Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Thatll being em back, good job mr musk

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Data Graham posted:

That's the thing, rear end in a top hat he may have been but he really did care about making people's lives better through technology. From the very beginning to the very end. He was fanatically devoted to it above all else. His assholery was in service of that fanaticism.

He had hubris about how nobody else seemed able or willing to uphold the same kinds of high standards he insisted on, which led to anticompetitive behavior once Apple became dominant. It made the Apple brand impenetrable and offputting. But he always just wanted everything to be beautiful. All the way down, not just skin deep.

He was weird and singular and I have to admire him no matter how much I admonish myself against hero worship. There's not many like him around.

Musk sure as gently caress ain't one.

Everything positive that could be said about Steve Jobs' business acumen could also be said about a street hustler with a mean steak, or a charlatan magician.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Data Graham posted:

That's the thing, rear end in a top hat he may have been but he really did care about making people's lives better through technology. From the very beginning to the very end. He was fanatically devoted to it above all else. His assholery was in service of that fanaticism.

He had hubris about how nobody else seemed able or willing to uphold the same kinds of high standards he insisted on, which led to anticompetitive behavior once Apple became dominant. It made the Apple brand impenetrable and offputting. But he always just wanted everything to be beautiful. All the way down, not just skin deep.

He was weird and singular and I have to admire him no matter how much I admonish myself against hero worship. There's not many like him around.

Musk sure as gently caress ain't one.
on the design front, how much of that can/should be attributed to Jony Ive? he was the key design person there for all of their most successful product launches after Jobs returned to Apple

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They’re gonna make up a technical glitch to delay the launch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

mannerup posted:

on the design front, how much of that can/should be attributed to Jony Ive? he was the key design person there for all of their most successful product launches after Jobs returned to Apple

Jony Ive was a nobody in the ID department that Steve hand picked to run it. And Jony is widely acknowledged to hugely benefit from Steve’s editing, Jony was pushed out of Apple after Steve was out for refusing to listen to anyone but Steve to stop making dumb poo poo.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I can't tell if this is a troll or severe silicone valley poisoning.

I think I'm more angry about that than anything. We live in a world where this has a chance to be a real guy.

I hate that. No human should be so empty.

:negative::negative::negative::negative:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jobs pushing the "don't ask the customer what they want show them what they want" is actually a pretty good thing in the tech world of MBAs running wild and focus groups. The ipad was mocked as a giant ipod touch when it was unveiled but it immediately and completely killed the whole windows pocket pc with a stylus crap that the windows vendors were dicking around with.

Musk on the other hand thinks the customer is him so just wants poo poo that he finds hilarious or cool or epic

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 18, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mannerup posted:

Most of the hardware, sure. Of course Ive had plenty of blind spots (like making everything as thin as humanly possible, whether or not it led to bendy phones or keyboards that self-destructed. But hey it's THIN!). But yeah his design sense always led to a physically beautiful and compelling product.

Jobs' thing was about the interface and the gestalt of how things worked as a system. Modern MacOS is still a direct descendant of NeXTSTEP, with many of the same underlying characteristics that came mostly from Avie Tevanian and his vision for what the OS should be like, which was Jobs' whole thing at NeXT aimed at businesses/institutions. And famously the iPod's biggest breakthrough wasn't in its capacity or its feature set, but in the wheel-based navigation which let you scroll quickly through a list of a thousand songs without having to hammer a button a thousand times. He didn't come up with stuff like that himself but he could instantly identify when an idea like that was the future and throw the entire company behind it.

He also would cling tenaciously to dumb ideas for far too long (like some of the later iPod designs like the ones with the identical touch-sensitive buttons, or the puck mouse), and we'll never really know how the dynamic between him and Ive really worked in practice. They probably talked each other into any number of bad corners and neither wanted to back down.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

the future of art is beautiful..

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wasnt jobs a legit phonephreaker?

also didnt job's name an OS version after his kid? can moose even name one kid.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

PhazonLink posted:

it was a whole pc, apple lisa

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

Wow, where did you get that pair of AQdę5793loš4ł
They look like the ones I saw in the store!

