Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I got Sleuth DLX because they were on clearance and I wanted something that was almost as good as Freerider Pro for pedalling a bike but didn’t have such a stiff sole. I wanted to be able to walk normally in them. They delivered on those expectations perfectly. They don’t have as much toe protection and I doubt that they’re as waterproof as the Freerider Pros, but I haven’t put the waterproofing to the test yet.

I’ve heard that Sleuths are basically Adidas Samba football/street shoe uppers on biking soles, but I never wore Sambas so I can’t say. The difference between the Sleuth and Sleuth DLX is the rubber of the soles. DLX uses the same soft and sticky “S1” as the Freerider. The non‐DLX Sleuth has more Vans‐like rubber, which they call “C4”. DLX is also optionally available in canvas, which you may or may not want.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Birkenstocks work really well on SPD-SL pedals in my experience.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone picking any black friday stuff up? MAAP has their sale up, but the discounts seem incredibly lovely. I ended up picking up a Rapha long sleeve/bib short combo with stacking coupons. I've never tried Rapha bibs, but I have one of their long sleeve jerseys and I love it.

Also looking to see if gravel bikes go on sale. A local bike shop has their R5-CXs for 40% off retail. Perfect bike for a 200 mile gravel race right?

edit: actually, a Trek checkpoint in a 54 and an R5-CX in a 56 seem to have almost identical geometry. Is that right?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 17, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Residency Evil posted:

I ended up picking up a Rapha long sleeve/bib short combo with stacking coupons

what'd you stack up? I only know about their 25% off coupon (the incredibly hard to guess EXTRA25)

if I end up getting a Castelli Perfetto it will be with their 30% off discount, which was a Strava deal but I bet is also their Black Friday deal. an acquaintance mentioned having "some kind of Castelli jacket" he was getting rid of that's in my size so waiting to hear back on that for the potential sweetest deal of all, a free jacket

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 17, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

abraham linksys posted:

what'd you stack up? I only know about their 25% off coupon (the incredibly hard to guess EXTRA25)

1111, which was also for 25%. Bib and top get a 20% bundle discount.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Platystemon posted:

I got Sleuth DLX because they were on clearance and I wanted something that was almost as good as Freerider Pro for pedalling a bike but didn’t have such a stiff sole. I wanted to be able to walk normally in them. They delivered on those expectations perfectly. They don’t have as much toe protection and I doubt that they’re as waterproof as the Freerider Pros, but I haven’t put the waterproofing to the test yet.

I’ve heard that Sleuths are basically Adidas Samba football/street shoe uppers on biking soles, but I never wore Sambas so I can’t say. The difference between the Sleuth and Sleuth DLX is the rubber of the soles. DLX uses the same soft and sticky “S1” as the Freerider. The non‐DLX Sleuth has more Vans‐like rubber, which they call “C4”. DLX is also optionally available in canvas, which you may or may not want.

Thanks for this, I hadn’t seen the DLX ones before, might pick up a pair if they go on sale on Black Friday.

Edit: oh wow, they’re already on sale, $36, down from $120!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 17, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
biketiresdirect has castelli stuff on sale but i dont know if they have the jacket you're looking at

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

edit: actually, a Trek checkpoint in a 54 and an R5-CX in a 56 seem to have almost identical geometry. Is that right?

Ok so now the r5-cx is 50% off. If the geometry is similar for a trek 54 (which I’ve ridden) versus the Cervelo in a 56, any reason not to get one as a bike for longer gravel races?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Math You posted:

I have been out of the thread for a while. Is there a reason boosting flat pedals gets sickos smiled repeatedly? Haha
Annoying clipless advocates mostly, and

The Fool posted:

my biggest barrier to any activity is the perceived effort involved in starting and stopping that activity

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Residency Evil posted:

Ok so now the r5-cx is 50% off. If the geometry is similar for a trek 54 (which I’ve ridden) versus the Cervelo in a 56, any reason not to get one as a bike for longer gravel races?

I doubt the r5cx has any frame mounts or as good of tire clearance as the trek. Reach, stack, and bb height are also all pretty different between the two.

Checkpoint is probably going to be a lot better choice for long gravel rides and races. Carbon one gets the frame storage compartment and isospeed thing, and trek makes half frame bags that bolt in. Fits 700x45 or 650x2.1 tires.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

jamal posted:

I doubt the r5cx has any frame mounts or as good of tire clearance as the trek. Reach, stack, and bb height are also all pretty different between the two.

