Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elviscat posted:

Are you hard of reading? Everyone's rates are around yours, except for the Canada crew, who have much higher liability limits and a different currency, except Gatos, who just found out they're getting gouged.

Mine's about $110 for the Bolt, I could get cheaper, but I really like my experience with USAA the 2 times I've had to use it in the last 15 years. E: and I carry higher than the minimums.

I too carry higher than the minimum and a Mach-E Premium costs $20k more than a fully loaded Bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Three Olives posted:

I too carry higher than the minimum and a Mach-E Premium costs $20k more than a fully loaded Bolt.

:wotwot::jerkbag::homebrew:

My stupid F-150 rental burned 20 gallons of gas to go right about the EPA listed range of my Bolt, I also got stuck in traffic for an hour on my way to the airport, which is way more annoying in a massive land barge with a 10 speed transmission, start-stop, and no ACC than in an tiny EV, apples to hand grenades comparison I know, but I was really missing my car.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 18, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Is this a good deal for an L2 charger? Deal of the day: Autel Home Level 2 EV Charger up to 50Amp, 240V, Indoor/Outdoor Car Charging Station, Flexible 25-Foot Cable,Hardwired, Silver https://a.co/d/ePT2x4w

It's about exactly what it should cost, the "sale" is a scam. You can buy a charger/station for even less, without any discount right on the same page

https://a.co/d/dTWHke6

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeeesh I thought ~$720 USD per annum for my Ioniq was excessive. Guess it's a bit different here as insurance is strictly for property damage, injuries are covered separately.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Twerk from Home posted:

We don't have plate scanners or anything like that, there's cities where 30% of all drivers are uninsured. Detroit in particular got up to 60% of all drivers driving without insurance before they changed the laws and did an amnesty where people without insurance could get legal without extra penalties: https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2021/11/30/amnesty-uninsured-drivers-michigan/8811570002/
There's a number of counties in California that are using plate scanners, and insurance is reported the DMV.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yeah, Automated License Plate Readers aren't ubiquitous yet, but they're getting more common and cheaper. A bunch of my local cops have ALPRs on their cruisers.

It's also a privacy nightmare, but the current US Supreme Court would rubber stamp an approval before going back to sucking christofascist dick.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 18, 2023

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
So I'm in a weird situation with my Model 3, lost both keycards. My wife has misplaced hers "somewhere in the house" and seems I got the wrong keycard back from a valet (It was right in front of the restaurant already, so he just handed me a card and my phone key worked as normal). Adding or removing a card requires an already paired card, so I can't even add the "wrong" card to have one available. I can order two new cards from Tesla for $40, but without an already paired card there's not much I can do. This a simple fix a service center could resolve, or am I gonna have to jump through hoops?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

:wotwot::jerkbag::homebrew:

My stupid F-150 rental burned 20 gallons of gas to go right about the EPA listed range of my Bolt, I also got stuck in traffic for an hour on my way to the airport, which is way more annoying in a massive land barge with a 10 speed transmission, start-stop, and no ACC than in an tiny EV, apples to hand grenades comparison I know, but I was really missing my car.

Ahhhh, it seems "Elon Musk" reported this post, thats been a couple of years since we have had Ol' Musk honor us with his presence.

I'm going to leave the report's fate to depend if big rocket fails or not later this evening. Failure = I file the report in Misc. Launch success = Musk can nominate a short probe length

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rather than working on any of the numerous UX issues, VW have added PayPal support (??? No idea what for) to the infotainment system in their latest update

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, you, uhhhhhhhh, might......wanna.....buy,like......50...000, cans of fire retardant.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Saukkis posted:

In Finland insurance is always only for the car, so my assumption is uninsured car would get fined the first time they drive by a plate scanning police.

In Sweden it's enforced automatically; there's a registry tied to the license plate (or title, I guess, in US terms) and the insurance companies report insurance status to that registry. If you don't buy insurance yourself you're automatically signed up for a really expensive government policy that covers only the mandatory bits (damage to third parties, mostly). Once you've purchased insurance you can't cancel it either. You can change insurance companies, but if you want to cancel it the insurance company will check the license plate registry and if you're still the owner and the plate is active you can't legally cancel the insurance. There are some special regulations about which companies are allowed to sell car insurance and how they sell it too; there's a bunch of rules in place to ensure everyone can get coverage at a reasonable rate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saukkis posted:

My impression is that in US insurance is more tied to the driver, is it associated with a car in any way? In Finland insurance is always only for the car, so my assumption is uninsured car would get fined the first time they drive by a plate scanning police.

It’s tied to the insurance provider wanting to make a massive profit.

