Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah the last time I was at MoA I was 11

snipe: numberrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I just got back from backpacking the grand canyon for over a week. One of my main take aways? Even 3 days from civilization, you can't escape advertisements. In the sole of almost every shoe or boot is some loving brand logo screaming at you in the dust of a hiking trail. Truly we live in hell.

lol that owns

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Nodelphi posted:

How is the mall of America not a burned out hellscape dead mall? I’ve been there, it’s absurdly large, there is no way it generates enough retail revenue for all of those places to remain open.

My guess is money laundering. Its supposed to lose money.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BULBASAUR posted:

I just got back from backpacking the grand canyon for over a week. One of my main take aways? Even 3 days from civilization, you can't escape advertisements. In the sole of almost every shoe or boot is some loving brand logo screaming at you in the dust of a hiking trail. Truly we live in hell.

"People should leave only footprints"

But it's fine, I'm sure there was all kind of trash left behind too.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

"People should leave only footprints"

But it's fine, I'm sure there was all kind of trash left behind too.

lol

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

the only intact relic of the human species that will be found by the cyborg-octopoidian archaeologists will be a fossilized advertisement for dick pills

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005
Has anyone received donation requests from hospitals attached to their bill?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Ryguy005 posted:

Has anyone received donation requests from hospitals attached to their bill?

They send out letters with prepaid envelopes around here. I donate all the coupons I don't want. I'm sure the bogo for depends will come in handy.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/JacobsVegasLife/status/1725704635015643180

https://twitter.com/sfb45/status/1725794766485442889

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

loving lmao

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
The tickets are $18k, they’re not going to let people watch for free

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Glumwheels posted:

The tickets are $18k, they’re not going to let people watch for free
ticket prices plummeted this week. luxury hotels available for $18. this thing is a huge flop, without even mentioning the on the track disasters

https://themessenger.com/sports/night-in-an-18-hotel-room-las-vegas-grand-prix

lol

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
lol someone photoshop that equality/equity kids watching a baseball game meme to add a third slide with a big tarp hung up to block them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The event organizer was too lazy to seal all the sewer drains over the track so a car went over one and got destroyed and it's derailed the whole thing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

why is f1 a whole hype bubble all of a sudden. because people realized it's rich people nascar or something?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

triple sulk posted:

why is f1 a whole hype bubble all of a sudden. because people realized it's rich people nascar or something?

why is everything a hype bubble all of a sudden

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Centrist Committee posted:

why is everything a hype bubble all of a sudden

always has been

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

triple sulk posted:

saudi oil money

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

ticket prices plummeted this week. luxury hotels available for $18. this thing is a huge flop, without even mentioning the on the track disasters

https://themessenger.com/sports/night-in-an-18-hotel-room-las-vegas-grand-prix

lol

Between that and the sphere going bankrupt maybe Vegas has finally jumped the shark

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

triple sulk posted:

formula 1 was purchased by American private equity

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

triple sulk posted:

everything las vegas is a gold rush because of sports gambling

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Shear Modulus posted:

everything las vegas is a gold rush because of sports gambling

Yeah the venn diagram for meme stock bag holders, crypto junkies and sports betting has to have a huge overlap. Seems like a prime Vegas demographic. Wasn’t there an ape F1 team at some point?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The event organizer was too lazy to seal all the sewer drains over the track so a car went over one and got destroyed and it's derailed the whole thing

*Shakes head sadly* CHUDs at it again...

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah the venn diagram for meme stock bag holders, crypto junkies and sports betting has to have a huge overlap. Seems like a prime Vegas demographic. Wasn’t there an ape F1 team at some point?

I don't think so but there was one with a fake energy drink that was very obviously a money laundering/financial crime vehicle (literally and figuratively).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Energy

it's an incredible rabbit hole to dive down.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

im surprised its not been featured on dan bell's dead mall series already

Nodelphi posted:

How is the mall of America not a burned out hellscape dead mall? I’ve been there, it’s absurdly large, there is no way it generates enough retail revenue for all of those places to remain open.

MOA gets 40M+ visitors a year, it is maybe the least dead mall in the country. Now just 8 miles to the southwest...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=burnsville+center+dead+mall

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

triple sulk posted:

There's a Netflix series covering it since like 2017. There can be a lot of team and driver and rules drama and it lends itself to this kind of coverage. I imagine that's what driving F1 hype in the US.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

formula 1 was purchased by American private equity

this seems to be the best answer!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is it wrong that i hope openai falls apart and by proxy ends up killing thousands of startups that decided to pivot hard into ai, thereby making hundreds of thousands more tech people suffer and experience how loving lovely the market is

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

triple sulk posted:

is it wrong that i hope openai falls apart and by proxy ends up killing thousands of startups that decided to pivot hard into ai, thereby making hundreds of thousands more tech people suffer and experience how loving lovely the market is

Nope.

A.I is a real thing that has potential for great promise. poo poo like OpenAI and ChatGPT are just stupid toys that aren't going to change poo poo for the better.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

"the paddock club" is a bit on the nose for a Las Vegas event...

quote:

Where is the best place to watch the Las Vegas F1 race?

The number one place in town is the Paddock Club. This elite-level hospitality puts you right at the heart of the event, offering the opportunity for pit walkabouts, exclusive interview sessions with drivers and team principals, and limitless food and drinks.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nope.

A.I is a real thing that has potential for great promise. poo poo like OpenAI and ChatGPT are just stupid toys that aren't going to change poo poo for the better.

ai isn't real

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

ai isn't real

It's in the name...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

toys r us wasn't a zombie company, it was a healthy victim of an evil vampire, get your business monsters straight

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

triple sulk posted:

I personally know know a few people that are all about F1 now, men and women. don’t get it really but I’ve never asked why.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Nodelphi posted:

Living in Minnesota with five months of winter, MOA is nice to visit annually in mid January to get out of the house and walk around. Not sure why anyone would fly in for it, though.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

sonatinas posted:

I personally know know a few people that are all about F1 now, men and women. don’t get it really but I’ve never asked why.

F1 was fun/interesting if you are really really into the cutting edge of automotive engineering, also the cars take left and right turns during the race instead of driving in a stupid circle.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

triple sulk posted:

insofar that you'll have even more competition for the jobs you're struggling to get interviews for, probably not the direction you want to see things moving

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Regardless the AI poo poo is a bubble that's rapidly inflating even if the broad category of nueral network stuff does have real applications. Gotta be a crash on it at some point

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think AI investment has a lot more of a future than crypto/blockchain or metaverse did at similar points in the hype cycle if only because the government and military is taking a big interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

i think AI investment has a lot more of a future than crypto/blockchain or metaverse did at similar points in the hype cycle if only because the government and military is taking a big interest

Yeah generative autocomplete can actually "make" things and accelerate work, whereas crypto and Metaverse was just various twists on speculation and rent-seeking. It's a different ballgame even if the market is using the same playbook to wildly inflate its value