Checkpoint is probably going to be a lot better choice for long gravel rides and races. Carbon one gets the frame storage compartment and isospeed thing, and trek makes half frame bags that bolt in. Fits 700x45 or 650x2.1 tires.

No, just has the standard bottle cages. Reach/stack seem within a cm or so on the 54 and the 56, which doesn't seem massive.

I guess cosplaying a cop could be fun!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my mom was visiting a few weeks ago and rented a checkpoint to go riding with me, seemed like a pretty nice bike

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh, just realized that the R5-CX comes with the road Force setup, so I'd have to switch the rear derailleur and cassette out.

Still something to think about I guess.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Speaking of shoes: my dog just chewed up my venerable shimano RC5 XC shoes I use for XC mtb/cyclocross/gravel riding. Anyone seen any equivalent shoes on big Black Friday discount? Looking for something with 2bolt pattern, Boa dial, looks racy. Don’t care about commuting/walking around/looking like a normie. I really only do off-road riding to humor my wife (I prefer road about 1000%) so I’m not looking to go full $400 Sidis or whatever. Mikes Bikes has a pair of Fizik shoes for $119 that look ok, anywhere else I should look?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

tylertfb posted:

Speaking of shoes: my dog just chewed up my venerable shimano RC5 XC shoes I use for XC mtb/cyclocross/gravel riding. Anyone seen any equivalent shoes on big Black Friday discount? Looking for something with 2bolt pattern, Boa dial, looks racy. Don’t care about commuting/walking around/looking like a normie. I really only do off-road riding to humor my wife (I prefer road about 1000%) so I’m not looking to go full $400 Sidis or whatever. Mikes Bikes has a pair of Fizik shoes for $119 that look ok, anywhere else I should look?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tylertfb posted:

What size foot?

https://www.sierra.com/shimano-sh-me502-mountain-bike-shoes-spd-for-men-and-women~p~3fhpt

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Any suggestions for a 700c x 25 road bike tire that is reasonably fast but also has good puncture protection? So much glass on my work commute route but I also want to enjoy going fast on my road bike if the weather is nice.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Any suggestions for a 700c x 25 road bike tire that is reasonably fast but also has good puncture protection? So much glass on my work commute route but I also want to enjoy going fast on my road bike if the weather is nice.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

Sort by puncture resistance and look for highest overall scores, the Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR 26 looks good if that's the top priority, and maybe the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance v2 25 if you're willing to compromise a bit of protection for better rolling resistance?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

amenenema posted:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

Sort by puncture resistance and look for highest overall scores, the Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR 26 looks good if that's the top priority, and maybe the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance v2 25 if you're willing to compromise a bit of protection for better rolling resistance?

Yeah I was looking at those or Schwalbe durano plus addix. The Pirellis seem hard to find locally but have significantly higher puncture protection and are lighter than the duranos for the same rolling resistance and wet grip.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
The GP5k AS seem like a good compromise with slightly thicker protection than the regular GP5k. I'd personally go that direction.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I ended up with a Durano plus addix in 25c as that was what was easily available, will see how it fares over time. I've had larger marathons and duranos on other bikes and they've all been a pain to fit, getting them on the rim is ok but I found that I had to massively over-inflate the tire to get the bead to really seat (up to 140 psi and left it for a while), otherwise when I spun the tire it was clearly not sitting evenly and 'hopping'.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Got me some Raceface Chesters in turquoise. They're a slightly darker shade than the STATE wordmark, but the color tone is just about right. Can't wait to slap these on!

Thanks for the suggestions, bike Goons!

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Blackhawk posted:

I ended up with a Durano plus addix in 25c as that was what was easily available, will see how it fares over time. I've had larger marathons and duranos on other bikes and they've all been a pain to fit, getting them on the rim is ok but I found that I had to massively over-inflate the tire to get the bead to really seat (up to 140 psi and left it for a while), otherwise when I spun the tire it was clearly not sitting evenly and 'hopping'.

I have the same issue with my Duranos right now. I've tried the soapy water trick, and still I'm getting some unevenness. I'll have to give it yet another go today :sigh:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shadowhand00 posted:

The GP5k AS seem like a good compromise with slightly thicker protection than the regular GP5k. I'd personally go that direction.

$$$, and I’m not sure their puncture protection is up to commuting on glass.