Uninsured drivers getting fined doesn’t do anything to compensate insurers for the damage they cause.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s tied to the insurance provider wanting to make a massive profit.

Uninsured drivers getting fined doesn’t do anything to compensate insurers for the damage they cause.

My point was if you get a large fine every time you go for a drive it quickly becomes cheaper to buy the cheapest required insurance.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saukkis posted:

My point was if you get a large fine every time you go for a drive it quickly becomes cheaper to buy the cheapest required insurance.

Yeah and my point is it don’t help in the US

The cheapest required insurance doesn’t cover much in Virginia

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 18, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Saukkis posted:

My impression is that in US insurance is more tied to the driver, is it associated with a car in any way? In Finland insurance is always only for the car, so my assumption is uninsured car would get fined the first time they drive by a plate scanning police.

In Italy it's also tied to the number plate which creates a fun market of plates cloning services to not pay the insurance.

Talking about other silly things, I was shopping on amazon.it to get a IC-CPD for emergency charging and the choice is either alphabet soup or juice. Nothing else. I don't like the idea of connecting my car to random aliex stuff but a grand for a juice 2 is a bit too much for something i'll use once per year at best...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Too lazy to take pictures from the front at the moment but here's some butt shots of our new Bolt

:peanut:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I thought the bolt was on pause until the new battery for it was out?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Heck yeah my V60 PHEV has apparently landed off the ship and I should be getting it next week (probably next saturday)

Super excited :dance:

Now I gotta clear out my fuckin' garage so I can park it indoors unlike my other cars that I don't care about lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I thought the bolt was on pause until the new battery for it was out?

It's been extended twice to fulfill current orders, and make up for the UAW strike, then it'll take an indefinite hiatus while it's redesigned.

Fun Bolt feature I discovered yesterday, it automatically dips the defrost fan speed when it reads texts in robot voice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elviscat posted:

It's been extended twice to fulfill current orders, and make up for the UAW strike, then it'll take an indefinite hiatus while it's redesigned.

Fun Bolt feature I discovered yesterday, it automatically dips the defrost fan speed when it reads texts in robot voice.

That was something that totally makes sense but surprised me with my Mach-E, any time you are interacting with the car with voice, native voice, Alexia, Siri or just a phone call, they fan automatically drops to it's lowest setting and resumes when you are done.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Insane to see Tesla fanboys on Facebook defending Elon's tweet as "not antisemitic." Holy poo poo I am never buying one of these cars as long as this guy is in charge, I don't care whether they're a good value or not.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 1, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Saukkis posted:

It’s wild wild west out here, it’s always funny reading posts from places where people are more stringent rule followers.

Uninsured? Unregistered? No license? No problem!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Insane to see Tesla fanboys on Facebook defending Elon's tweet as "not antisemitic." Holy poo poo I am never buying one of these cars as long as this guy is in charge, I don't care whether they're a good value or not.

Same.

No ethical consumption in capitalism and all but yeah i can at least directly object to that much

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 1, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
As a Tesla owner, the most I will engage in Musk chat is to say: God I hate that loving moron. I hope there is a way to kick him off the brand sooner rather than later. Maybe the cybertruck will ultimately flop outside of a modest Delorean like following because it is one of the ugliest things on four wheels to ever reach the market and that will provide enough impetus to boot his rear end.

I just want to make a million twitter bots that automatically reply to all his tweets with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncVe2k6ddk

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 19, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok I knew my purchase was going too smooth without any annoyances and now someone from the dealership hopped on the email thread I had with the sales guy to offer me a ceramic coat. Jesus Christ it is 2023 why is this still a thing.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Say what you will about teslas, but the sales process is “push button, receive car” more or less without any mandatory add-ons, extended warrantees, nitrogen, ceramic, etc.

Nevermind the stupid configurators that force you to add various packages for certain features. The Germans are the worst about this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Volvo has a toe in the online but sadly it still goes through the dealership. The sales guy I have dealt with is fine but the auto group who owns the dealership is pretty notorious for trying to upsell. But the other Volvo dealership nearby is even worse.

Once they go full EV hopefully they’ll be more like polestar.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We had to deal with a Volvo finance guy for our Polestar and he called my wife naive and argued with her on our way out to the car because she kept pointing out that his paperwork was wrong throughout the deal closing process

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Frank Dillinger posted:

Say what you will about teslas, but the sales process is “push button, receive car” more or less without any mandatory add-ons, extended warrantees, nitrogen, ceramic, etc.

Nevermind the stupid configurators that force you to add various packages for certain features. The Germans are the worst about this.

