Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 16 MBP carrying case? Really want something smaller that will hold the laptop, charger, mouse, and an extra cable.

I have water field case that I used with my 15 MBP but I never really cared for it. I'm willing to pay a bit more for something decent but not outrageous obviously.

I think Bellroy makes nice things.

https://bellroy.com/products/laptop-sleeve?color=black&material=ripstop_recycled&size=16in#slide-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks everyone! These are some good choices I appreciate it!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hey all, I know very little about Apple products. Looking to get my partner a newer iPad for Christmas because her Mac is ancient and she has her own ceramics business so literally anything would be an improvement. I think her laptop is like from 2006 or 2008. Ideally she could use it for both her ceramics design and website design plus her part time job that is reliant on MS Office programs. Ability to connect to monitor is a big plus.

Waiting for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday but thinking like a previous iPad Pro may cover both of those?

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hey all, I know very little about Apple products. Looking to get my partner a newer iPad for Christmas because her Mac is ancient and she has her own ceramics business so literally anything would be an improvement. I think her laptop is like from 2006 or 2008. Ideally she could use it for both her ceramics design and website design plus her part time job that is reliant on MS Office programs. Ability to connect to monitor is a big plus.

Waiting for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday but thinking like a previous iPad Pro may cover both of those?

There is an iPad thread that can definitely help you out more. But for the purposes you're describing a much more elegant solution would be a MacBook Air with M1 or m2 chip!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

I tried for about 18 months to make an iPad Pro work as a laptop replacement, Magic Keyboard case and all, and it did the job okay but there were lots of compromises and I still had a desktop pc to fall back on. I wouldn’t run a business off it. Definitely worth getting. MacBook Air or something first. It’s not even underpowered, it’s just the OS holding it back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I tried for about 18 months to make an iPad Pro work as a laptop replacement, Magic Keyboard case and all, and it did the job okay but there were lots of compromises and I still had a desktop pc to fall back on. I wouldn’t run a business off it. Definitely worth getting. MacBook Air or something first. It’s not even underpowered, it’s just the OS holding it back.

Also you can probably get an M1 or M2 air for less than the cost of all that at this point. If not less it’s going to be really drat close.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

MarcusSA posted:

Also you can probably get an M1 or M2 air for less than the cost of all that at this point. If not less it’s going to be really drat close.

Yea looks like the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard is $744 and the Air (refurbed M1 from Amazon, but still a decent computer) is $678...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

Yea looks like the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard is $744 and the Air (refurbed M1 from Amazon, but still a decent computer) is $678...

I love my iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard but it can be really hard to justify the price unless it really really fits your needs.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I fell for when they announced MS office working good on iPads a couple years back and it’s just a complete shitshow and I hate it and I would recommend sticking with an actual computer. Maybe I’m too stupid to understand how sharing and annotations/tracking changes works on iOS/iPadOS Office but I have never gotten it to work in a way that was compatible with collaborative work. Stopped installing it on new computers and Pages works so much better even with people using windows on the other end it’s ridiculous, probably should delete the MS office apps off my iOS devices too.

Or maybe I just haven’t grasped it yet how to use it properly. I certainly wouldn’t rely on it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Good to know, thanks all.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The only MS Office app I use on any non-computer is Outlook, and only because I have preferred Outlook for basically my entire career, and that is one of my many flaws :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has a lot of their Black Friday pricing on MacBooks live now. They also have BTO options on sale so things like 16gb/512gb Air configs are included as well

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/all-laptops/macbooks/pcmcat247400050001.c?id=pcmcat247400050001

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

edit: wrong thread

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skeezy posted:

Lmfao @ Intel iPad.

G6 iPad. it'd be 4" thick, have 90-minute battery life, and would cause second degree burns after 15 minutes of use.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Shedding a single anodised aluminium tear as I finally retire my ac Airport Extreme today after a decade of service. I'll never understand how the company pouring so much into HomeKit isn't still making these.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Fedule posted:

Shedding a single anodised aluminium tear as I finally retire my ac Airport Extreme today after a decade of service. I'll never understand how the company pouring so much into HomeKit isn't still making these.

🫡 What did you end up replacing it with?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not OP but I have had similar ease of use and success with my Amplifi Alien. I actually have two in a mesh now, I'm too lazy to tear into my house for a proper ethernet backbone so I even just use 5GHz :shrug:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fedule posted:

Yeah, it’s a real shame Google/Nest seems to be gaining in popularity in the router space while Apple doesn’t offer any comparable product.

You’d think they’d be able to come up with some really cool mesh system with repeaters in HomePods and Apple TVs or something.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I would absolutely buy a whole host of HomePods if they also became my mesh network. That just makes sense. Which is why Apple won't do it for a while :sigh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

I would absolutely buy a whole host of HomePods if they also became my mesh network. That just makes sense. Which is why Apple won't do it for a while :sigh:

Yup absolutely

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apple should’ve never left the wireless networking/router space

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

101 posted:

🫡 What did you end up replacing it with?

I'm gonna try a TP-Link deco, uh, I forget the model number but it's one of the Wi-Fi 6 ones. I wanted mesh because coverage was the main reason for retiring the Airport (I have an Express too but wiring this place with Ethernet is out of the question) and this one was relatively cheap (like £140 for a 3-pack) compared to newer models. There seem to be far too many TP-Link decos. I didn't even want one with 6, but I talked myself up from the next model down because it's Black Friday season. Also I ruled out Linksys Velops because I set some of those up for my dad once and the experience left me longing for the sweet release of death. I have heard TP-Link's setup is better. We will see.