-Anders posted:

I have the same issue with my Duranos right now. I've tried the soapy water trick, and still I'm getting some unevenness. I'll have to give it yet another go today :sigh:

Just go for a short ride and they’ll probably fix themselves.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Because I'm very smart and have incredible timing, I decided November is the perfect time to pick up the road bike again. Went for my sixth ride of the last two weeks this morning. Still mostly getting myself stretched out and comfortable on the bike again, so most rides are <1hr at the moment, and I live in a river valley, so it's nearly dead flat.

Fortunately I didn't gain that much weight, so my gear still fits. It was 0°C this morning, so the Rapha winter tights were crucial.

Mostly, riding bikes is just good, actually.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I'm going out on a ride this afternoon to see the Trail Critters, and I figured I'd take my road bike. Then I got the Race Face Chesters in, and I just tossed 'em on the bike.

First, they look sweet. The color's shade is a bit darker than what I was going for, but the tone is right, and getting something in a lighter shade might have introduced more green than I want. I think I'll spray-paint the Wahoo mount to closer match everything else at some point, and who knows what I'll teal-quoise next.

I went on a test ride in my Dr. Venture loafers, and gee manently do those traction pins mean business! These loafers are about the cheapest real shoe you can buy at Walmart, and on these pedals, I almost felt clipped-in. Neat!

Seriously, I'm perfectly happy with the stock flats on my Escape because I mostly use it for tooling around town and running errands. I might have to consider getting some Chesters for it, because those rides are bumpy and my feet sometimes slip. Though, since it's a commuter, I might get some Rides instead. Or use the now-extra set of aluminum alloy pedals I have.

Edit: also, my quest for a road/gravel bike kickstand is over, I guess. I'll just carry that brick with me.

Edit again: I will probably take this on my ride instead of the Content. It's cold, so it's not like I'll be going fast, and I'm going to take some pictures, and... this is pretty.

Actually, both my State bikes are things I have and ride because they're pretty. I mean, sure, they ride fine, especially for the price I paid. But sometimes it's nice to have something mostly because it looks cool.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 18, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tarlibone posted:

First, they look sweet. The color's shade is a bit darker than what I was going for, but the tone is right, and getting something in a lighter shade might have introduced more green than I want. I think I'll spray-paint the Wahoo mount to closer match everything else at some point, and who knows what I'll teal-quoise next.

But sometimes it's nice to have something mostly because it looks cool.

This is why I was arguing against tanwalls. You're going for a specific color contrast and then also have the tan going on -- can be too much.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of tanwall:

I'm "restoring"/building up an old Huffy ladies' style step thru "mountain bike" that I got at goodwill for $10 into a cruiser/very short distance commuter/beach bike, complete with color matched cooler panniers

It's gonna be sick

It needs 26" tubes/tires, how good/bad are the Billy Bonkers for that purpose?

They seem to have a reputation for being instagram-pretty but not durable/not made for streets.

I don't need tanwall, tanwall is probably too much for what this bike is gonna look like (its stock colors are grey, teal, and purple and I'm color coordinating the new grips, pedals, and cable housings) but I like the option, and more importantly I like the price. I don't wanna drop $100 on tires for this thing I've already spent too much as it is. Any other tire suggestions I should consider? In all honesty this bike isn't gonna see a fuckton of use, it's a fun bike and not a workhorse that I'm gonna like ever be reliant on, but I don't want to take it out on a street and immediately lose a tire/etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I realised I should've bought tan walls about six months into gravel riding because my sidewalls look like absolute poo poo now and it's impossible to get them to look clean again

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I realised I should've bought tan walls about six months into gravel riding because my sidewalls look like absolute poo poo now and it's impossible to get them to look clean again

Try a Mr clean eraser

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of tanwall:

I'm "restoring"/building up an old Huffy ladies' style step thru "mountain bike" that I got at goodwill for $10 into a cruiser/very short distance commuter/beach bike, complete with color matched cooler panniers

It's gonna be sick

It needs 26" tubes/tires, how good/bad are the Billy Bonkers for that purpose?

They seem to have a reputation for being instagram-pretty but not durable/not made for streets.

I don't need tanwall, tanwall is probably too much for what this bike is gonna look like (its stock colors are grey, teal, and purple and I'm color coordinating the new grips, pedals, and cable housings) but I like the option, and more importantly I like the price. I don't wanna drop $100 on tires for this thing I've already spent too much as it is. Any other tire suggestions I should consider? In all honesty this bike isn't gonna see a fuckton of use, it's a fun bike and not a workhorse that I'm gonna like ever be reliant on, but I don't want to take it out on a street and immediately lose a tire/etc.