Yes it is good that the ordering process is simplified, unfortunately this also means that every Tesla is forced to come with a copy of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Polestar ordering process was pretty much flawless, I ordered completely online, they delivered the car to my home address, a guy had me sign some paperwork and handed over the keys

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

As a Tesla owner, the most I will engage in Musk chat is to say: God I hate that loving moron. I hope there is a way to kick him off the brand sooner rather than later. Maybe the cybertruck will ultimately flop outside of a modest Delorean like following because it is one of the ugliest things on four wheels to ever reach the market and that will provide enough impetus to boot his rear end.

:same:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

That Works posted:

Same.

No ethical consumption in capitalism and all but yeah i can at least directly object to that much

:yeah:

And in the purely pragmatic sense, Musk also seems about 100x more likely than any normal corporate CEO to do something obviously stupid that destroys the company and ruin the value of Teslas in the process.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
FWIW his latest episode seems to be getting a fair amount of discussion in the WSJ, maybe this one ends up mattering a tiny bit (it prolly won’t. His family members and inner-circle loyalists are too enmeshed in the management/decision-making ownership of the company)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 20, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Whoops. Double post. My mistake

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So I managed to buy a Rav4 Prime but the charging cable isn't long enough to reach my outlet without moving a shitload of stuff around in my garage. Any suggestions?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So I managed to buy a Rav4 Prime but the charging cable isn't long enough to reach my outlet without moving a shitload of stuff around in my garage. Any suggestions?

Probably overkill but I bought this back in 2018 when I was in your situation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ECIP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

We had to deal with a Volvo finance guy for our Polestar and he called my wife naive and argued with her on our way out to the car because she kept pointing out that his paperwork was wrong throughout the deal closing process
What the hell? You should have walked away after that behavior IMO.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Awesome. What model and year? I have had my 2023 SE for just under a month and have about 2k on it so far. I’m happy to give tips or recommend accessories.

I’m regards to your cable question are you using the L1 charger it came with or an existing L2 charger? Depending on your garage does backing in the car or parking forward allow the cable to reach? An extension cord isn’t generally recommended and you need one capable of handling the amperage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mysteryberto posted:

Awesome. What model and year? I have had my 2023 SE for just under a month and have about 2k on it so far. I’m happy to give tips or recommend accessories.

I’m regards to your cable question are you using the L1 charger it came with or an existing L2 charger? Depending on your garage does backing in the car or parking forward allow the cable to reach? An extension cord isn’t generally recommended and you need one capable of handling the amperage.

2023 Rav4 Prime SE, color is Blueprint. I'm genuinely not sure how I managed to snag it. All the local dealers were saying things like "there are none in the region" or "the last person who ordered one waited a year" but I found it for sale about a hundred miles away, messaged the dealer, drove up sunday morning and got it and drove back Sunday afternoon. Drives beautifully. I drove the scenic route back to my house and it only shifted to using the gas tank for like the last ten minutes of the trip from what I could tell. It's funny driving it; I keep thinking it hasn't started when it's already moving, because I don't hear anything, and it doesn't seem to stress or strain at all when I accelerate, just smooth effortless power.

Just the L1 charger it came with.The problem with the charging situation is my garage is full of various and assorted crap (exercise equipment, etc.) and I'd always just parked in the driveway. There are exterior outlets on the house front and in the garage but they're all located more than the length of the charging cable away from that driveway parking spot. Backing in doesn't look like it would help due to how things line up. Sounds like my choices are either 1) move / rid myself of all that crap in my garage and actually park my car in it like an adult, 2) get a 10 gauge extension cord but that's not recommended, 3) have a new outlet installed on my house (how much should that cost? about?)

I haven't bought a new car in about 18 years though (I've been driving a 2006 Tacoma that whole time) so I have a lot of features to learn now. Is there a way to dim the touchscreen a bit when driving at night? Also what exactly are all these subscriptions the car wants me to sign up for? I'm still adjusting to the idea of a car with an app. Does it need to be a wifi hotspot? What happens if I say no to this data plan thing?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Also what exactly are all these subscriptions the car wants me to sign up for? I'm still adjusting to the idea of a car with an app. Does it need to be a wifi hotspot? What happens if I say no to this data plan thing?

Most modern cars have a data SIM inside to pull various services data, be it a mobile hotspot or live traffic. If you have your own nav solution on your phone, you can ignore most of them. The sole positive item in using the onboard nav with the paid services is that some cars will do battery optimization if you have charging stops suggested by the car in your planned trip. You can let it lapse and the onboard nav will act drunk for a while, nothing major.