Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
No yeah, I have brought minimum wage labor to the wastelands for sure. There's also, I note, new dudes like sorcerers and poo poo appearing in some of these guy nests and one time giant puff tentacles vomited a grasshopper man at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Animal taming isn't great, they die way too easily. Its all about uh...making friends using trunchons and putting them on the wheel of friendship.

the normal versions of animals are pretty wimpy, but a greater shaleback or crocodile or whatever can carry you pretty far from the start, in my experience. it's only like a 20% chance with the correct normal food, but it's not like it's a struggle to keep scoopin' up babies

plus they can carry more than people so i like them more by default :colbert:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Thanks guys, I don't care much about the cosmetics in Conan for now but being able to build bridges and have archer npcs guarding your stronghold sounds like fun!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Verviticus posted:

if i basically exhausted the game a couple years ago on interloper, can i just dive right in and intuitively figure this extra stuff out or should i do the campaign or whatnot

Just dive in tbh. I've never played the campaign and I really don't feel like I'm missing out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The forsaken airfield is a pretty nice map, but it an be a real death trap if you hunt for signals before exploring it properly. The fog drops your visibility to basically nothing and there's not a lot of shelter.

I've ranted how much I am dissatisfied with TLD, but I still enjoyed the DLC content a lot. it gives you a good reason to roam the lands.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Conan's animals are shock troops for purges and getting around faster. Except the cats. Those are for putting all over your base and potentially freaking out your real cats with their meowing. Oh, and keep 1 shaleback or gazelle in the pen to make poop for fertilizer.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

piano chimp posted:

Just finished the Fortnite/Valheim/BotW/Dark Souls mashup Frozen Flame on early access after looking for something like Enshrouded to play that isn't just Valheim again.

It's a mixed bag.

Just wanted to say thank you very much for the review! I have been checking in on Frozen Flame periodically for like a year, but every time I see enough red flags in the steam reviews that I steer clear. Especially the ones that implied you couldn't do a single player/host your own server run and adjust the drop rates/building costs to something more reasonable.

Here's hoping that they address some of the issues in that new Cursed Land biome update they are promising.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

someone awful. posted:

the normal versions of animals are pretty wimpy, but a greater shaleback or crocodile or whatever can carry you pretty far from the start, in my experience. it's only like a 20% chance with the correct normal food, but it's not like it's a struggle to keep scoopin' up babies

plus they can carry more than people so i like them more by default :colbert:

One you complete the gathering skill tree you just ignore encumbrance. But until then a rhino or an elephant is a must have.

I just warn people this isn't like Ark where your dino pals are able to hold their own, if you're rhino gets attacked while gathering metal, you will have to save it from rocknoses until it gets some levels.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Verviticus posted:

if i basically exhausted the game a couple years ago on interloper, can i just dive right in and intuitively figure this extra stuff out or should i do the campaign or whatnot

It's all survival-only, actually. Part of the backend changes also make survival and story into separate executables (though you still get to story mode through the main menu) because the testing was getting bonkers for them to make sure new survival items/mechanics didn't break story mode and vice versa. Does mean that modding story mode is not possible anymore, though. Old saves won't work since then either, so you'll need to start a new game (completed story chapters remain marked as completed, you don't have to start completely over from chapter 1).

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jawnycat posted:

So, Abiotic Factor's alpha playtest is open currently. Just loving around in the tutorial so far, but it's everything I could have wanted thus far looks and sounds wise. I really like the crafting system, where you can choose the recipe for certain items, as your a scientist and your inventing the poo poo.

But yeah, it's a survival game heavily inspired by HL1 and SCP stuff, set INSIDE a black mesa esque complex during a disaster. Been keeping an eye on this for awhile now. Will make a fuller report, maybe, once I've played more.

Edit: yeah. this feels good. Sneaking around vents, making hl1 scientist noises, prospecting rooms for where would be a nice place to build a base...
Going back to this to say that I managed to play an hour or so of the play test and had a great time. My games group has put a lot of hours into 7D2D and I think it might be starting to run out of steam (partly because the server is starting to panic). I think this could be a winner for the survival game to replace it when the time comes. The setting really is superb.