The second, the second a notional actual Apple mesh drops, I will be back.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i ended up just going whole hog in the other direction with a hardware vpn box, discrete router and tplink omada aps

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

We went with a tplink deco of some sort a couple of years ago, when our airport died, also. It’s been solid. We have 3 around our medium sized 2 story house and we get perfect coverage everywhere.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Absolutely dismayed to find that TP-Link Decos can only be configured via their app and only through an account via the loving internet! I am going to scream! Who the gently caress is responsible for convincing a bunch of router manufacturers that this is acceptable, let alone wanted? How does the concept of mandatory cloud-managed wireless access points not make every engineer needed to build such a thing explode from stupidity?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
We've got a pair of Deco 6E's, they're great. Obviously would prefer Apple to have stayed in the space, but they'll do for now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yup absolutely

Same

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple should’ve never left the wireless networking/router space

Agreed

Yeast posted:

We've got a pair of Deco 6E's, they're great. Obviously would prefer Apple to have stayed in the space, but they'll do for now.

When I retired* my AirPort Time Capsule, I switched to a Synology RT6600AX with a couple of MR200ACs spread around for the mesh. Right now I use a channel for backhaul, but one of my long-term goals is to at least run cable from the room with the MR2000ACs back to the RT6600AX for wired backhaul.

I can't complaint though, it's been a solid, dependable unit.

* It now operates as a switch and also continues to have the 2TB drive as one of the Time Machine options, though not as the exclusive Time Machine backup.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have my M2 Max MBP hooked up to three screens by way of 2x on a Caldigit TB 3+ dock and one by way of HDMI. It works as well as I could hope but one of the screens from the dock will occasionally not come up when waking the machine from sleep. This is easily addressed by "re" docking the laptop to the dock but I'd prefer to not have to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a potential fix?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fedule posted:

Absolutely dismayed to find that TP-Link Decos can only be configured via their app and only through an account via the loving internet! I am going to scream! Who the gently caress is responsible for convincing a bunch of router manufacturers that this is acceptable, let alone wanted? How does the concept of mandatory cloud-managed wireless access points not make every engineer needed to build such a thing explode from stupidity?

Got a newish to link router and on the cloud login screen there’s a little icon to switch between the cloud thing and logging in locally.hopefully yours has this too. It’s not obvious.

Tp link also has a generic webpage that lets you log in without an app.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Fedule posted:

May I recommend to you a Synology router? Can be accessed via direct connection or via WiFi using a local address in the browser.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Has anyone seen any deals on 13" Macbook Airs (M1 or M2) with 16gb of RAM? I've seen tons of deals on 8gb ones, but it doesn't seem like 16gb ones are being discounted anywhere. I guess I could always go the refurb route.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

frogbs posted:

Has anyone seen any deals on 13" Macbook Airs (M1 or M2) with 16gb of RAM? I've seen tons of deals on 8gb ones, but it doesn't seem like 16gb ones are being discounted anywhere. I guess I could always go the refurb route.

The 16gig is BTO if I’m not mistaken so deals will be rare if at all.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

frogbs posted:

Best deal right now is a 16/512 Apple Refurbed 14” MacBook Pro for $1200 if you have a Micro Center nearby.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarcusSA posted:

The 16gig is BTO if I’m not mistaken so deals will be rare if at all.

Yeah, this loving sucks and it means that the real world cost to go from 8GB to 16GB of RAM is $450, not $200.

$450 for $15 of RAM.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

frogbs posted:

B&H has the Space Grat M2 Air 16/512 for $1349 which is $150 off. 256gb config is $1149
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1710353-REG/apple_mbam2sg_05_13_6_macbook_air_m2.html

I think Best Buy had them on sale as well but they're sold out.

Apple is also doing a $175 Apple Gift card with purchase of an M2 Air. I'm waiting to see if that qualifies on the education purchases as well. If so then that's $1379 + $175 gift card which is not a bad deal.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Best Buy only has a 16GB option for the 15" Air, the 13" is always limited to 8 from them. If you actually did want the 15" it's $100 more and with the 10 core rather than 8 core.
The B&H sale seems nice, they're a good vendor and it's ballpark same price as a refurb from Apple. Unless the refurbs qualify for the gift card?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got my 16 inch MBP case today lol

I also ordered a thin sleeve from Herschel which could come in a few days.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Nice case, grandpa.

Kidding, kidding, it looks great! Should be baller with a sleeve in there to secure things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apex Rogers posted:

Nice case, grandpa.

Kidding, kidding, it looks great! Should be baller with a sleeve in there to secure things.

Yeah the MBP is already a tight fit but the case I ordered seems pretty thin so it should fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, this loving sucks and it means that the real world cost to go from 8GB to 16GB of RAM is $450, not $200.

$450 for $15 of RAM.

Yeah, it sucks! The closest i've seen is a 16gb M1 Air refurbished for $1019, which is a $269 premium over the new 8gb M1 air I can get from Costco. And then at that point, why not spend $1,200 for an M2? Ugh, Apple!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I think i'm gonna see if I can limp along with 8gb for a while.