Maxxis DTH has similar looks and is supposedly more durable. I just put a set on an old Trek 970 I’m fixing up but haven’t ridden it yet so I can’t personally vouch for them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

tarlibone posted:

it's weird how there seems to be only one shade of pink every pink bike accessory uses, and yet somehow it's absolutely impossible to get a bag, bottle cage, and bottle that all have the same color blue

:negative: i think maybe i'll try to get pedals that match that bottle cage and swap out that blue bottle

(alternatively, pink pedals? i feel like pink pedals look nice but pink bar tape sometimes is a bit much on a black bike...)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 18, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tarlibone posted:

Edit: also, my quest for a road/gravel bike kickstand is over, I guess. I'll just carry that brick with me.

doubles as a deterrent against punishment passes. what's not to like?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Heh.

First trip with the new pedals went great. Set a best speed for this bike, got pictures of the new metal sculptures along the trail loop, and stayed warm in the new kit.

While dismounting to get a picture, I managed to snag my new thermal bibs on the left pedal's pins. So, there's a tiny hole now. Nice. Oh well.

Still, it was great to ride in street shoes for 26 miles and feel so locked-in.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Speaking of pedals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8fwALQNmbE
this GCN video was a neat look at some of the manufacturing process of pedals (& saddles)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

almost asked this in the bike maintenance thread but it's a bit of a derail there:

what apps do y'all use with your quad locks/phone mounts that support turn-by-turn? i'm debating getting a quad lock now that i have a top tube bag i can leave my power bank in for charging (i have an iphone 13 mini so it blows through battery relatively fast, but the power bank can recharge it to full 2 or 3 times). i've been doing most of my route planning with ridewithgps (i do not trust google maps/etc routing at all around NYC, or in america in general tbh). i know it has an app, but also can export to whatever, so figure there might be more options out there i should look into

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I use Gaia GPS, but I've never used the turn by turn features.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

abraham linksys posted:

almost asked this in the bike maintenance thread but it's a bit of a derail there:

what apps do y'all use with your quad locks/phone mounts that support turn-by-turn? i'm debating getting a quad lock now that i have a top tube bag i can leave my power bank in for charging (i have an iphone 13 mini so it blows through battery relatively fast, but the power bank can recharge it to full 2 or 3 times). i've been doing most of my route planning with ridewithgps (i do not trust google maps/etc routing at all around NYC, or in america in general tbh). i know it has an app, but also can export to whatever, so figure there might be more options out there i should look into

I use a Garmin normally, but Komoot has turn by turn - you need to make a one time map purchase though.

I’d really recommend getting a cycling computer though unless you’re just going to do short city rides, that battery life issue is never not annoying.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

I have a paid subscription to RideWithGPS and I find it totally worth the expense. I can draw out routes and get turn-by-turn directions if I need navigation, which I often do if I'm doing a longer ride or riding in a new (to me) area. I can even create routes that allow for riding in areas not on the map, so I'm not stuck to the roads and trails. This is useful if I need to cut across a parking lot that doesn't show up as a series of roads on the map, or if I'm including a new bit of trail that isn't on the map yet but does actually exist.

When I'm using my phone for navigation, I use the RideWithGPS app. In fact, the one thing I miss about that app now that I mostly use my Wahoo for navigation is the ride analysis I get every mile that tells me my overall speed, overall moving speed, and the same stats for just the last mile I've ridden.

wooger posted:

I use a Garmin normally, but Komoot has turn by turn - you need to make a one time map purchase though.

I’d really recommend getting a cycling computer though unless you’re just going to do short city rides, that battery life issue is never not annoying.

Yeah, I agree with this, too. Once I started doing longer rides, the expense of a dedicated cycling computer started making a ton of sense for me. When I rode the 50-mile route for the penultimate Trailnet Classic ride this year, I had forgotten my Wahoo, so I had to use RWGPS in a top tube bag. By the time that ride was over, I had around 10% of my battery life left, if memory serves. Now, I wasn't sprinting all 50 miles, as that wasn't the point of the ride, but still, I'd have been in trouble if I had lost navigation toward the end of the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Running out of phone battery can be a significant safety issue regardless of any loss of directions/tracking