Did anyone get to do much base building in the demo? I put a few bits and pieces down, but base building has never been my role in these games. The guys I play with do kind of love making cool things though, currently that's a huge tower base in 7D2D, so hopefully that's still possible in this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Redundant posted:

Going back to this to say that I managed to play an hour or so of the play test and had a great time. My games group has put a lot of hours into 7D2D and I think it might be starting to run out of steam (partly because the server is starting to panic). I think this could be a winner for the survival game to replace it when the time comes. The setting really is superb.

Did anyone get to do much base building in the demo? I put a few bits and pieces down, but base building has never been my role in these games. The guys I play with do kind of love making cool things though, currently that's a huge tower base in 7D2D, so hopefully that's still possible in this.
The trailers show you can eventually unlock walls and building block-style foundations to sort of freeform a base shape anywhere, but even if all you're doing is setting traps and crafting stations there's still a lot of versatility. I like that you can just take over a quiet room somewhere and fortify that as your main base, so you don't have to completely build from scratch. It's fun working with some existing architecture, very different from what I'm used to in the genre.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s telling that my friend who is an actual architect has put more time into 7D2D than any other survival game bar Valheim which he enjoys for the freedom of the building. 7D2D is wildly more restrictive when it comes to building but somehow it still hits levels he can enjoy.

It’s a good litmus test for me for “what games have good building” because if he bounces off of it I know that you’re getting more of “And also there’s building” instead of it being a focus.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Cross-posting myself from the Niche Sims thread, this could cross into a lot of various threads but I think this fits pretty well for survival:
I think I've posted about this game before, but everyone should take a new look:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Obenseuer/

Open Sewer/Obenseuer is a sort-of-sequel/in the same game world as the puzzle game INFRA, which was neat. Obenseuer started as a weird game like 5 years ago where you are dumped into a weird ghetto for the homeless and specifically those infected with or otherwise exposed to a new fungal disease from special hallucinogenic mushrooms found under the city of Stalburg. You, seemingly by administrative error, are given an entire tenement block. This is a Big Deal because most people are homeless and basically living under stairs and sitting around fire barrels outside and they're going to want apartments.

But before you embark on your big bad slumlord journey, you need to survive. Food and drink are relatively easy to come by, as is enough money to support yourself - but its very easy to fall victim to addictions, which you will start with at the very minimum at least one of. Getting rid of them can be tough, and if (realistically, when) you become infected with the fungal disease, that becomes expensive and cumbersome to manage. Trying to solve these while managing your depression, working various jobs to try and earn money, and then scavenge up enough dosh and materials to upgrade an apartment to the barest of livability is not easy. It's expensive and arduous but you can eventually get tenants and then money slowly starts to come easier, while you can find time to invest in new and exciting ways to make money. (Farming, brewing/distilling, etc.) Then you can upgrade and decorate your own apartment!

The game is playable now in its 'new' state. The prototype game released in like, 2018, was quite a bit different in everything but general vibe. Since then they've basically remade the entire game from the ground up. Just today the dev has released a public beta of the new state of the game. I was in the playtesters over the last few months and let me say that the game is definitely still janky, but they are very responsive to bugs and squash things regularly from their github. If you're looking for a smooth experience, give it a month or two. Otherwise I definitely hope you can support the devs because the game has amazingly weird vibes and literally no one has heard about it.

Cross posting again: Just dropping in to mention that the public stable release came out this morning. I'm sure its still not entirely perfect, but I've seen a lot of progress and having played this week it seems like a pretty good experience. There's still definitely a pretty defined 'this part of the game isn't finished' stop right now, but it takes quite awhile to get to that spot depending on how much you're focused on what I guess I'll call the 'plot.' (Plot is loose, here, since its just sorts of amalgamations of quests.)

Come check out this weird game! It rules!

Senrab
May 10, 2012
It's been mentioned in this thread before, but I had my eye on Vintage Story for a while so I just picked it up last week. After about 10 hours in it I like it more than I though I would.

