered and a couple just instantly stripped. In the end I was fortunately able to extract them using a kit from iFitIt (after trying a bunch of other stuff - one screw was about as stripped as it's possible for a screw to be, couldn't even tell there were ever "+" shaped grooves in it).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
When I ordered my OLED an hour and a half after sales went up I didn't expect I'd get it this fast.

It's apparently supposed to show up on Tuesday. They really figured this poo poo out since the launch of the LCD, huh?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd imagine the demand for an OLED Steam Deck is nowhere near what the demand for the LCD Deck was. There are probably a large portion of LCD-havers like myself for whom the features the OLED Deck brings to the table are nice but not enough to be a really compelling reason to upgrade. And then let's not forget that the LCD Deck was unproven, meaning Valve had more trouble sourcing parts (IIRC the OLED screens in the new Decks come from the same manufacturer as the OLED Switch?). Or that the LCD Decks were announced in the middle of a global pandemic and released at a point where there were still near-universal supply chain issues resulting from that pandemic. So yes, the Deck is much more stacked in favor of a smooth release this time, so much so that Valve didn't even bother with the reservation system they did for the initial release of the LCD Deck and it STILL went smoother.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Well this is exceeding expectations quite a bit.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Suburban Dad posted:

Well this is exceeding expectations quite a bit.

You don't happen to live in Valve's basement. Do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Commander Keene posted:

I'd imagine the demand for an OLED Steam Deck is nowhere near what the demand for the LCD Deck was. There are probably a large portion of LCD-havers like myself for whom the features the OLED Deck brings to the table are nice but not enough to be a really compelling reason to upgrade. And then let's not forget that the LCD Deck was unproven, meaning Valve had more trouble sourcing parts (IIRC the OLED screens in the new Decks come from the same manufacturer as the OLED Switch?). Or that the LCD Decks were announced in the middle of a global pandemic and released at a point where there were still near-universal supply chain issues resulting from that pandemic. So yes, the Deck is much more stacked in favor of a smooth release this time, so much so that Valve didn't even bother with the reservation system they did for the initial release of the LCD Deck and it STILL went smoother.

There’s just a general maturity to the entire process at this stage. Valve will have a much better handle on expected shipping numbers, their own production schedule, getting them out of the door etc.

I think the next challenge will be when they’re launching a product that a much greater number of customers will want to upgrade to, in addition to a potential sudden increase in new customers. That’s gonna make the Steam Deck 2 launch interesting.