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

what got him involved with Steve Wozniak, whose partnership made Apple possible as a company

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PhazonLink posted:

You seem to be forgetting about Elon's favorite child, X Æ A-Xii, namesake of X, The Everything App

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Perfectly articulated said by @benshapiro

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

Captain Hygiene posted:

You seem to be forgetting about Elon's favorite child, X Æ A-Xii, namesake of X, The Everything App

I still don’t know how to pronounce that, is it supposed to be unpronounceable?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

JustCallMeDC posted:

the parents of the child have different interpretations of how to pronounce their child's name

quote:

Grimes said “X” stands for “the unknown variable”. Meanwhile, “Æ” is the Elven spelling of AI, which is shorthand for artificial intelligence and the word for “love” in several languages, such as Japanese.

“A-12 = precursor to SR-17 (our favourite aircraft). No weapons, no defenses, just speed. Great in battle, but non-violent,” she added. The “A” in the name also represents “Archangel”, the title of a song by Burial that she has previously described as her favourite.

[...]

Grimes and Musk seem to have different ideas of how to pronounce the name. “It’s just X, like the letter X. Then AI. Like how you said the letter A then I,” Grimes said.

Musk, meanwhile, told podcast host Joe Rogan: “I mean, it’s just X, the letter X. And then, the Æ is, like, pronounced ‘Ash’... and then, A-12, A-12 is my contribution,” he said.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SR-17 (our favourite aircraft) lol, that's always a good one

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

mannerup posted:

the parents of the child have different interpretations of how to pronounce their child's name

Can I call them Steve instead?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Captain Hygiene posted:

please do not forget that elon's favourite child is, in fact, named X AE A-Xii because California doesn't allow you to do Æ

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes the lockheed black bird, a aircraft of non violent peace . oh and a spyplane that got shotdown and made things tenser for a while?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

priznat posted:

I love how the media still often refers to Musk as “mercurial” lmao

He certainly seems to have been huffing the vapour of it, at least.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes the lockheed black bird, a aircraft of non violent peace . oh and a spyplane that got shotdown and made things tenser for a while?

the U-2 got shot down and the SR-71 was the answer to that

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mannerup posted:

Elven spelling? I'm pretty sure neither Sindarin nor Quenya use ash? Just the usual modern Latin characters with lots of accents. What Elven language does she think she's citing?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The ancient language of Keming

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

MrQwerty posted:

the U-2 got shot down and the SR-71 was the answer to that

They deserved it for putting their album on people's phones

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

big black turnout posted:

lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Elven spelling? I'm pretty sure neither Sindarin nor Quenya use ash? Just the usual modern Latin characters with lots of accents. What Elven language does she think she's citing?

Maybe she means Old English, which uhh … close I guess

Needs more photo ops of her pretending to read the HoME books in a leotard

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

JustCallMeDC posted:

I pronounce it in my mind as high-pitched screeching. Sort of like imitating the sound of metal scraping on metal, but with vocal cords.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna pick a name for my child in my favorite language, Mojibake

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

big black turnout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6Z-OFne24

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

there was no reason for for someone to be in captivity for nearly 2 years for this

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
has anyone figured out musks politics yet?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

ded posted:

has anyone figured out musks politics yet?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

gently caress man, this would be some of the best satire I've seen of AI art if it was on the SA front page or Cracked when it used to be good. It's depressing that I literally cannot tell if the dude is serious or not.

The fact that he's a nazi cryptobro (but I repeat myself) and therefore would not understand art in the slightest makes the possibility of this being their legit opinion scary

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Circle Nine posted:

i think the only reason big companies are still on x, the everything app, is brand image protection. sure you can say we're not going to be on x, the everything app, anymore but then elon is gonna auction off your handle to the highest bidder who will inevitably be someone combating the Woke Mind Virus and then cause a whole ruckus for you.

I think it's more momentum.

They already have the Twitter social media team, the widget that ties their website to posts and their Twitter account printed on packaging. There were huge amounts of cash spent establishing all of these things, but maintaining them only takes a trickle.

So... why rock the boat? Everything is still in place and even though Twitter has become X (the everything site for Nazi's and a billionaire zonked out on ketamine) are you gonna be the guy to tell the higher ups that all that money establishing your "Twitter brands" is now just ashes, or are you gonna just remain silent? Besides, who knows, maybe your Twi... X account might still rope some customers towards your company.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

“I’m socially very liberal,” he said before launching into a long rant about the Woke Mind Virus and trans people.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

R.L. Stine posted:

the future of art is beautiful..
Well, it keeps the feeling of solitude (and increases it by making the humans look even smaller in the piece) and adds a shitload of pointless commercial idiocy so it's kinda more accurate to the modern world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725771191644758037