I tried TerrafirmaCraft years ago and found it tedious to the point of joylessness. VS seems to hit a better balance between realism and fun. The act of crafting and surviving is the gameplay loop, compared to Vanilla Minecraft where survival is usually sorted after the first night and crafting is simple enough where you can make things quickly and get on with building/exploring. It's not a matter of one being better than the other, just different approaches to a very VERY similar idea.

I'm about to encounter my first Temporal Storm so who knows how well I'll survive that. It's the last big early game hurdle that I'm actually worried about, so if I make it out the other side I expect I'll keep playing this for a while.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It'll be fine. Drifters won't usually come inside your enclosed space. If you want to ramp it up, you can dig a moat/trench and they'll spend their time stuck there.

Plus if you so desire, you can play the game completely without the drifters and temporal storm stuff, which is pretty chill especially if you're solo. The last we played we had annoying drifter spawning in our yards despite it being pretty well lit and they're not supposed to spawn in brightly lit areas, so who knows.

My group is waiting for a stable 1.19 version soon'ish so we'll play a bit more probably then. Instead of everyone doing their own thing we're planning on making a small village together this time.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 17, 2023

Senrab
May 10, 2012
Co-operation is really tempting in a game like this just because of how much needs to be done in a typical day compared to how long the day actually lasts.

The drifters themselves haven't been too bad so far. I even found a bronze sword while exploring so I'm slightly better equipped than I should be at my current tech level. I haven't had issues of them spawning during the day outside of ones that pop out of the occasional rift. I wish there were a way to break those, I've been getting a lot on top of my base.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I just bought Vintage Story and I'm really not having a fun time?? I died about 10 times to wolves, and then had to play a cat and mouse game to try and get my stuff back. I killed a bunch of the wolves but was never able to harvest them as my knife was still amongst the pack. Once I'd finally gotten my knife back, it was nightfall and I couldn't find the wolf corpses.

I then spend the night near a caravan since it's the only source of light and I figure I'll manage my resources, organize, and decide what to do once dawn breaks. But no, instead the game decides to spawn a ridiculous amount of drifters. So I again start killing a few, but then I die to hunger. Running back to grab my stuff, the landscape is absolutely riddled with drifters.

This is a very un-fun experience and it makes me want to ragequit. Surely this can't be the game's idea of a fair beginning?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

First of all, ticking the box "Keep your inventory when you die" when you create a world is a QOL lifesaver. I don't think I could honestly play without it, even if it makes the game somewhat easier.

When you start the game, no shame to run away from wolves and bears. They are fierce, killing machines and will tear you to shreds in seconds.

Take them on when you feel like you can, or build a tower from mud and cheese them from the top of it by throwing spears or shooting rudimentary arrows.

Nights should be spent sleeping in the beginning as well. Make a hay bed out of grass and I think that lets you sleep 6,5 or 7,5 hours. You can make a torch and a firestarter at the very start, but the night is still full of terrors early on. You can also go inside the trader's cart to spend the night, if you want, but you can't sleep in their beds.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 17, 2023

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I don't know enough about the worldgen/spawn systems in VS yet but one thing I learned before I started playing was that wolves spawn in forests and are extremely dangerous, and as such forests should be avoided unless you're well geared.

I went through a couple of false starts deleting worlds until I found one with a spawn I considered relatively safe. Got mauled by a bear on my first attempt, my second I got killed by drifters because I didn't get set up in time for night. Third time was the charm, as it turns out the old minecraft strategy of digging a hole in the wall at night is still sound.

So I'm not sure. Maybe I got real lucky with my third seed? I spawned in plains and stayed out of the forests. 10 hours in and I still only poke my head into them cautiously.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
There's also a world gen option to stop surface drifter spawns for the first 10 days or so. After my first world I turned surface drifters and temporal storms off entirely, I don't find them interesting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Qubee posted:

So I just bought Vintage Story and I'm really not having a fun time?? I died about 10 times to wolves, and then had to play a cat and mouse game to try and get my stuff back. I killed a bunch of the wolves but was never able to harvest them as my knife was still amongst the pack. Once I'd finally gotten my knife back, it was nightfall and I couldn't find the wolf corpses.

I then spend the night near a caravan since it's the only source of light and I figure I'll manage my resources, organize, and decide what to do once dawn breaks. But no, instead the game decides to spawn a ridiculous amount of drifters. So I again start killing a few, but then I die to hunger. Running back to grab my stuff, the landscape is absolutely riddled with drifters.

This is a very un-fun experience and it makes me want to ragequit. Surely this can't be the game's idea of a fair beginning?
Yeah, you're really not supposed to be fighting wolves early on, especially not day one, when they kill you in like 2 hits.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It seems a bit silly that the game forces these encounters on day one, especially when it is very difficult to run away from said encounters. I knew messing with wolves was a big no no, but they were able to catch up to me whilst I was running away. I'll start a new world and try again with different settings.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've usually never had too much trouble fleeing from wolves unless the terrain so incredibly thickly forested or has lots of vertical surfaces. Generally the moment you hear a wolf or bear you should turn around and start running.

There are also mods that'll tone down how aggressive they are, such as this one that removes the player from their "this is food" list, so they'll only attack you if you get really close or attack them first.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1627

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Wolves and bears are dangerous but they aren't that ubiquitous normally, and usually their spawns will have a defined area you can avoid once you get a feel for it. Sucks that it was so close to spawn for you. The way I usually handle then is to carry around 3 spears and kite them on open ground, while retrieving thrown spears unarmored. If you aren't ready to tackle them, just run the instant you notice one as mentioned

I don't play with drifters enabled or temp storms since they suck IMO.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Issue was completely fixed when I generated a new world. Turns out I was just unfortunate enough to start in a heavily forested area with their spawn right on top of me. They should code something so that there's a safe zone where the player generates because that entire ordeal was almost enough to make me put the game down for good. I kept trying to run from the attacks but the terrain made it very hard.

New world is much more fun. I'm just getting my little homestead going. All the soil around me is low quality, do I need to relocate or can I shovel up high fertility soil and bring it back to base?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

Issue was completely fixed when I generated a new world. Turns out I was just unfortunate enough to start in a heavily forested area with their spawn right on top of me. They should code something so that there's a safe zone where the player generates because that entire ordeal was almost enough to make me put the game down for good. I kept trying to run from the attacks but the terrain made it very hard.

New world is much more fun. I'm just getting my little homestead going. All the soil around me is low quality, do I need to relocate or can I shovel up high fertility soil and bring it back to base?

The latter, and “Terra preta” which is the Real Good poo poo is only in weird pockets anyway, so if you want that for a farm you’re moving earth no matter what.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Qubee posted:

You can dig up better soil blocks and bring them back. However once tilled into farm blocks, they cannot be moved, as digging farm blocks destroys them. (mods can change this ofc)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Qubee posted:

It's worth noting that all hostile mobs in the game are bad at swimming. Vintage story is Walden simulator, so find a nice lake to live on and all your predator problems will be solved forever. Drifters will still throw stones at you, though. so you can't always escape them that way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This youtuber has a pleasant tone and a gentle pace and explains very carefully how Vintage Story works, so if you're up for watching a video or two, this might help.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_m19gCRJ123k2Mtn5o3uX3MAWCxCIU8j

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I also watched a lot of Kurazarrh's videos when I was starting out, very pleasant and can recommend. He only lost me when he showed that he had superior architechture skills I could never hope to match. (still copied his chicken coop design, though. But I never went far enough to use something like plaster in my houses.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I also watched a lot of Kurazarrh's videos when I was starting out, very pleasant and can recommend. He only lost me when he showed that he had superior architechture skills I could never hope to match. (still copied his chicken coop design, though. But I never went far enough to use something like plaster in my houses.)

He has a real talent with using blocks to make a house look nice! I never even got really good at that in Minecraft.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also I noticed what you linked is Season 2 and I believe I haven't even seen that, I just saw his initial videos. So it'll be new for me too.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

I've also been on a Vintage Story kick again, finally rebuilt back to windmill power and such.

I will also yell into the ether about the animals being ridiculously annoying and dangerous. I'm not even talking about wolves or bears. I think an adult ram can kill you in 3 hits. It definitely has a 'I either can't figure out how to make combat interesting', 'I'm too lazy to work on this right now', or the tried and true 'this is a hardcore game!' feel, that even rams do about 1/3 of your health in damage, whereas they take like 13 flint spear strikes.

Walk too close to your ram pen after a rough night against drifters? Well, hope you enjoy running back to your yard sale of items that got smeared across your homestead.

I'd say the combat is the worst part of the game (once you learn how to prospect), and I haven't seen the devs make a peep about fixing it any time soon. There's a reason ancient Romans used to pillar up to fight their enemies, it's the only effective strat!

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Turning walk speed to fast in Vintage Story means you can naruto-run away from everything, making wolves and bears less of an immediate game over, and generally making traversing the massive landscape much less tedious.

Couple that with the hunter class and a decent bow/arrows and you'll never worry about wildlife again!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I gotta be real I've never played with drifters enabled. They make such godawful noises and I have enough to worry about just trying not to die of wildlife.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I gotta be real I've never played with drifters enabled. They make such godawful noises and I have enough to worry about just trying not to die of wildlife.

Drifters give me the same sense of dread and absolute fear that the darn Minecraft tunnel sound gives. First night I experienced Drifters, I almost Alt+F4'd out of sheer terror. I really don't handle horror elements very well.

Also, I think I can speak for most grown adults everywhere when I say killing a ram would be relatively easy. I also don't imagine a ram could do much damage to me unless it managed to topple me over. Okay I was talking smack about rams but I realise now how wrong I truly was. They weigh upwards of 120kg and can be 1.8m from head to tail. I was thinking of male sheep but this are on steroids. Makes them killing us in game less ridiculous now that I think about it. Still annoying though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

All this Vintage Story talk got me to start up a new game today. First day was a bit bodged up, but 3 days in and we've finally gotten our reed had baskets completed (4 each) and are just waiting for tomorrow morning for our first clay pot and bowls to finish firing so we can eat non-burned food again.

I like the mod that lets you carry boxes on your back so we're firing up clay vessels too so we can be more nomadic without leaving junk lying everywhere behind us.

Temporal storms off, of course.

HopperUK posted:

This youtuber has a pleasant tone and a gentle pace and explains very carefully how Vintage Story works, so if you're up for watching a video or two, this might help.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_m19gCRJ123k2Mtn5o3uX3MAWCxCIU8j

Kurazarrh is great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Varsity posted:

I've also been on a Vintage Story kick again, finally rebuilt back to windmill power and such.

I will also yell into the ether about the animals being ridiculously annoying and dangerous.

I think a lot of it stems from the armor and monsters working on a tier system. It's just a straight gear check, armor tier doesn't match the monster tier? You're gonna have a bad day. It's not particularly engaging or interesting, in my opinion. Either you devote a whole of time time to farming flax to making quilted armor, or a bunch of time to hunting and tanning hides to make leather, and now you don't die to three hits! Congrats! Bleh.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Arrath posted:

I think a lot of it stems from the armor and monsters working on a tier system. It's just a straight gear check, armor tier doesn't match the monster tier? You're gonna have a bad day. It's not particularly engaging or interesting, in my opinion. Either you devote a whole of time time to farming flax to making quilted armor, or a bunch of time to hunting and tanning hides to make leather, and now you don't die to three hits! Congrats! Bleh.

you don't die to three hits for a little while until it breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I still remember putting so much effort into a full suit of iron plate as the first armor I ever tried, feeling invincible in it for all of... like ten seconds (exaggerating, but it's the sentiment) before it breaks and ceases to be, taking literal hours of playtime with it. There was a mod that become wedged into my modlist after that, that increased armor durability and let you repair it? but it's been awhile.